• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Only one area per planet

manual4

Banned
Didn't really enjoy the beta after giving the game time, but stil kept my pre order since there isn't much to play on my xbox one. Now i will just cancel and wait till gaf impressions

Ryan McCaffrey that guy, got me on his bs Titanfall overhype (good game still..but lacked content), the way he hypes destiny is the same, almost fell for it again.

There is examples of that I thought?

Regardless, youre right, they did change their messaging. They didnt continue to mention old chicago and stuff. But they never pulled back on it either, its not like they didnt realize people thought there would be more to explore, they have to get questions like this all the time.

My point is that Bungie themselves never stated if those regions were a part of PvE or weren't mission specific regions. A lot of what I'm finding in the articles that are brought up are the press inferring from concept art. 'Flying through rings of Saturn' being one of the big red flags.

Bungie should have corrected that early on, I agree. But I doubt it's some grand campaign of lies that folks are condemning them of

farisr

Yeah, that exclusive content is looking like a bigger deal.

It's an exclusive strike and an exclusive PVP map.

Yeah. Before when they announced it, I was like "this really isn't going to persuade people into getting the ps4 version over the xbox one version if they're on the fence. it's like the COD month exclusive map"

then when the rumors came out that it was a year, and it was revealed that it was 1 strike and a pvp map, I still went "not enough content"

Now that this has come to light, that it seems that it's possible there are 5 different strikes in the game It becomes a much bigger deal. (just an assumption, they may very well have planned a ton of different types of strikes per area with different enemies in which case it won't matter much)

I guess the biggest thing aside from the concept art vs what's available aspect is just that many of us thought we would be exploring Earth, not just Russia.
I can agree with you there. I hope we see more areas in the future. I can forgive any paid DLC not included in the full game if I can get 60+ hours out of the $60 I'm spending. I don't get anywhere near that much out of most games.

spannicus

Liar.gif

Lol

farisr

This is the engine they will continue to use for 10 years? An engine not designed around current technology, remaining scalable to 8 year old hardware?

Honestly, with this game, being persistent online and all. I don't think it's out of the equation that in the future, when they stop supporting ps3/360 when sales/income starts dying down from those 2 platforms, that to reinvigorate interest in the game on ps4/xbox one, they release a massive update to the engine taking advantage of these consoles, with a new physical release to go hand in hand with whatever expansions they've come out with so far.

That is, if they deem it worth it with going that route over releasing a Destiny 2.

Stimpack

Well, this was my fear during alpha. Not entirely surprising, but entirely expected. My only question is why? Why do most of these MMOs release with less content than some single-player games?

*also, please don't bother correcting the "MMO" comment.*

It is a damn shame that so many are willing to just accept that developers can make whatever ambitious claims they want early on in a games public reveal as long as they just stop talking about it later on. I know there are plenty of examples in the past of this same thing but to blame someone for setting expectations on what the developers explicitly said, seems ridiculous. If the scale of your game has been significantly decreased as time passes, addressing the original claims should be something we expect. We should expect more than just ignoring that they were ever made in the first place.

Found some more early overhype goodness.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/17/3993058/destiny-bungie-first-look-preview

Players will explore our solar system in Bungie's new first-person shooter, crafting personal stories as they travel Destiny's surreal, fantastic places.

As Guardians, players will battle alien species with exotic names like Sandeaters, War Rhinos and Spider Pirates. They'll wage war with time-traveling robots and evil space zombies. They'll have shared, social experiences that complement a crafted, mythic science-fiction universe.

Destiny is "always connected." Players will meet each other online to fight, trade, gamble, socialize. While Hirshberg says there are no plans to charge a subscription fee to play Destiny, the game will require an internet connection to experience.

A new experience every night. Bungie wants players to have a different experience every time they play, planning rare, time-limited and emergent activities. Jones hopes that players will sign on for a game of Destiny, but get distracted by the variety of content and activities within.

Depending on the amount of Public Events the game creates randomly, this could potentially occur.

Staten recounted his own personal Destiny story, a shared journey with Jones as they traveled to the planet Mars. After meeting in the City's social district, they visited a hangar, where Jones' newly purchased starship awaited them. Together, they traveled to Mars to explore the ancient remains of a lost human civilization and recover an artifact in Charlemagne's chamber, a bounty commissioned by the Queen of the Reef.

