• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Only one area per planet

I would much rather have a tight 25 hours of content before farming it, than a sloppy 50 hours. People seem to forget that COD the market leader in this area has campaign lengths in the single digits.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I think you are misremembering:

Eridium mines
Bandit prison zone
Hyperion prison zone
Crystal caverns (the fridge)
Lava final zone caverns
Bandit stronghold and Hyperion stronghold
River washout
River town and surrounding areas
The other 4 zone types you already mentioned
Old west style town

All of those were in the above mentioned zones (not including DLC); also several of those were not part of the "overmap", but simply instanced locations still contained in the general lore of the area.

I have no idea of Bungie is going to do something similar. If they are only going for a seamless overmap still then I can "potentially" see a concern for content.

The content in the final game sounds very limiting. I was already on the fence about the game, but this just sounds a little ridiculous. One area per world and we have already explored most of Old Russia, okay.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Did anyone find the Crucible 'domination' mode to be poorly designed?.

Usually in 'domination' mode you will have three capture points A B C, with B being the most fiercely contested with it being near the centre of the map. I found the area you stand in to capture the point in Destiny to be very very small, and also very out in the open.

Usually in games which do 'Domination' modes really well such as Black Ops 1/2 and Titanfall, the B point will have a larger capture area, and it will also allow you to tuck in/hide a little. In Destiny I found I was a sitting duck, pretty much in the open, and normally with an enemy player standing a little way out and just shooting me to bits.

Having areas you can hide a little make for a better game, as anyone who is camping will have to head in to flush you out, rather than shooting fish in a barrel.

I'm not sure if this is how Bungie games normally play? as I haven't played any of the HALO series online.

This is coming from someone who has played hundreds of hours of 'Domination' modes in other games, and I've never had poor map layout in the past.

I hope that Bungie can fix these issues, or are they the norm in Bungie games?
Because it wasn't Domination.

It was TDM. You don't get any points for holding points - they're multipliers for kills.

Here is how I see it: i have spent 30 hours with the beta. We know a lot of areas on Earth were locked off and Old Russia still has content we have not seen.

30 hours for what we have seen for one of four planets in the game? I'll be more than happy to spend another 90 hrs exploring the rest with my friends and fellow strangers.

We probably just have different play styles. By the time I finished the story missions I was already bored of Old Russia.

I know that a ton of people will feel differently though, and that's fine.

Really disappointed. I was especially looking forward to exploring the other locales on Earth. While Old Russia is sizeable, I do wonder how big the game will feel overall.

BokehKing

Banned
RIP in peace Destiny pre-order =(

ibJO3f72H9i92.png

Hoping reviews change my mind. I had quite a bit of fun with the beta.

i'm sorry but this is just ridiculous at this point, this thread has snowballed out of control with hyperbole, panic and misinformation.

People are acting like they are getting a 720p game that cost $300 and the online is broken beyond repair, with bugs, screen tearing and other horrible stuff.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Yes. I interpreted that demo such that you could actually go to the mountains on the horizon ("It's not a skybox, I could go there"), as it's possible in many other games.
He straight up says the reason he doesn't go down there is in the interest of time. That it's actually possible to go there is the only reasonable interpretation.

Unless he was being a jerk and saying: I can go there, because I am a developer and can do whatever the fuck I want by using the debug menu.

hohoXD123

So you cancelled your preorder based on the fact that you had fun with the game and we have no real confirmation of how much content the game has? Bravo, sir.

No one has said that yet.

Calm down, dudes.

Well not everyone cares enough about playing the game ASAP to keep their pre-order, especially when there is that lingering doubt that the game may not turn out to be the way that they expected. So yes, bravo indeed.

Trickster

Just going to throw in my 2 cents here.

I played through all the content in the beta minus the moon in 4 hours, assuming no exploration or grinding or PVP. Considering Old Russia has a bunch of locked doors, I'll assume there's at least another hour of content there. 5 hours times 4 zones of strikes/story alone is 20 hours of content minimum, which when you compare to the 10-15 hours of most popular FPS games, that's pretty damn good.

Get into PVP, the raids, grinding for loot, I could see this game easily hitting the hundreds of hours of playtime for me, and it's just so fun to play.

People really need to keep their expectations in check, this game was never going to be WoW.

Destiny isn't a typical FPS like the 10-15 hours FPS you are trying to compare it too though.

Seeing your avatar I'm guessing you look forward to Witcher 3. Would you be happy if Witcher 3 was a 20-30 hour game after how CDPR have talked the game up as the huge open world game bigger than even skyrim?

Keep in mind how Destiny was presented as the amazingly big and ambitious game where you would travel across the solar system and discover and reclaim lost human civilization. And it's a game that Bungie wants players to get invested in and keep coming back to and yada yada yada.

edit - This is one of Bungie's 7 design pillar for Destiny going of that kotaku article someone linked - "Bungie kept using words like "hopeful" and "mystery" to describe the world of Destiny. They want to create a world that players will be interested enough in to want to spend their time there."

