• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Rise of Iron Trailer leak.

Why didn't you ignore his post? People can't give negative opinions, everything has to be full of happy shining rainbows.
There have been plenty of people that gave valid reasons for not wanting to get this DLC. That person just wanted to shitpost.
Eh, I'll give you that.

Court of Oryx was a fucking bust though. After week 1 it was a ghost town. Relying on the dynamic world matching was not the choice.

Really? Weeks later I still found random people fighting in the Court. The dynamic world matchmaking is a little busted. Sometimes it works and most times it's always a ghost town.

Cool. New Gjallahorn needs to melt everything like the old one. Quest to get it should be difficult. Hopefully current weapons come forward by using the current infusion system.

Anyone have a complete breakdown of what's coming, or is that something Bungie is releasing later today? As someone who doesn't do the raids because he doesn't have a party to do them with, and doesn't want to jump through the hoops of getting one set up with strangers, the value proposition on stuff that isn't largely sp (or matchmaking) in nature is always dicey for me.

MrDaravon

AHAHAHAHAHA at the Gjallarhorn pre-order incentive. It's probably just an exclusive skin or something that quest will open up to everyone at some point, but it feels extra fucking sleezy to have that kind of thing as a pre-order incentive when that was THE weapon in Year One and the community was outraged it wasn't in Year Two and it's the number one thing weapon people wanted back. Really don't think it's a good look but we need more information on that.

That aside not a whole lot to go on in the trailer; I like the snowy aesthetic though. In general we need details, but the one thing that really sticks out to me that I agree with the complaints on is that it is absurd we are getting ONE new strike out of this, or even two if you assume there's a PS exclusive one. Bungie pls

hrmm, gjally being back is fun n all, but taken king's loot system really soured me on Destiny. Not sure whether I will jump into this or not

This was fixed in the April update. You can now play a number of activities(Raid, NF, CoE, Trials, Iron Banner, etc) for the best/highest Light Level Loot throughout the game. The infusion system is also 1:1 too. Gear drops within about 6 levels of your current light so there's a constant progression when you play. I don't think they will reverse the system for ROI since it was a huge quality of life update needed since TTK launched.

urge26

The value proposition argument for Destiny is pointless. I've put 1500+ hours into it, think I've gotten my "value". Destiny is all about end game, raiding with friends, PvP. Those that don't play the game enough don't get it. Most fun I've had in a game period.

XAL

That really depends, there have times when it was barren but trying to do Tier 3 fights with randoms is always a crap shoot. Other times I have gone to Court by myself and after a bit there were 6 people there.

But I have all the fragments so I don't go there anymore. Grinding for 335 artifacts isn't fun.

Yeah it was super hit or miss for me. Most of the time I was just by myself.

I mean it worked at launch, offered an excellent multiplayer experience, and Vault of Glass was legit one of the best things in any game that year. Better than a lot of games can say.

It just happened to also have a barebones campaign that felt massively underwhelming compared to everything else Bungie has ever done, because they scrapped it before launch and tried to reorganize what they had done.

Yeah it was garbage. Easily the worst product Bungie produced by miles.

Vault of Glass was a buggy nightmare. The game was lacking in content. It was filled with placeholder graphics for items. The end game was designed purposefully for you to hit one of the hardest grind walls in gaming history. It was abusive and remained abusive for a long time through 2 'expansions'. They punished the most dedicated Destiny players for a long time. It was abusive because it was designed to be abusive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g79dWuqXe5o

Vanilla Destiny was basically a glorified extended beta, or glorified early access. It launched in a really sorry state. If the multiplayer wasn't so fun people would have abandoned it wholesale in 2 weeks. Not to mention the large gaps in time between patches, and things not working as intended and the patches actually making things worse and having to wait for them to fuck it up again (literally messed up balancing changes like 4 times in a row multiple times). And holy shit, how the engrams worked for the first stretch.

Really? Weeks later I still found random people fighting in the Court. The dynamic world matchmaking is a little busted. Sometimes it works and most times it's always a ghost town.

It was super hit or miss for me. Mostly miss. I have open NAT, placed my PS4 in a DMZ and I still had a really hard time finding people consistently. After awhile it became so frustrating wasting court currency and loading out and in I just gave up on it entirely.

scoobs

Cool. New Gjallahorn needs to melt everything like the old one. Quest to get it should be difficult. Hopefully current weapons come forward by using the current infusion system.
If by "quest to get it" you mean "pre-order" then ya, difficult quest.

Yep...the trailer is just the appetizer I needed for the reveal stream today. Will def preorder on PSN the instant it goes live.

Man I'm pumped, that scene of us traversing the mountain alone as really cool.

Seem like the plague is less biological and more technological, if that mysterious red glitchy glow is it. Seems like maybe a beserk warmind is messing with the make up of the matter of living things (because it's the fantastic future, it could probably pull that off).

