• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny beta coming to Xbox One & Xbox 360 in late July

That doesn't make any sense, though. Not only did the xbox architecture not have any time during the alpha, even less time with the beta only ensures more issues with the release on xbox systems. I think that is not right or fair to the consumer and hurts the overall product. Isn't the point of betas/alphas to help improve the game on each system instead of being a glorified demo? I'd really like a Bungie or any other developer break down how this does not hurt the xbox and lessen the experience. It's like Bungie completely turned their backs on the console group that got them to where they are now. Very disappointed.

What makes you so sure Bungie is responsible for the four-day exclusivity of the beta on PS4/PS3? Or the Alpha not being available on the Xbox One?

Orayn

Hmm, would the trick where you preorder on Amazon and then cancel work for the 360 beta? I'd love to try this out, but that's the only compatible platform I currently own.

Mr Moose

Hmm, would the trick where you preorder on Amazon and then cancel work for the 360 beta? I'd love to try this out, but that's the only compatible platform I currently own.

Won't hurt to try (they sent my PS4 beta code straight away).

That doesn't make any sense, though. Not only did the xbox architecture not have any time during the alpha, even less time with the beta only ensures more issues with the release on xbox systems. I think that is not right or fair to the consumer and hurts the overall product. Isn't the point of betas/alphas to help improve the game on each system instead of being a glorified demo? I'd really like a Bungie or any other developer break down how this does not hurt the xbox and lessen the experience. It's like Bungie completely turned their backs on the console group that got them to where they are now. Very disappointed.

Xbox has Evolve beta to look forward to and many others in the future, I am sure.

Kelsey

Banned
Pretty much the same as Titanfall hate

Which is odd since there is in fact no Destiny hate in this thread, but there is a bunch of Titanfall hate. Go figure.

Yes. Amazon just sends you a code to use at Bungie.net. From there you decide the platform.

Slightly off topic..

I preordered Destiny (PS3) off Amazon back in October. Should I have received my beta code yet? Because I don't think it was sent to me.

Still undecided on which console to buy this on, so I'm really looking forward to impressions of the Xbone version and comparisons between the two.

Bsigg12

Slightly off topic..

I preordered Destiny (PS3) off Amazon back in October. Should I have received my beta code yet? Because I don't think it was sent to me.

Its a 9 digit code you enter on Bungie.net not a typical PSN/Xbox Live code but yes you should have received it (including in Europe now I believe. I could be wrong though).

Kelsey

Banned
Slightly off topic..

If it was anything like my pre-orders, the beta code arrived faster than the pre-order confirmation even arrived.

Orayn

Won't hurt to try (they sent my PS4 beta code straight away).

Yes. Amazon just sends you a code to use at Bungie.net. From there you decide the platform.

Then I'll do that and resubscribe to Xbox Live for the first time since 2012 when I still needed it to play Dark Souls online. Also, I'll be a brave guinea pig and share my impressions of the image quality and framerate on last-gen.

Bsigg12

Then I'll do that and resubscribe to Xbox Live for the first time since 2012 when I still need it to play Dark Souls online. Also, I'll be brave guinea pig and share my impressions of the image quality and framerate on last-gen.

I'm sure it'll be serviceable. The PS4 version looked great during the alpha but it wasn't doing anything groundbreaking.

Novak

I just preordered on Amazon. Hopefully I wont forget to cancel :)

I just read that Destiny is peer-to-peer MP so I definitely have to test this before buying. I don't remember when was the last time I played P2P competitive MP. Probably Gears2 and we all know how awful was that.

Bsigg12

I don't know if I should play this on my ps3 first or wait for the xbox one beta.

Why not both? If you have two preorders you can enter both codes on B.net and get 2 different beta codes when they send them out. Just have a friend or family member do the order and cancel for you and grab the code for it.

Korben

Banned
Isn't the point of betas/alphas to help improve the game on each system instead of being a glorified demo?It's like Bungie completely turned their backs on the console group that got them to where they are now. Very disappointed.

