• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny's raids will not support online matchmaking with random players.

GhaleonEB

It's because of MMORPGs. I was pretty adamant about not treating Destiny like a MMORPG (like I made some comments in the "only one area per planet" thread) until Mr. Scarab Lord came out with this interview showing me that Bungie actually considers Destiny a MMORPG.

Raids always get the most exciting and interesting mechanics. Everything else kind of exists just to prepare you for the raids. A large part of development time goes towards the raids. It's comparing the daily grinding and 5 person dungeons in WoW to Siege of Orgrimmar. It's totally different and SoO is infinitely more exciting and interesting as a grind than the other PVE offerings at 90.

Based on Mr. Scarab Lord's history and the interview and looking at other games with raids, I would have to believe that Destiny falls in line with MMORPG raid-based content design.

Which is why I said my last paragraph in the post you quoted. I think Bungie really needs to come out to show what else they have on offer other than vendor currency grinds.

His name is Luke Smith. You can drop the name calling now.

Bungie has taken some odd choices in their previous games too.

One I remember was how they treated people who disconnected from a match before it finished in Halo Reach. Did it enough times and they would straight up ban you from Multiplayer for a short amount of time.

That was met with a lot of backlash too and it pretty much failed from preventing quitters while punishing those who got randomly disconnected or quit a match because the majority of their team already left.

I do remember that... loads of times i'd be playing with friends and a match would disconnect and we'd have to wait for those one or two people to be allowed to re-join.

I believe in Bungie and really hope things get sorted out. I might actually wait and see how the launch goes before rushing to grab it now.

It's because of MMORPGs. I was pretty adamant about not treating Destiny like a MMORPG (like I made some comments in the "only one area per planet" thread) until Mr. Scarab Lord came out with this interview showing me that Bungie actually considers Destiny a MMORPG.

Raids always get the most exciting and interesting mechanics. Everything else kind of exists just to prepare you for the raids. A large part of development time goes towards the raids. It's comparing the daily grinding and 5 person dungeons in WoW to Siege of Orgrimmar. It's totally different and SoO is infinitely more exciting and interesting as a grind than the other PVE offerings at 90.

Based on Mr. Scarab Lord's history and the interview and looking at other games with raids, I would have to believe that Destiny falls in line with MMORPG raid-based content design.

Which is why I said my last paragraph in the post you quoted. I think Bungie really needs to come out to show what else they have on offer other than vendor currency grinds.

Raids having more interesting designs isn't really a requirement and WoW showed that in their Cata dungeons pre-nerf. Unfortunately, by the time they went back to that design, LK had already made the player population accustomed to easier dungeon and raid content, so they cried foul despite being told ahead of time that Cata was going to be harder.

Destiny is attempting to start hard first, so as not to have that problem but it seems people are still carrying baggage from MMO's, and specifically WoW as most MMO's that aren't WoW don't design their Endgame content to be accessible through matchmaking.

I can understand the concern about missing out on the better designed content but I feel like we don't know yet if that will really be the case once we play it. The thing is though, this isn't a gear check gate. It isn't a hardcores only gate. It's a social one. Which is why I feel like all that needs to be addressed is the communication and grouping tools available in-game.

Why can randoms be trusted to do those with Matchmaking? Someone might have a bad time.

Because they use 3 players, not 6 and likely don't require the same level of coordination as Raids. That doesn't make them inferior content. Especially if they reward the most powerul arcane armor in the game.

ColEx

People will just make PUG groups within their communities, or make a community specifically for PUG for raids. Give the player the choice to use matchmaking!

I think people are mis-identifying the problem here. It's not a switch that gets turned on or off for Matchmaking or not matchmaking.

It's that Bungie is building content that will only be available to 6 people working in tight co-operation. I mean, that's kind of nuts right? No games outside of the MMO space are doing experiences that absolutely require co-ordination in a co-op space. Especially no action games (Monaco comes close, but it's more of a loose goofy experience). The reason that feature is intensely exciting is the same reason I'll probably never play it.
I'm highly doubting that from what we have seen that it will require the amount of coordination bungie is promising. The game's cooperative depth goes as far as borderlands. A few skills and damage types and very generous regenerative health and revive mechanics. The only limiting factor is maybe time.

