• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Only one area per planet

Z3M0G

Why do levels in this game even exist? You'll hit the cap 20 in no time, and your skills will continue to unlock, and you'll continue finding more loot... why have a short period of time at the beginning of the game where your loot is restricted by level?

I'm honestly wondering about the justifiable game design mechanics that made this a necessary thing to do?

Norns

Why do levels in this game even exist? You'll hit the cap 20 in no time, and your skills will continue to unlock, and you'll continue finding more loot... why have a short period of time at the beginning of the game where your loot is restricted by level?

I'm honestly wondering about the justifiable game design mechanics that made this a necessary thing to do?
So players aren't overwhelmed by skill choice the second the game opens. Makes weapon balance in pve easier to handle. Gives you another form of progression while playing the story.

Zakalwe

Banned

It's fun to level, it's not fun to grind for ages to a level cap just so you can start grinding for the gear you need. It also introduces skills at an even pace.

Looks like Bungie agree, so they let us power up our character quickly so we can access the top level gear. It's then probably up to us how much time we spend grinding for it.

I can say now "hah haahahah!"

Time ago I was seeing people super hyped with the game, they were saying "omg you can explore a planet. And there are several planets, you can explore the entire solar system!!".

Meanwhile I was thinking, well, the game is a FPS. Another one. It will have level 1, level 2, level 3, etc. up to 20 or 25 or whatever number. They are just putting level 1-2-3 as hub in planet A, level 4-5 as planet B, etc. The content is the same, you just choose them picking a planet instead of playing them linearly. But the game surely won't have 50x more content than other equivalent FPS in the market. People shouldn't expect more.

It was like believing that you really can explore the galaxy in Mass Effect, it's just a set of scenarios in specific places, there is no "galaxy".

QaaQer

Yet most people's interest in the game went high and are surely buying the game. I still think you're disillusioned with the entire game even though we played the beta.

yeah, probably. Expectations are a bitch.

I wanted a touchstone, a massive real next gen game with an intoxicating blend of story and outrageous gameplay innovations; not just a highly polished cross gen coop shooter with typical bad videogame story.

Still, if I'm wrong, beta was not representative of the game, I'll be ecstatic. I'd love to be wrong and I'd gladly eat crow.

They probably should have had a TV somewhere playing some archival footage of Putin - his head attached to the robot body that allows him to rule for centuries - claiming he had nothing to do with The Fallen.

That guy. He had every hotel in Sochi put a framed 8X10 of his face in each room for the Olympics. What kind of guy does that?

soldat7

So if there are only four different planets, that means we've covered 25% of the story mode in the Beta. That is extremely disappointing if true. That might explain the low (20) level cap...

I doubt we've come even remotely close to seeing 25% of the story mode. What game has given you 25% of it in the form of a demo? Prey?

You guys are like grasshoppers jumping to all these conclusions.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Seems like this is it.

6nX.jpg

One area per planet is what I already expected.

Here is the full map of Venus:
destinyd9py9.jpg

7 campaign missions
2 strikes
1 raid
Free roam

If they repeat this on all other places [Earth, Moon, Mars], we will have a lot of content on our hands. And who knows what will be on Reef [probably some end-game stuff].

More than enough content IMO.

I had never seen these, thanks.

I think there will be a lot of content based on the maps. Venus looks bigger than Old Russia too.

I can say now "hah haahahah!"

Time ago I was seeing people super hyped with the game, they were saying "omg you can explore a planet. And there are several planets, you can explore the entire solar system!!".

Meanwhile I was thinking, well, the game is a FPS. Another one. It will have level 1, level 2, level 3, etc. up to 20 or 25 or whatever number. They are just putting level 1-2-3 as hub in planet A, level 4-5 as planet B, etc. The content is the same, you just choose them picking a planet instead of playing them linearly. But the game surely won't have 50x more content than other equivalent FPS in the market. People shouldn't expect more.

It was like believing that you really can explore the galaxy in Mass Effect, it's just a set of scenarios in specific places, there is no "galaxy".
No. Just. Just no. Nobody expected an entire solar system. What we did not expect was to be slogging through the exact same respawns in explore mode with zero context to the task at hand as we did in story mode. Picking up different beacons sends you through the exact same areas kilking the same mobs over and over again or babysitting your ghost while it works on a downed machine in the environment. There is little to no variation to the design or encounters. Its just a stage filled with infinitely respawning enemies with little to no regard of actual context for your current task. CLEAR THE AREA - correction. Go anywbere, kill anything. COLLECT THESE THINGS from any enemy anywhere.

todahawk

Why were you hoping that?

This game is comparible to Halo more than an MMO, and it's currently in line with Halo for enemy variety.

I don't know, I'm managing my expectations differently I suppose.

Beta, not all areas uncovered, etc...

Yeah, wasn't there a region called King's Watch that wasn't available?

Still, I'm a bit bummed that there will be no other locations on earth besides Old Russia. Liked the looks of the little bit of art I saw of that jungle-ish location (India?) and love the thought of exploring old Chicago.

The cynic in me says to expect those locations in DLC.

frequency

I come into Destiny expecting an online cooperative Halo I could play with my friend through the story. It's structurally different but in terms of length/content I will be happy if Destiny is Halo-like.

I don't expect MMO levels of content.

One area per planet sounds fine to me for what I want out of Destiny.

And as a bonus, if the gameplay holds up longer term, I'll have Monster Hunter-like grinding to play for a while.

QaaQer

I come into Destiny expecting an online cooperative Halo I could play with my friend through the story. It's structurally different but in terms of length/content I will be happy if Destiny is Halo-like.

I don't expect MMO levels of content.

One area per planet sounds fine to me for what I want out of Destiny.

And as a bonus, if the gameplay holds up longer term, I'll have Monster Hunter-like grinding to play for a while.

a sci-fi monster hunter would be awesome.

Tash

Question:

I got to lvl 8 on my Voidwalker and to level 5 with the other two classes but I still don't get the level and ability system. Is there any customization at all? It seems I need to activate them as they unlock and the upgrade versions of those skills level up automatically as well.

Is there a ability point system later where I actually have a limited amount of points to spend?

Zakalwe

Banned
Yeah, wasn't there a region called King's Watch that wasn't available?

Still, I'm a bit bummed that there will be no other locations on earth besides Old Russia. Liked the looks of the little bit of art I saw of that jungle-ish location (India?) and love the thought of exploring old Chicago.

The cynic in me says to expect those locations in DLC.

Them bing DLC is perfectly acceptable if the core game justifies itself with amount of content.

We will definitely see new areas as DLC. That's pretty much guaranteed.

Time will tell if they're being fair about it.

Question:

I got to lvl 8 on my Voidwalker and to level 5 with the other two classes but I still don't get the level and ability system. Is there any customization at all? It seems I need to activate them as they unlock and the upgrade versions of those skills level up automatically as well.

Is there a ability point system later where I actually have a limited amount of points to spend?

There are a few either/or skills in the class skill list, but it looks like the majority of customisation will be via the gear you receive. With mods that show motion tracker on ads, or ones that clock you when you ads, or kills returning ammo to the magazine, etc... It looks like the choices aren't ever going to be obvious or binary, with choice utility adding a decent amount of variety.

Hopefully they'll deliver on this foundation.

Sercsd

Neo Member
I keep thinking it's skylanders for FPS market just with out the toys and we buy area's/weapons/armour bit by bit till we've spent way more than we expected. It's the shit free to play model on a full price game where we pay to try it and then add to the experience bit by bit until we can't take no more.

YoshiEx

Neo Member
This hang up on the level cap is, I think, misplaced. Even with the beta cap at 8 i was able to progress my characters skills. 20, if that's even the true "cap" might just be an unlock for the main attributes but then just like weapon and armor upgrades, your skills will continue to evolve. I'm still really excited for this game; actually more so now.

Trickster

I thought they had some areas on Earth and on the Moon that were locked. No?

There's a couple of inaccesible places yes, doesn't really mean you should expect the zones in the retail release to be signnificantly bigger. I actually wouldn't expect them to be bigger at all when doing normal exploration mode. My guess is that the locked off areas are significant story missions places, that you only have access to during specific story missions.

Norns

I keep thinking it's skylanders for FPS market just with out the toys and we buy area's/weapons/armour bit by bit till we've spent way more than we expected. It's the shit free to play model on a full price game where we pay to try it and then add to the experience bit by bit until we can't take no more.
What are you going on about here? There's not been a single indication this is happening.

glottis8

Banned
There's a couple of inaccesible places yes, doesn't really mean you should expect the zones in the retail release to be signnificantly bigger. I actually wouldn't expect them to be bigger at all when doing normal exploration mode. My guess is that the locked off areas are significant story missions places, that you only have access to during specific story missions.

Thats what i thought. From what i can remember it was 4 places that had a new name but no access. I hope those places really expand the world.

Also.. it would be nice to see a variety of enemies. I know we only played the intro to the game. But fighting the same enemies was not very fun on the long run.

Game needs a map. Either an unlock or collectible.

Also.. i hope they can make their loading times a little faster, and less. Like the option to return tot he tower without having to go to the level select menu.

I am still pretty much excited about the game. I just hope the missions don't just last 10 mins. overall. That mission on the moon took like 8 mins haha

QaaQer

It looks like the regular game + dlc model to me.

Vhalyar

If they repeat this on all other places [Earth, Moon, Mars], we will have a lot of content on our hands. And who knows what will be on Reef [probably some end-game stuff].

More than enough content IMO.

The Reef is [apparently] another social hub, so I wouldn't expect missions there.
What I'm really looking forward to is the Vanguard area. Please let it be stuff like Horde Mode...