YybKtVC.gif

Bungie owes nothing to the gamers (in this particular case, Xbox owners). They built an epic saga with three good games, so people bought their "products". Period.

As for the "alpha", don't worry, this is actually more a "glorified demo" (a little exaggerated, but still) than a "dirty build" like DayZ (during the first month). They just wanted (in my opinion) to test their servers.

About the (timed or no) exclusives contents, it's part of the gaming industry (and i don't like it either), but i'm sure people who are complaining about the "Destiny x PS" case were also very angry when MS were (is) doing it with others games...

So Xbox owners, take a beta code ("amazon trick" if you don't want to pay) and play the damn (good) game. It's fucking multiplatform, there is nothing to complain about and calling out Bungie for the whole "exclusive content" case is way beyond hypocritical.

sjay1994

Worked for me for the PS4 version on ebgames.

They sent me a code back in december, you plug it into bungies website, and once the beta is ready bungie will send a code. Cancelled the pre order, still have the code.

Winner, winner chicken dinner.

Kuse

Banned
YybKtVC.gif

Bungie owes nothing to the gamers (in this particular case, Xbox owners). They built an epic saga with three good games, so people bought their "products". Period.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one right there. Xbox Owners made Halo as popular/successful as it was, it is still a very beloved franchise. For Bungie to jump in bed with Sony out the gate is a slight to their original fans -Xbox Owners-.

What's funny to me is the amount of grief that Sony fans have given Bungie all these years (when they were with Xbox) but now that they make a game for everyone, they are the greatest thing since sliced bread..

This is just an example of double standards that I have seen since all these changes with Destiny and next gen overall.

Kelsey

Banned
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one right there. Xbox Owners made Halo as popular/successful as it was, it is still a very beloved franchise. For Bungie to jump in bed with Sony out the gate is a slight to their original fans -Xbox Owners-.

What's funny to me is the amount of grief that Sony fans have given Bungie all these years (when they were with Xbox) but now that they make a game for everyone, they are the greatest thing since sliced bread..

This is just an example of double standards that I have seen since all these changes with Destiny and next gen overall.

Bungie jumped into bed with Activision, not Sony. Activision jumped into bed with Sony, much as they have done with MS for years.

Played the alpha. Gotta be completely honest, felt weird playing a bungie game with the playstation controller. You can really see the halo inspiration. Can't wait to play this on xbox. If anyone wants to add me on xbox live for this my gt is OfficerV

Agreed, I'm going to do the beta on Xbox to see whether the controller preference is enough to switch platforms. I added you. Does anybody know if there's an XBL gamertag thread for Destiny?

Korben

Banned

Bungie made Halo a popular/successful game. This success is linked to the quality of the "product", not the "kindness" /"help" /"love" / whatever of any gamers. And if Bungie was so much "into Sony", Destiny would have been exclusive.

It's multiplatform, so there is nothing to complain about.

I don't know about the "Sony fans spitting on Bungie". To be honest, i don't think PS gamers really cared about the "Bungie x MS" case, not to mention most of Bungie's games were on PC anyway.

As for the "double standards", MS fanboys are really giving us a lesson about it, since they were riding Bungie's d*** for so long that when Bungie went for some new pu*** (without abandoning Xbox), they felt "betrayed" and now Bungie is Satan...

Nothing stop this paranoid / hypocritical train apparently.

Back to the topic, i'm glad most gamers will access this excellent game, now let's light a candle for PC gamers. I don't think Destiny will reach this platform (because of PS3/360 mostly), but i can see hope for Destiny 2 on PC. Believe.

To the Xbox owners (and future Destiny players): Rendez-vous in the Beta Withdrawal Thread when we're done with this game in late July.

cresto

What makes you so sure Bungie is responsible for the four-day exclusivity of the beta on PS4/PS3? Or the Alpha not being available on the Xbox One?

