• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Reveal Thread

Man Jeff on Giantbomb seems very frustrated that they didn't get to really see it.

Mentions how he talked to staffers outside of the builing who even were confused they didn't see it in action

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
The City = Hub, Get together, the social aspect
Chapter '#" = Single Player
Bounty = Challenges (Weekly)
Strike = Competitive MP, Random Hopper = Jump from Mode to Mode
Raid = Co-Op potion, looks like anyone can join
Faction Wars = Competitive + Co-Op scenario, just like Strike, but you will be tied to your allegiance, and winners get the bounty, give strength/rewards to their Faction (Think MAG pr FFXI in Signet format), Random hopper = Jump from Mode to Mode

Looks like 6 People = Team

So Destiny is a fucking Red Mage, Trade of All Jacks, Not the best in one category over another, yet not worst in category than another

Take note Sony this is not how you reveal a game. Either do an amazing CG trailer for a KNOWN franchise to expect or the better option: shows us some good 'ol lengthy gameplay.

"Always Online DRM" is different than "Always Online Persistent World". One is for paranoid security, the other is how the fucking game works. Jesus.

It looks okay. I haven't seen anything offputting yet. Which is because I haven't seen any gameplay yet.

I'll reserve my offputtingness for when I see some gameplay of it being another shooter.

I hope it plays well though. I want there to be a good game near launch for next gen consoles.

Disappointing as hell can't believe people hyped this up to besting the playstation meeting this Wednesday. Hardly a reveal and the footage looked underwhelming even for current gen. Planetside 2 looks 10x better and has way bigger environments and more players.

Try again Bungie, and maybe show more than 5 sec of underwhelming poor visual gameplay.

That game sounds awesome. How do I play it on my PS3 or xbox 360?

Love how clean the game looks.

I'm tired of playing games where you have to strain your eyes to see past all the dof/blur/lensflares and other garbage. I'm hoping for large enviroments for this game too.

Also hoping the game is nothing like PS2, the game is a laggy ugly mess.

Wow, all you guys fucking care about is graphics and if it's next gen or not. Who gives a shit? Last time I checked we had some amazing games this gen, many with graphics way worse than this. First of all, it's still in alpha, everything is WIP. Second, why does everyone keep putting so much importance on graphics from a technical stand point? The actual art looks damn incredible, puts other games to shame, and we don't even know what the gameplay will be like yet. Lets wait and hear about how it actually plays before you decide to shit all over it?

First few pages of impressions.

"Aww not next gen? It's shit."
"Eww graphics look like 2005, garbage game. What a dissapointment."

Damn no wonder the industry hates NeoGAF.

I can not wait to hear more about this game.

DJ88
Banned
(Today, 12:41 PM)

Let that be the end of it, please

Just asked Geoff this:

3iKlpAI.png

So when what is Gerstmann (?) talking about since he said he saw stuff that wasn't possible on current consoles? The game certainly looks nice, but that's certainly in the PS3 and 360's ballpark.

Disappointing as hell can't believe people hyped this up to besting the playstation meeting this Wednesday. Hardly a reveal and the footage looked underwhelming even for current gen. Planetside 2 looks 10x better and has way bigger environments and more players.

Try again Bungie, and maybe show more than 5 sec of underwhelming poor visual gameplay.

Oh they'll try again and again. This is just the first of many ViDocs.

As for the timing of this reveal, perhaps they were forced to do it because they are in fact going to be part of the PS4 reveal. Might as well get the "What are we" questions out of the way before they show the actual game on Wednesday. Fingers crossed.

Godslay

Banned
There's nothing wrong with it. It get a steady 30mbps. There are just very infrequent instances where it might cut off for a few minutes or something. This is normal anywhere. So I don't want to risk that with this always online bullshit.

Ridiculous :(

So you are afraid of an infrequent drop? LOL!

The fear of losing some game time is the price you pay for the ability to play with other players from around the world. I used to play Starcraft with a 56k modem, and sometimes would have hours into an online match and the connection would drop. It sucks, but it didn't prevent me from enjoying the game. Connections are much more reliable nowadays. Seems like a weak argument to miss out on any game really.

Wow, all you guys fucking care about is graphics and if it's next gen or not. Who gives a shit? Last time I checked we had some amazing games this gen, many with graphics way worse than this. First of all, it's still in alpha, everything is WIP. Second, why does everyone keep putting so much importance on graphics from a technical stand point? The actual art looks damn incredible, puts other games to shame, and we don't even know what the gameplay will be like yet. Lets wait and hear about how it actually plays before you decide to shit all over it?

First few pages of impressions.

"Aww not next gen? It's shit."
"Eww graphics look like 2005, garbage game. What a dissapointment."

Damn no wonder the industry hates NeoGAF.

I can not wait to hear more about this game.

+1

StuBurns

Banned

Planetside 2 is just a very big competitive skirmish game with dynamic objectives. This is Guild Wars, as a shooter. It's a much more substantial undertaking.

Amir0x

Banned
Let that be the end of it, please

Seriously. It's just a completely nonsensical defense of anything. Of course visuals are going to be important to people... you're staring at them for the entire length of the game! Some people have different bars for what they'll accept, but most people do indeed have some standard for which they recognize that graphics are an important part of the gaming package.

And particularly in a reveal when we have almost nothing to talk about except some sparse details AND the visuals, it even makes less sense. We're not playing the game yet, so of course the discussion of visuals becomes even MORE dominant then!

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
This is an mmo that will have things occurring over a 10 year period? Next gen options are inevitable then....

Wonder if current gen and next gen will be playing in the same worlds then...or maybe you just bring your saves from one place to another.

soldat7

It's a small taste, a tiny taste of a game that could be more than a year away from store shelves.

Instro

Seriously. It's just a completely nonsensical defense of anything. Of course visuals are going to be important to people... you're staring at them for the entire length of the game! Some people have different bars for what they'll accept, but most people do indeed have some standard for which they recognize that graphics are an important part of the gaming package.

And particularly in a reveal when we have almost nothing to talk about except some sparse details AND the visuals, it even makes less sense. We're not playing the game yet, so of course the discussion of visuals becomes even MORE dominant then!

Clearly we just need to talk about how Bungie is the best ever and will deliver on every vague promise.

Too soon for me to invest any real interest. Wish they had shown more game footage. But I guess it makes sense since this game will probably have one of biggest marketing efforts that we have seen period.

I know it's beautiful up here in Seattle and all, but wouldn't you be kinda pissed if Bungie had you fly up here and didn't actually show you the game? Hopefully they all at least got a nice meal.

right, and some people want visual diarrhea, i dont, and I hope that if anything, they make the game as clean looking as possible. Drop the lensflares and light shafts imo, if I'm playing this game for 40 hours I dont want to be straining to see where/who my enemy is for 38 of those hours, like i did in halo 4.

JimiNutz

Banned
Maybe I'm easy to please but this showed me just enough for me to still be very excited.

Art looks great. Much better than their work on Halo - still colorful yet also a little more mature and serious.

The very small sections of gameplay also looked promising, especially considering that the footage was early, probably on current gen hardware, and given how large the game is in scale.

The only thing that I'm a little dubious on is the always online stuff, but so long as I can play online by myself if I chose then I'm ok with it.

Would like to see some actual gameplay - like weapons being fired at enemies etc. but there is still plenty time for that anyway.

Take note Sony this is not how you reveal a game. Either do an amazing CG trailer for a KNOWN franchise to expect or the better option: shows us some good 'ol lengthy gameplay.

Sony's problem isn't revealing new games, it's giving a shit (and in turn making consumers give a shit) after the reveal.

Soi-Fong

Planetside 2 is just a very big competitive skirmish game with dynamic objectives. This is Guild Wars, as a shooter. It's a much more substantial undertaking.

That goes to show how much you know. How about you actually look up the 10 year plan for Planetside 2. They're going way beyond just skirmish matches.

Bungie clearly wasn't ready for a reveal.

FStop7

Banned

I guess I don't understand how there's such a big distinction between the two. Especially given the stuff that's coming for Planetside 2.

So you are afraid of an infrequent drop? LOL!

The fear of losing some game time is the price you pay for the ability to play with other players from around the world. I used to play Starcraft with a 56k modem, and sometimes would have hours into an online match and the connection would drop. It sucks, but it didn't prevent me from enjoying the game. Connections are much more reliable nowadays. Seems like a weak argument to miss out on any game really.

I will most likely still get the game, but I'm still pretty ticked at the notion. I'm a little wary about where they're going with the game though. I was hoping for a deep, story driven game with a side multiplayer with MMOish features. It seems like the whole game is centered around interacting with other players, though I hope I'm wrong.

Top Bottom