• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT37| Everything Old is New Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad Bungie is taking the time to patch their overpriced book, but will leave the auto rifle bug and all the other bugs they introduced this patch untouched for months.

Fucking bungie. They're trash sometimes.

It was always that way with the raids. Cheese strats were patched quickly, the frustrating bugs were left to linger for months.

Yes yes yes. I'm sure it isn't as easy as a copy and paste but damn if I definitely wish Bungie would straight up copy Blizzard in a lot of what's in Diablo RoS.

My hopes were threw the roof when Kotaku said that the D3 team came & talked to Bungie about loot.

The trouble is that Destiny is a fundamentally different end game with different activities, each with their own loot tables, and different itemization priorities and levels.

For example, there's no max item level or attack value in Diablo. Items roll with ranges on perks.

Destiny ties everything to gear score, drops items of varying ilvl, has a tier of items above legendary, has weekly loot lockouts and every perk is binary. Additionally, all of Destiny is balanced around PvP, a huge complication.

Destiny's light system, the gear score, gives a sense of an end state, especially in Year 2 when it's impossible to get there. How many people will quit when they hit 320 or quit because they feel like "the goal" is 320 and never get there. The true end game should be finding gear you love and building a set to make it awesome. Think about your raid gear. Touch of Malice, Hung Jury, Spindle, 1kYS, for everyone here. How boring.

That idea of an fixed end state doesn't exist in Diablo. The D3 end game centers on building sets, then improving each set item. Diablo loot doesn't have to be balanced and their whole ethos is making the player feel awesome and abilities feel powerful. Some builds and sets will always be strongest, but you can progress without always doing the hardest thing there is. I can progress doing Normal rifts or Bounties just as much as pushing the highest Greater rift I can. Normal rifts give me Death's Breath for rerolling or cubing. Adventure mode gives me keys for ubers, DBs & cube mats. Greater rifts give me tons of blood shards for Kadala.

This is crucial, I can feel like I'm progressing no matter what I do. As opposed to Destiny which puts that light number on every screen and makes that the biggest number on every piece of gear. And then to make decisions that make something fun, that number will go down? How does that make sense?

flkraven

Is this the biggest mess they've made in a patch since Destiny launched? The eververse race book glitch, auto rifles remaining unchanged, exotic legs decrypting to nothing, certain armors not appearing in the kiosk, iron banner ghosts show up red for some people, black spindle now 'not' upgraded, People being kicked for inactivity in races.

Seems crazy for a single patch.

It would be misleading if Bungie ever said that. They haven't. The only time they have confirmed their plan was this week where they said we will keep getting event like drops that are supplemented by microtransactions. Go back and read the wording of the Silver announcement, it clearly says that the microtransactions are to bolster the live team, not that DLC like the DB and HoW will be free.

Good point, you are right.

I went back and read. It looks like it should have been interpreted as, "Hey.. no more actual DLC until next fall. In the mean time, go trick or treating and race some sparrows."

Trakan

It would be misleading if Bungie ever said that. They haven't. The only time they have confirmed their plan was this week where they said we will keep getting event like drops that are supplemented by microtransactions. Go back and read the wording of the Silver announcement, it clearly says that the microtransactions are to bolster the live team, not that DLC like the DB and HoW will be free.

Silence can be just as misleading. They didn't clarify any incorrect articles or assumptions, they just stayed quiet like they always do.

God I hate communication of this company.

My hopes were threw the roof when Kotaku said that the D3 team came & talked to Bungie about loot.

The trouble is that Destiny is a fundamentally different end game with different activities, each with their own loot tables, and different itemization priorities and levels.

For example, there's no max item level or attack value in Diablo. Items roll with ranges on perks.

Destiny ties everything to gear score, drops items of varying ilvl, has a tier of items above legendary, has weekly loot lockouts and every perk is binary. Additionally, all of Destiny is balanced around PvP, a huge complication.