This may be due to my ignorance as far as how developers and publishers interact, but I have to believe Bungie has some say in what happens. Unless I am wrong and Activision is at the front of the boat beating on the drum while Bungie rows. I just want an equally performing game. Hypothetically, if the game has serious issues at launch, I think you will see my point. I am not so upset with the game having exclusive content. I doubt I will even notice if the game is as big as they say it is.

Bungie made Halo a popular/successful game. This success is linked to the quality of the "product", not the "kindness" /"help" /"love" / whatever of any gamers. And if Bungie was so much "into Sony", Destiny would have been exclusive.

It's multiplatform, so there is nothing to complain about.

I don't know about the "Sony fans spitting on Bungie". To be honest, i don't think PS gamers really cared about the "Bungie x MS" case, not to mention most of Bungie's games were on PC anyway.

As for the "double standards", MS fanboys are really giving us a lesson about it, since they were riding Bungie's d*** for so long that when Bungie went for some new pu*** (without abandoning Xbox), they felt "betrayed" and now Bungie is Satan...

Nothing stop this paranoid / hypocritical train apparently.

Back to the topic, i'm glad most gamers will access this excellent game, now let's light a candle for PC gamers. I don't think Destiny will reach this platform (because of PS3/360 mostly), but i can see hope for Destiny 2 on PC. Believe.

To the Xbox owners (and future Destiny players): Rendez-vous in the Beta Withdrawal Thread when we're done with this game in late July.

Can you say anything constructive? Consumers make the game successful by buying the product. If we, as consumers, don't like it, then the developer/publish is done for as we have seen time and time again in the past 5-10 years. This isn't some sort of fanboy angst and temper tantrum. It's just a desire for a transparency between consoles and if a few extra days in the beta are excluded and an inferior product is released in Sept then I will be right.

This may be due to my ignorance as far as how developers and publishers interact, but I have to believe Bungie has some say in what happens. Unless I am wrong and Activision is at the front of the boat beating on the drum while Bungie rows. I just want an equally performing game. Hypothetically, if the game has serious issues at launch, I think you will see my point. I am not so upset with the game having exclusive content. I doubt I will even notice if the game is as big as they say it is.
Either way, you look pretty silly blaming Bungie when you don't know for sure if they're at fault

cresto

Either way, you look pretty silly blaming Bungie when you don't know for sure if they're at fault

I am going to have to disagree with you, but I understand your point. Like I said, I am mainly concerned with getting an inferior product.

I am going to have to disagree with you, but I understand your point. Like I said, I am mainly concerned with getting an inferior product.
I understand your concern for getting an inferior product. What I'm taking issue with is you blaming Bungie when you don't know for sure Bungie is at fault.

I don't know about you, but making assumptions to blame a certain group of people, when you aren't sure those people are responsible, doesn't seem like a smart thing to do, nor does it sound too productive for a conversation.

Korben

Banned
Can you say anything constructive? Consumers make the game successful by buying the product. If we, as consumers, don't like it, then the developer/publish is done for as we have seen time and time again in the past 5-10 years. This isn't some sort of fanboy angst and temper tantrum. It's just a desire for a transparency between consoles and if a few extra days in the beta are excluded and an inferior product is released in Sept then I will be right.

Constructive ? You mean like you ? Because like Dax01 said, you seem kind of direct in your conclusions.

Anyway, you've just confirmed what i was saying, if Halo worked, it's because this is a good "product" (with a solid marketing plan of course, like any other game), not because it was sold to Xbox gamers.

As for the quality of the product (Destiny), i said it in my first post, don't worry, the "alpha" was more a "glorified demo" and was pretty stable. I think they did this for testing their servers.

Relax. It's going to be fine.

BokehKing

Banned
As I have said before, Xbox fans have no one but Microsoft to blame for whatever disrespect you think you're feeling.

The sense of entitlement in this thread is purely disgusting though, I would expect it if you were not getting the game at all, but you're, and then we will welcome you to join us in the withdrawal thread at the end of July.

It's a healing process we will all have to go through together, Sony and Microsoft fans together, United.

