• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Rise of Iron Review Thread

benzopil

Look at the completion rates of many single player games, maybe reviewing full games is not needed too, just a few chapters and we're done

A lot of people solo'd Crota's End and never actually played a full raid with 6 people. I think only 10% or less care about this part of the game.

soultron

Banned
Been playing it all day. The campaign was short but of very high quality, but it also seems to set the stage for things like strikes and the raid. There are a few missions here and there that are reworks of original missions, with some environmental tweaks and the new SIVA enemies.

The new Plaguelands area is drastically different from others (similar to how the Dreadnought in TTK shook things up) and the Archon's Forge seems like this expansion's equivalent to Court of Oryx from TTK.

I'd say that if you're new to Destiny, $60 for the complete collection is a lot of game for that price. $40 is only worth it if you have friends (or want to join up with friendly GAFfers over in DGAF) that might bring you back into Destiny since you've last been. Lastly, if you're already playing every day, then you don't need convincing on the asking price.

I'd say it's not worth jumping in if you're just going to play by yourself.
I disagree with 100%
I play solo, meaning I don't have group of buds or a clan.
It's the most fun I've had with a fps this gen. The gameplay and mechanics are second to no one. It's top tier gameplay at its best. The atmosphere is amazing. The music riveting.
Trust me, get the game if you like playing shooters. If for some miraculous reason you hate it, Ill pay for it my damn self. And if your on Ps4 my gt is NowhereFaded. Later.

Fdkn

A lot of people solo'd Crota's End and never actually played a full raid with 6 people. I think only 10% or less care about this part of the game.

That's certainly not true. The only people that would go through the tedium of soloing crota without liking raids are hardcore games and/or trophy hunters, and you can't believe that ~10% of the Destiny userbase falls into that

it isn't needed

Disagree.

benzopil

That's certainly not true. The only people that would go through the tedium of soloing crota without liking raids are hardcore games and/or trophy hunters, and you can't believe that ~10% of the Destiny userbase falls into that

Or they are solo players or are playing with a friend, but wanted to get the best gear in the game and had an opportunity to do it solo. I know two guys who didn't want to spend too much time in Vault of Glass but played Crota's End because they could to it solo/with 1 buddy.

Fdkn

Or they are solo players or are playing with a friend, but wanted to get the best gear in the game and had an opportunity to do it solo. I know two guys who didn't want to spend too much time in Vault of Glass but played Crota's End because they could to it solo/with 1 buddy.

And that's an anecdote about some guys you know but what you are extrapolating from that is very hard to believe.
9/10 of my friends buy digital games only too

jaaz

Honestly, it's the first and last story missions that are really good, last one especially. The Others are just kind of "Eh", though with TTK I only really liked 3/6 in that "Story" anyway so I'm probably an outlier. I Just dislike the idea of a mission taking place 99% of the time in a Patrol Zone area like most of these do. A couple side missions after you beat the story that are from quests are interesting though. Bungie is certainly getting better at least making some more involved and at least different.

Frankly, I would be fine paying $30 and even $40 for expansions IF these expansions contained more of the type of main missions and side missions that started with TTK. But 5 missions and a few side missions for $30 doesn't seem enough unless the raid is Vault of Glass amazing--we'll see come Friday.

And more honestly, these missions don't even seem to be that intricate or complicated, and for the life of me I can't understand why it takes months and months and cost so much (apparently) to come up with 5 of these missions. Must be the ridiculous inefficiency of the engine that has been discussed before, where it apparently takes hours of coding to move a box from one place to the next. I suspect this will be the biggest change to Destiny coming in Destiny 2.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I disagree with 100%
It's the most fun I've had with a fps this gen. The gameplay and mechanics are second to no one. It's top tier gameplay at its best. The atmosphere is amazing. The music riveting.
Trust me, get the game if you like playing shooters. If for some miraculous reason you hate it, Ill pay for it my damn self. And if your on Ps4 my gt is NowhereFaded. Later.
Should probably read my follow up post :p

Edited the initial post for clarification.

Frankly, I would be fine paying $30 and even $40 for expansions IF these expansions contained more of the type of main missions and side missions that started with TTK. But 5 missions and a few side missions for $30 doesn't seem enough unless the raid is Vault of Glass amazing--we'll see come Friday.