After reaching Mars, the pair ventured to the Dust Palace, a public meeting place, before venturing into a Cabal exclusion zone guarded by a group of heavily armored foes colloquially known as Sandeaters. Outgunned, the duo encounter another player, a Hunter, on her own mission on Mars. They decide to join up.

"Every time this happens," Staten says, "when you run into another player, a real person, it's amazing ... it just doesn't happen in other shooters.

Now a fireteam of three, they survive their battle against the Sandeaters and claim their prize: exotic weapons looted from Charlemagne's chamber. Those recovered weapons, an onyx, spiked "hand cannon" named Thorn, and a sleek, angular shotgun named Invictive, are part of Destiny's narrative. They'll tell their own stories, tied to players' own unique experiences. Weapons with colorful names like Fate of All Fools, Pocket Infinity and Super Good Advice will tell tales of their own."

This above is the type of stuff I'm referring to. Those little details like Mars having a social district, or " visiting your own starship " in the hanger. Shit like that would be awesome.

Here is the evolution of my thought process with Destiny. From the perspective of someone with ... peeked interest since the reveal.

You can read through my post history on my past hype with Destiny.

Originally, from the original e3 gameplay reveal I thought Destiny was basically ... Star Wars Galaxies / World of Warcraft within the Halo gameplay system. You know, pure FPS shooter, but inside a very large sci-fi world with planets to explore. The initial reveal made the game out to be a large shooter, where your friends can beam down to you on the spot or you can just be roaming around the open countryside and run into someone and then join up together and go fight.

See that mountain in the distance with a giant structure? Go to the structure. Basically, Skyrim. Yeah Skyrim. Skyrim meets Halo meets Borderlands but with 4-5 planets and other things to explore.

That was my original vision of Destiny, the one given to me by Bungie through concept art, the initial reveal, and early talk about how massive the game is, MMO, etc.

I wasnt really keeping up with the game too much from the initial reveals to the next or the next. I watched the VidDocs on PSN a ton of times though. Loved seeing how the game would look on my TV.

Then the e3 2014 video hit and I think this was the low point for Destiny, when it comes to the forum crowd anyway. Negativity everywhere. Still nothing really throwing me off my original thought on how the game would play. As I said, look at my past Destiny posts and you'll even hear me talking about how I think the game will be a huge open world to explore where you are riding around on your pike and just might see another dude doing the same thing off in the distance and you can get together and go cause trouble if you like. You can do this in the actual game, but you won't have any trouble finding anyone since there names are plastered all over your screen.

Then Alpha hit. The big question even then was " is this it? ". Imagine my surprise when I get into Alpha and Old Russia and see how pretty closed off the space was. Yes you can SEE far into the distance, and it is lovely, but when it comes to actually exploring around, all in all it is pretty much rails with spots to branch off. For example the opening area when you drop onto Earth. Right leads you somewhere, left leads you somewhere. Same when you are going to Skywatch. Left leads you to the planes area, right leads you to the forgotten shores ( which is just a split branch before going up to Skywatch ) and of course then the area leading you to Skywatch itself.

I saw that this was repeated on the moon. You basically just see trails leading off somewhere at a fork in the road. You will also see places you can very obviously reach, but the game gives you a coutdown and kills you for leaving the area. So, you have invisible walls as well.

So, there goes that old theory of mine where you have these massive worlds to explore and can just run into random people who are also out adventures. But then I read around and began seeing the same areas of Earth being mentioned alot. Old Chicago, Twilight Gap, etc. etc. So I was thinking, ah ok, you will have multiple " zones " within each planet, which is fine.

Wrong again! Old Russia is THE zone of Earth, it is not that big, and the pathing is basically an open world branching system with invisible kill walls.

So, the original vision has def. died away and been replaced by a shell of what I thought it would originally be. I mean, that didn't stop me from enjoying what it was and putting 25 - 30 hours into the Beta though and having a ton of fun. But I also can't lie and say I am extremely disappointed in what the original idea seemed to be compared to what the end product ended up being, in terms of scale.