At this point I'm kinda worried for the game been visually exhausting. My biggest problem with Borderlands is that it was different color deserts. If I'm going to be be in different kinds of deserts and bunkers in Destiny, I won't enjoy the game. Furthermore it worries me how is going to be the DLC approach of Activision. If it is going to be like BF Premimum, I won't buy it. I won't buy a season pass that doubles the cost of the game and is never on sale.

DNAbro

IGN ''It's okay. Not much there to do. 9.5/10''

Did I do it right?

We all know this is going to happen if destiny get's great reviews. We are going to get "lol ign", "all dat activision money", "manufactured hype", "here is why they are objectively wrong and this game sucks even though reviews are opinions"

Did anyone find the Crucible 'domination' mode to be poorly designed?.

Usually in 'domination' mode you will have three capture points A B C, with B being the most fiercely contested with it being near the centre of the map. I found the area you stand in to capture the point in Destiny to be very very small, and also very out in the open.

Usually in games which do 'Domination' modes really well such as Black Ops 1/2 and Titanfall, the B point will have a larger capture area, and it will also allow you to tuck in/hide a little. In Destiny I found I was a sitting duck, pretty much in the open, and normally with an enemy player standing a little way out and just shooting me to bits.

Having areas you can hide a little make for a better game, as anyone who is camping will have to head in to flush you out, rather than shooting fish in a barrel.

I'm not sure if this is how Bungie games normally play? as I haven't played any of the HALO series online.

This is coming from someone who has played hundreds of hours of 'Domination' modes in other games, and I've never had poor map layout in the past.

I hope that Bungie can fix these issues, or are they the norm in Bungie games?

Not only this, but capturing points hardly matters. The point values for kills far surpasses the objectives, despite being an objective mode.

Hope there's a lot more to PvP in game modes and how they are structured, because it sort of killed my interest in that mode after coming off from Titanfall where objectives matter.

Edit: By the way, all of you guys canceling your preorders are doing a terrible job at it. Still can't get the PS4 LE :p

My biggest issue with the game is that the story mission are all pretty rote. You start the mission in a public zone follow the waypoint to an instance and fight your way to the objective and have your ghost interact with it. Queue wave after wave of enemies, kill them ,and mission over.

Competa

Banned
I enjoyed the Destiny beta a lot but Bungie has been deceiving customers with previews since Halo 2. Almost just as bad as Ubisoft. Can't believe it's happening again, only this time with actual gameplay areas that they'll charge us for later.

Didn't they want to give away the Halo 2 and Halo 3 maps but couldn't because MS wouldn't let them? Not that their independent, let's see how generous they really are.
They did give out the halo 2 maps for free and the first halo 3 map pack.

BigDug13

You make it sound like Borderlands didn't have the same spawn doors breh

that spawn system is in everything

You'd have to stand there for 30 minutes to see a respawn happen. You can see enemies continue to respawn within a few mins in Destiny. It's just an immersion thing. It feels more fake like a game when enemies continue to pour out of the same doors for some static waiting around to be engaged.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Bigger issue by far is the communication issues imo
Read my post, breh.

Read all of mine as well. If I make a comparison and more than one person addresses it, and I respond to more than one person in turn, you can't say I've revolved entirely around one single point. I've brought up 4 different games if you'd bothered to look.
You'd have to stand there for 30 minutes to see a respawn happen. You can see enemies continue to respawn within a few mins in Destiny. It's just an immersion thing. It feels more fake like a game when enemies continue to pour out of the same doors for some static waiting around to be engaged.
They spawn quicker because there are more players per 'world'. You'll never seen an enemy spawn right on top of you - but there are more than a few ways to see enemies reappear a short distance away (and outside of their engage range). That's nothing new or special for any large game in this sense.

My biggest issue with the game is that the story mission are all pretty rote. You start the mission in a public zone follow the waypoint to an instance and fight your way to the objective and have your ghost interact with it. Queue wave after wave of enemies, kill them ,and mission over.
Sounds like most other shooters I've played minus the public zones and ghost interaction.

A big problem with this game besides the wretched gunplay is the fact that it is cross gen. If it wasn't it could have been potentially much more in line with the original and marketed vision.

Bwahaha I always find pre-order cancel shaming hilarious. Games have no rights to your pre-orders and people shouldn't even be pre-ordering in the first place as it encourages them to lock more content behind it and push review embargo's further in front so they can take advantage of impatient people.

Why are you encouraging this practice, virtually no other entertainment industry pulls this shit to any great success. And yet here we are shaming someone for cancelling a pre-order.

Bwahaha I always find overreaction to comments hilarious.

But Borderlands didn't have multiple fire teams on the same map.

The moon story mission actually felt much better than the ones on Earth, I'm sure Bungie will have some nice surprises for us.

But I do agree with most of what you said, they definitely felt lacking in variety.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Bigger issue by far is the communication issues imo

Read all of mine as well. If I make a comparison and more than one person addresses it, and I respond to more than one person in turn, you can't say I've revolved entirely around one single point. I've brought up 4 different games if you'd bothered to look.

You're not answering, you're just deflecting.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Well, five if you opt for the Playstation versions of the game, since that's a part of the exclusive content package.

Yeah, that exclusive content is looking like a bigger deal.

It's an exclusive strike and an exclusive PVP map.