The beta "exclusive" is meaningless, IMO.

It doesn't carry over to the live retail version.

I hope Sony didn't spend too much money on a 4-day timed exclusive for expendable content...

Raide

Holy crap! They acknowledged the Xbox versions actually exist! Great for more Bungie games on multiple platforms.

In the past it has been a lot to expect from a developer to make a single public beta/demo, Let alone 2, 1 of which is on 4 different consoles. Its probably nothing short of a development pipeline miracle that this is happening in the first place.

The exclusive deal with Sony may be the reason for this, but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that those versions just needed a bit more time to get together.

cakely

It's like Bungie completely turned their backs on the console group that got them to where they are now. Very disappointed.

At one point, Bungie was known for the development of a variety of different Mac games, including Marathon, and Myth. In 1999, at the MacWorld expo, Bungie announced a brand-new IP: Halo. It was going to be Mac/PC game.

Microsoft acquired Bungie in 2000, and made them into a studio that only developed Halo for Xbox consoles. Bungie managed to extract themselves from Microsoft and become an independent Studio in 2007, but Microsoft kept the Halo IP.

Seven years later Bungie is releasing it's first new, multi-platform IP, Destiny.

Bungie doesn't owe Microsoft, or Microsoft fans, anything. Don't be disappointed, you can still buy Destiny on your platform of choice, unlike Mac owners which saw Halo made into an Xbox exclusive.

Those always amuse me because the differences are usually negligible.

Well. Pretty sure quite a few multiplatform games have had some pretty large differences so far. TombRaider had double the framerate and Metal Gear had double the resolution. With improved textures and effects to boot.

The multiplatform games that have so far had negligible differences are not exactly lookers.

They have said Destiny will strive for image parity between the two consoles, meaning the ps4 will be running the game with tons of headroom to spare.

If a game has "negligible differences", that doesn't mean the hardware is equivalent. it just means the game isn't very demanding. We've seen plenty of examples of multiplatform games with significant advantages on the 4, and ps4's first party offerings, especially the ones soon to be released, show a significant power gap.

That said, since "sales gap" has been brought up, I really don't think this game is going to do anything for the xbone. Ps4 has the advertising, they have that glacier white Destiny bundle, they have significant exclusive DLC and content, and they have the word of mouth of being the best version.

As we have seen in NPD threads, the majority or multiplatform and multiplayer games are being run on the 4.

cresto

I understand your concern for getting an inferior product. What I'm taking issue with is you blaming Bungie when you don't know for sure Bungie is at fault.

I don't know about you, but making assumptions to blame a certain group of people, when you aren't sure those people are responsible, doesn't seem like a smart thing to do, nor does it sound too productive for a conversation.

Whether Bungie or Activision or Sony is the one making the decisions, I still believe that no matter what, all the choices Bungie as a group has made has brought it to this situation. It still comes down to the path they chose, no? As long as there is no huge discrepancies between the games, there is no issue. I just hope less time for xbox owners doesn't produce an inferior product. That's it.

Nipo

I think the four day exclusive access would be a bigger deal if Xbox players got into the Alpha as well.

If I hadn't played the alpha I wouldn't know what I am missing. Now, after playing the alpha, if I knew i had to wait an extra four days to get back in due to my platform choice I'd be bouncing off he walls for those days waiting.

It's like Bungie completely turned their backs on the console group that got them to where they are now. Very disappointed.

It's like you're approaching this from the viewpoint of a 13 year old going through a massive hormonal upheaval.

First of all, Bungie got itself to where it is now. They made great games, and an audience bought those games. Happened to be on Xbox. Now they're gonna put a great game on PS4 and it'll sell really well there. The common factor here isn't the audience, it's that the company releases great games.

Second, and most obvious - the game is frickin coming out on all consoles. Day and date. As a matter of fact, if having your ego stroked as an Xbox fan is what you're looking for, Bungie gave enough of a crap to take the opportunity to squeeze the extra Kinect-juice into the Xbox version.

Top Bottom