• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Only one area per planet

Quality > Quantity for me. I'm more interested in seeing if the campaign lives up to the expectations. I'd rather it have a great campaign with an epic story, varied gameplay and great settings over an empty, repetitive open world (solar system). I'm perfectly good with 4/5 explorable locations as long as the content is well done and interesting. I'd also be ok if some of the other locations only exist in campaign missions and aren't meant to be sandboxes.

Its impossible to tell any of this from a beta so I'll wait for the reviews and impressions before jumping in.

unbias

At leas those in that thread have decent context in that claim. This thread went beyond 'critical' a long time ago.

There are some overly critical comments, but for the msot part, I'm not seeing "beyond critical". Seems that people were expecting guild wars quality/quantity content, and we are not getting that, hence the disappointment.

Trickster

Well some trolls here are calling the game trainwreck, mess and disaster no wonder they get defensive. The gaming is fine and well it will sell a ton.

A lot of what is being said in here is true and reasonable as well though.

You don't think some people are being melodramatic?

Some, sure. A lot are simply expressing legit dissapointment about this.

I don't think a thread is bad just because it's a negative thread. A negative thread based on something worth being negative about, is better than pretending the issues aren't there. Which is honestly what the beta thread feels like to me, people just talking about how exciting it is to explore Old Russia, despite Old Russia being an empty enviroment with no incentives to explore, posting dance gifs, and going on and on about the alpha witdrawal in the period between the alpha and beta

btkadams

Didn't we see a screenshot that revealed a character level in the mid-20s, de-bunking the level 20 cap rumour? Why are people saying all of this stuff without proper confirmation? We don't know how many planets there are to explore but it looks like everyone is saying 4 or 5 for no reason.

unbias

I don't remember leveling up to cap in PSO to be a trivial thing. Destiny sounds like the kind of game where people will hit the level cap in a weekend.

The 1st time took a while to hit cap. After you leveled your MAG? Ya, you flew through levels.

Didn't we see a screenshot that revealed a character level in the mid-20s, de-bunking the level 20 cap rumour? Why are people saying all of this stuff without proper confirmation? We don't know how many planets there are to explore but it looks like everyone is saying 4 or 5 for no reason.

20 is the cap.

You can have an effective level higher then that though.

v4skunk84

Banned
All of those were in the above mentioned zones (not including DLC); also several of those were not part of the "overmap", but simply instanced locations still contained in the general lore of the area.

I have no idea of Bungie is going to do something similar. If they are only going for a seamless overmap still then I can "potentially" see a concern for content.
On the map in Borderlands2 there are easily 30 areas with out counting dlc, each with distinct landmarks/architecture.

Rolodzeo

DesTINY. That's what I'm a call it from now on.

XJyGY.gif

farisr

I definitely see bungie dropping a lot of dlc for this game. The game was most likely chopped up for the purpose of nickel and diming the consumer.

Honestly, with news like this, compared to what some of the reveals and demonstrations were promising, it seems likely to me as well. Waiting for reviews, impressions of the final game, and if my suspicions come out correct, I'll either be selling/returning the unopened game, use that money towards other games coming out this year and wait until a version comes out that includes a good amount of expansions.

The Llama

It's confirmation to me that preorders are ok as long as I understand what I'm buying, which I do in the case of Destiny. From my time with the beta and Alpha, I know I'm getting value for my purchase.
Do you really understand what you're buying, though? Sure seems like no knew really knows what the finished game will be, or else we wouldn't have this thread.

MMaRsu

Banned
Quality > Quantity for me. I'm more interested in seeing if the campaign lives up to the expectations. I'd rather it have a great campaign with an epic story, varied gameplay and great settings over an empty, repetitive open world (solar system). I'm perfectly good with 4/5 explorable locations as long as the content is well done and interesting. I'd also be ok if some of the other locations only exist in campaign missions and aren't meant to be sandboxes.

Its impossible to tell any of this from a beta so I'll wait for the reviews and impressions before jumping in.

Well the beta certainly didnt show any varied gameplay in PVE.

Gaz_RB

If you guys think that we've played all the story missions available on Earth, you are insane. You can easily tell by the disjointed story between the last earth mission and the first moon mission.