There are plenty of co-operative shooters out there that require much more coordination than what we see in destiny and are held together exclusively with randoms.

GECK

And no I'm not an elitist, I never raided much in my SWTOR days. I can say with confidence though that when I did with randoms, even just to fill a few spots in an otherwise guild filled team, it was awful. One person not following directions and communicating what they are doing can throw off the whole thing. You get a person in a raid who cant or wont communicate and your fucked. But at least on PC MMOs everyone had keyboards and could atleast text chat. Console matchmaking systems are full of people who straight up don't communicate in game chat, whether because they dont have a mic on or they are in party chat. All of those people would be dead weight in a proper raid. Which brings me to my next response...

Weird that you care so much about those poor random scums failing and/or beating your Clan specific developed content.

Good. That forces people to prove they can and will communicate. Consider it the first challenge of the raid. It weeds out all who never stood a chance (or would just hold back those that do) to begin with.

lol not an elitist huh

Saving those plebs from themselves huh. How noble of you.

You guys are members of NeoGAF, if anyone has the platform to find a great group of gamers to play with, its you guys. Is it really that hard? Honest question. Do you really need matchmaking? Don't speak for randoms either, I'm asking you, gaffers, specifically. With access to this site, and bungie.net, and wherever else you socialize, wouldn't you prefer to use these channels to find good players instead of clicking a button and hoping against all odds the slot machine spits out 5 good, mic using, sufficiently geared players that just so happen to have the same schedule as you?

People will be doing that anyway. They shouldn't be forced into joining message boards to play content when Bungie could easily implement basic, simple social and matching features that 90% of all MMOs have.

People will be doing that anyway. They shouldn't be forced into joining message boards to play content when Bungie could easily implement basic, simple social and matching features that 90% of all MMOs have.

Exactly. That is the main issue with this design choice.

Casual and "end game" just sounds so odd in the same sentence. But I was a big FFXI player so my experiences might be a little different. I think bungie made the right decision and I welcome the challenge. Building a raid team as we speak..

Few people actually know the nitty-gritty details of this particilar raid (and those that do are probably under NDAs). The IGN article says it requires six players. Let's say there is a puzzle that requires all six players to stand in six different exact positions and coordinate their actions. Realize that these experiences could be designed in such a way that one person could completely shut down your playthrough through lack of communication or cooperation. Such a type of experience is not fit for general matchmaking.

I'm not saying this is the case, I'm saying that we just don't know enough about what a raid is in Destiny to furiously demand such a specific thing. Adding matchmaking would be a formality; it's already in every other mode, and running in the background at all times. This is a very purposeful decision based on real results of player testing. Sometimes to create and enjoy unique and challenging experiences you have to make sacrifices.

Maybe it's only a time-limited gate, maybe when there are a large enough group of mature players to populate such a list, they'll make a list. Maybe not. This thread is full of armchair designers.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Considering how much they've been talking up the difficulty of this, I'm not surprised to see them make this decision. Sucks for anyone who can't get five friends on the same schedule, though.

They have group continue though, don't they?

frequency

Raids having more interesting designs isn't really a requirement and WoW showed that in their Cata dungeons pre-nerf. Unfortunately, by the time they went back to that design, LK had already made the player population accustomed to easier dungeon and raid content, so they cried foul despite being told ahead of time that Cata was going to be harder.

Destiny is attempting to start hard first, so as not to have that problem but it seems people are still carrying baggage from MMO's, and specifically WoW as most MMO's that aren't WoW don't design their Endgame content to be accessible through matchmaking.

I can understand the concern about missing out on the better designed content but I feel like we don't know yet if that will really be the case once we play it. The thing is though, this isn't a gear check gate. It isn't a hardcores only gate. It's a social one. Which is why I feel like all that needs to be addressed is the communication and grouping tools available in-game.

We'll see on release how it is. From what we know right now I feel no matchmaking is a bad decision but we won't know for sure until it's out. And it's not like people need to buy day 1 so if people are unsure they can wait and see how it turns out.

I'd still really like to hear more about end game outside of raiding though. Like a real in depth look at it.

I'd love to be able to do raids but I can't get 5 people on consistently. I'd rather stay with whoever I currently play with and just fill out the empty spots with randoms. Not because we want disposables but just to give more people a chance to see end game and maybe meet cool people along the way. I don't like having to use tools outside the game to do that for various reasons.

