• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Exotic weapons fixed.... and then broken.

dubq

If you don't like Destiny then don't play it.

Playing something you don't enjoy is not "getting your money's worth". It's wasting time on top of wasting money. Go find a game you like.

You know I can like the gameplay and not like the marketing and bullshit surrounding it, right?

KingV

Because people after playing some godawful number of hours are insistent about banging their heads against the game, then complaining that it doesn't work the way they wanted it to. There was someone earlier in this thread that said something basically to the extent of "I am not having fun with this game, but I am going to play the expansion so I can get my money's worth." Good god, just stop playing.

At some point it's smarter to just tell people to give up. If you aren't willing to put the effort in to exploring group content, then hold off until there's hooks for that stuff.

I think there's just people that want to access what is supposedly the best part of the game without having to move a mountain to do it.

I have not really had any luck with DestinyLFG for the raid on XBO, as a Level 26 Titan who hasn't done it before. The weeklies and nightfall also remain basically locked away. I think I was able to find someone to do a queen's mission with one time and I did the weekly one time. Both took 20 minutes plus just to get going.

I want to do the group content. It looks cool. I would like to meet people IN GAME to do that group content with, but there aren't any ways to do that. I have basically given up on the game because of that, but would probably jump back in for a bit if they added matchmaking for all parts.

I'm pissed there's no engram from Xur this weekend. I would totally gamble a couple times for a chest piece that I need to hit 30.

No I would not want motes to buy stuff instead of coins. If anything, an either/or because Strange Coins are the only static source of income via heroic weeklies. Motes are too random.

Either/or sounds like a much more viable and logical option. For now the only way to spend Motes is on cosmetic items for each class and emblems.

You don't pay a sub so don't expect much out of Destiny's special events.

Well you pay $60 for the base game and $20 for each "expansion" which comes out over 3-4 months.

Either/or sounds like a much more viable and logical option. For now the only way to spend Motes is on cosmetic items for each class and emblems.

Iron Banner? I remember motes being pretty valuable during that week. And it's coming back in a few weeks

border

You know I can like the gameplay and not like the marketing and bullshit surrounding it, right?

You said that the only reason you haven't traded the game in is because you bought a digital copy. That sounds more like "I don't like this game" than "I don't like this game's marketing."

You said that the only reason you haven't traded the game in is because you bought a digital copy. That sounds more like "I don't like this game" than "I don't like this game's marketing."

Ill admit I'm completely addicted to the game. That doesn't mean I shouldnt be allowed to voice my opinion over this bullshit. I mean any critical thinking points to Bungie artificially extending the life of the game, not through a wealth of new content, but through new treadmills and gates. I'm also in the boat of digital collectors edition (though even if physical I wouldn't trade in because I don't do that).

The marketing at first made thia game seem like a hard SciFi Borderlands (or Diablo if you prefer). The game that launched and is continuing to be iterated on falls woefully short of that. After I saw the trailer for the expansion I got more excited to play it but I also recognize that it has next to no content and arbitrary treadmills to extend playtime to the next sorely lacking expansion.

I don't want to speak for the poster you quoted. Like I said thoroughly enjoy playing but I'm not blinded to the bullshit Bungie is peddling. Let's be honest the removal of the exotic engrams from Xur is to remove a second currency that could get exotic shards. Also, 7k glimmer to upgrade ensures only 3 a week as they didn't change the glimmer cap. Again, gates to halt progress so players don't churn through the barely there new content too fast.

And yet I will be playing tonight, this week and into the future. One can enjoy a game and still feel like what the makers are doing is bullshit.

leng jai

I hate Destiny but the game is fascinating. I read endless complains about it, every thread about it gets thousands of replies (mostly hating on it) and at the same time it has a huge dedicated player base.

I hate Destiny but the game is fascinating. I read endless complains about it, every thread about it gets thousands of replies (mostly hating on it) and at the same time it has a huge dedicated player base.

The game is polarizing. People like grinding in an FPS or they don't. Gunplay tends to be the thing that everyone agrees is good.

Deku Tree

Because people after playing some godawful number of hours are insistent about banging their heads against the game, then complaining that it doesn't work the way they wanted it to. There was someone earlier in this thread that said something basically to the extent of "I am not having fun with this game, but I am going to play the expansion so I can get my money's worth." Good god, just stop playing.

At some point it's smarter to just tell people to give up. If you aren't willing to put the effort in to exploring group content, then hold off until there's hooks for that stuff.

Yes Destiny is designed to be extremely addictive... So you hear people playing for a long time and then rage quitting the whole game and then they spend a lot of time taking about how much they hate the game after playing it for 100 hours... That's a good sign of extreme addiction going on.

Iron Banner? I remember motes being pretty valuable during that week. And it's coming back in a few weeks

I don't play the competitive portion of the game so I wouldn't know of any use of Motes of Light with Lord Shaxx/Iron Banner. The only use I have ever had for them was cosmetic items/emblems from the Speaker and Exotic engrams from Xur.

denshuu

Is anyone bummed out that you can now buy spinmetal and relic iron and all that stuff you need to upgrade your weapons? Walking around in a circle for hours on end picking up randomly respawning material points was one of the worst parts of the game for me. But people still playing must have found that.. riveting.

N-Forced

Neo Member
Anyone know if you need the expansion to do these upgraded exotics? Because from what im reading it sounds like its just a patch and everyone is going to be able to do it. I will not be getting the expansion and have no plans to btw.

it's a good game with a lot of problems but i think the responses from bungie have facilitated the negative reaction more than anything else.

joecanada

Yes Destiny is designed to be extremely addictive... So you hear people playing for a long time and then rage quitting the whole game and then they spend a lot of time taking about how much they hate the game after playing it for 100 hours... That's a good sign of extreme addiction going on.