I think we'll still have tons of content to play through, and I'm not willing to jump to any conclusions regarding lack of content just from the small amount we were given in the beta. Bungie is not an idiot. They know these types of games needs tons of content, and with story missions as short as they are, you can bet that there will be tons of them.

teiresias

But we don't know how much content is in the final game. If the beta is any indication there will be a lot.

Repeatable missions (over and over and over) all in the same zone is not what I consider "a lot" of content. Such a thing was novel back when the first PSO came out, nowadays it's just boring.

tranciful

You don't think some people are being melodramatic?

This thread is basically

A. "Well this is disappointing -- I thought Destiny would be like Borderlands/Diablo/Guild Wars"

B. "You're crazy! How could you think Destiny would be like Borderlands/Diablo/Guild Wars??"

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
While it's disappointing that there's only one zone per planet, I guess it still may be possible that we only experienced a fraction of Old Russia and those auto-kill boundaries were just put there to keep the rest blocked off until release.

Right guys? Right?

:(

I actually think this may still be a possibility because of Bungie mentioning that you can go anywhere you see. It may be confined in Old Russia for now, but Bungie never mentioned explicitly going to other zones on Earth while they did state that the player could explore whatever they see when they were demonstrating the E3 demo.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
So people are mad because they based all expectations for the Destiny 1 launch off of concept art and Bungie's ambitions for the franchise as a whole as stated at the reveal, instead of what they actually showed you and let you play.

I think it's better if I just get out of this thread while I still can. Feel like I'm going crazy with all this hyperbole and people being unreasonable and might end up doing stuff that would get me banned.

Well the beta certainly didnt show any varied gameplay in PVE.

Its a beta meant to test Bungie's server side systems more than anything else. I'm not going to draw any conclusions from it other than the gunplay being decent, the visuals and polish being top notch and the game being pretty stable. I can wait till the full game has been released and reviewed.

There are some overly critical comments, but for the msot part, I'm not seeing "beyond critical". Seems that people were expecting guild wars quality/quantity content, and we are not getting that, hence the disappointment.

I'm disappointed too. I've made it known how I've felt about PvP and invisible walls (latter might be on Reddit due to Comic Con discussions there), but I've seen. But I'm also not trying to twist every press line of text into some grand conspiracy of lies proving how shit Destiny is going to be.

Point was to the person not to turn this into a thread war over non-contextualized shots.

Once again, most of the people aren't necessarily being like that, even if quite a few of that majority are piggy backing off of quotes of those who are taking it to an extreme. But it is setting the tone of the thread.

Edit: Not to mention that the thread has gone from 'No multiple hubs per planet' to Everything Wrong with Destiny and why it's just another scheme of Activision.

OneUh8

I put about 30 hours into the beta.... How many others put tons of hours into the beta? If I am spending that much time with limited content and still want to play more with the beta, I am sure the full game we will get our monies worth. I would love to see how many hours those who are complaining put into the beta. Considering it is around only 15% of the game.

Tobor

Do you really understand what you're buying, though? Sure seems like no knew really knows what the finished game will be, or else we wouldn't have this thread.

Yes, I do. There is going to be plenty of content for my dollar, and the gameplay is excellent.

I have no idea where this supposed outrage is coming from, nor do I understand it.

Repeatable missions (over and over and over) all in the same zone is not what I consider "a lot" of content. Such a thing was novel back when the first PSO came out, nowadays it's just boring.
Im talking about pvp maps and modes, good sized explorable areas, strikes, raids, weapons and armor, skill trees ect not just mission structure.

Karl Hawk

Banned
So people are mad because they based all expectations for the Destiny 1 launch off of concept art and Bungie's ambitions for the franchise as a whole as stated at the reveal, instead of what they actually showed you and let you play.

I think it's better if I just get out of this thread while I still can. Feel like I'm going crazy with all this hyperbole and people being unreasonable and might end up doing stuff that would get me banned.

I think we're better off being out of this, Tiemen. We don't want to get ourselves banned, do we? ;)

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
If you guys think that we've played all the story missions available on Earth, you are insane. You can easily tell by the disjointed story between the last earth mission and the first moon mission.

I think we'll still have tons of content to play through, and I'm not willing to jump to any conclusions regarding lack of content just from the small amount we were given in the beta. Bungie is not an idiot. They know these types of games needs tons of content, and with story missions as short as they are, you can bet that there will be tons of them.