Pretty much nails it. This is exactly what happened to me too.

Tobor

If nothing else, this is just further confirmation to me that doing any sort of pre-order that required you to pay money up front is very dumb.

It's confirmation to me that preorders are ok as long as I understand what I'm buying, which I do in the case of Destiny. From my time with the beta and Alpha, I know I'm getting value for my purchase.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Eh, it's the price to pay for overhyping things.

Fable is a totally fine game also. Even Spore is pretty decent. Diablo III worked itself out in the end.

When developers let gamers imaginations run wild and overpromise than they sort of deserve this kind of stuff.

Though, it's curious they ran a public beta that more or less debunked all of their promises prior to launch. Normally when Mouleneux'ing someone you don't let them find out till you have their money.

I'm still interested to see how the finished game is just to see how this inflated thread looks in hindsight. Evidently the friends that are playing this are enjoying it a lot and this is a mere fraction of the finished product.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
My point is that Bungie themselves never stated if those regions were a part of PvE or weren't mission specific regions. A lot of what I'm finding in the articles that are brought up are the press inferring from concept art. 'Flying through rings of Saturn' being one of the big red flags.

Bungie should have corrected that early on, I agree. But I doubt it's some grand campaign of lies that folks are condemning them of

Marketing would never correct that, it hypes their game and if push comes to shove they can point out it was a journo who said that not them.

It's the same with all the older more ambitious marketing material, they don't deny it so press and youtubers keep regurgitating it hyping the game.

It's good for preorders and week one sales.

Ridley327

So the level cap is 20 in the main game. Level cap in the beta is 8 right? That does not sound encouraging then. If we can get to level 8 rather quickly in the beta and understanding as you go higher it takes a bit longer to get to the next level, it just feels like it is not going to be as expansive as Bungie has let on.

No one in their right mind would think that only having Russia as playable and representing earth is enough, but it could be with what we know of the game now. Like others said, you cant compare Destiny to regular shooters because they built Destiny to be like a MMO where you group with friends, with that said, there needs to be content giving players incentive to want to be invested in it.

As it stands right now, being the rumor of 4 planets or so in the main game, we already have finished for the most part 1/4 of the game, give or take an hour or so for stuff locked away.

The way they're handling the endgame goes beyond reaching level 20. There's a stat that becomes standard on armor around that time called light that will put your level at even higher than 20, so that you can stand a chance against the end game mobs, who are above 20 themselves. On top of that, you unlock your second subclass at level 15, which has its own set of skills, and both subclasses will continue to level up even if you don't. And further on top of that, you actually gain an item for "leveling up" past 20 that you can collect to redeem for legendary equipment of all sorts from one of the vendors.

Granted, a lot of this hinges on the end game content being expansive enough to make the trip worth taking, but there is a lot in place now that suggests that they've put a lot of effort into making it a big part of the entire game.

Trickster

It is a damn shame that so many are willing to just accept that developers can make whatever ambitious claims they want early on in a games public reveal as long as they just stop talking about it later on. I know there are plenty of examples in the past of this same thing but to blame someone for setting expectations on what the developers explicitly said, seems ridiculous. If the scale of your game has been significantly decreased as time passes, addressing the original claims should be something we expect. We should expect more than just ignoring that they were ever made in the first place.

You should see what the people in the beta thread are saying about this topic. Apparently this is a shit topic because people are being critical about the game in here

EL CUCO

My biggest issue with the game is that the story mission are all pretty rote. You start the mission in a public zone follow the waypoint to an instance and fight your way to the objective and have your ghost interact with it. Queue wave after wave of enemies, kill them ,and mission over.

And the worst part is, when you do a different story mission, they send you back to the same exact location. It makes it feel extremely recycled.

I'd like to remain there and given the option to continue with the following missions or go back to Orbit. Instead they have all this padding and now we know why.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

Yeah, I agree but at the same time games are subject to change and we've never been told all the content in detail outlined.

What a curious thing to say.

It's his opinion. It might nit fit the narrative of this thread but plenty feel god about what they've played thus far.

unbias

I think the real grind is going to be leveling your subclasses, your elite weapons and your notoriety with different factions.