People upset about the gjallerhorm should probably relax. They've been actually good about promotional stuff. There was a Red Bull exclusive quest when you needed codes of cans of Red Bull to gain access to an exclusive sparrow. After a while, presumably based on their agreement with Red Bull, they made it available to everyone. I'd assume the same here at least. And yes, it's entirely possible vanilla Gjallerhorn will be available.

Hell, I'm already skeptical it's just one strike. All we've got is one trailers word on it, could be as easy as a typo. Would be might disappointing if it's the case though Running strikes is one of my favourite PVE experiences.

Lol, someone here was claiming year one light level was better than two's? Nobody liked being locked to whatever armor Bungie deemed good enough to have a light stat on it. It ruined customization. Going to need an explanation why that's good in any way lol

Year two, we've got it so any armor set can fill the Light bill so long as you have good enough defence on it, and ever since the April Update added lossless infusion, it's been better than ever. I've almost reached the Light cap of 335 and I've never even touched the raid. All having my own personal set of armor. It's leagues better now.

scoobs

The pre-order gives you a quest line that you have to complete to get it.

Still absolutely ridiculous. The fun of the original gally came from the rarity of it and how OP it was. When I got my first one from killing the final boss from the first raid it was an epic moment and i screamed into my mic w/ my friends. Just giving everyone a gally is not the answer. Shameful. Honestly? Its a pathetic attempt to try and bring back players who've quit from the OG release.

I guess I can't blame them, I'm sure they have a small fraction of players that have stuck with the game over all of this time, but the weapon has no appeal anymore if you go this route.

This was fixed in the April update. You can now play a number of activities(Raid, NF, CoE, Trials, Iron Banner, etc) for the best/highest Light Level Loot throughout the game. The infusion system is also 1:1 too. Gear drops within about 6 levels of your current light so there's a constant progression when you play. I don't think they will reverse the system for ROI since it was a huge quality of life update needed since TTK launched.
getting a raid sniper rifle with 300 damage when I already had one at 306 was infuriating, what you describe doesnt sound like it quite fixed that

RetroMG

Yeah, I just don't know that I can muster enough interest for another Destiny expa-

"Gjallarhorn 2.0"

...goddammit.

Iorv3th

Is that supposed to be Saladin in the trailer?

Looks like it could be fun. Hope it has a lot of new content though and new pvp stuff.

The Gjallahorn being 'back' is weird because it will probably still be nerfed.

Still absolutely ridiculous. The fun of the original gally came from the rarity of it and how OP it was. Just giving everyone a gally is not the answer. Shameful.
I hate shameless preorder items. But I love Gjallahorn. It's conflicting.

Really though preorder bonuses of any sort aren't good. That said, I'm hoping the Gjallahorn hasn't been nerfed.

giphy.gif

Still absolutely ridiculous. The fun of the original gally came from the rarity of it and how OP it was. When I got my first one from killing the final boss from the first raid it was an epic moment and i screamed into my mic w/ my friends. Just giving everyone a gally is not the answer. Shameful. Honestly? Its a pathetic attempt to try and bring back players who've quit from the OG release.

I guess I can't blame them, I'm sure they have a small fraction of players that have stuck with the game over all of this time, but the weapon has no appeal anymore if you go this route.

There have been many more exotics since vanilla that I personally think outranks and looks cooler than Gally. But I never got a Gally in vanilla cuz The Last Word was my shit.

LtOrange

I really hope year three has a constant flow of content. This trailer has me excited about Destiny again, now I hope they can just keep that going.

getting a raid sniper rifle with 300 damage when I already had one at 306 was infuriating, what you describe doesnt sound like it quite fixed that

I guess I didn't do a good job of explaining it. If you're overall current light level is 306 then gear that drops for you now will drop at your level or up to 6 light levels higher.

If you fire up the game today and play it, your light level will climb quickly. After the April update all three of my toons when from 319 to 330 in a matter of hours just running the raid. 330-335 Light Level gear drops like candy now.

Edit: In addition to all that. The Raid has challenge mode which drops guaranteed max light level gear.

Raven117

Im with you (mine dropped before the real hype of the weapon began), but it was so OP that it made PUGs hard to find without one. So you can't have that situation either.

IMO, the best way to handle it is to make a ridiculous quest with a bunch of steps...(maybe even some awful grinding...like the swords)...to get an OP weapon? Its gotta hurt...but it also needs to be a little predictiable in getting it.

Oh, and no way this thing will have the firepower of the original.

blamite

I really want to be hyped for this but based on that trailer alone... 😪😪😪

I'm sure the raid will be great, but only one new strike is kind of pathetic, even if it's in a new zone.

I don't even want to think about the Iron Gjallarhorn thing, to be honest.

Hopefully the reveal stream in a few hours has some more promising details...

If your an Xbox player the exclusive Playstation weapons in TTK should be expiring around the time of this release. We can finally claim the Jade Rabbit.

E92 M3

I really want to be hyped for this but based on that trailer alone... 😪😪😪

I'm sure the raid will be great, but only one new strike is kind of pathetic, even if it's in a new zone.

