• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Reveal Thread

Sojgat

Xbox Infinity?

yAE7icI.jpg

tumblr_mdnl8eRfb91rrxhj7.gif

Edit: Yeah, I can't find this in the Vidoc. WTF guy?

Dipswitch

Eh, I'm cautiously optimistic. But I still have no idea how the game is going to play and whether a single player experience is even viable. I like the idea of being able to play with friends, but I've found that online co-op makes it very hard to enjoy the narrative experience in these games. Mainly because people are always nattering away when story elements are being exposed.

So I'm firmly in the "I'll wait and see" camp for now. I've been a big fan of the Halo games though, so I trust that they're going to craft a compelling title for all players.

One is sure. Amazon ratings will be very bad. Amazon reviewers hate strict DRM and always online stuff. See Diablo 3 and other DRM heavy games.
I like the design but i want to see more of the game. All sounds really ambitious though.
Hope bungie doesn't land on his nose with this but Activision is going to put alot of cash behind the marketing. Some 9.6 reviews are surely already written.

I'm going to go through all the info later, but isn't this an online-centric game? I don't want Bungie to waste time by adding in a pointless offline mode just so loud voices on the internet don't post loads of fake reviews. If they're making an online focused title, then let's make sure that they focus on that.

If people have weird hang ups about a game being online based then they can simply ignore it and go and purchase a different game.

Even in this very thread we have people saying "nope, not buying" because of the internet connection. Like, how does this make sense to say that at this early stage where we admittedly know nothing about the game other than basics?

MooseKing

Banned
the footage we saw had better be current gen...

I was trying to explain to my friend why the game simply can't look good on 360 or PS3 and do the things they wanted.

I explained it like this.

If you tasked me to build you a computer as good as the Xbox 360. I would not be able to. Why? because garbage hardware like that has not been for sale, for years.

I would probably have to search through garage sales and ebay to find super old hardware and hope it all works.

Z_Y_W_Y

Banned

Too Halo-ish for my taste :/ I can live with laser and plasma guns (as much as I hate them), but it's just way too colorful, as a game which takes place on totally ruined Earth with only one human city left you'd imagine something more like Killzone.

If it's not coming this year, then it's essentially first or 2nd quarter next year for consoles we'll have most likely moved on from that by all accounts dont have backwards compatibility. Hopefully they were just holding back the next gen footage. Ehhhhhhhhhhh. I don't really want a year's worth of these Vidocs. I get a lot of people love them, though. I was hyped because I hoped it would be a reveal today of a game we'll be playing within about 6 months. Sorry Bungie, you're off my radar for now. Not sure what they were hoping to gain with that today.

OryoN

Got all excited for nothing.

This could end up being a great game, but let's be honest, that was such a lame reveal.

Next!

*marks Feb 20th on calendar*

orznge

Banned
Too Halo-ish for my taste :/ I can live with laser and plasma guns (as much as I hate them), but it's just way too colorful, as a game which takes place on totally ruined Earth with only one human city left you'd imagine something more like Killzone.

that's colorful? lol

Thank fuck that it's not more like Killzone. If I'm going to play a MMOFPS, it damn well better be colourful.

no you wouldn't. I'd imagine something like how chernobyl looks today. There's a bunch of overgrown structures and life everywhere, not dust and barrens.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I liked it, good premise and some nice art. I could deal without the Bungie guys being so amazingly full of themselves though, that was super annoying.

StuBurns

Banned
Just been watching the GiantBomb stream, it sounds pretty amazing, I can't wait to hear more. Sounds like they're trying something legitimately progressive, for a console at least.

Right, because that color palette hasn't been overused to death by now.

What about that looks like Halo? And being colorful is important for gameplay purposes, as it makes it easier for players to identify important objectives and enemies.

I do agree with you here.

This is not gritty enough and I dont like the look of it. To haloish.

nickp

Neo Member
The cynicism is strong with this thread.

I think the game looks and sounds promising. I wasn't a Halo fan, but I'm interested in seeing where this goes. The setting is very cool. I already want to learn more about the Traveler and its part in the big picture. As far as "underwhelming graphics" go, you guys need to keep two things in mind:

1. The footage was likely from the current-gen WIP since next-gen hardware hasn't been revealed to the public.
2. Persistent online games -- particularly MMORPGs -- often have a lower visual budget due to the importance of networking and latency considerations, which take much higher priority because the game relies completely on an internet connection. Even the newest persistent online games don't hold a candle to the newest offline game of most any other genre in terms of visual fidelity. The important thing to keep in mind is that this does not mean the game can't be aesthetically pleasing. I mean, did you see how the distant scenery looked like concept art? Brilliant art direction, if you ask me.

EVIL

Nature bro, it has colour, deal with it.

Top Bottom