• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny won’t release in 2013

StuBurns

Banned
Perhaps current gen console release will be ahead of next-gen ports? Next-gen port releases with the timing of Commet 1 DLC?
I find that very hard to believe. If the next-gen systems don't have backwards compatibility, and apparently they don't, then the core audience, the people you most need to champion a project like this, will be primarily playing on systems that Destiny isn't even on.

It has to be on PS4 and XB3, the same day it's on PS3 and 360.

Dirtbag

I find that very hard to believe. If the next-gen systems don't have backwards compatibility, and apparently they don't, then the core audience, the people you most need to champion a project like this, will be primarily playing on systems that Destiny isn't even on.

It has to be on PS4 and XB3, the same day it's on PS3 and 360.

It's just a thought.

I plan on getting at least one of the next-gen consoles, but it won't stop me from buying destiny on last gen to play it.

My most played game on 360 for the first year or so was Halo 2.
I'm over graphics over gameplay. If it launches cross gen, then it won't be designed around next-gen anyway. All the port will offer is resolution and visual boost. Nothing taking advantage of true next-gen hardware.

StuBurns

Banned
It's just a thought.

I plan on getting at least one of the next-gen consoles, but it won't stop me from buying destiny on last gen to play it.

My most played game on 360 for the first year or so was Halo 2.
I'm over graphics over gameplay. If it launches cross gen, then it won't be designed around next-gen anyway. All the port will offer is resolution and visual boost. Nothing taking advantage of true next-gen hardware.
I could be underestimating the amount of people who keep their previous systems hooked up once they get their next ones.

Although it's impossible to say a next-gen version wouldn't add things beyond performance. Maybe you get raids that max out at six players in 'Gen 3' and twelve in 'Gen 4', we really have no idea.

Dirtbag

I could be underestimating the amount of people who keep their previous systems hooked up once they get their next ones.

Although it's impossible to say a next-gen version wouldn't add things beyond performance. Maybe you get raids that max out at six players in 'Gen 3' and twelve in 'Gen 4', we really have no idea.

The entire game is going to built around current gen memory constraints. You really think a dual release would see big changes between the two? I sure don't.

The game will be balanced and tested around its lead sku and the rest are ports. I just don't see it.
This is their first multi-plat foray... now you are adding in multi-gen.

If its a simultaneous cross-gen release, I don't see any big changes happening between the two gen version outside of graphical upgrades. If its a staggered release, then I see some sort of extra feature or two to try and hook the double-dippers.

Should be expecting cross-gen for the first few years for titles, though.

I don't know about that. The current-gen consoles have been around what? Seven, eight years at this point? I'd expect them to be phased out within a year of the new hardware hitting the market. That's generally the way its always been.

Said this in the reveal thread, but there's no way I'm investing in a current-gen MMO in 2014. Especially with no promises of account migration or backwards compatibility. Next gen or bust.

StuBurns

Banned
You really think a dual release would see big changes between the two? I sure don't.
No, I don't, I would expect it to be almost exactly the same, but five or six higher end exclusive raids? That wouldn't surprise me, no.

However, I do think just a graphical/performance advantage alone would be significant enough.

I think people want new stuff, yes, Halo 2 was an example of people holding on to the previous generation with an iron clad grip, but that's really the only one as far as I know. It was a special case. I don't think people are going to want to keep their old consoles hooked up just to play Destiny.

I also just don't think it's likely. Even if it's a notable technical challenge to ship on all four day one, they'll do it anyway, if it's literally just a straight 1080p port, people would take that over keeping the old systems hooked up I believe.

Said this in the reveal thread, but there's no way I'm investing in a current-gen MMO in 2014. Especially with no promises of account migration or backwards compatibility. Next gen or bust.

We will get these kinds of details in due time and well before launch.

its not an MMO
It's more MMO than any other console shooter. Loot, raids, internet connection required, heavy emphasis on community, guilds, day/night cycles etc. all scream MMO. As Sessler said, that first M might stand for "minimally."

Dirtbag

f it's literally just a straight 1080p port, people would take that over keeping the old systems hooked up I believe.
That's all I'm expecting if they launch alongside each other

If its a few months later for next-gen console versions. then they will definitely add a little something into the next-gen version to try for the double-dippers. Nothing huge, but something a little extra in this case.

Jarmel

Banned
Probably waiting for the fucking consoles to you know, actually get revealed first.
I'm sure its a requirement of receiving the dev. kits early.

How about they wait the two days then. It's not like we're not getting an announcement before E3.

Jarmel

Banned
Cos ATVI want Destiny to get it's own limelight and not share the stage with other games?