If we look at the PSO/PSU comparison the reality is that you level capped pretty early in those games but weren't really able to wreck shop until you had gotten good weapon drops and started maxing those guys out.

So, I think the end-game will have a lot of meta-game content. Just not a lot of actual game content. If the meta-game is good enough that won't be a problem. If the meta game is just so so it will be. I just need to know that the super rare weapons feel substantially different than the standard ones. One thing that PSO was really good at was making the really elite weapons feel different than their basic counterparts and not just putting out higher numbers. One of Borderlands biggest shortfalls IMO.

Yup, one thing PSO showed is, in order to get PSO popularity, you have to perfect the formula for the desire to want to get the loot and use it. Half of PSO's charm was its simplicity as well, so if they are indeed not going after the guild wars crowed but the PSO crowd(in terms of the itch of what you enjoy in loot games) they picked the more finicky one. I loved PSO and initially Destiny gave me the PSO feel, but it got bored of the same area a LOT quicker then I did in PSO.

This. People need to start holding developers and publishers responsible for blatantly selling these overly ambitious talking points to the public, then telling us to not think about them when time moves on and nobody ever mentions them again.

There is being a responsible consumer, but for shit like Watch_Dogs and
possibly
Destiny, I hold far more blame on the developer and publishers than "gullible" consumers.

How big are the areas per planet? I don't need many locations per planet as long as the areas are really big

Old Russia seems small, the Moon looks to be huge.

And the worst part is, when you do a different story mission, they send you back to the same exact location. It makes it feel extremely recycled.

I'd like to remain there and given the option to continue with the following missions or go back to Orbit. Instead they have all this padding and now we know why.

That is actually just criticism. The Moon sections could be explored yesterday, and the other missions seems to put you back in those areas.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
More disappointed there is no Chicago than there is not necessarily more than one destination per planet. Does this mean all the playable areas are no longer larger than all of reach or what have you?

Doesn't change my purchasing decision. Core gameplay is way too good and polished, and I will certainly still get way more out of this game than any other full retail title.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yeah. Before when they announced it, I was like "this really isn't going to persuade people into getting the ps4 version over the xbox one version if they're on the fence. it's like the COD month exclusive map"

then when the rumors came out that it was a year, and it was revealed that it was 1 strike and a pvp map, I still went "not enough content"

Now that this has come to light, that it seems that it's possible there are 5 different strikes in the game It becomes a much bigger deal. (just an assumption, they may very well have planned a ton of different types of strikes per area with different enemies in which case it won't matter much)

I think I remember them mentioning two strikes per area at one point.

You should see what the people in the beta thread are saying about this topic. Apparently this is a shit topic because people are being critical about the game in here

Well some trolls here are calling the game trainwreck, mess and disaster no wonder they get defensive. The gaming is fine and well it will sell a ton.

More disappointed there is no Chicago than there is not necessarily more than one destination per planet. Does this mean all the playable areas are no longer larger than all of reach or what have you?

Doesn't change my purchasing decision. Core gameplay is way too good and polished, and I will certainly still get way more out of this game than any other full retail title.

The core gameplay IS great :)

...that being said, if this wasn't coming with my White PS4, I don't think I'd be buying it

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I think the real grind is going to be leveling your subclasses, your elite weapons and your notoriety with different factions.

If we look at the PSO/PSU comparison the reality is that you level capped pretty early in those games but weren't really able to wreck shop until you had gotten good weapon drops and started maxing those guys out.
I don't remember leveling up to cap in PSO to be a trivial thing. Destiny sounds like the kind of game where people will hit the level cap in a weekend.

biteren

i can agree, this could be verywell the generation of disappointment.

i guess thats a lil too dreadful thinking

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The core gameplay IS great :)

...that being said, if this wasn't coming with my White PS4, I don't think I'd be buying it
Well, I'll have you know I still have both the 360 version and a white PS4 pre-ordered just in case :p

From what I've seen from the PS3 beta at least, the game is gorgeous and I definitely could settle for current gen graphics.

At leas those in that thread have decent context in that claim. This thread went beyond 'critical' a long time ago due to some people. Not everyone, maybe not even most.