I sure hope so. Because if they're just filling their planets with those little radios where you have to collect/kill a certain number of things and you only have 5-10 actual story missions, I'm going to be pretty disappointed.

Omega

Banned

Dude said everything was explorable in a demo. Turns out it's not

The people complaining are wrong and stupid though? k..

I don't really care because I already know Bungie is an overrated developer living off the success off Halo 1 and 2, but people aren't wrong to be upset. Don't say your game is one thing, then release something different and chalk it up to herpderp it was just concepts!

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
This game looks great from what I have played but I have friends that think this is gonna be the best game ever. I'm not sure the game will live up to the hype and this news doesn't help. Very fun from the beta but I am glad I stopped playing the beta, I woulda had 1/5 of the game spoiled for me apparently lol!

unbias

Agree but this game is far from a trainwreck alot of people here just want to bitch and moan. I understand they are disapointed and so am i.

There has been exactly 1 person in this thread so far that actually called the game a trainwreck. People bringing up a very small group of people going to the extreme, sounds to me of trying to change the talking point from the disappointment of the game, into a very select few posters in the thread being the target of calling the game a "trainwreck". I dunno, that seems just as obnoxious to me.

mmmm..... maybe.

Story was basically this ..

Opening : land on Earth, you dead mon! run! Find a ship! Oh pick up gun and kill those guys!

Tower : Welcome to your new home, now go find your master. We have beach volleyball and soccer if you are feeling tense.

Earth Mission 1 : Go find a warp drive for your ship. Look! Across the screen! A fallen ship. Go!

Earth Mission 2 : The Wizard came from the Moon! The hive is here! The darkness is closer then we thought .... * queue dark and ominous tones *

Earth Mission 3 : the fallen seem to be guarding something ...... kill them and find out! Oooo an array station. It exists! Onward!

Earth Mission 4 : The fallen are destroying the Cosmodrone looking for something. We find it first! We get! * gotten *, its codes for the array station! ONWARD!

Earth Mission 5 : Oooo array station! Got() ! This will someone save us!

Strike : evil machine god die

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Dude said everything was explorable in a demo. Turns out it's not

They never said other zones were explorable, but they did imply that everything in Old Russia was explorable. What if it still is? We played a restricted beta. Anything could have been arbitrarily blocked off.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Can somebody explain this? I understand leveling up the powers of your character but the wording here is confusing.

There's an attribute called Light. Light helps you earn exp after level 20 and it enhances your subclass abilities.

You can get light stats by equipping armor with light stats (Mostly Legendary armor)

mmmm..... maybe.

Story was basically this ..

Opening : land on Earth, you dead mon! run! Find a ship! Oh pick up gun and kill those guys!

Tower : Welcome to your new home, now go find your master

Earth Mission 1 : Go find a warp drive for your ship. Look! Across the screen! A fallen ship. Go!

Earth Mission 2 : The Wizard came from the Moon! The hive is here! The darkness is closer then we thought .... * queue dark and ominous tones *

Earth Mission 3 : the fallen seem to be guarding something ...... kill them and find out! Oooo an array station. Onward!

Earth Mission 4 : The fallen are destroying the Cosmodrone looking for something. We find it first! We get! * gotten *, its codes for the array station! ONWARD!

Earth Mission 5 : Oooo array station! Got() !

Strike : evil demon god die

This is actually the story. It's absurd considering how good they were at telling stories.

unbias

I'm disappointed too. I've made it known how I've felt about PvP and invisible walls (latter might be on Reddit due to Comic Con discussions there), but I've seen. But I'm also not trying to twist every press line of text into some grand conspiracy of lies proving how shit Destiny is going to be.

Point was to the person not to turn this into a thread war over non-contextualized shots.

Once again, most of the people aren't necessarily being like that, even if quite a few of that majority are piggy backing off of quotes of those who are taking it to an extreme. But it is setting the tone of the thread.

Edit: Not to mention that the thread has gone from 'No multiple hubs per planet' to Everything Wrong with Destiny and why it's just another scheme of Activision.

I'd say what created the tone for this thread was the hype for the game and now the disappointment. What exactly is wrong with using this thread to also complain about things that disappointed you about the game? The main focus still is how small the game is vs expectations and desires.

Ok, I’m going to try this one more time.

