• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Beta Xbox One footage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orayn

No, some people are mistaking wantong the game to look better on PS4 (for obvious reasons) with wanting it to look bad on the X1 (which isn't the case). I'll wait till a head to head analysis but if they did go for parity it's a no go. Will pick it up at the used game bin. Let's hope not sincd I'm pretty hyped for it

If a game can run in last-gen systems, it's already being massively limited by that, which is much worse than parity.

Just give up. Cancel your Destiny preorder and never play a non-exclusive PS4 game again if you're that obsessed with this shit.

zedge

If a game can run in last-gen systems, it's already being massively limited by that, which is much worse than parity.

Cancel your Destiny preorder, retreat to some bizarre fortress of Sony supremacy, and never play any non-exclusive. If you're that horrified at the idea of one version of a game limiting the potential glory of PS4, just give up now.

You have my sword.

im drunk

abadguy

Banned
No, pretty creative stuff came out during the PS2 period despite having inferior hardware. In fact, some of them still hold up. But we don't live in such a creative period anymore to make up for inferior hardware, for maybe except Nintendo.

You know good and well I was talking more about how it was obviously holding back the more powerful Gamecube and Xbox. Also obviously we do in fact live in a "creative period" with games and no Ninty isn't the only ones putting them out.

You know good and well I was talking more about how it was obviously holding back the more powerful Gamecube and Xbox. Also obviously we do in fact live in a "creative period" with games and no Ninty isn't the only ones putting them out.
Yes, so why should I hate the PS2 era then? The release dates of the PS2, GameCube and Xbox are also very apart to explain difference in the power of the hardware. We live in another kind of creative period IMO, but I liked the PS2 era more tbqh, even when taking nostalgie goggles off.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
No, most developers develop in two strata, one for last gen and one for next gen. They won't bother too much with squeezing the very last ounce of power out of the PS4 if the lowest next-gen denominator is XB1. They'll just make 1 next gen port, since this time architectures are very similar right down to the CPU and GPU, and tweak settings higher for PS4.

I would be annoyed too if I found out a game was not optimized to queeze the very last drop of power out the console I payed $400+ for because some idiot executives of a competing console decided a 1.3 TFLOP GPU would be enough for 10+ years. That's a decision I made deliberately to experience the superior multiplatform console titles.

The very legitimate fear is that multiplatform development on XB1 will hold back PS4 and even PC titles. Developers will not come outright and say this parity thing is real. What happens when 6 years down the line a multiplatform developer wants to implement a feature in their game but can't due to the slow-ass, by then cretaceous, DDR3 RAM on the XB1? They'll have to cut it, or face the outrage of having significantly differing versions of the game.

We've seen this happen before when holstering guns in Mass Effect 3 was not possible across the board due to the severe memory limitations on 360/PS3, while the PC platform had no limitation on memory. It also happened in BF3 when planned DLC was scrapped due to the fact that holding riot a shield and a gun at the same time proved to exceed the memory budget.

Expect multiplatform games to be catered to work on XB1 hardware first, a configuration that uses an outdated GPU and an already archaic DDR3 memory configuration.

Newsflash #1: All consoles take away from PC games if you really believe all you put in this post and the thought process behind it.

Newsfash #2: Both PS4 and X1 will be "cretaceous" 6 years from now.

The very legitimate fear is that multiplatform development on XB1 will hold back PS4 and even PC titles.

Isn't this pretty much how it's always worked for multiplats though? It makes sense economically to develop for the lowest common (successful) denominator for obvious reasons.

Can't we all just enjoy Destiny? Anyone with a clear head on their shoulders should be ready for slight differences in performance. Probably leaning for the PS4.

It doesn't make your version any worse. It's the XBOX version. You are playing on Xbox. The systems are not identical. If it was on PC that would look even better. It doesn't make the other versions shit. If you are bothered by very very slight performance differences then play on PS4.

The thing is a lot of people don't care, they want to play with friends, or the only console they have or the controller they prefer.

It's Bungie they will absolutely make sure each version is the best it can be on every platform.

