• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny is UK's biggest ever new IP launch

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, after seeing what happened with Watch Dogs, and all the focus on PS4 version for ads, seeing only a 10% difference between them is quite a let down for Sony and a demonstration Xbox One has a pretty good base of shooters players, already. I suppose we'll see the Xbox One SKU going quite down in the next few weeks, but possibly not as down as Watch_Dogs on One. Heck, that went on selling less than the PS3 SKU weekly.

Chris1

You're not wrong from one perspective, but there's also the secondary perspective.

This is a Bungie game. Known for Halo. Their entire fanbase built on a franchise that will forever be Xbox exclusive, even though it's no longer Bungie making them.

Sony can market the shit out of Destiny, but anyone with a bit of sensibility will know that that marketing efforts will still be hampered by the fact that Destiny, is a multiplatform game, and that Halo is still coming to Xbox only, and nothing is changing that fact.

Sony had the 'exclusive content' and marketing. Xbox has the established Bungie/Halo fanbase and exclusive Halo games in the pipeline. I say both factors about evens out in the end.
Yeah I get that, I don't think marketing deal would have helped too much but the exclusive content and sales advantage PS4 has over XB1 tips it slightly in PS4's favour IMO.

I just don't think 10% less than PS4 is bad all things considering, and an even split on both consoles isn't anything for MS to be upset about.

Coupling this with the FIFA marketing & bundle, MS will be doing pretty well for themselves in September UK at least.

Retailers had plentiful offers for the XBone with Destiny and Bungie/Halo fans knowing about the game. Exclusive marketing isn't all that powerful I don't feel. It helps but in many cases it doesn't turn the tide. See past FIFA PS3 marketing where 360 sold more or FFXIII 360 where PS3 sold more, as just 2 examples.

The gap would have been wider if there was a big gap in the performance of the 2 like what happened with Watch Dogs. Which is I feel the main reason why Watch Dogs sold much more on PS4 rather than just exclusive marketing.
I know about the MCC/Destiny sale but I'd say the sales advantage PS4 has over XB1 would even that out and then some.

You do make a good point about watch dogs. I agree with that.

gatti-man

Good sales. Well deserved. Hopefully Bungie can keep up the momentum with quick updates and a strong dlc pack this December.

Chobel

Xbox One has higher attach rate, I guess that proves that Xbox crowd are more into shooters than any other platform.

Hindle

Banned
Ms spent tens of millions yet fifa and cod sold better on ps4? sony will have spent a lot on asscreed last gen yet it sold better on 360.

MS dont treat either of those series as big first party exclusives. Sony did with Destiny. The last two years ive seen nothing but PS advertisement.

Osahi

Xb1 holding its own!
Also Old Gen is dead!

But I bet Destinys legs are about as short as its story campaign. Word of mouth is not kind and thats a death sentence for a online game.

Well, they don't really include the PS4 + Destiny bundles do they? So the market split should have a bigger slice in favor of PS4.

Also. You would be suprised of how much fun people are having with it. It's maybe not representative, but I know a few guys who jumped to next gen with Destiny and are having a blast.

If Sony wants to truly pull ahead of the Xbone in the UK they need to start offering some free game bundles and be as aggressive in that department as MS. As it is, the Xbone seems to be slowly pulling back marketshare each week. Not by any significant margin, mind.

That has lead to this small gap in sales between the two for Destiny. I expect the split to be bigger in PS4's favour after launch week, but who knows. If it doesn'*t grow, Sony has to be disappointed.

Well, they don't really include the PS4 + Destiny bundles do they? So the market split should have a bigger slice in favor of PS4.

Also. You would be suprised of how much fun people are having with it. It's maybe not representative, but I know a few guys who jumped to next gen with Destiny and are having a blast.

GFK always include bundles

Loudninja

If Sony wants to truly pull ahead of the Xbone in the UK they need to start offering some free game bundles and be as aggressive in that department as MS. As it is, the Xbone seems to be slowly pulling back marketshare each week. Not by any significant margin, mind.