Destiny's light system, the gear score, gives a sense of an end state, especially in Year 2 when it's impossible to get there. How many people will quit when they hit 320 or quit because they feel like "the goal" is 320 and never get there. The true end game should be finding gear you love and building a set to make it awesome. Think about your raid gear. Touch of Malice, Hung Jury, Spindle, 1kYS, for everyone here. How boring.

That idea of an fixed end state doesn't exist in Diablo. The D3 end game centers on building sets, then improving each set item. Diablo loot doesn't have to be balanced and their whole ethos is making the player feel awesome and abilities feel powerful. Some builds and sets will always be strongest, but you can progress without always doing the hardest thing there is. I can progress doing Normal rifts or Bounties just as much as pushing the highest Greater rift I can. Normal rifts give me Death's Breath for rerolling or cubing. Adventure mode gives me keys for ubers, DBs & cube mats. Greater rifts give me tons of blood shards for Kadala.

This is crucial, I can feel like I'm progressing no matter what I do. As opposed to Destiny which puts that light number on every screen and makes that the biggest number on every piece of gear.

Yup.

Diablo 3 is open ended in their end game-You can buffer the difficulty and things will be harder despite having the best gear, either in ability affixes or number of enemies. The gear is randomized, so it's possible to build specific builds to play.

Destiny tried to do this with the 'arc' armor affixes, but it's literally nothing. Having extra armor because of the Arc perk doesn't really feel like it's doing anything. The artifacts are literally nothing. Artifacts don't change how you approach them-There is no reason to have various artifacts that do something different because the different between 'Melee generates orbs' or 'Grenade generates orbs' doesn't serve to any strategy. People know how to chain supers, but none of the raid fights really allow for proper use of that-Sure there's the warpriest where using your supers feeds into shadowshots/bubbles, but that's static. That fight will always goes the same with a competent group.

Diablo on the other hand, has a variety of affixes for their gear. Some that buff specific elements, thus encouraging different builds-Oh I got this weapon that buffs fire damage, I'm going to change my skills to be fire based. Kinda like Destinys armor, but it actually changes the game.

Destiny wishes it could have Diablos end game. Just the open ended values of it.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Lol
Day one: patch of forever confirmed
Day two: biggest mistake since launch

Man, I wish the majority of gaf were creators instead of consumers. Sometimes it's frustrating not knowing the process behind something yourself yet you see a massive group of people in the same boat as if they're right there with a Dev creating, patching, releasing a product. Obviously there are blatant fuck ups that cannot be defended but Jesus the amount some devs are shat on is incredible.

So is the sparrow racing really just running through gates? I was hoping it was going to be similar to the Riddler batmobile challenges in Arkham Knight. Where it's not just a race but a lot of timing and obstacles involved.

Played 3 races so far and I'm pretty bad. 5th, 4th, then 3rd in my first matches in order. Improvement!

It's alright, nothing amazing. I wish I got 6th place on my 1st match which was like a couple of seconds only, because he got a shader.

I had a race start with a BLACK SCREEN. I had to press start and start again to get out of the black screen, so I just left that race. So lame.

Also, shotguns are still stupid.

Deku Tree

Is this the biggest mess they've made in a patch since Destiny launched? The eververse race book glitch, auto rifles remaining unchanged, exotic legs decrypting to nothing, certain armors not appearing in the kiosk, iron banner ghosts show up red for some people, black spindle now 'not' upgraded, People being kicked for inactivity in races.

Seems crazy for a single patch.

It's pretty bad. Seems like they took that live team MT money as 100% profit, and left the same live team from last year with four people on it.

Ghazi

is the shimmer shader rng only?
Yes.
Lol

Man, I wish the majority of gaf were creators instead of consumers. Sometimes it's frustrating not knowing the process behind something yourself yet you see a massive group of people in the same boat as if they're right there with a Dev creating, patching, releasing a product. Obviously there are blatant fuck ups that cannot be accounted for but Jesus the amount some devs are shat on is incredible.