Or am I crazy?

has there been anything shown for last gen consoles. I own ps4 and xbox one, i will probably still end up with a 360 copy because thats where my friends are

btags

No, most developers develop in two strata, one for last gen and one for next gen. They won't bother too much with squeezing the very last ounce of power out of the PS4 if the lowest next-gen denominator is XB1. They'll just make 1 next gen port, since this time architectures are very similar right down to the CPU and GPU, and tweak settings higher for PS4.

I would be annoyed too if I found out a game was not optimized to queeze the very last drop of power out the console I payed $400+ for because some idiot executives of a competing console decided a 1.3 TFLOP GPU would be enough for 10+ years. That's a decision I made deliberately to experience the superior multiplatform console titles.

The very legitimate fear is that multiplatform development on XB1 will hold back PS4 and even PC titles. Developers will not come outright and say this parity thing is real. What happens when 6 years down the line a multiplatform developer wants to implement a feature in their game but can't due to the slow-ass, by then cretaceous, DDR3 RAM on the XB1? They'll have to cut it, or face the outrage of having significantly differing versions of the game.

We've seen this happen before when holstering guns in Mass Effect 3 was not possible across the board due to the severe memory limitations on 360/PS3, while the PC platform had no limitation on memory. It also happened in BF3 when planned DLC was scrapped due to the fact that holding riot a shield and a gun at the same time proved to exceed the memory budget.

Expect multiplatform games to be catered to work on XB1 hardware first, a configuration that uses an outdated GPU and an already archaic DDR3 memory configuration.

If you really think that the power difference between the xbox one and ps4 will result in the xbox one preventing gameplay innovation this gen, boy I feel sorry for you over the next couple of years. The ps4 is most certainly a more graphically capable machine, but it is not orders of magnitude more powerful on anything. 500 gflops is not a generational gap by any means. Any gameplay that can be done on the ps4 can be done on the xbox one, albeit at a lower framerate/resolution, as devs have done already and will continue to do.

Also, if you try to make your argument by saying that the xbox one will hold back pc and ps4 development, that makes no sense. If anything, the xbox one AND ps4 will hold back pc development.

PerZona

Just buy the game on the system whichever your friends are on. Or whichever system/controller you're most comfortable with. I don't think there's much a difference on both platforms (PS4 and Xbone) anyway. And that minor difference aren't gonna destroy the experience when you're playing.

Bungie is a amazing studio with many talented developers, I'm sure the quality of Destiny on both games would be great.

This is how i picture xbox one multi-platform games to be like, 1080p but with lower shadows, ao, particles, af, maybe a little bit of tearing, worse aa methods. Destiny could be a great example of this and i hope more multi-platform devs follow with this as most people are quick to notice a lower resolution (720p vs 900p or 900p vs 1080p) before all of those other effects.

Just give up. Cancel your Destiny preorder and never play a non-exclusive PS4 game again if you're that obsessed with this shit.

I don't have to go to that extreme though. Is it so hard to believe that I expect devs to use the extra horsepower on the PS4, which we know for a fact it has, rather than gimping it to maintain parity?

It being on last gen systems would affect me if the devs also kept the effects/res/whatever else on par with last gen, which they're not doing.

Can't we all just enjoy Destiny? Anyone with a clear head on their shoulders should be ready for slight differences in performance. Probably leaning for the PS4.

It doesn't make your version any worse. It's the XBOX version. You are playing on Xbox. The systems are not identical. If it was on PC that would look even better. It doesn't make the other versions shit. If you are bothered by very very slight performance differences then play on PS4.

The thing is a lot of people don't care, they want to play with friends, or the only console they have or the controller they prefer.

It's Bungie they will absolutely make sure each version is the best it can be on every platform.

Or am I crazy?

Can we give JetBlackPanda some sort of award? One of the best posts I've read in a while.

The PS4 Alpha did it's best to stay at solid 30 during my experience with the game, but there were a few rare moments when the gunplay felt a little bit sluggish!

Or am I crazy?