That has lead to this small gap in sales between the two for Destiny. I expect the split to be bigger in PS4's favour after launch week, but who knows. If it doesn'*t grow, Sony has to be disappointed.
Umm no they are not at all.

If anything this proves have different it is from last gen.

thuway

PS3/360 titles still account for a sizable amount of revenue. 20% of 500 million is still 100 million dollars. It'll take a price drop or two to officially kill off PS3/360.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
I don't think the marketing paid off for Sony at all. Money wasted if these figures are to go by anyway.

I'm also happy that I was right in doing the figures will be a lot closer than Watchdogs was

PS3/360 titles still account for a sizable amount of revenue. 20% of 500 million is still 100 million dollars. It'll take a price drop or two to officially kill off PS3/360.

No. it only takes time. Actice userbase of last gen consoles is dropping every month. Next holiday season it will be pretty much only sports games and COD that will have last gen versions.

One4U

Banned
Now I hope Xbox One version of Destiny will enter France Top 5 and higher than PS3 version and Xbox One version of Destiny will enter Germans Top 10...

Praying....

Hanmik

MS dont treat either of those series as big first party exclusives. Sony did with Destiny. The last two years ive seen nothing but PS advertisement.

I see you must be living in the US.. because in Europe, every single TV ad with Fifa or COD has an Xbox at the end.. has been that way for many years.

thuway

Reacting to a minor Xbox One sales boost would be absolutely detrimental to long term profits. Sony is in a comfortable position to reap benefits. The Xbox One might have a good week or two, but irrespective of the come back, the entirety of Europe has went to Sony.

Did Sony receive any tangible benefit from their marketing deal with Activision? That 10% gap can almost completely be explained by the difference in respective console userbase. I'm guessing it'll be more pronounced in the US? No clue. But given the whole white PS4 console, exclusive marketing deal and the difference in user base for the respective consoles, I'm surprised that the gap isn't larger.

Edit: Woah. That PS4 46% includes bundled copies with the White PS4? Sony can't be happy with the marketing deal at all.

When I went to a midnight launch I was surprised by how many bought Xbox One copies, the white PS4 bundle sold quite a few too, that is one sexy console.

Now I hope Xbox One version of Destiny will enter France Top 5 and higher than PS3 version and Xbox One version of Destiny will enter Germans Top 10...

Praying....

Those both should happen easily. You don't need that high sales to make it to the top 5 in France of Germany and Destiny is huge game. It's just that Xbox One version will drop like the stone at least in german charts as there is no big userbase to give it legs and hw sales for bone have been horrible.

I don't think the marketing paid off for Sony at all. Money wasted if these figures are to go by anyway.

I'm also happy that I was right in doing the figures will be a lot closer than Watchdogs was

You are basing your assumption off of one country that has 1 million PS4's sold. Out of that 1 million, 178,000 copies were sold. almost 1 out 5 people that own a PS4 bought this game.

To add to that, in a country that was Xbox centric last gen, and the game was by a developer who was owned by Microsoft during the past 2 gens.

Yah marketing dollars gone to waste

Chobel

So because PS4 version didn't sell that much bigger than XBO version, some think Sony wasted money for marketing and exclusive content? LOL

Destiny deal isn't just US and UK, I know shocking. Also if it wasn't for the exclusive marketing the ratio of sales will be much lower for PS4 (in UK), probably less than 1:1, since Xbox crowd are more into shooters than other platforms (higher attach rate in UK and US).

thuway

Did Sony receive any tangible benefit from their marketing deal with Activision? That 10% gap can almost completely be explained by the difference in respective console userbase. I'm guessing it'll be more pronounced in the US? No clue. But given the whole white PS4 console, exclusive marketing deal and the difference in user base for the respective consoles, I'm surprised that the gap isn't larger.

I take a different approach to this.

This is a BUNGIE developed game. Everything about this title, the developers, and its pedigree scream Xbox Faithful. For the creators of Halo to produce a title, and have it sell MORE on a PlayStation platform, that is something totally unprecedented. Irrespective of marketing speak, the sales being stronger on the PS4 than Xbox One are just another example of how consumer interest is shifting and how brand recognition is slowly passing away.