Exactly. Honestly, most people on GAF have no idea what they're talking.

Silence can be just as misleading. They didn't clarify any incorrect articles or assumptions, they just stayed quiet like they always do.

Silence is considered misrepresentation only if they had an intention to mislead and that you acted in reliance on the misrepresentation. However Bungie now has many hoops to jump through before something as big as an entire year of DLC gets confirmed, since they have not spoken about it publicly till last week that would suggest that things were still not final and that Acitivision, who is obviously responsible for all media contact, wouldn't let them discuss it until now.

So is the sparrow racing really just running through gates? I was hoping it was going to be similar to the Riddler batmobile challenges in Arkham Knight. Where it's not just a race but a lot of timing and obstacles involved.

Those exist to an extent.

Shortcuts involves disregarding boost gates, so they're risky to take. The courses have enemies littered around them, and that fucking taken cabal near the end of the Mars race can suck it. He has thrown me off course way too many times.

There are also the mines from House of Wolves that sprinkle the maps and blind you if you drive over them.

stay gold

What the hell happened to the drop rate on 3oC? Im 15 deep here with nothing.

Also Bungie can get fucked if they think they're gonna rake in all this money and not provide dedicated servers. Fucking sick of every crucible match being 50% or more red bars.

Mindlog

I'd probably win more races, but I keep going after the untracked stats.
We really need "Horniest Racer" stat tracking. We'll workshop the name, but I'm mashing on the horn for approximately 80% of the race and that skill is not being recognized by the game.
Finally, going down in level feels bad. Before, it was "hit max level once, do whatever you want." Now, it's a constant juggling act between what do I want to do, what gear can I swap out without taking the biggest hits, etc. And while I feel big and mighty as a 315 Hard Raider, going down to 295 to play Crucible doesn't feel like progression. It feels like a demotion. I'm not saying it is, I'm saying it "feels" like one.
I liked the whole post, but I need to add my own addendum. Basing drops on current light is an issue*. I used to drop down in light all the time for events to use better looking or optimized gear, but the fact that doing so screws my loot drops compounds the problem.
Am I the only one who liked the early year 1 loot system better? I'm obviously not talking about legendary engrams turning into blues... I'm talking about the journey to get my full VoG armor. The FIVE MONTHS, of hardcore playing, to get my Gjallarhorn.
Took me like a week :]
I never even used it in the beginning. Who wants to waste an exotic slot on heavy?

*Possible solution: After completing the Nightfall you get your blue flames head. For the rest of the week your drops will be at minimum based on the LL you completed the Nightfall.

Exactly. Honestly, most people on GAF have no idea what they're talking.

I mean, the first day it was ok. But by the 2nd day the content they put out gets a little stale, numbers start coming in and things like the weapons weren't properly patched, they fix their little book but will take months to fix the weapons like they intended to(The more important part of the patch tbh, sparrow races are a diversion.).

Then you come to the conclusion this is what you're supposed to do for the next 2-3 months. Sparrow races will go away, and then what? I'll eat my hat if they have another patch ready, or maybe they'll delay Iron Banner for when the sparrow races end, to give that 'illusion' of content.

You can accuse us of not knowing what we're saying, but....that's what criticism is. We're criticizing Bungie, are we suddenly allowed not to because we don't know what goes into their patches? That's an asinine accusation to make of Gaffers tbh..

Iceman829

Huh. I never thought about it as cannibalizing each others kills in a match. I can't argue that since assists exist. Perhaps playing with randoms is more futile than I thought. The reason I do it is because it's annoying having to use this thread to find folks who want to do crucible sometimes. I can get trains going every now and then, just not all the time.

Perhaps I should stop obsessing over the scoreboard. I do hate going negative. <1.0 is awful. 1.0-1.99 is okay. 2.0+ is preferred. This is in anything I do related to PvP.