As if it won't get overshadowed by the PS4 announcement in the next couple of days anyway? They could announce it a week after the PS4 release and show off the new graphics and it wouldn't hurt them at all. With the minimal amount they showed off, it would probably been better to have more of an impact with the gameplay they actually have.

This really does feel like a corporate kickstarter.

imjust1n

Banned
Regardless, I just pre ordered it but once it is announced for next gen it will be flipped to that new system.

The poster from gamestop is HUGE and pretty.

Dirtbag

How about they wait the two days then. It's not like we're not getting an announcement before E3.

Maybe its 720 1-year exclusive and they have no plans of showing it at the Ps4 reveal.
Maybe they sold the exclusive next-gen reveals to a magazine or IGN.
Maybe they don't plan on showing the game again till E3 stage demos.

Maybe (and this is what I'm really guessing), is that the next-gen versions aren't where they want them yet. So they show the current gen version now so they can get their annoucement in before the game looks completely out-dated in two days.

Jarmel

Banned
Maybe its 720 1-year exclusive and they have no plans of showing it at the Ps4 reveal.
Maybe they sold the exclusive next-gen reveals to a magazine or IGN.
Maybe they don't plan on showing the game again till E3 stage demos.

Maybe (and this is what I'm really guessing), is that the next-gen versions aren't where they want them yet. So they show the current gen version now so they can get their annoucement in before the game looks completely out-dated in two days.

If it's 720 exclusive then why announce it two days before the PS4 reveal? It would make sense to time it closer to the 720 reveal. As to selling the rights to IGN for the next-gen reveal, that's possible but at this point I doubt it as it's probably going to be held off until E3. Also if they aren't planning to show the game till E3 then again it would have been better to hold off and get their ducks in order.

As to the next-gen games not being where they want it to be, if they know it's not coming out till 2014 then it would have been better to hold off completely in regards to showing current-gen footage especially when the footage already looks outdated.

Stark

Banned
I don't know about that. The current-gen consoles have been around what? Seven, eight years at this point? I'd expect them to be phased out within a year of the new hardware hitting the market. That's generally the way its always been.

I guess so. I think there's the fear that, they won't always have the exact same user base. You don't know if it'll be higher or lower. Of course, it wasn't designed with next-gen in mind and that's somewhat suckish, but I can see where publishers are coming from.

StuBurns

Banned
The timed exclusive Durango theory is kind of crazy at this point. If it was this year, that would make a little sense, but it'd be ridiculous next year.

StuBurns

Banned
Why do they have to 'promise' you can move your character over? What if it's intended that each release moves the universe of the game forward and your character is only intended to last two years?

Sanic

Why do they have to 'promise' you can move your character over? What if it's intended that each release moves the universe of the game forward and your character is only intended to last two years?

As cool as that potentially might be, anything of that nature would be overshadowed by the inherently anti-consumer nature of it.

StuBurns

Banned
As cool as that potentially might be, anything of that nature would be overshadowed by the inherently anti-consumer nature of it.
Why is it anti-consumer? You're not paying a subscription. You couldn't carry your Borderlands character over to the sequel, was that anti-consumer?

I'm not even saying they would abandon the character base either, I would be very surprised if everything doesn't carry straight over, I was just speaking hypothetically.

Sanic

Why is it anti-consumer? You're not paying a subscription. You couldn't carry your Borderlands character over to the sequel, was that anti-consumer?

I'm not even saying they would abandon the character base either, I would be very surprised if everything doesn't carry straight over, I was just speaking hypothetically.

This a bit different from Borderlands. They're pushing persistence and shared experiences, in a broad sense. It would be akin to forcing Guild Wars 2 players to create a new character for every expansion pack. Which, I might add, also has no sub. That aspect of it is irrelevant.

In one sentence, why exactly did they choose yesterday to 'reveal' the game when they had nothing to show, and so far from release

That's the thing. It's everyone else's fault for expecting a big reveal. It was a vidoc, which as bungie fans know is what bungie uses to discuss their progress. This vidoc was just to state their intentions and goals with the franchise.

StuBurns

Banned
This a bit different from Borderlands. They're pushing persistence and shared experiences, in a broad sense. It would be akin to forcing Guild Wars 2 players to create a new character for every expansion pack. Which, I might add, also has no sub. That aspect of it is irrelevant.
Could you carry your Guild Wars 1 character over to GW2?

pelican

Well, since the PS4 is rumored to be released in 2013 only in Japan, and 2014 in the rest of the world, I don't expect most, if any, of next-gen/multi-gen games to be released this year.