And more honestly, these missions don't even seem to be that intricate or complicated, and for the life of me I can't understand why it takes months and months and cost so much (apparently) to come up with 5 of these missions. Must be the ridiculous inefficiency of the engine that has been discussed before, where it apparently takes hours of coding to move a box from one place to the next. I suspect this will be the biggest change to Destiny coming in Destiny 2.

Because I don't even think they started on this until the beginning of the year. I think that's when they realized that they were not going to hit the date for destiny 2 so then they had to do an expansion. I think the problem is is that taking king was pretty much a full game for 40 bucks. so trying to compare that to this makes a little bit harder to swallow. But if you compare this $30 DLC compared to quotas end or house of wolves. It's really not that bad a deal from what I've seen so far seems like it's a mix somewhere in between the taken king and one of the previous DLC's.

I don't have the time to do raids. Strikes offer the best elements of raids. Only shorter and requiring less people. Long live strikes.

Se_7_eN

Why is Destiny the only game with raids that it is considered "unfair" to review before the raid is released?

DrBo42

Can't believe how recycled this expansion is. These "remastered" strikes man... Good lord. $30 doesn't exactly feel right.

I imagine anybody still playing destiny after all these expansions plays the raids. The 90% figure is from the original vanilla version and demo and consists of people constantly bashing destiny on the internet.

Pineapple

So I just finished the main story and it was...short. Really short.

SIVA is such a cool concept and it seems this could have been a much longer, grander story.

The new stuff is mostly cool by Destiny standards but you can't review shit until you hit the end game, which is where the meat of Destiny has always been. And we wont know how good that is until this weekend.

At this point I think the highs aren't as high as TTK, but the lows are definitely not as low either.

jdstorm

Banned
I have raided and I enjoy playing with randoms.

But, to be honest, I'm just not super social so the idea of socializing with random people is always a little troublesome to me.

If I had a group of friends that played the game regularly I would be right there with them but that just isn't the case.

And I love my alone time with Destiny. Putting a podcast and shooting shit is a super enjoyable experience for me. That's why I value content that I can play with randoms (or alone) so much.

Raids are more like a especial event for me. And that is more related with how I am than the game.

Edit: And I love grinding solo too. Kinda why I wish there were some more systems to allow that and at least some matchmaking for non raid activities.

I'm in a similar boat to you.
Players seem to be able to Solo some of the Raids, so I'm going to eventually give that a go with the Crota's End and Vault of Glass raids.

Is there a cheap digital upgrade path if you own the taken king ? Looking at the ps store all I see available is the entire collection.

They really don't. Teamwork is the best part of raids and strikes require none of that.

TTK strikes totally required teamwork. Everyone that I've talked to that has played the RAIDs tells me that the well designed strikes TTK brought in are like mini-raids. I don't have anything against RAIDS, it's just that I don't have 6 Destiny friends nor the time it takes to complete a RAID. I'd given up on the game until the TTK came out. The single player was fine, but the PvE stuff - especially the raids - is what I've been looking for.

TTK strikes totally required teamwork. Everyone that I've talked to that has played the RAIDs tells me that the well designed strikes TTK brought in are like mini-raids. I don't have anything against RAIDS, it's just that I don't have 6 Destiny friends nor the time it takes to complete a RAID. I'd given up on the game until the TTK came out. The single player was fine, but the PvE stuff - especially the raids - is what I've been looking for.

They really don't. Teamwork is the best part of raids and strikes require none of that.

TTK strikes did require team work and were awesome. Best content in the game are those TTK strikes and VoG imo. That's why I was so bummed when I found out there's only one strike in this new expansion. It also gave me an idea of what kind of expansion it would be so I skipped it.

$50 Aussie is too rich of a price point IMO. The content and game are so well executed and having a regular group to run with and tackle a new raid has me paying the admission price though.

Bungie you scoundrels :)

Played a good 6-8 hours today, got most of the quests done on one character and pushing light 341 (started at 301). I'd give RoI a 6/10 so far, maybe the raid will blow my mind and raise the score but I doubt it.

The setting, atmosphere, etc are all very mediocre. I don't fault bungie, after the epic-ness of the Taken King, where you are hunted by a God who has killed trillions of souls across millions of planets, its hard to get excited about whatever the hell SIVA is supposed to be. The campaign was extremely short and disjointed. There are some cool things, and I haven't even touched PVP yet and I am sure I will really enjoy that for a while.

Its pretty obvious though after 2-3 weeks I'll be bored and quit playing for the most part, which is fine to me. $30 may be a little too high a price for what has been delivered, but I hope they roll out monthly events and stuff until Destiny 2 which makes the price pretty palatable. For anyone who hasn't played Destiny, paying $60 for everything is a fantastic deal.

I disagree with 100%

I second this, I play Destiny mainly as a solo experience and I love it. Once in a while I'll do random strikes but the bulk of my time is solo and it's probably my favorite game of this gen so far.

Jabba

Banned
Reading a lot of positive impressions of the campaign missions today. Many saying some are the best in whole game (expansions included).

Sounds like they've hit their stride once again after fixing many complaints with Taken King?

Btw DGAF, how are the server queues?

That said, I agree with the blurb from GamesRadar in the OP that Rise of Iron brings structures in place that will greatly benefit the future of Destiny. Something, IMO, that really started with the April update and the changes to infusion that came with it.

Day 1 Destiny player here that swore off the game but is strongly considering jumping in for Destiny 2, can you elaborate??

Dmax3901

You guys are making it easier for me to hold off on this. I've only just gotten into Destiny this month, my mate gave me vanilla for free and I just spent $30 AUD on TTK which I've enjoyed quite a lot, huge leap in quality in PvE. So kinda bummed I've been locked out of pvp after like week but eh there's enough there to keep me busy til RoI drops in price.

Neolombax

For the dedicated players, $30 is worth it since they will be doing the Raid and everything else to max out their Light.

Destiny isn't that great a value if you go it single player, but grab a couple friends and it becomes an experience. Do a Raid with friends that have mics and it's a fantastic experience.

Been a solo player since day 1, never touched any raids, nightfalls if I bother going through the LFG sites. Been doing the story missions, daily heroics, strikes and crucible. I personally love the loot grind. Also, the crucible isn't bad either. Just recently started to get a feel for it, and I must say I prefer it over the likes of COD, Battleborn, etc. Destiny has been a great investment of time and money for me personally, even as a solo player.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
New player just started. It's my son's favorite PS4 game that he plays with his friends. I like Halo and Bungie, but I just never got around to trying it despite my son telling me to.

So he used some of his birthday money to buy the expansion to play with his buddies. His hype got to me and I figured I would finally jump in.

Didn't have much time tonight to play. Just did the intro to the city.

ps_messages_20160920_xrrv6.jpg

Considering I'm older now with a life and family I'm sure if I like this there will be more than enough content to keep me busy for the next year. LoL

Got a full solid day into the game and it's been the best state Destiny has been in without a doubt.

The main campaign was indeed between 3-4 hours but upon completion a ton of quests open up each with their own missions. I just did two exotic quests (Khovostov and Gally) and they took me up almost as long as the main campaign, along with a few crucible sessions. I've only just spent about 10 hours with the game and I'd say that in itself is worth the $30 asking price. Yet there is SO much more to discover and the raid to do.

I'm just really enjoying the level grind and weapon collecting a lot.

oti

Banned
So if you're like me and only played Vanilla Destiny, how much new (and better) content are we talking here. In the Collection I mean.

ryseing

So if you're like me and only played Vanilla Destiny, how much new (and better) content are we talking here. In the Collection I mean.

The quest structure honestly makes the game 10x better. You always know exactly what you need to do next. TTK had some decent content and I'm liking the Plaguelands so far.

Started at 8pm and finished the campaign at 10:45 pm.

I'm sure there's plenty more in terms of quests and objectives, but that was quick, and I usually average twice as long to get through games as the usual estimates go.

I hope Bungie has plans to sustain interest.

DeaDPo0L84

You can tell by how many of the existing assets were reworked that this was a quick fill in the spot for what was potentially meant to be Destiny 2.

Content wise I don't mind it but the low production value of the story is staggering. By the time you reach the end and become an Iron Lord there's so little fanfare you could blink and miss it. Not that the ending of the main game wasn't a steaming pile but still. Hopefully Bungie tries way harder with the sequel. This shit is ass for something that kind of masquerades as an RPG

Top Bottom