Then again, it's par for the course on GAF. If the thread's initial tone is negative, than eventually it will reach the extreme of that. If it's positive, the same. There's exceptions, such as negative threads to GAF darlings like Souls titles, but generally that's how it goes.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Well, this was my fear during alpha. Not entirely surprising, but entirely expected. My only question is why? Why do most of these MMOs release with less content than some single-player games?

We don't know how much content is going to be there when this game is released. I'm primarily concerned with the missions. If the beta is what we're going to get per planet, I'm going to be pretty disappointed.

I sure hope they weren't expecting people to just go through the missions and then PVP, because I felt like the PVP was the weakest part of this entire beta.

MMaRsu

Banned
Here is the evolution of my thought process with Destiny. From the perspective of someone with ... peeked interest since the reveal.

You can read through my post history on my past hype with Destiny.

Originally, from the original e3 gameplay reveal I thought Destiny was basically ... Star Wars Galaxies / World of Warcraft within the Halo gameplay system. You know, pure FPS shooter, but inside a very large sci-fi world with planets to explore. The initial reveal made the game out to be a large shooter, where your friends can beam down to you on the spot or you can just be roaming around the open countryside and run into someone and then join up together and go fight.

See that mountain in the distance with a giant structure? Go to the structure. Basically, Skyrim. Yeah Skyrim. Skyrim meets Halo meets Borderlands but with 4-5 planets and other things to explore.

That was my original vision of Destiny, the one given to me by Bungie through concept art, the initial reveal, and early talk about how massive the game is, MMO, etc.

I wasnt really keeping up with the game too much from the initial reveals to the next or the next. I watched the VidDocs on PSN a ton of times though. Loved seeing how the game would look on my TV.

Then the e3 2014 video hit and I think this was the low point for Destiny, when it comes to the forum crowd anyway. Negativity everywhere. Still nothing really throwing me off my original thought on how the game would play. As I said, look at my past Destiny posts and you'll even hear me talking about how I think the game will be a huge open world to explore where you are riding around on your pike and just might see another dude doing the same thing off in the distance and you can get together and go cause trouble if you like. You can do this in the actual game, but you won't have any trouble finding anyone since there names are plastered all over your screen.

Then Alpha hit. The big question even then was " is this it? ". Imagine my surprise when I get into Alpha and Old Russia and see how pretty closed off the space was. Yes you can SEE far into the distance, and it is lovely, but when it comes to actually exploring around, all in all it is pretty much rails with spots to branch off. For example the opening area when you drop onto Earth. Right leads you somewhere, left leads you somewhere. Same when you are going to Skywatch. Left leads you to the planes area, right leads you to the forgotten shores ( which is just a split branch before going up to Skywatch ) and of course then the area leading you to Skywatch itself.

I saw that this was repeated on the moon. You basically just see trails leading off somewhere at a fork in the road. You will also see places you can very obviously reach, but the game gives you a coutdown and kills you for leaving the area. So, you have invisible walls as well.

So, there goes that old theory of mine where you have these massive worlds to explore and can just run into random people who are also out adventures. But then I read around and began seeing the same areas of Earth being mentioned alot. Old Chicago, Twilight Gap, etc. etc. So I was thinking, ah ok, you will have multiple " zones " within each planet, which is fine.

Wrong again! Old Russia is THE zone of Earth, it is not that big, and the pathing is basically an open world branching system with invisible kill walls.

So, the original vision has def. died away and been replaced by a shell of what I thought it would originally be. I mean, that didn't stop me from enjoying what it was and putting 25 - 30 hours into the Beta though and having a ton of fun. But I also can't lie and say I am extremely disappointed in what the original idea seemed to be compared to what the end product ended up being, in terms of scale.

That is pretty much how I feel too.

jblank83

What was that quote, content every year or something? New areas all the time via DLC?

They're going to milk this game, and they're going to milk it hard, and people are going to end up paying $499.99 for the full game with all areas.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I don't remember leveling up to cap in PSO to be a trivial thing. Destiny sounds like the kind of game where people will hit the level cap in a weekend.

I think in vanilla PSO the cap was relatively easy to hit. I think with Ep 2 it became a lot harder to cap out. It's been waaaay too long though.

Top Bottom