• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT37| Everything Old is New Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

lt519

Yeah you can die as long as you have grabbed for that phase, otherwise the gaze won't be grabbed six times and when the phase ends the challenge will fail. However if you die after you have had the gaze then it's fine your team just has to kill it on the next phase before the final person looses gaze, otherwise it fails.

That makes sense like if I die in the pool to the thrall but they still finish him off on that gaze. This also implies that everyone has to grab the gaze, and can't just be two people passing it back and forth?

Strider

i hate posts that are constant whining and complaining by the same people every single day

If it's the same people over and over that bother you I suggest using the ignore function rather than complaining about complaining

And yea the "Bungie is Trash" line is way overused but I didnt see that in any of the posts about D3 and Destiny comparisons...

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Maybe if the patch actually reflected the patch notes, they wouldn't get shit on.

And it wasn't minor things that were broken. No AR buffs? Engrams decrypting into nothing?

Those are pretty big deals.

If the past is any indication

It'll take them months.

I'm sure the book is a complicated fix(you have to fix how interactions with the item, which is brand new to destiny therefore required different coding then the tried and true weapon balancing), compared to the weapon balancing.

The hard part about weapon balancing is knowing how to balance it. The easy part is changing the numbers.
Again, you're making baseless assumptions if you know nothing about coding, their engine, their design/patching procedure, etc. look I'm not saying these are unimportant problems and that you can't criticize any game company. I'm saying it's frustrating when you see comments about how easy or difficult something is and the your expected timeframe to fix it when you have no idea how aspects are even working with the game's technology.

It's like after a year we have people still complaining about patches causing bugs in a game that is literally on all the time. We have had an abundance of patches and fixes since the taken King was released. I just feel like y'all want perfection in a game that's always changing with the wind blow.

And then you have shit posts like this in the OT and in gaming:

Exclusive footage of the testing:

cAJtk.gif

" Hm. Looks good. Ready for release."

If it's the same people over and over that bother you I suggest using the ignore function then rather than complaining about complaining

good advice, thanks!

And yea the "Bungie is Trash" line is way overused but I didnt see that in any of the posts about D3 and Destiny comparisons...

Originally Posted by BreezyLimbo

I'm glad Bungie is taking the time to patch their overpriced book, but will leave the auto rifle bug and all the other bugs they introduced this patch untouched for months.

Fucking bungie. They're trash sometimes.

why i posted that just ftr.. hardly an outlier

That makes sense like if I die in the pool to the thrall but they still finish him off on that gaze. This also implies that everyone has to grab the gaze, and can't just be two people passing it back and forth?

Oh yeah, everyone has to grab the gaze at some point in each phase. It's still easier to do the one orb strat, and once the first persons counter is running out a second grabs it, then everyone gets out of the middle and you then just trade gaze between the remaining people.

My hopes were threw the roof when Kotaku said that the D3 team came & talked to Bungie about loot.

The trouble is that Destiny is a fundamentally different end game with different activities, each with their own loot tables, and different itemization priorities and levels.

For example, there's no max item level or attack value in Diablo. Items roll with ranges on perks.

Destiny ties everything to gear score, drops items of varying ilvl, has a tier of items above legendary, has weekly loot lockouts and every perk is binary. Additionally, all of Destiny is balanced around PvP, a huge complication.

Destiny's light system, the gear score, gives a sense of an end state, especially in Year 2 when it's impossible to get there. How many people will quit when they hit 320 or quit because they feel like "the goal" is 320 and never get there. The true end game should be finding gear you love and building a set to make it awesome. Think about your raid gear. Touch of Malice, Hung Jury, Spindle, 1kYS, for everyone here. How boring.

That idea of an fixed end state doesn't exist in Diablo. The D3 end game centers on building sets, then improving each set item. Diablo loot doesn't have to be balanced and their whole ethos is making the player feel awesome and abilities feel powerful. Some builds and sets will always be strongest, but you can progress without always doing the hardest thing there is. I can progress doing Normal rifts or Bounties just as much as pushing the highest Greater rift I can. Normal rifts give me Death's Breath for rerolling or cubing. Adventure mode gives me keys for ubers, DBs & cube mats. Greater rifts give me tons of blood shards for Kadala.

This is crucial, I can feel like I'm progressing no matter what I do. As opposed to Destiny which puts that light number on every screen and makes that the biggest number on every piece of gear. And then to make decisions that make something fun, that number will go down? How does that make sense?

*Sigh* If so many feel like this, why does Bungie ignore us all.

Again, you're making baseless assumptions if you know nothing about coding, their engine, their design/patching procedure, etc. look I'm not saying these are unimportant problems and that you can't criticize any game company. I'm saying it's frustrating when you see comments about how easy or difficult something is and the your expected timeframe to fix it when you have no idea how aspects are even working with the game's technology.

It's like after a year we have people still complaining about patches causing bugs in a game that is literally on all the time. We have had an abundance of patches and fixes since the taken King was released. I just feel like y'all want perfection in a game that's always changing with the wind blow.

Yes, I know coding is hard. But that doesn't mean I can't criticize Bungie for saying 'Hey we're balancing this and that' and when the patch comes out, that doesn't happen. That is not coding being hard. That is incompetence. I'm sure they had the fix working,but they either didn't release it or it didn't work despite them saying otherwise, that is incompetence. And I don't see them working on a hotfix to fix that balancing misstep like they did their SRL MT.

Like another person mentioned, they nerfed the Mythoclast by 50%, when they said it would be closer to 34%, and just never talked about it again like everything was ok. That isn't 'coding is hard', that is incompetence.

Thank you! Remember earlier this year when Bungie broke Valus drops? And they fixed it the next week? Apparently not.

We had a patch every week for the first 5 weeks of TTK. This is soooo much better than Year 1.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Thank you! Remember earlier this year when Bungie broke Valus drops? And they fixed it the next week? Apparently not.

We had a patch every week for the first 5 weeks of TTK. This is soooo much better than Year 1.
Everything in this game is just the flip of a switch, bungie just has to find the switch.

*Sigh* If so many feel like this, why does Bungie ignore us all.

They're doing what every company has done since the start of time when they believe they've got a dominant position. Take the piss out of there customers as they think whatever they throw at us we'll swallow

Edit Auto Rifle buff is in https://twitter.com/sharkeatsman/status/674704401785708544 :D I said earlier nothing feels overtly different, we'll see what the numbers say

oh please

there's no doubt bungie will respond--and the wash of complaints they get serves as strong impetus behind making that happen

criticism is necessary, and it's not always going to nor does it need to be done via a kind essay--there's been plenty of constructive discussion in this thread

They're doing what every company has done since the start of time when they believe they've got a dominant position. Take the piss out of there customers as they think whatever they throw at us we'll swallow

Edit Auto Rifle buff is in https://twitter.com/sharkeatsman/status/674704401785708544 :D I said earlier nothing feels overtly different, we'll see what the numbers say

Good.

Glad to see I was wrong on them taking time to really patch auto rifles.

lt519

Oh yeah, everyone has to grab the gaze at some point in each phase. It's still easier to do the one orb strat, and once the first persons counter is running out a second grabs it, then everyone gets out of the middle and you then just trade gaze between the remaining people.

Yeah seems disappointingly simple, just wanted to make sure I knew the "rules" before we jumped into it. Probably take us 1-2 tries max. We'll need 2 people, probably around 9:30 PM est if anyone is looking to do the challenge around then.

Any of you guys doing it right now mind holding a checkpoint for me with an alt? I'll be home in 45 minutes ish.

So question here:

If someone dies during Golgoroth CM can the challenge still be completed? Like first pool all 6 of us capture the gaze but in the second pool someone dies from taken thrall is 5 people grabbing the gaze still going to count or do all 6 need to survive the entire encounter?

Even in the first cycle, if someone dies AFTER completing the gaze timer, it won't lock you out of the challenge.

Given that you're able to kill Golgoroth in the next cycle before the last (5th) person loses the gaze.

Normally you should be able to kill Golgoroth in the 2nd orb of the 2nd cycle, if not earlier.

Trakan

Silence is considered misrepresentation only if they had an intention to mislead and that you acted in reliance on the misrepresentation. However Bungie now has many hoops to jump through before something as big as an entire year of DLC gets confirmed, since they have not spoken about it publicly till last week that would suggest that things were still not final and that Acitivision, who is obviously responsible for all media contact, wouldn't let them discuss it until now.

Sorry, I don't believe that. It doesn't hurt anything for Bungie to release an article on their own site saying "There's been a lot of rumors and speculation lately. Don't believe anything unless you hear it from us."

Then again, I'd have to believe they were actually telling the truth, but eh.

flkraven

this is what his tweet says

Tested and confirmed that the 2.1.0 Auto Rifle changes are indeed active in Destiny. We'll talk soon!

God knows how its active as i'm seeing the same damage numbers

What the heck does it mean that it was buffed as intended, if everyone and their mother has reported zero change to damage. Maybe PvE only?

Maybe your post is directed at someone else- but you quoted me so... I didn't make any assumptions about timelines, their development process, etc. I never said how hard or easy something ease.

I did what every customer did. I read the patch notes. The patch didn't contain listed items and/or broke other things. Regardless of what actually happened behind the scenes, it makes them look bad as a whole. That's what happens when someone fucks up with the company name fronting them.

I'm not demanding perfection. I just want them to release a patch that actually contains... you know... what they said it would contain. Without breaking things.

Kyne

My hopes were threw the roof when Kotaku said that the D3 team came & talked to Bungie about loot.

The trouble is that Destiny is a fundamentally different end game with different activities, each with their own loot tables, and different itemization priorities and levels.

For example, there's no max item level or attack value in Diablo. Items roll with ranges on perks.

Destiny ties everything to gear score, drops items of varying ilvl, has a tier of items above legendary, has weekly loot lockouts and every perk is binary. Additionally, all of Destiny is balanced around PvP, a huge complication.

Destiny's light system, the gear score, gives a sense of an end state, especially in Year 2 when it's impossible to get there. How many people will quit when they hit 320 or quit because they feel like "the goal" is 320 and never get there. The true end game should be finding gear you love and building a set to make it awesome. Think about your raid gear. Touch of Malice, Hung Jury, Spindle, 1kYS, for everyone here. How boring.

That idea of an fixed end state doesn't exist in Diablo. The D3 end game centers on building sets, then improving each set item. Diablo loot doesn't have to be balanced and their whole ethos is making the player feel awesome and abilities feel powerful. Some builds and sets will always be strongest, but you can progress without always doing the hardest thing there is. I can progress doing Normal rifts or Bounties just as much as pushing the highest Greater rift I can. Normal rifts give me Death's Breath for rerolling or cubing. Adventure mode gives me keys for ubers, DBs & cube mats. Greater rifts give me tons of blood shards for Kadala.

This is crucial, I can feel like I'm progressing no matter what I do. As opposed to Destiny which puts that light number on every screen and makes that the biggest number on every piece of gear. And then to make decisions that make something fun, that number will go down? How does that make sense?

This was my biggest problem with Destiny. Time-gated events and quests had made me feel compelled to log on and invest time into game; time that I didn't really have that day or evening. Destiny basically began dictating what I would do and when I would do it.

That's not okay.

Bungie's promise to make this game more schedule friendly was complete bullshit. They made it worse, if anything.

Needless to say I have quit Destiny. The sparrow stuff looks cool, but it's just another timed event. I had a lot of fun with DGAF. Stay strong peeps.

Tested and confirmed that the 2.1.0 Auto Rifle changes are indeed active in Destiny. We'll talk soon!

If their buff is working as intended, maybe they should have elaborated more than: Hey guys, these guns are getting a 9% damage increase!

I'm curious to see, when they talk soon, what is working as intended!

This is why we need more numbers on our equipment and not uninformative progress bars that change meaning every 3-5 months.

This was my biggest problem with Destiny. Time-gated events and quests had made me feel compelled to log on and invest time into game; time that I didn't really have that day or evening. Destiny basically began dictating what I would do and when I would do it.

That's not okay.

Bungie's promise to make this game more schedule friendly was complete bullshit. They made it worse, if anything.

Needless to say I have quit Destiny. The sparrow stuff looks cool, but it's just another timed event. I had a lot of fun with DGAF. Stay strong peeps.

To be fair, they wanted to make an MMO shooter. They took some of the MMO-esque features (weekly raid resets, loot drops, etc) and incorporated them into the game.

I have no problem with that.

Yep. This is me 2 hours ago:

Working as intended.

I'm not even joking.

This same thing happened last year with Mythoclast. Bungie said they'd nerf it 34% and it was nerfed 50%. They never fixed it, much less acknowledged it.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom