• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Rise of Iron Review Thread

DryvBy

A friend told me the game boosts a player to 40. Will that also boost the ability tree? Tired of grinding out the warlock stuff.

93xfan

Banned
I think the Raid will tell if it is small for $30...
I'm hoping to the Raid be like VoG.

Edit - This creates a good question... these early reviews are most without the new Raid.

VoG was the best raid by far. anyrhing resembling that would be awesome.

Gaz_RB

I can't believe the only new PVP mode is fucking Kill Confirmed.

The commentators during the MLG exhibition were all "wow this is so crazy! You can have the most kills and not win! Wow BUNGIE HAS DONE IT AGAIN". Played it this morning and its just as boring as I imagined. Rift was cool.

I see that AGES after I stopped playing they FINALLY added a section in game that lists your online clan members...

Only 2ish years too late...(not sure when exactly that was added... Certainly some time after the Taken King went live because it wasn't there when Taken King launched)

It was just added in RoI because they finally ditched the PS360. Hell, the memory was so constrained for those that adding more vault space took away item comparisons in it for equipment and some emotes like the Thriller dance wouldn't even work. The mere fact we got snow in this one is also a memory/engine change allowed because of moving away from supporting the old systems.

I'd argue that every expansion they released has been too pricey for what's in it. I'm not shocked

There is absolutely not $40 worth of content TTK
This is incredibly subjective. There is a TON to do in TTK post-campaign, even without the raid. Most of which actually has matchmaking, with the Nightfall, Raid and Challenge of Elders being the only end-game activities without matchmaking (which is normal because they are considered the endgame, but I don't want to start that debate again in this thread).

It's about £100 (35+40+25)worth of dlc now. Crazy. But fair play to bungie, it sells regardless of price.

Spread across 3 years? People spend a lot more on a lot less gameplay in a lot less time. That and the current full package if you don't already have Destiny is a full priced game, but has vanilla, the 2 expansions and these 2 yearly updates.

VoG was the best raid by far. anyrhing resembling that would be awesome.

Nothing can live up to VOG. Mechanically sure, but then people will just say. Oh this is a VOG clone.

the magic with VOG is people didn't really know what to expect. Every raid since you are ready,

"oh this is the jumping part"
"oh this is the plate part"
"oh this is the secret area here"

etc.

All of the raids have been pretty damn good.

After 100 bucks of DLC maybe the game finally feels not early access.

Not gonna do the same mistake again and throw more money at them for a unfinished game especially with more microtransactions coming.

Destiny 2 or nothing.

TTK was just as good if not better.

Ehh...

I felt that most of the bosses were designed to have too convoluted of a strategy to attack them.

Hell, the final boss doesn't even have a proper damage phase. You barely get to actually attack him, and when you do, it's for all of 2 seconds, and you have to use very specific types of weapons.

Golgoroth was so convoluted that players just said fuck it, it's easier to deal with adds every other turn than it is to go through the mess of juggling the boss's primary mechanic.

Warpriest was alright.

SkylineRKR

I think VoG is much better than KF.

I enjoyed the relentless waves in VoG when I was level 28 or so still. The bosses of KF might've been better (I like Golgoroth and War Priest), but VoG as an experience was better imo. KF was mostly about platforming, and then boss battles. 2 of them, Oryx and the 2 women, were utter shit actually... hmm.

Atheon, when not glitching out, was the most fun boss for me though. 3 guys doing Oracles, and the other 3 holding the area. During my first run I wasn't supposed to do oracles but one died and I was warped. Went Golden Gun and actually fragged most Oracles. Awesome moment. I felt important lol.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Ehh...

I felt that most of the bosses were designed to have too convoluted of a strategy to attack them.

Hell, the final boss doesn't even have a proper damage phase. You barely get to actually attack him, and when you do, it's for all of 2 seconds, and you have to use very specific types of weapons.

Golgoroth was so convoluted that players just said fuck it, it's easier to deal with adds every other turn than it is to go through the mess of juggling the boss's primary mechanic.

Warpriest was alright.

i recently did all the challenges to get the Moment of Triumphs and i went from loving the raid to downright despising it. Fuck Oryx hard mode.

Golgy was alright on challenge. needlessly complicated but ok.

J_Viper

This is incredibly subjective. There is a TON to do in TTK post-campaign, even without the raid. Most of which actually has matchmaking, with the Nightfall, Raid and Challenge of Elders being the only end-game activities without matchmaking (which is normal because they are considered the endgame, but I don't want to start that debate again in this thread).

Which activities would those be though? Like you stated, Nightfall, the raid, and more difficult variants of PoE don't have matchmaking, so what's left to do besides Strikes?

How do you measure that?

Eight campaign missions that took, what, two hours to finish? Then there's four Strikes.

That's kind of it for players who don't raid.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Bought. Finally a reason to get back into it and play with all my friends who haven't stopped.

Gaz_RB

Ehh...

Warpriest was alright.

I agree. I wish the raids were less memory focused (keeping track of super obscure patterns and convoluted mechanics) and more on pure skill.

Eight campaign missions that took, what, two hours to finish? Then there's four Strikes.

Campaign is part of the story, the myriad of quests fill out the rest of the story and TTK had a ton of quests.

Oh well.

E-flux

Which activities would those be though? Like you stated, Nightfall, the raid, and more difficult variants of PoE don't have matchmaking, so what's left to do besides Strikes?

You forget all of the little grindy missions that make you play variants to unlock exotics and other stuff. and a few smaller unique missions. Even though those aren't "new" content i think they should still be included in the mix because they add variety.

J_Viper

Campaign is part of the story, the myriad of quests fill out the rest of the story and TTK had a ton of quests.

Oh well.

You forget all of the little grindy missions that make you play variants to unlock exotics and other stuff. and a few smaller unique missions. Even though those aren't "new" content i think they should still be included in the mix because they add variety.

Those quests are a damn joke. I was talking more of actual missions, the ones that require work to develop and are actually entertaining to play through.

After about 3 hours playing I can say I like it, but it's just more Destiny and nothing groundbreaking. That being said, if the raid turns out to be well tuned then the $30 price tag is justified for me.

Those quests are a damn joke. I was talking more of actual missions, the ones that require work to develop and are actually entertaining to play through.

TTK quests actually had exclusive missions to them. If you skipped out on the TTK Part 3 quest lines, you missed out on some of the best levels of the game. The whole Wolves on Mars stuff, chasing the Echo across all the planets. Plus the specialty strikes the accompanied them.

Every strike has a unique variant that was attached to a late game quest line, IIRC.

Dumb question: I keep seeing "campaign" mentioned. Can you play through the game like a traditional single player campaign without doing raids? Could I enjoy this game by myself?

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Dumb question: I keep seeing "campaign" mentioned. Can you play through the game like a traditional single player campaign without doing raids? Could I enjoy this game by myself?
I'd say it's not worth jumping in if you're just going to play by yourself.

Edit: As a new player experiencing Destiny for the first time it's definitely recommended. A returning player coming back just for Rise of Iron's solo content, not so much.

These days, absolutely. Most of the content in Destiny is perfectly playable solo or in matchmaking pick up groups. The only exceptions are the aforementioned Raids, Nightfall Strikes (hard mode versions of Strike missions) and the hardest version of the Prison of Elders (basically Horde mode).

It's also playable without ever playing in the Crucible (competitive multiplayer) as well, though there are some quest lines that have Crucible elements in them. Up to you if you want to do them, none of it is required.

Hesemonni

Banned
I'd say it's not worth jumping in if you're just going to play by yourself.
Lol. It's definately worth jumping in! I Haven't touched raids and I'm having tons of fun without them. There's so much content it's going to be looong time until you miss the raids.

i recently did all the challenges to get the Moment of Triumphs and i went from loving the raid to downright despising it. Fuck Oryx hard mode.

Golgy was alright on challenge. needlessly complicated but ok.

I honestly thought King's Fall was very disappointing. Vault of Glass and Crota were really fun, King's Fall just felt very mechanical and frustrating. Glad to see I'm not the only one who didn't love it.

jrcbandit

I logged back in last week to try things out again and just couldn't muster much interest. Dunno how many friends are even coming back for this expansion, but I'll look at my friend's list when the raid is released, as the raid is the key to determine if I want the expansion. After finding out the jellyhorn pre-order bonus was just a skin, it no longer felt necessary to pre-order. Also, how can anyone take a review seriously without the inclusion of the raid? That's like half the value of the expansion for people still playing this game.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Lol. It's definately worth jumping in! I Haven't touched raids and I'm having tons of fun without them. There's so much content it's going to be looong time until you miss the raids.
If he's referring to all of Destiny I agree, but if he's a returning player looking to just play Rise of Iron for it's solo content then I don't.

Edit: Derp, rereading his post it does seem like he was referring to Destiny as a whole.

oti

Banned
Ordered the Complete Edition and I have no idea what the new expansion even entails. Only know Vanilla Destiny so I thought this was a good time to jump back in.

If he's referring to all of Destiny I agree, but if he's a returning player looking to just play Rise of Iron for it's solo content then I don't.

Edit: Derp, rereading his post it does seem like he was referring to Destiny as a whole.

Yeah I'd be pretty much starting from scratch. I'd be mostly focusing on the campaign solo and crucible.

I guess I'd be treating the game as a traditional solo campaign with multiplayer like the Halo games.

Yeah Kings Fall is a good raid and I LOVED it my first couple times through

But HM Oryx is just flat out needlessly difficult. The encounter is just too long

Lothars

Yeah I'd be pretty much starting from scratch. I'd be mostly focusing on the campaign solo and crucible.

I guess I'd be treating the game as a traditional solo campaign with multiplayer like the Halo games.
It's absolutely worth it, to me it's one of the best games of the generation.

For the dedicated players, $30 is worth it since they will be doing the Raid and everything else to max out their Light.

Destiny isn't that great a value if you go it single player, but grab a couple friends and it becomes an experience. Do a Raid with friends that have mics and it's a fantastic experience.

J_Viper

TTK quests actually had exclusive missions to them. If you skipped out on the TTK Part 3 quest lines, you missed out on some of the best levels of the game. The whole Wolves on Mars stuff, chasing the Echo across all the planets. Plus the specialty strikes the accompanied them.

Every strike has a unique variant that was attached to a late game quest line, IIRC.

Were those the mission types where you had to go to Patrol mode and wait in an area (that's never marked, which means I have to look it up on YouTube) until a particular enemy group spawns? Because those just sound like a chore.

Reading a lot of positive impressions of the campaign missions today. Many saying some are the best in whole game (expansions included).

Honestly, it's the first and last story missions that are really good, last one especially. The Others are just kind of "Eh", though with TTK I only really liked 3/6 in that "Story" anyway so I'm probably an outlier. I Just dislike the idea of a mission taking place 99% of the time in a Patrol Zone area like most of these do. A couple side missions after you beat the story that are from quests are interesting though. Bungie is certainly getting better at least making some more involved and at least different.

Ehh...

Warpriest was alright.

I agree. I wish the raids were less memory focused (keeping track of super obscure patterns and convoluted mechanics) and more on pure skill.

it did feel convoluted for the sake of being convoluted. VoG required both skill and teamwork and just made more sense

This is premature until the raid comes out.

That said, I agree with the blurb from GamesRadar in the OP that Rise of Iron brings structures in place that will greatly benefit the future of Destiny. Something, IMO, that really started with the April update and the changes to infusion that came with it.

Looking forward to the Halloween event.
What Halloween event to you speak of?

benzopil

The main problem with King's Fall is that almost every boss fight is a puzzle. And it's pretty interesting for the first two or three times, but after that you just want to shoot things and get loot. But you can't and it becomes boring AF.

It's like playing The Witness for the fourth time when you remember every puzzle, if you understand what I mean.

The Goat

As others have said, it's completely solo'able. I soloed TTK since most of my buddies didn't pick it up. Still had a few friends that I'd run the Raid with, but its not necessary. It's one of the cooler aspects of Destiny though, so use Dgaf to its fullest and buddy up for them.

Use matchmaking for all the other stuff, its totally fine. Destiny is my game of the generation. Nothing else has come close. It plays so well.

This is premature until the raid comes out.
TEbW6GKh.jpg
Doesnt seem like it is

Top Bottom