Loudninja

So because PS4 version didn't sell that much bigger than XBO version, some think Sony wasted money for marketing and exclusive content? LOL

Destiny deal isn't just US and UK, I know shocking. Also if it wasn't for the exclusive marketing the ratio of sales will much lower for PS4 (in UK) probably less than 1:1, since Xbox crowd is into shooters.
I don't get how 10% is consider small now as well.

Kysen

The individual chart tells the real story, PS4 versions of nearly everything went up. I'd say Sony moved a lot more hardware last week.

Ramrock

Banned

Your comment doesn't make much sense.
We're talking about the first 5 days in the UK here. Jesus...
As we can see with Watch Dogs, the PS4 version will remain on top.

Destiny deal isn't just US and UK, I know shocking. Also if it wasn't for the exclusive marketing the ratio of sales will much lower for PS4 (in UK) probably less than 1:1, since Xbox crowd is into shooters.

You keep saying the Xbox crowd is into shooters. You forget the likes of Call of Duty sell very well on Playstation consoles, Battlefield too and the Killzone games are hardly a bomb at retail either.

One4U

Banned
I don't get how 10% is consider small now as well.

Because we are taking Watch_Dog splits as the reference.

10% is not small, but it is relative smaller comparing to Watch_Dog and some of us here expected increasing gap between PS4 and X1, especially after PS4 was sold more than 1 million in UK.

How is it bad?

PS4 has sold more, had marketing deals, exclusive content, a white PS4 bundle with the game and still only sold 10% more.

I'd be pretty happy if I was MS, to only be 10% below PS4 sales is really good considering all the xbox version had going against it.

agree
http://www.totalxbox.com/81210/50-of-uk-destiny-sales-were-on-xbox-platforms/
50% of UK Destiny sales were on Xbox platforms

You may remember a rather cheeky marketing campaign from Microsoft last week, in which the company admitted that it couldn't technically advertise the game on its platform owing to rival PlayStation's exclusivity rights. Turns out that that didn't hurt Destiny's sales on Xbox all that much, as the game has sold right down the middle across both platforms on both last and current gen consoles.

Official sales figures confirm that Destiny's sales during launch week split evenly between Xbox and PlayStation, despite the latter's bigger stake in the title. Xbox One took 36 per cent of overall sales, whilst Xbox 360 versions accounted for 14 per cent. It's probably worth mentioning too that these Chart-Track sales figures don't include downloadable copies, only physical retail sales.

It's one country, that last gen the 360 dominated in. You are forgetting that if Sony didn't get this than MS would have, which would have been dangerous for Sony as it could have helped the XBone win back momentum and turn the tides. In a country that Sony were the underdog last gen and MS could easily still win back if Sony are caught sleeping. It's a solid win for Sony to get the lions share in a country that loves it shooters, that last gen mainly played on its rival console. That's not to say MS haven't don't well out of the game. But were always going to (just like Sony will benefit from the next CoD game too). Retailers had great deals on Destiny and other promotions for the XBone. It's a big title that is the new game from those Halo devs. It would have pushed some 360/Halo fans to upgrade. Marketing is not the be all and end all. It can work but it's not the sole factor.

Chobel

You keep saying the Xbox crowd is into shooters. You forget the likes of Call of Duty sell very well on Playstation consoles, Battlefield too and the Killzone games are hardly a bomb at retail either.

C'mon don't try to strawman this, I didn't say shooters sell like shit in PS platforms. I'm talking about attach rate, Xbox has bigger attach rate for shooters games (In US and UK).

Bruno MB

16th biggest of all time.

CWGp3RY.png

https://twitter.com/wyp100/status/511436307265257472

I have Battlefield 3 which was the best-selling entry in the series at just barely over 400,000 units. I don't have an exact number because we didn't have the splits for the limited edition.

I'll round my Destiny estimate to 400,000 since the margin of error is extremely small.

Top Bottom