All the people making this into an outrage; stop. Just fucking stop. This is not an outrage. It’s not even close to one. You let your expectations go wild based on nothing; Bungie is not to blame. All we have ever seen in any trailer for Destiny was Reef ( Social ), Tower ( Social ), Mars, Venus, Earth ( Old Russia ), Moon and a single small snippet of Mercury ( Crucible ). That’s all. The Alpha reinforced that those were the only areas we’d see ( one area per planet ) due to how the navigation was set up. If you expected anything more than that, I’m sorry, but you yourself are the one to blame, not Bungie. All of these other areas were only present in the concept art from the initial reveal in which they talked about their ambitions for the Destiny franchise. Concept art. Nothing of that was confirmed for the full game ever.

Bungie didn’t ‘take stuff away’ from you, neither did Activision.

People in here claiming that they know what the final game will play like based on the beta also need to step back.

‘But the guns are so boring!’;
Yes, of course, because we were limited to Common and Uncommon gear in the Beta.

‘But Old Russia is so boring!’;
Yes, of course Old Russia gets boring when it’s the only thing you do for 20 hours straight. Everything is boring when you do it for 20 hours straight. You won’t be stuck on Earth in the final game, you’re free to constantly go somewhere else to make it feel fresh.

‘But there’s nothing to do! The endgame sucks!’;
Based off of what? The Beta? We were capped at 8 in the Beta, of course there’s not much to do. You’re supposed to play through the whole story and reach level 20 to reach the endgame, not stop at level 8 and go to Old Russia all the time and playing only Control in the Crucible on just two maps.

‘But I’ve already seen everything on old Russia and that’s 25% of the game!’;
No it fucking isn’t. First of all, you haven’t seen all of Old Russia; There were three areas still blocked off ( Jovian Complex, King’s Watch, Seraphim Vault / Bunker RAS-3 ) and some guarded by lv. ?? enemies ( Grottoes, Steppes basement ). You don’t know how old Russia will change when all of that properly opens up. Second of all, Venus seems to have much more content and a bigger map, and presumably Mars has a larger map too. I’d say that with what we’ve played, current Old Russia is maybe 10% tops.

’But it needs as much content as [ insert MMO here ]!’
No it doesn’t. This isn’t an MMO. This is a FPSRPG with some MO ( notice the missing M? ) elements and should be treated as such. Expect Borderlands-level amounts of content for the initial release ( which they seem to already be passing ), not MMO-levels.

the beta was a small slice from the beginning of the game, not the entire game shrunk down into a smaller package. Destiny has some stuff that needs looking at, some elements that might not work out and I completely understand if this isn’t your kind of game. That’s fine. But from what I can see, the amount of content isn’t going to be a problem. So can we just stop this stupid unreasonable outrage over nothing please? You guys are overreacting in a big way.

OK, so, people are allowed to like/dislike what they want. No need for all this.

People dislike my game. Hell, even an indie dev HERE talked shit about my game in one of the indie threads thinking he was slick. You know what? Let him. I don't care at this point. I'll care if its 90% of the people that play my game but an obvious drive-by-hating is indicative of jealousy and not straight hatred for the game, but you know what? I didn't say a thing. I didn't defend my game or try to make bullet points on why he's a pompous prick because I didn't need to. Plenty of feedback I've gotten is positive, a few haters don't mean jack. They are allowed to.

People are allowed to voice their concerns when it is their money they are dumping. They have every right to. If someone finds that content dreadfully repetitious and wants MORE to explore/do - so be it. No need to hate on anyone calling their opinions "stupid unreasonable outrage". It's entirely reasonable to not find the same return on investment as someone else because everyone values things differently. It's absurd you even think it should be linear.

jem0208

Is it social? There's no way to talk to those random people unless they're on your friend list right? You're seeing random people fighting the same stuff as you and I guess that can make the game feel less lonely than Borderlands, especially during random events that players converge on, I'll give you that. But there's no real communication going on with them.

Very true, I suppose it's kinda the illusion of social. It is pretty neat to be fighting a group of enemies and have another person come along to help out. Although I didn't like it on the moon, just ruined the atmosphere.

I bet you Borderlands 2 vanilla has more content than Destiny. Idk what they've been doing with all that money and dev time (probably around 50-75 mil for development + a few years).

Top Bottom