NO. WE HAVE TO TAKE A STAND. BEING A GAMER IS ABOUT SENDING A MESSAGE, NOT ABOUT HAVING FUN.

DRAGONBORN, LEAD US TO THE PROMISED LAND WHERE ALL PARITY IS BUT A MEMORY.

Or am I crazy?
giphy.gif

Orayn

I don't have to go to that extreme though. Is it so hard to believe that I expect devs to use the extra horsepower on the PS4, which we know for a fact it has, rather than gimping it to maintain parity?

It being on last gen systems would affect me if the devs also kept the effects/res/whatever else on par with last gen, which they're not doing.

It's a matter of how far you want to go with it, I guess. How much better does the PS4 version have to be? Does there just need to be some tiny upgrade for peace of mind? I understand the underlying sentiment of wanting games to use the capabilities of the platform, but it seems like a really strange thing to take a hard line ideological stance on.

Just ask yourself if you'd still be satisfied with the game's visuals if the PS4 version was the only one. If you'd still be fine with it, what's the issue? That's what I've done for PC multiplats since about 2008. Going down the rabbit hole of "I MUST HAVE THE BEST VERSION AND EVERYONE ELSE MUST HAVE THE WORST" is not beneficial to anyone.

I understand the underlying sentiment of wanting games to use the capabilities of the platform, but it seems like a really strange thing to take a hard line ideological stance on.

If you can't see how devs are screwing Dragonborn over with their stubborn insistence on delivering relatively similar experiences across relatively similar consoles then I can't continue this conversation with you.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
It's a matter of how far you want to go with it, I guess. How much better does the PS4 version have to be? Does there just need to be some tiny upgrade for peace of mind? I understand the underlying sentiment of wanting games to use the capabilities of the platform, but it seems like a really strange thing to take a hard line ideological stance on.

Just ask yourself if you'd still be satisfied with the game's visuals if the PS4 version was the only one. If you'd still be fine with it, what's the issue? That's what I've done for PC multiplats since about 2008. Going down the rabbit hole of "I MUST HAVE THE BEST VERSION AND EVERYONE ELSE MUST HAVE THE WORST" is not beneficial to anyone.

others_must_fail.jpg

S0cc3rpunk

Unconfirmed Member

Or am I crazy?

This!
giphy.gif

todd360

So I want one of those new Destiny shirts. The problem is I plan to go warlock, but the red hunter shirt is more me, if you will. I also want to know what those symbols actually stand for you know. I thought the other 3 shirts that they don't have for sale anymore were the class specific emblems.

Edit: Thought I was in the beta thread.

I'm not asking for them to make the X1 version worse though, I'm glad they got it up to 1080/30.

With that said, we know for a fact that the differences between the PS4 and X1 exist, and they're relatively substantial. As for what exactly I'm asking for? Well, I don't know, which is why I'll wait for a professional comparison. Some extra effects, maybe a bit prettier, more stable, I really can't say. My PC isn't very strong (660 TI) so when I rebuy games to play on it I mostly do so at lower settings to get 60 frame per second, but that's besides the point.

I know it sounds a bit extreme, but I just really dislike parity, especially when there's a noticeable difference between the two consoles. This isn't a sleight against the X1 or anything like that, in fact I don't think X1 owners even mind if the PS4 version is better since they were well aware of the hardware differences going in. Essentially, each console should get the best possible version it can.

Navy Bean

I still have it preordered for the X1 because I like the controller better for shooters. Simple as that. Although I may switch over to PS4 as it's the only game on that system I'm interested in this fall.

biteren

What kind of weapon is that? I haven't seen it in any previous footage I think. Looks like a futuristic M4 or something.

i agree, it looks very modern. It sort of stands out a bit for me, was expecting more space guns.

ill Laugh if they refer to it as some ancient rifle.

Some noticeable slow-down/frame rate issues aside, I think it looks pretty decent.Is there any PS4 beta footage from the same area to do a direct comparison?

So, I redeemed a code to access the beta a few days ago, but can't seem to find the page where I'll get the actual beta code on the 17th.

Anyone have a direct link?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom