• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Only one area per planet

Trickster

Appreciate there's all sorts of discussion that's happened already here - my two cents is that I played all the story missions in the beta and they clearly felt like simple introductory missions eg you only got all your weapon slots by the end of them. I've just played a bit of the free roam and there's an area you simply can't get past due to infinitely levelled enemies with who knows how large an area beyond. I still feel confident there'll be plenty of content in the basic game - whether it's enjoyable is a different question ;)

It's not that big or interesting, sorry.

ButchCat

To me it's weird how harsh many here were on BioShock: Infinite for being an arena shooter while Destiny gets a free pass for being just that.

That's a weird thing to say. Are you saying that nobody could possibly be disappointed enough to not get the game based on this news?

I'm just jesting (in the sense that of course I don't know what everyone will do), of course it's a little disappointing. Still though, content-wise my guess is we're seeing less than a quarter of the game. Given that I'm a regular on the beta thread, I see that some people who like the game have put up to 50 hours into it with an average of maybe 20. So if you like the gameplay, this news shouldn't do anything to change your opinion on the final release.

Etnos

Banned
Grimløck;122861962 said:
daaamn. that's kinda whack, considering how short the missions are. yea, there's explore mode, but that's essentially doing the same things over and over.

Carrot on the stick yooo, carrot on the stick...

I wonder if the size of the areas, especially their fragmentation into mid-sized sub-areas, is partially due to cross-gen compatibility. Other games on PS360 had bigger areas, but AFAIK none of them delivered a comparable amount of detail at stable 30fps.
I can't imagine this game not being heavily affected by cross-gen, across the board, from the size and layout of the zones to the number of enemies in encounters to the capability (or lack thereof) to make periodic game updates.

I'd love to know how many knobs and levers they have to control the game purely through direct server changes, sans updates. Bungie has some serious engineering talent, and its only gotten more impressive with each game they've put out. But even that is probably tempered big-time by the need to support four platforms.

SegaShack

Gaf is not the public, breh. Far from it.

I'm guessing you were one of the people who were shocked and angry that Watch Dogs did so well week one.
This news will spread and be much bigger. Ever since XB1 I came to the conclusion that the hardcore and online communities really do have a huge influence.

DNAbro

This news will spread and be much bigger. Ever since XB1 I came to the conclusion that the hardcore and online communities really do have a huge influence.

There is a huge difference between "XB1 is full of anti consumer BS" and "I think this game won't have enough content"

I was playing on XB1, but from the C base you spawn at the beginning of the game, you just move straight forward til you get to the tiny hill. You can pop people running or waiting to get on their Sparrows at the A base spawn.

Ah yes, I've seen snipers camp up on high right after that C base on Mars.

Dominator

To me it's weird how harsh many here were on BioShock: Infinite for being an arena shooter while Destiny gets a free pass for being just that.
Wait... what?

WTF.gif

sjay1994

I don't mind if its one area for mars, moon and venus, since you can't exactly do much with them... but earth?

Come on, you could do so much with earth. Visit ruined chicago, france, india, etc.

Russia being the only zone on earth is a big disappointment.

Ajax35

Banned
Very disappointing, especially since I'm darn near 100% sure that stuff is being deliberately held back for DLC. I'm still buying on day one because my son and I are both going to be playing this so two of us benefit from this purchase instead of just one person. If it was just me, I would pass and wait for a price drop. Not like there isn't a bunch of other stuff coming out this fall.

Caja 117

Between my Warlock and my Hunter I've played the beta about 10 hours for the story missions available so far.

That's longer than the average time to complete the campaign in Halo 1 through Reach. Now, naturally I've replayed the missions, but a game like Destiny encourages replaying to a much larger extent than something like Halo.

I've have NO doubts about getting my money's worth, even if it only is 5 Old Earth-sized maps (though I'm convinced we haven't seen it all yet).

So you are telling me you can finish each halo game in around 1 hour 30 minutes each?

SegaShack

yup. i can tell you one major publisher has a staff member combing GAF.
Also tons of employees including Albert Penello (who got ousted for lying on here) and Major Nelson.

I feel by this point that the casual gamer is much smaller of a market than it used to be. If XB1 with Kinect and Kinect Sports was released a few years earlier it would have been a hit. Wii Fit U also failed to do well like Wii Fit and Wii Sports. Now it feels like a hardcores market.

Grady

Seeing the whole 10 year plan, and figuring last gen will be dead in a couple of years, makes it seem pointless to release it on ps3 and 360. Why not put those resources into current gen and make a bigger better game. 360 owners are just going to jump ship once COD drops anyways.

Soroc

Seeing the whole 10 year plan, and figuring last gen will be dead in a couple of years, makes it seem pointless to release it on ps3 and 360. Why not put those resources into current gen and make a bigger better game. 360 owners are just going to jump ship once COD drops anyways.

Because sales....

Cancelled my preorder seeing how most of the content is going to be locked behind expansion packs.

So re-preordered Guardian edition instead

Was that necessary?

Also tons of employees including Albert Penello (who got ousted for lying on here) and Major Nelson.

I feel by this point that the casual gamer is much smaller of a market than it used to be. If XB1 with Kinect and Kinect Sports was released a few years earlier it would have been a hit. Wii Fit U also failed to do well like Wii Fit and Wii Sports. Now it feels like a hardcores market.

The fuck?

Nexas

The small number of areas wouldn't bother me that much if each area was packed to the brim with interesting quests and loot, but that doesn't seem to be the case having played the beta. Old Russia is pretty much empty outside of those lame ass beacon quests. There is no reason for me to explore the world if I'm not going to get or see anything interesting or unique for doing so.

Lakitu

st5fu
The small number of areas wouldn't bother me that much if each area was packed to the brim with interesting quests and loot, but that doesn't seem to be the case having played the beta. Old Russia is pretty much empty outside of those lame ass beacon quests. There is no reason for me to explore the world if I'm not going to get or see anything interesting or unique for doing so.

I get the feeling I'll just be spending my time there only for the awesome art design, grinding and farming.

HTupolev

That's longer than the average time to complete the campaign in Halo 1 through Reach. Now, naturally I've replayed the missions, but a game like Destiny encourages replaying to a much larger extent than something like Halo.
That's actually exactly what I'm worried about; that Destiny requires more content because I WON'T feel like replaying the shit out of it. Two nights ago I played through four levels of Halo 3's campaign while discussing the Destiny beta with a friend. My Halo 1 disc is sitting right now in my still-actively-used oXbox, and I've probably played some of that game's levels in excess of 100 times. Bungie's Halo games are tremendously replayable.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
if this is the star map pretty dissapointing lol. even though we know venus and mars has more missions than earth.

When I first saw the full star map I had hoped that The Reef was going to be a stopping point that would then open up the other half of The Solar System. And with the ships on sale being all "long range" versions etc. from the Alpha that our default ship would only let us get to The Reef.

Shame that is all there seems to be, my biggest worry has always been the amount of content this game will have, especially with how short the story missions are and the lack of any real story development going on. If the main game unfolds like the beta I'm going to be rather disappointed, I mean the game starts with a Ghost telling us we've been dead and we won't understand what's going on, then they continue by not really telling us anything to not understand anyway.

SegaShack

The fuck?
What would you like me to explain? Not long ago motion games and media features were the big thing and now people would rather go for the hardware with the best specs.

Look at Wii and Kinect 1 sales. Look at Kinect Sports sales and Wii Fit sales versus the recent entries in both series.

AHA-Lambda

Hey guys, what did I miss, gee thread got big while I was away.

Destiny will have 22 Story missions, 11 Crucible maps, 6 Strikes, 4 Exploration areas, and 1 Raid at launch

That+s+it+I+m+out.+A+grown+ass+man+just+said_9e746c_4723734.gif

10 year grand plan worth $500m people.

Top Bottom