Yea just think if you went in with a party where everyone averages 20 kills a game, it would be impossible for them all to get 20 kills due to the score limit. I jump in and out of this thread, but the one thing that always remains consistent is people use it as LFG for gaf. Don't worry about dropping a post here. Every time I say "Anyone XB1 for IB?" I get zero responses or they find me in game. It's probably tougher now getting crucible groups together with the fall releases and some have burnt out on the loot system. It doesn't hurt to drop a line. You never know who is reading.

I stare at the scoreboard too much in games. I do it a lot in cod. I'll pull the scoreboard up and I get more distracted. All because xXxSup3rSn1p3Z420XxX is killing the team 0-10 2 minutes into the match. In Destiny your kda is more important than your k/d and I end up dying more often playing control in IB trying to lock points down while my randoms emote themselves off a cliff. Obsessing over the scoreboard sucks. It's all I do and I curse the game to hell when I finish first and get zero rewards and watch 310 armor drop to .06 k/d. My IB train is fueled by my rage and somehow people still play with me. I wish I could be like Janice from accounting and give no fucks, but I get too competitive doing anything.

The communication is awful and when it does come its through the mouth/words of Deej

Despite the patch "fixing" stuff its things that should never have happened in the first place and as ever the important stuff is still left untouched. They said back in October we'd hear something "soon" about fixing crucible lag and red bars being removed/banned from games, as ever we've heard and they've done fuck all

For a company trying to build a 10yr game, they're going the wrong way about it as they're treating us like idiots. If theres no DLC/new raids just say so don't fob us off with bags of candy and sparrow racing as it won't wash.

The communication is awful and when it does come its through the mouth/words of Deej

Despite the patch "fixing" stuff its things that should never have happened in the first place and as ever the important stuff is still left untouched. They said back in October we'd hear something "soon" about fixing crucible lag and red bars being removed/banned from games, as ever we've heard and they've done fuck all

For a company trying to build a 10yr game, they're going the wrong way about it as they're treating us like idiots. If theres no DLC/new raids just say so don't fob us off with bags of candy and sparrow racing as it won't wash.

They did say it though, it obviously took some time to get it all confirmed though. It isn't like they are just sitting in their ivory towers actively planning to screw over their community and saying 'lol lets not say anything just for fun'.

post-31569-kevin-sorbo-disappointed-gif-I-cSOz.gif

Ghazi

I mean, the first day it was ok. But by the 2nd day the content they put out gets a little stale, numbers start coming in and things like the weapons weren't properly patched, they fix their little book but will take months to fix the weapons like they intended to(The more important part of the patch tbh, sparrow races are a diversion.).

Then you come to the conclusion this is what you're supposed to do for the next 2-3 months. Sparrow races will go away, and then what? I'll eat my hat if they have another patch ready, or maybe they'll delay Iron Banner for when the sparrow races end, to give that 'illusion' of content.

You can accuse us of not knowing what we're saying, but....that's what criticism is. We're criticizing Bungie, are we suddenly allowed not to because we don't know what goes into their patches? That's an asinine accusation to make of Gaffers tbh..

I'm a gaffer too, I'm included in what I said. It's fine to criticize for the issues that have come up with the update, some of that is amateur hour shit, I've played indie games with better management than Destiny. But people need to realize that whatever is going on behind the scenes for Destiny is just much more complicated than saying "fix thing." The book was probably an easy fix and I'm sure they're working on fixing all the shit that is wrong with yesterday's patch.

lt519

So question here:

If someone dies during Golgoroth CM can the challenge still be completed? Like first pool all 6 of us capture the gaze but in the second pool someone dies from taken thrall is 5 people grabbing the gaze still going to count or do all 6 need to survive the entire encounter?

Still have to do the Golgoroth challenge on my alt.

Anybody?

My group might try and run it tonight, not sure what time, but we'll need a couple capable bodies.

...four people did not do Festival of the Lost, SLR, or the year 2 exotics.