This is all speculation... the Wikia shows old chicago and Europa as well: http://destiny.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Locations

"Old Chicago is speculated to be the ruins of present-day Chicago"

You don't say, wiki :D

BajiBoxer

Banned
Except it's nothing like the ftp model...

From what I have seen the last couple of months I can not see how this game does not warrant the 60 bucks. All of a sudden people are cancelling their pre-orders because the PR departement mentioned a few things that are not going to be in the end game. So what? The majority of the game that has been promised is still in there, with the same incredible art direction and finishing touch that Bungie is known for. You guys will be surprised how many developers mentioned gameplay aspects that were never present in the end product, but did they turn out for the worse because of it? No.

BigDug13

Expansions add more levels maybe?

From what I have seen the last couple of months I can not see how this game does not warrant the 60 bucks. All of a sudden people are cancelling their pre-orders because the PR departement mentioned a few things that are not going to be in the end game. So what? The majority of the game that has been promised is still in there, with the same incredible art direction and finishing touch that Bungie is known for. You guys will be surprised how many developers mentioned gameplay aspects that were never present in the end product, but did they turn out for the worse because of it? No.

This. I wasn't even considering Destiny until I played the Beta and loved it. The game is solid and one of the better offerings coming this year.

BigDug13

And RIOT coined the term MOBA to not say their game was a dota clone, whch it was.

How's the saying, if it walks like a duck and smells like a duck...

But it doesn't walk like a duck or smell like a duck. At any point in time, will there ever be more than 16 people in the same world instance? Is there any persistent world that hundreds or even thousands of people can all interact with? 12-16 total people in a world instance as a max in the entire game is simply not an MMO.

The game seems like it's fun enough. Definitely not doing anything game-changing and missions all feel samey so far. But the gunplay and battles are fun enough. If you're not into PvP, the longevity of the PvE is really the major question for me.

Orayn

And RIOT coined the term MOBA to not say their game was a dota clone, whch it was.

How's the saying, if it walks like a duck and smells like a duck...

To be fair, Destiny is in the company of games like Guild Wars 1 that share many features of the MMO genre but have enough differences that fans and developers alike don't agree on the genre label.

Skylanders is anything but F2P, that's why Destiny sounds like it'll be just like it.

Pay for the base game, spend silly amounts on DLC making up the rest of the game.

At the moment, Destiny has two $20 expansions planned that will presumably be released over the course of a year or so. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt until they announce more.

Portugeezer

Has anyone compared this game to Warframe? From a content standpoint?

Warframe also has randomly generated locations. Though yes, they still feel repetitive.

The moon in Destiny had copy and paste caves and bunkers, I fear it will also feel repetitive.

The underground cave was cool though.

Wasnt the character creation system supposed to be much deeper than a couple of color and face options?

I'm going to get the game because I see potential in this title, but I was expecting a deep online RPG experience with guns, set in a massive world where you could roam freely and do what you want where you want.

todahawk

Them bing DLC is perfectly acceptable if the core game justifies itself with amount of content.

We will definitely see new areas as DLC. That's pretty much guaranteed.

Time will tell if they're being fair about it.

There are a few either/or skills in the class skill list, but it looks like the majority of customisation will be via the gear you receive. With mods that show motion tracker on ads, or ones that clock you when you ads, or kills returning ammo to the magazine, etc... It looks like the choices aren't ever going to be obvious or binary, with choice utility adding a decent amount of variety.

Hopefully they'll deliver on this foundation.

Agreed on fairness, I'm hopeful but trying to keep expectations in check.

re: variety- As the beta ended I was finally checking the differences in stat bonuses because my Warlock's grenade cooldown is insanely quick and finally saw that I had big discipline bonuses on almost all of my armor. I like the trade offs and decisions to make on what to keep and equip. do i take a slight hit on armor to get more discipline or whatever? or the armor that has a bonus to my fav class of weapon. i do like the amount of possibilities to customize and help compliment your play style.

The moon in Destiny had copy and paste caves and bunkers, I fear it will also feel repetitive.

The underground cave was cool though.

I noticed this too when I was on the Moon. In Old Russia there are a few copy and paste caves but there were a few unique ones with a bit of loot in there too.

But literally every single cave I saw in Moon was exactly the same. Same rock placement and layout. Bit disappointing to be honest!

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I noticed this too when I was on the Moon. In Old Russia there are a few copy and paste caves but there were a few unique ones with a bit of loot in there too.

But literally every single cave I saw in Moon was exactly the same. Same rock placement and layout. Bit disappointing to be honest!

Did you play The Librarian?

Not new territory for Bungie.

I'm still getting the game (and am actually very excited for it), but it's amazing how different the delivered product appears to be from the hinted at product. We all got Moleneux'ed.

Did you play The Librarian?

Not new territory for Bungie.

I'm still getting the game (and am actually very excited for it), but it's amazing how different the delivered product appears to be from the hinted at product. We all got Moleneux'ed.

Huh? What the Librarian?!

Top Bottom