Why do people post rumours which they obliviously make up? There has been no such rumour concerning the PS4.

pelican

That's the thing. It's everyone else's fault for expecting a big reveal. It was a vidoc, which as bungie fans know is what bungie uses to discuss their progress. This vidoc was just to state their intentions and goals with the franchise.

While normally I would agree with you. This time Bungie marketed/hyped this announcement to much greater levels.

In a sense it has backfired.

Sanic

Could you carry your Guild Wars 1 character over to GW2?

No, but those games weren't pitched as persistent, connected products.

I can understand your point though, and if they're going to go the CoD route, then i'm totally wrong and i'll admit to it. I guess we have to wait and see more, as to figure out what kind of angle they're pursuing.

Now that I think about it more, i'm worried the game will fall into some kind of yearly upgrade cycle like CoD, plus microtransactions.

StuBurns

Banned
No, but those games weren't pitched as persistent, connected products.
I was thinking about this, I wonder if this would have been the case if so much hadn't leaked. We had the actual contract. They can't play coy and pretend we don't know everything about it's distribution over the next eight years.

Every game is planned with sequels now, it costs a lot to establish a franchise, marketing wise, technology wise, and asset wise. ND are pretending if TLoU does well, it'll possibly get a sequel, that's bollocks, from day one it will have been built so it can be iterated on. We just happened to know Destiny 2 is coming because it leaked.

The thing I'd like about the complete refresh every time is you can make real progression over the course of the games, and you can plan for the end from the start. When WoW started, Blizzard were expecting around half a million subscriptions, and presumably, for it to be running for not nearly as long. If you start from day one knowing you have to deliver four games, and four expansions, you can provide a much more fleshed out and paced experience. Can you imagine the ending of a ten year gaming saga? Something given to us in consumable chunks over all that time? It's one thing to finish a major franchise, it's another to end an online ecosystem in the name of telling a complete story.

TwIsTeD

you cant release an epic Bungie title in 2014 without it being on at least one "current" gen platform .... that would be a huge mistake

i453Akh2M1xRa.gif

Those running animations need a lot of work. Very bouncy and floaty.

Buy it on your 720...

Are we to believe that Bungie, a company that has zero experience in multiplatform development, is somehow developing this game on a minimum of 4 different platforms concurrently?

El_Chino

Are we to believe that Bungie, a company that has zero experience in multiplatform development, is somehow developing this game on a minimum of 4 different platforms concurrently?

The next-gen systems are going to be somewhat similar to develop for and if not maybe a bit easier. Also Bungie has been hiring a ton of people, all with different programming backgrounds.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Well this probably has the budget of 4+ regular AAA games, so yes. :p

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Scary.

They're a quality developer, But i'm sure this must be daunting for them internally. Pressure must be ridiculous.

And how much is regular AAA game? And does that include marketing?

Well contractually Activision capped the budget at $130 million before Bungie gets cuts in their royalty rate.

They're a 350 person studio working on this project for years on end though, and I have to imagine they're well paid, so it's probably quite the pretty penny by now.

Then they also have studios like DemonWare helping them out who probably aren't cheap themselves, along with all the infrastructure just to get something like this running.

I would put a normal AAA budget at $20-$30 million, though that has been going up. Uncharted 2 was $20 million though for a benchmark of what you can do at that level in the U.S.

PSGames

Wow. There's just so much about this game that has me scratching my head. The decision to announce it now, the fact that this is running on possibly present and next gen systems...? And it's not even releasing this year?

Maybe we are being set up to be wowed at the Sony meeting, but so far I don't know what to think about Destiny.
Are people forgetting this is an MMO? It makes sense for this to be on as many platforms as possible. Why wouldn't this be on current Gen as well?

DasMarcos

Banned
If this decision ends up panning out I will be mighty impressed with both Bungie and Activision. You should never rush out a game or prematurely set a release date only to delay it. This news just makes me want the game more and it'll probably be a fantastic send off for the current generation we find ourselves in.

This amount of time also shows the amount of fine tuning, polish, and work that is going into the title. I'll be ready whenever it's available to go, no doubt.

This seems to be a pretty common sentiment, but considering it's not coming out until 2014, I think it may have been wise to wait until they could really come out swinging with next gen gameplay as opposed to yesterday's overhyped and relatively underwhelming reveal.

I think after they invited the US press to one event and then the Euro press to another that it was fair to assume something big was happening.

Would be awesome to have Destiny and Halo 5 battling it out next fall. Honestly, I really dont mind if this comes out next year or 2015, just as long as they are able match the concept art and ambition they have shown for Destiny.

Top Bottom