It's not that addictive. I enjoyed my time with it but im another "forever 29" have maybe 20 legendary / exotic weapons... Don't need more, there's no reason to collect more weapons they take to long to level and I'm not running 30 raids just for boots. So I log in when my friends are on just to help with raid or nightfall. 3-4 hours a week is plenty and weaning off the game is actually just the next natural step.
So if you need to be 30 for dlc I guess I just wasted money on limited edition

I played the game for a month almost non-stop, reached 30 with my Titan, and realized the game was a waste of my life.

In order to ensure I wouldn't do anything stupid like resume playing, I traded the game in.

Then Bungie made the game worse and worse anyways to make people not ever come back, so it worked out.

panda-zebra

I think there's just people that want to access what is supposedly the best part of the game without having to move a mountain to do it.

I have not really had any luck with DestinyLFG for the raid on XBO, as a Level 26 Titan who hasn't done it before. The weeklies and nightfall also remain basically locked away. I think I was able to find someone to do a queen's mission with one time and I did the weekly one time. Both took 20 minutes plus just to get going.

20 minutes isn't really so bad, tbf it can take the majority of that just to get three people who play regularly to go grab their chosen character and set it up with the suitable weapons for a nightfall on reset day. Finding a group of regulars who play at the same times as yourself is key I suppose. If you've been playing through strike playlists you'll know just how dire and unreliable some people can be, you really don't want to be thrown into a nighfall with some of those guys, it'd result in MEDIC MEDIC MEDIC action and wipes...

The people I now play with most often I pulled together through all sorts of game content, my advice is be sure to fire friend requests when you encounter the more teamwork-oriented players on your travels through strikes, public events, whatever.

As for raid, I dunno how it is on the bone, but on ps4 there are plenty of dedicated streamers who often run the raid several times a day on normal and hard with viewers, they have newbie runs where the raid mechanics are briefly described before each checkpoint. Sit through a couple of those and wait your turn and you should get a go yourself with the added bonus of a party leader who wants to get you all through and help you to discover the more interesting portions of the game. Maybe even friend-request people you see in the streams on their newbie runs as well as the guys you run through with for future playthroughs, you should end up with a few people at a similar point in the game as yourself.

Fistwell

Bungie doesnt know wtf it's doing or why people play or enjoy the game. I love and hate the game at the same time. Spent half the evening bitching about upcoming changes with my regular raid group, blasting through a cple of hard raids. Bitch bitch bitch, moan and cry. About legit crap too, everyone in the party loves the game, knows it in excruciating detail, and everyone agreed bungie is doing stupid crap and pissing all over its user base.

Then everyone went to bed and I stuck around, dead fucking drunk, to run another raid with random strangers from gaf, struggling through fucking normal (lol!), getting abused over the mike by some guy who thought he knew what he was doing, and still managed to enjoy my drunken time with the game. Game is fantastic and terrible.

It's unfortunate that such idiots (bungie) are in charge of such an awesome game. And it's highly ironic they lucked into making such a good game in the first place.

Idiots.

Anyone know if you need the expansion to do these upgraded exotics? Because from what im reading it sounds like its just a patch and everyone is going to be able to do it. I will not be getting the expansion and have no plans to btw.
Exotics' shenanigans are happening for the whole userbase. What's exclusive to people getting the "expansion" is the privilege of possibly getting one of the 5 or 6 new exotic guns, getting new armor, and the "chance" of enjoying bungie's famed story-telling through 3 (three) brand new "story" missions, a cple of strikes and a raid.

Deku Tree

It's not that addictive. I enjoyed my time with it but im another "forever 29" have maybe 20 legendary / exotic weapons... Don't need more, there's no reason to collect more weapons they take to long to level and I'm not running 30 raids just for boots. So I log in when my friends are on just to help with raid or nightfall. 3-4 hours a week is plenty and weaning off the game is actually just the next natural step.
So if you need to be 30 for dlc I guess I just wasted money on limited edition

Well the new DLC allows you to grind to 31 without RNG so you don't really need to be 30 for it you just might not be able to lead a fireteam into the new CE raid on day one if your not 30 yet.

-PXG-

Damn. That's a load of bullshit. I'm glad I ditched this game when I did. Good art, superb music and solid core mechanics ruined by uninspired quest design, nonexistent plot development, a severe lack of content, and of course, insane amounts of grinding. Fuck this game. Good riddance.

Bungie, you have your work cut out for you with Destiny 2.

Edit

Fuck. And I bought season pass too, assuming the game offer more than enough content. Guess I'm the sucker.

gg Bungie. G fucking G

zoukka

Haha I will never return to this shit game. I had fun with it, but the direction it's going and the bareboned expansions make me puke.

Karl Hawk

Banned
I'm fine paying $60 dollars for the speed of updates. I can't think of any company that has had such a quick turnaround on fixes. If anyone even tries to suggest Blizzard has any sense of timeliness, I may laugh so hard I'll fall out of my little chair.

You really don't like Blizzard, do you? :p

Atilac

Why doesn't bungie add more upgrades to existing exotics? Like another 3 circles, build on peoples progress instead of destroying it?

border

Let's be honest the removal of the exotic engrams from Xur is to remove a second currency that could get exotic shards. Also, 7k glimmer to upgrade ensures only 3 a week as they didn't change the glimmer cap. Again, gates to halt progress so players don't churn through the barely there new content too fast.

Exotic engrams will still be sold, but less frequently.

There's no cap on the amount of glimmer you can earn, only how much you can carry. You can buy more than 3 upgrades per week if you farm up more glimmer on Friday/Saturday. Not to mention that smart players will bank cryptarch-glimmer items as a way of getting around the cap. I probably have 20-30 Network Keys in the bank at the moment.

Top Bottom