• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Beta for everyone who pre-ordered the game with PlayStation+

Agreed. And I'd take it a step further. Despite all the pre-release hype, there seems to be a fair amount of mediocre reactions to the game footage that has been shown so far. I fall into that camp. After being really hyped for Destiny for months my enthusiasm bubble was instantly popped when I saw the last couple gameplay vids and more info leaked about the always online restrictions. I am really not feeling this game right now. In the span of a few weeks I've gone from "Day One! Take my money!" to "Meh, maybe I'll pick it up in a few months if theres a 50% off sale...or if they release a GOTY edition...or maybe never".

Judging from reactions on GAF I know I'm not alone. Now, whether or not GAF is a representative sample or not is another question...but given that Activision is betting the farm on this game they cant afford for it to just sell OK or even pretty good like Titanfall. This thing needs to set records.

In light of this I think offering up the beta to PS+ subbers is brilliant because, really, the only way Destiny hits the sales targets they need is word of mouth. And the only way that happens is if the buzz gets steadily better again before launch. This is really the only possible way to win people like myself over at this point. After seeing the gameplay look so pedestrian and boring in videos, its clear that if this game is going to win me over I need to play it and hopefully something that cant be seen when watching but only experienced when playing will suck me in.

Edit: never mind. Lol Apparently this was all a mistake. Oh well, I'm officially back to "meh" status again.

I fully agree with everything you said and I still think it's an idea they need to pursue at some point. The Alpha buzz is the only reason this game is on my radar at all.

I pre-ordered the game from Amazon for the code. I'll probably cancel the pre-order. Activision and Sony should realize that this is easy to exploit but only for the people who were already plugged into their feeds to begin with. If they expand, they have the potential to tap everyone and say, "Hey, have you seen this? Try it!" Considering the quality of the game from what I hear, this would be a massive boon.

Well it's still there on the blog (EU):

You can't be more direct than this.

But someone clearly changed his mind in the last hour :/

I don't think so. They're saying, "hey, if you have the Destiny beta, that's on its way too." No difference there.

Matush

That's BS, really bad wording on their (and my Twitter post part). It's strange, it looks like they change their mind in the last minute.

Katsa

Banned
BoAUivz.png

https://twitter.com/Envisager_/status/481858839722336256

Nooooooo! I guess back to plan A....eh.

Someone dropped a reyt bollock, I'm sure there'll be a few words in ears.

Before it got corrected though, I have the pre-order (which I can cancel, but I want the game) and got the code for free anyway, which anyone can do via Amazon, so I don't see why there would have been any problems if it was the case that all PS+ could access it.

More people to shoot in the face on Crucible mode innit.

Relly

Banned
So have you pre ordered?

That white ps4 bundle is calling my name. If that's the only way to get it, who knows? Maybe I will.

But that's something exclusive and worth it. Only problem would be selling my ps4. I don't think I could sell it to a game store for a fraction of what it's worth just for them to sell it at 90% of the price.

That's why I don't even sell my games anymore after I beat them.

A few years back, I bought gta iv, it was $65 with tax. So I get home, play the game for like an hour only to find out my girl bought me the game already and wanted to surprise me. She had just got home to tell me, so I rush over to the eb (or was it a gs by then?) I bought the game from, with receipt, one hour and fifteen minutes after purchase to sell it or get trade in value. They offered me $26.. On the day the game released, within an hour of my purchase. The game would had a $55 sticker attached to it.

I wound up selling it to a friend for $45

RedAssedApe

Banned
Agreed. And I'd take it a step further. Despite all the pre-release hype, there seems to be a fair amount of mediocre reactions to the game footage that has been shown so far. I fall into that camp. After being really hyped for Destiny for months my enthusiasm bubble was instantly popped when I saw the last couple gameplay vids and more info leaked about the always online restrictions. I am really not feeling this game right now. In the span of a few weeks I've gone from "Day One! Take my money!" to "Meh, maybe I'll pick it up in a few months if theres a 50% off sale...or if they release a GOTY edition...or maybe never".

Judging from reactions on GAF I know I'm not alone. Now, whether or not GAF is a representative sample or not is another question...but given that Activision is betting the farm on this game they cant afford for it to just sell OK or even pretty good like Titanfall. This thing needs to set records.

In light of this I think offering up the beta to PS+ subbers is brilliant because, really, the only way Destiny hits the sales targets they need is word of mouth. And the only way that happens is if the buzz gets steadily better again before launch. This is really the only possible way to win people like myself over at this point. After seeing the gameplay look so pedestrian and boring in videos, its clear that if this game is going to win me over I need to play it and hopefully something that cant be seen when watching but only experienced when playing will suck me in.

Edit: never mind. Lol Apparently this was all a mistake. Oh well, I'm officially back to "meh" status again.

Games don't need GAF seal of approval to sell well. Watch_Dogs is the most recent example. There was so much negativity surrounding that game on GAF (downgrade-athon...GTA clone...etc.). Shit netted Ubisoft its best first day sales, best week sales, and best sales ever for new IP.

Predict that Destiny will sell well. Wouldn't be surprised if it broke Watch_Dogs records. Not much competition in September.

-Digits-

Guess I'm preordering now. Just kidding, still deciding on that. People took this rumor better than I expected. I figured there'd be a fit or two thrown.

Caja 117

That white ps4 bundle is calling my name. If that's the only way to get it, who knows? Maybe I will.

But that's something exclusive and worth it. Only problem would be selling my ps4. I don't think I could sell it to a game store for a fraction of what it's worth just for them to sell it at 90% of the price.

Gamestop is paying almost 400 dollars for the ps4 is you trade in for that bundle.

Dominator

The only way I would preorder a game is if the exclusive content is worth it. Otherwise I just get the game, usually a week early anyway ( Rockstar has street dates on lockdown, so gta is the only game I usually wait on line for)
Are you forgetting almost every single game has extra content included when you pre-order? It's free so why wouldn't you? Even if that stuff is available down the line it most likely wouldn't be free.

ColEx

It did sound a little strange. I pre-ordered from Amazon after the Alpha and received my beta code instantly.

Relly

Banned
Gamestop is paying almost 400 dollars for the ps4 is you trade in for that bundle.

Wow really? Times have changed! Now that's actually not bad.

What would I have to do? Wipe/swap the hdd data to a usb for the new ps4?

I bought my ps4 from target though.. (Had the smallest line, waited 30 minutes day 1) does it have to be a gamestop purchased ps4? I mean, obviously, right?

It did sound a little strange. I pre-ordered from Amazon after the Alpha and received my beta code instantly.

This! For all the people upset this is the way to go. You can pre-order, get the code and then cancel pre-order without having to pay a dime. Quick and easy.

This is what I did originally but after playing the Alpha I pre-ordered on PSN. I can't wait for it to drop now!

Caja 117

Wow really? Times have changed! Now that's actually not bad.

What would I have to do? Wipe/swap the hdd data to a usb for the new ps4?

I bought my ps4 from target though.. (Had the smallest line, waited 30 minutes day 1) does it have to be a gamestop purchased ps4? I mean, obviously, right?

No, it doesnt have to be purchased at Gamestop. and the data of your PS4 should had been saving on the cloud storage.

After that, the trade you would most likely pay around 70 or 80 dollars, the bundle cost 450 if Im not mistaken (the clerk told me it was 80, but you can ask them about it and they should tell you how much it is exactly) anyways is sounds good given you are getting a brand new PS4 with the game and 1 month of PS+

Artorias

Banned
Already had a code from somewhere, but this is nice.
The alpha didn't convince me at all, especially the MP shooter part.
I don't like MMO's and co-op games like borderlands, so I guess the "SP" (with very small teams online from what I've seen) probably isn't for me anyway.
Horrible spawning, generic setting etc.
Nice panorama's and skybox though!
Shooting feels good too.

The beta might convince me to jump in, but I doubt it will happen.

edit: beta is PS4 exclusive or what? that would suck for other platforms

This is a beautiful poem.

Pimpwerx

Am I the only one who preordered on PSN? I called them and codes aren't going out until next week or so. Just fyi. PEACE.

Judging from reactions on GAF I know I'm not alone.
Now, whether or not GAF is a representative sample or not is another question...but given that Activision is betting the farm on this game they cant afford for it to just sell OK or even pretty good like Titanfall. This thing needs to set records.

Reaction to the alpha on GAF was overwhelmingly positive and there hasn't been any 'info leaked' about always online requirements. The game was always presented as a persistent online world and that has always meant online only.

bebop242

No, it doesnt have to be purchased at Gamestop. and the data of your PS4 should had been saving on the cloud storage.

After that, the trade you would most likely pay around 70 or 80 dollars, the bundle cost 450 if Im not mistaken (the clerk told me it was 80, but you can ask them about it and they should tell you how much it is exactly) anyways is sounds good given you are getting a brand new PS4 with the game and 1 month of PS+

I'm actually pretty tempted to do this. Since I have Destiny paid off already, it would be an even swap for the most part. Only issue is going without a PS4 for a couple months.

Caja 117

I'm actually pretty tempted to do this. Since I have Destiny paid off already, it would be an even swap for the most part. Only issue is going without a PS4 for a couple months.

Thats the reason I havent done it, I will however get at least the White Controller.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
I think this could be misleading, as there was a mission in the Alpha which was the dungeon type thing, and it required PS+ to play it.

What require PS+:

Crucible (PvP multiplayer)
Strike Missions

What doesn't:
Story
Exploration

xPhinehas

^ Doesn't read.

On topic I almost died the other day driving to Gamestop to preorder my copy...worth it! Excited to play the Beta on the 17th since I didn't get into the Alpha.

Top Bottom