Exactly. And it's not just a bunch of artists either. They have smart designers and coders, obviously. Cripes, Derek Carroll, one of the masterminds of the beloved Trials of Osiris, is on the live team for Year 2. That shows how much Bungie cares about the live experience. We've had more patches in Year 2 than all of Year 1.

The complaint should be that it took microtranscations to get a liveable patch and balance schedule.

But we're here now, and here is good for the most part. We're getting plenty of updates. Bugs and glitches happen. And Bungie has been patching like crazy this year. I wouldn't worry about that kind of thing. Like I've been posting all day. I'm worried about design decisions, not boneheaded obvious glitches that'll be around for a week tops.

Lol

Man, I wish the majority of gaf were creators instead of consumers. Sometimes it's frustrating not knowing the process behind something yourself yet you see a massive group of people in the same boat as if they're right there with a Dev creating, patching, releasing a product. Obviously there are blatant fuck ups that cannot be defended but Jesus the amount some devs are shat on is incredible.

Maybe if the patch actually reflected the patch notes, they wouldn't get shit on.

And it wasn't minor things that were broken. No AR buffs? Engrams decrypting into nothing?

Those are pretty big deals.

I'm a gaffer too, I'm included in what I said. It's fine to criticize for the issues that have come up with the update, some of that is amateur hour shit, I've played indie games with better management than Destiny. But people need to realize that whatever is going on behind the scenes for Destiny is just much more complicated than saying "fix thing." The book was probably an easy fix and I'm sure they're working on fixing all the shit that is wrong with yesterday's patch.

If the past is any indication

It'll take them months.

I'm sure the book is a complicated fix(you have to fix how interactions with the item, which is brand new to destiny therefore required different coding then the tried and true weapon balancing), compared to the weapon balancing.

The hard part about weapon balancing is knowing how to balance it. The easy part is changing the numbers.

So question here:

If someone dies during Golgoroth CM can the challenge still be completed? Like first pool all 6 of us capture the gaze but in the second pool someone dies from taken thrall is 5 people grabbing the gaze still going to count or do all 6 need to survive the entire encounter?

I'm guessing not, in one group we did it as normal and I died to taken thralls during taken DPS phase and the challenge didn't complete so we had to run it again.

Edit: I didn't grab the gaze that phase and we didn't have the DPS to finish him off, that's why we failed.

Strider

go play diablo 3 then.. fuck

Hate posts like this.

It's a forum to discuss the game. There is nothing wrong with making suggestions and using another game as an example of what we'd like to see...

Just accepting games for what they are and not providing feedback is not how games improve.

give cool shader as rng

give trash shader as part of fulfilling guidelines for a 10 dollar quest book that could be accessed for free

BUNGLE

I'd rather the coolest stuff be obtainable for everyone by playing tbh. Even if it's RNG that's better than locking all the coolest stuff behind a paywall to me.

So question here:

My group might try and run it tonight, not sure what time, but we'll need a couple capable bodies.

Yeah you can die as long as you have grabbed for that phase, otherwise the gaze won't be grabbed six times and when the phase ends the challenge will fail. However if you die after you have had the gaze then it's fine your team just has to kill it on the next phase before the final person looses gaze, otherwise it fails.

What the hell happened to the drop rate on 3oC? Im 15 deep here with nothing.

Also Bungie can get fucked if they think they're gonna rake in all this money and not provide dedicated servers. Fucking sick of every crucible match being 50% or more red bars.

Was awarded with two 310 exotics (one of which was Dragon's Breath) using 3oC last night in five sparrow races.

funny thing is the one thing that might end up forcing me into a break with destiny is motes of light lol

i'm dead ass out of em--never thought it would happen, but I aint about to grind for more

As consumers, our interest should be in asserting our side in the Destiny transaction. In this case, that means getting the product we paid for working properly. The more often and loudly we complain, the more pressure is put on the company to fix their shit. If someone works at Bungie it's reasonable for them to say "give Bungie a break." Otherwise, it's nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom