• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Rise of Iron Review Thread

ethomaz

Banned
pl8wOCw.jpg

Metacritic 73
OpenCritic 72

Game Informer 8.5/10
While it doesn’t offer the same breadth and reimagining of core systems found in The Taken King, Bungie’s latest release has a sentimental tone that is refreshing. This adventure through forgotten legends stands strong on its own, and continues an unbroken string of content drops that have each made Destiny a richer universe.

GamesRadar+ 4/5
A great expansion but straining within the game's current framework.
And that’s Rise of Iron all over, really. It might not offer the huge, nuts-and-bolts content-dump that The Taken King did, but this is an expansion built in layers rather than breadth. It delivers enough new places to see and things to do, of such a high quality – and do not forget, this is me speaking before the Raid – to give Destiny’s overall ecosystem a worthy shake-up, but the various resonant means it offers to change the experience have even greater potential. If you’re a long-standing Destiny player, it’s almost certain to refresh and revitalise your daily visits. And if you’re a curious newbie, there has (once again) never been a better time to jump in.

Trusted Review 4/5
Love Destiny? Rise of Iron gives you more to love, with a strong, if short, campaign, new quest lines, challenges and gear to collect, a great new Strike, two entertaining remixes and a brand new Raid. The Plaguelands is a large and intriguing new region to explore, and the new crucible maps and modes mean there’s something for more competitive Guardians to chew on...If you’re being picky, you’ll note that there’s nothing that fresh or innovative on offer, and that Bungie has its work cut out if it wants to stop Destiny going stale. For now, though, Rise of Iron hits all the right notes for the Destiny hardcore and is another great addition to the game.

Digital Spy 4/5
It's not quite Destiny's best expansion – The Taken King is hard to top – but Rise of Iron does an excellent job of giving the game's fans more of the content they love to get stuck into. The campaign is short but very sweet and leads to another sprawling series of challenges and quest lines that should keep you fighting, exploring and collecting for a few months yet.

Cheat Code Central 3.9/5
This expansion is simply more Destiny, love it or hate it. Unlike the revolution that was The Taken King, this is a mere evolution that shows that Bungie is finally comfortable with this strange new online shooter format. If you're a huge fan, it's good. There's new gear. You'll like it. Enjoy. Everybody else is waiting to see what happens with Destiny 2, because that's going to be the real test for Bungie moving forward.

Destructoid 7/10
I need more time with PVP, the Nightfalls, and the Wrath of the Machine raid (which is dropping this Friday) before I can offer a full verdict, but so far Destiny: Rise of Iron feels hefty enough to warrant the upgrade if you're still blasting Fallen and Hive alike. If you've sworn off, you probably don't need to come back.

Gamespot 6/10
As an expansion that revamped how Destiny actually played, last year’s The Taken King was a major step forward for the shooter. But Rise of Iron feels merely like the other foot catching up to rest firmly in place. It feels timid. It feels safe. It feels like the last remaining breath before the possible sequel, as if Destiny is standing still and waiting for inspiration to arrive, rather than going out to find it.

PlayStationLifeStyle (Score to be posted next week)
Rise of Iron seems to hold an indelible bit of content on initial playthrough, and I’m excited to see how it holds up under pressure of full release and repeated scrutiny.

GamingAge (In Progress)
When all is said and done, I can't help but still love Destiny: Rise of Iron. The story is much better than the previous expansions, with the exception of The Taken King. It's an epic tale that really does reveal some history that's entertaining and the missions are still fun to play. The nostalgia does kick in a bit by revisiting the first two Strikes and I think longtime players will really appreciate that aspect. This expansion won't change anybody's mind on Destiny. It's more of the same great gameplay, complete with new weapons, armor, and items to discover and collect. If you enjoyed prior installments, this one should please you as well. There's enough new content stuffed into this expansion to warrant a purchase, especially if you play both PvE and PvP. Even for a player like myself, who tends to only play the co-op stuff, the adventure is well worth experiencing. With a new Record Book detailing new quests and how to obtain specific items, I anticipate playing Destiny for a very long time to come.

kiguel182

This expansion feels a little small for 30 euros, I'm curious how the reviews will pan out. At this point I'm more likely to jump back in with Destiny 2, especially since I'm not the type of person that plays with a group or raids every week.

This expansion feels a little small for 30 euros, I'm curious how the reviews will pan out. At this point I'm more likely to jump back in with Destiny 2, especially since I'm not the type of person that plays with a group or raids every week.

Exactly. I'll be back for Destiny 2: Complete Edition. See ya in 5 years, DGAF!

ethomaz

Banned
I think the Raid will tell if it is small for $30...
I'm hoping to the Raid be like VoG.

Edit - This creates a good question... these early reviews are most without the new Raid.

Yeah, this is pretty much how I feel, too.

molnizzle

Really light expansion for $30, but that's what I was expecting. For the amount of playtime I'll get out of it $30 is a bargain.

This is premature until the raid comes out.

That said, I agree with the blurb from GamesRadar in the OP that Rise of Iron brings structures in place that will greatly benefit the future of Destiny. Something, IMO, that really started with the April update and the changes to infusion that came with it.

Looking forward to the Halloween event.

Reading a lot of positive impressions of the campaign missions today. Many saying some are the best in whole game (expansions included).

Caayn

Mmhhh, I'll probably hold out on the expansion for now. I don't play the raid anyway, so a lower amount of content will have a larger impact on me than people who do play raids.

SkylineRKR

One part of me wants to play this, another part doesn't. TTK was fine but I was done after a month or so and getting ToM.

Haven't played the game ever since. If this is even smaller, i'll probably discard it after 2 weeks. i never enjoyed PvP during TTK days. I was a decent PvP player during Y1, always maxing IB rank, but they fucked too much. I feel Destiny is constrained too much, most content is going through old areas or reskins. They can't really expand their game as I would like to see.

I just want Destiny 2 really bad. Built for the new consoles from scratch, better integration of new areas and a more epic feel. Missions that don't kick you back to a level select etc. An engine that makes it easy to add new scenes.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Usually map packs go for $15. CoD games have been releasing 4 maps for $15 every few months.

Destiny cant just release map packs. They have the following additional items for PvE content:

- New Campaign
- 2 Strikes
- New Raid (4-6 hours on the first run) (2 hours after a few weeks)
- New Weapons
- New Armor
- New Exotic Quests
- Reworked Year 1 strikes.

CoD games dont even come with weapons anymore. You ahve to hope the damn loot boxes drop them. Destiny gives you all that extra content for another $15.

TTK was a much better deal, but this is fine.

Symbiotx

It's fair. Reviews should always reflect the launch state.

But you wouldn't be able to get through the raid at launch. Just because it's not there for 3 days doesn't mean it's not part of the game. You have to get through all the other content and hit equipment maxes before you can even get into the raid. Seems like it's just as fair to expect a reviewer to wait a few days to judge it after experiencing one of the biggest parts of the DLC.

Nephtes

I see that AGES after I stopped playing they FINALLY added a section in game that lists your online clan members...

Only 2ish years too late...(not sure when exactly that was added... Certainly some time after the Taken King went live because it wasn't there when Taken King launched)

Usually map packs go for $15. CoD games have been releasing 4 maps for $15 every few months.

Destiny cant just release map packs. They have the following additional items for PvE content:

- New Campaign
- 2 Strikes
- New Weapons
- New Armor
- New Exotic Quests

CoD games dont even come with weapons anymore. You ahve to hope the damn loot boxes drop them. Destiny gives you all that extra content for another $15.

It only has one strike and who said cod map packs were a good deal?

kjacobson

Neo Member
Honestly I think the raid is a big part of what makes this game. Anyone can say that only 10% of people will ever see it, but I personally don't think it's fair to encompass a review without it.

Or have two reviews, one of the game without the raid, and a review of the raid.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
But you wouldn't be able to get through the raid at launch. Just because it's not there for 3 days doesn't mean it's not part of the game. You have to get through all the other content and hit equipment maxes before you can even get into the raid. Seems like it's just as fair to expect a reviewer to wait a few days to judge it after experiencing one of the biggest parts of the DLC.

Seems strange to post a review before the raid.

looking at the PSN trophies. only about 15% of the people complete a raid. its fair to review this for the 85% of folks who will never get to experience the raid anyway.

It only has one strike and who said cod map packs were a good deal?

I thought PS owners got an exclusive strike.

And I am talking about the standard for DLC content on consoles. Multiplayer map packs cost $15. You are getting 4 maps plus all that content i mentioned above. Look at how much battlefield charged for its expansion packs.

kiguel182

- New Campaign
- 2 Strikes
- New Weapons
- New Armor
- New Exotic Quests

I don't buy map packs. They are ridiculously expensive.

I'd argue that every expansion they released has been too pricey for what's in it. I'm not shocked

I felt so burned by taken king after the first week that I'm debating whether I want to try this or not...Maybe I'll wait until a sale and just play the story missions and a little crucible

Reading a lot of positive impressions of the campaign missions today. Many saying some are the best in whole game (expansions included).

Wish they were adding More than one strike though. That is the main reason for why I skipped this.

The Taken King too? Ok.

I will reserve judgement on this one until I've played through the raid.

Destiny and value has always been tricky. When the game launched people felt like it didn't have enough content for the price. Considering TTk had a relatively small new area (not a true planet) and was 2/3 the price of the launch game, then I can understand if people felt like it was too expensive.

I understand the reasons people wouldn't want a review before the raid, but as someone who has never played a raid, and never will unless they add match-making, this is the only content I'll ever see. It's relevant to me.

Hearing that it's only one strike pretty much completely puts me off. Does this also create a bunch of story missions? It must, right?

kiguel182

I'd argue that every expansion they released has been too pricey for what's in it. I'm not shocked

I felt that about the first expansions but TTK totally delivered on content. On all fronts really. As a mostly solo player I spent a lot of time with it and the three times I raided with GAF were some of the best moments I had in multiplayer gaming.

But, right now and with limited funds, this expansion just doesn't offer the same value proposition and I rather save those 30 euros for a full game down the road.

WaterAstro

Then that's the fault of Bungie. It's the same as World of Warcraft.

Time gating raid content that is already ready is shitty. There's no reason for it. It doesn't matter if it takes 3 days to "gear up for it". Just make it available.

That said, they can just make an article about the raid afterwards, but it shouldn't reflect the review. It's like a patch that fixes up everything a week after a game launch, it should not change a 1/10 review score if it's that broken without the patch.

zeelman

You really should raid and play with groups, the co-op content is the best part of the game. The solo content is a very small part of the game.

There is absolutely not $40 worth of content TTK

When the game launched and it only had 4 planets (2 of which we had already seen in the beta), I honestly thought that each expansion would add a new planet. Over time I think our expectations of how much content we get from Destiny has gotten lower and lower.

Dynasty8

Playing the campaign now, worth every penny.

Destiny still has some of the best gameplay I've ever seen in an FPS.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
The main quest line is so much shorter than Taken King and a lot of it is just recycled content only played in reverse, so I cannot in the slightest bit recommend it to solo players. At least you get an awesome looking
Exotic Sword
for finishing it. Looking forward to trying the raid and once again getting hooked to the grind :)

They overprice every piece of content. Just seems to be how the game works, so I wouldn't expect any changes for whatever Destiny 2 is.

farisr

Sucks I don't have a PS4 right now. Wanted to play this, especially before all the VR stuff and the october/november games come out.

Haven't played since Vanilla Destiny. Got it day one for $45, sold it for $35 once I had gone through the content. Will now be picking this up for what comes out to $52 (CAD). So altogether, I would've paid $62 CAD in total for everything (while getting to play the vanilla game right when it launched 2 years ago). Not bad at all.

kiguel182

You really should raid and play with groups, the co-op content is the best part of the game. The solo content is a very small part of the game.

I have raided and I enjoy playing with randoms.

But, to be honest, I'm just not super social so the idea of socializing with random people is always a little troublesome to me.

If I had a group of friends that played the game regularly I would be right there with them but that just isn't the case.

And I love my alone time with Destiny. Putting a podcast and shooting shit is a super enjoyable experience for me. That's why I value content that I can play with randoms (or alone) so much.

Raids are more like a especial event for me. And that is more related with how I am than the game.

Edit: And I love grinding solo too. Kinda why I wish there were some more systems to allow that and at least some matchmaking for non raid activities.

Kill3r7

I can't wait to play it when I get home tonight. Got stuck in the queue this morning before having to head to the office.

Cob32

They overprice every piece of content. Just seems to be how the game works, so I wouldn't expect any changes for whatever Destiny 2 is.

It's about £100 (35+40+25)worth of dlc now. Crazy. But fair play to bungie, it sells regardless of price.

Top Bottom