I don't even want to think about the Irin Gjallarhorn thug, to be honest.

Hopefully the reveal stream in a few hours has some more promising details...

Lol, funny typo

XAL

I mean that's exactly what it is. They have to sell people on it.

I got mine in Vanilla from Xur during the first week he came up lol

I was tempted for a second. But nah bungie. Will wait for destiny2

I'm probably just going to keep my characters up so when the transfer happens to 2 I'll have unlocks or some junk.

If there's one thing they could learn from The Division, it's got to be optional matchmaking.

Select activity from the Director, then press Triangle to begin matchmaking. Simples!

Yea, the ability to MM into anything in Division was great.

Truthfully, and I usually defend not having matchmaking for certain end-game activities, I would like them to do it and also allow me to go into a strike solo because of it. The few strikes where you would really benefit from having more than 1 person at a time would end up making people use the matchmaking. Nightfall not sending to orbit on wipe anymore pretty much, to me, means there's no point to not matchmaking it now.

The only negative I could think of that may trump people complaining about not having matchmaking for everything is that the Raid and Nightfall having matchmaking would likely end up with a ton of people not talking and then the situation goes to shit and people start complaining even more about bad players or how much the activity sucks than we get complaints about not having matchmaking.

Of course, then we'd also, potentially, have fewer people matchmade into strikes and PoE for things that used to have it and it would be a mess. It would sure solve potentially put a dent into the inactive player issue, though!

Lee

Wonder if they'll do the full nine yards and offer a collector's edition of this. Their CEs have been pretty nice. A good bit of lore, stickers, books, postcards, and the ghost model and strange coin replica are nice little items - much better than the statues that seem to come in every other game's CE.

Blueblur1

Truthfully, and I usually defend not having matchmaking for certain end-game activities, I would like them to do it and also allow me to go into a strike solo because of it. The few strikes where you would really benefit from having more than 1 person at a time would end up making people use the matchmaking. Nightfall not sending to orbit on wipe anymore pretty much, to me, means there's no point to not matchmaking it now.

The only negative I could think of that may trump people complaining about not having matchmaking for everything is that the Raid and Nightfall having matchmaking would likely end up with a ton of people not talking and then the situation goes to shit and people start complaining even more about bad players or how much the activity sucks than we get complaints about not having matchmaking.

Of course, then we'd also, potentially, have fewer people matchmade into strikes and PoE for things that used to have it and it would be a mess. It would sure solve potentially put a dent into the inactive player issue, though!

Even when you join up with someone from a forum somewhere for the Nightfall I've found them to be quiet and never say a word. So what's the difference?

I just want a matchmaking *option* for all activities. The option wouldn't hurt the existing playerbase at all.

XAL

Wonder if they'll do the full nine yards and offer a collector's edition of this. Their CEs have been pretty nice. A good bit of lore, stickers, books, postcards, and the ghost model and strange coin replica are nice little items - much better than the statues that seem to come in every other game's CE.

I would think so. Bungie has to make Activision back it's 500 mill+

Pre-Order? I thought they introduced micro-transactions to make future DLC for Destiny 1 free?

That's what they wanted to do internally because the game engine was totally fucked. But they have a contract with Activision that stipulates they need to produce more expansions.

/Activision hasn't made their 500+ million back .

lol preorder Gjallahorn? Pretty much guarantees it will be trash.

I'll be back with Destiny 2. Assuming they fix the netcode, add matchmaking/in-game group finding to everything and bump the framerate to 60. All these have to be met or it's a easy pass.

lol preorder Gjallahorn? Pretty much guarantees it will be trash.

I'll be back with Destiny 2. Assuming they fix the netcode, add matchmaking/in-game group finding to everything and bump the framerate to 60. All these have to be met or it's a easy pass.

Also would love the social hubs to be more...well...social. Since their isn't matchmaking for certain gametypes it would be great to have a dedicated section in the tower where players go looking for groups.

That's what they wanted to do internally because the game engine was totally fucked. But they have a contract with Activision that stipulates they need to produce more expansions.

Damn. I didn't know that. Kind of makes you think if this update will be legitimately good then. If it was something Bungie was contractually obligated to make....

We would rather pay for the expansions than get the free small updates they've been doing that really don't add much to bring people back in.

I'm going to wait for more details on this. Since it was also fixed in the April update of 2015, and then broken again in September of 2015.

Basically, I'm worried only the new activities are going to bring us up to 365 light (or whatever number it is). And we'll be back to having these horrible loot choke points.

Mafro

Something tells me Gjallarhorn is gonna be nerf or it's exotic perk will be change. Bungie can't be stupid to give out a OP weapon which single handily the bane of LFG requirements,destroyed many friendships and responsible for many brain dead players who only knows how to blast the horn through the raids and refuses to learn the raid mechanics
My favourite thing about the Gjallarhorn was Bungie blaming it for ruining LFG, rather than their easily-exploitable boss design. Also loved how they nerfed it after finally having Xur sell it again.

Top Bottom