If strikes wind up being the bread and butter of the PVE game (and they seem like it from the beta) than PS4 players are going to get roughly 20% more 'game' for their money.

I don't care about PVP, but I would guess there are going to be around 10 maps at launch.

Given that the missions seem like one and dones the game is basically going to come down to: Explore and farm the shit out of Strikes for weapon drops and EXP.

So that exclusive content is getting into my craw more and more if I'm going to be farming the same 4 strikes and PS4 players will have a 5th to farm at launch.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Just so everyone is on the same page about one aspect that is being brought up: http://a.pomf.se/vnfhmj.webm
"OH MY GOD THIS ONE GUY SAID THIS ONE THING AT THE END OF THIS ONE DEMO ( a BCD version of one already given without that addition ) BACK WHEN THE GAME WAS REVEALED, LET'S BASE ALL OUR EXPECTATIONS ON THAT! BUNGIE BETRAYED US!

I'm sorry guys, but this is just going too far for me. There was talk of something bigger and more ambitious at the reveal and early on when they talked about their vision for the franchise, so some disappointment is understandable, but you should've adjusted your expectations down when they stopped talking about that stuff and when it became clear ( through the trailers and alpha ) that that massive ambition could not be met with the launch version of the first title. Some of you seemed to have ridiculous 'No Man's Sky levels of exploration + World of Warcraft levels of content + multiple Skyrim-sized zones per planet'-expectations, and that's all to blame on yourself.

i'm sorry but this is just ridiculous at this point, this thread has snowballed out of control with hyperbole, panic and misinformation.

People are acting like they are getting a 720p game that cost $300 and the online is broken beyond repair, with bugs, screen tearing and other horrible stuff.

Completely agree, but I think Bungie needs to give us a clear idea of what were looking at in the final game too, I hope with the beta ending they will take the opportunity to give us more detail on whats in the final game.

Ah I dont know about this game, I was expecting different, definitely disappointing as I have nothing to play on this console and wanted this, I will still see how it is.

Did everyone forget about the "leaked" contract, which stated an aggressive release schedule of major new content every six months? From the way they've demonstrated the Beta, and the way they've talked about the game, this is the establishment of an infrastructure that will continue to constantly expand.

IIRC, the contract outlined a release schedule like this (my own speculation in parentheses):

6 months out: DLC (story missions, raid, crucible maps)

12 months out: Expansion (new locale)

18 months out: DLC

24 months out: Major Release

And then continues like this until reaching 4 major release.

This is not a "ship it!" scenario.

interesting....

Symax

This thread is just a strong contrast to the generated hype in the other thread. Both opinions are extremely one sided. And besides that: there are game breaking bugs in the the pvp section of the game...

The areas are too desolate for this and the enemy variety sucks. You can't put a green shader on the moon enemies and call them different. The moon is only slightly bigger than Old Russia and even more corridory. This sucks, I was really starting ti get behind the game too but if I've I've really already seen 40% of the explorable world there's no way I'm buying day 1.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
"OH MY GOD THIS ONE GUY SAID THIS ONE THING AT THE END OF THIS ONE DEMO ( a BCD version of one already given without that addition ) BACK WHEN THE GAME WAS REVEALED, LET'S BASE ALL OUR EXPECTATIONS ON THAT! BUNGIE BETRAYED US!
Only one person introduced that demo. It's in the first 5% of all the sentences he says across the whole demo.

I don't know why you're being all capslock and bold if you're factually incorrect?

I'm sorry guys, but this is just going too far for me. There was talk of something bigger and more ambitious at the reveal and early on when they talked about their vision for the franchise, so some disappointment is understandable, but you should've adjusted your expectations down when they stopped talking about that stuff and when it became clear ( through the trailers and alpha ) that that massive ambition could not be met with the launch version of the first title. Some of you seemed to have ridiculous 'No Man's Sky levels of exploration + World of Warcraft levels of content + multiple Skyrim-sized zones per planet'-expectations, and that's all to blame on yourself.

Maybe I haven't checked out enough previews, but I was always under the impression we'd have massive planets to explore, and lots of them. I do feel like 4/5 planets with 1 zone each is not what I thought this would be - and considering how silent Bungie has been on many aspects of the game I don't think it's unfair to say that's partly on them.

BigDug13

But Borderlands didn't have multiple fire teams on the same map.

Yeah that's my point, that type of game design forces their hand into making the game less immersive and more fake. Static spawns waiting to die and repopulate for the next guy doesn't feel like a real world. At least Borderlands made it seem more natural for each enemy spawn to be standing where they were and if you cleaned them out, they felt like you actually cleared the area of that enemy.

I'm not sure that being able to see other random players in the same world instance as you that you can't communicate with unless they're your friend is better than 4 player world instances generated by the host for 3 others to join in for some co-op with full communication and a more realistic spawning world of enemies that feels more persistent.

I can't handle all the breh's and screenshots of $0 down pre orders.

Maybe someday Destiny can be as good as Borderlands 2. Hey remember when Borderlands 2 had pre-orders for 3 different DLC's the day the game came out.

Stupid Activi..... Wait

Top Bottom