My favourite way to find new people to join guilds or whatever is to have them play with us and see first hand how good a fit they are.

Heh, it sounded like a condescending name given the context. I was just unaware of his many titles. Carry on!

I added "Mr." to try to show that I was using it respectfully. I guess I failed at that.

frequency

Think that made it worse, actually. Ha

Oh...

I know Luke Smith has posted in this thread so I assume he is reading. I'm sorry if I offended. I may disagree with no matchmaking but that's no reason to risk insulting anyone. I didn't mean to be condescending about it. I honestly do think being Scarab Lord is an achievement worth boasting about.

But I'll stop using it to avoid misunderstanding.

Dirtbag

Much like prior to the alpha, I trust this will be something that will make more sense upon actually playing it. Bungie invented matchmaking, I'm sure they've thought this through.

Gritesh

I think bungie is worried that by allowing random matchmaking into the raids it will cast a negative light on their game
Imagine everyone could just matchmaker their way into the raid, the first challenge 90% of groups fail at due to lack of communication or teamwork.. The Internet backlash would be atrocious, people crying that bungie couldn't design group content well enough etc.. Even though the blame would solely rest on the players.

Also by limiting this content to groups only they have the ability to be able to design challenging content that people won't blast through.

They can only go so far with teamwork based content when your allowing your user base to join random parties where teamwork and communication get thrown out the window.

I'm glad they are doing it this way I hope they don't go back on their word.

MADGAME

I think bungie is worried that by allowing random matchmaking into the raids it will cast a negative light on their game
Imagine everyone could just matchmaker their way into the raid, the first challenge 90% of groups fail at due to lack of communication or teamwork..

Explain to me how this can't happen when "randoms" or non-clan players form a team by scrounging. Matchmaking is not the facilitator of failure.

...They can only go so far with teamwork based content when your allowing your user base to join random parties where teamwork and communication get thrown out the window.
I think that's a defensible philosophy, provided that you create tools to foster the teamwork, party-building, and communication that you're looking for. You can't rely on everyone using other devices as a second screen or additional interface to your game to make it happen.

Much like prior to the alpha, I trust this will be something that will make more sense upon actually playing it. Bungie invented matchmaking, I'm sure they've thought this through.

They have never thought matchmaking through. It's all been handled poorly in the past by bungie, options always extremely limited and poor choices when it comes to playing content i actually want to play.

We'll see on release how it is. From what we know right now I feel no matchmaking is a bad decision but we won't know for sure until it's out. And it's not like people need to buy day 1 so if people are unsure they can wait and see how it turns out.

I'd still really like to hear more about end game outside of raiding though. Like a real in depth look at it.

I'd love to be able to do raids but I can't get 5 people on consistently. I'd rather stay with whoever I currently play with and just fill out the empty spots with randoms. Not because we want disposables but just to give more people a chance to see end game and maybe meet cool people along the way. I don't like having to use tools outside the game to do that for various reasons.

My favourite way to find new people to join guilds or whatever is to have them play with us and see first hand how good a fit they are.

I know where you're coming from. My "clan" in shooters is typically 2-3 other guys. And in most shooters, the MP is simply PvP so matchmaking is a necessity. But having played a bunch of other MMO's, I understand what Destiny is going for and I like the idea. I started playing MMO's before any of them catered to solo or small groups of players. Even then I played solo most of the time and I still do for the most part. I'm also a parent now so I don't have a ton of time to farm stuff or to devout to super long Raids and the like. So I really do get the point of view that you and some others are expressing. I just disagree that it means that Bungie should change their design to suit us.

The biggest glaring problem is the difficulty in forming groups. Having to use PSN or XBL messaging system to check if someone is wants to do something or just jumping into their party without saying anything isn't cool. They need at least a basic messaging system (I'd be happy with pre-wrtten messages that players could select from) and they need a simple and clear UI based way to form groups. Until that happens, I'll do what I have to though and will use PSN to message people who I come across who I mesh with playstyle-wise and add them to my friends list. Then I'll use that in addition to my current regular group to form Raid groups when the time comes.

This is what I was wondering... It's like they see potential criticism that wouldn't be their fault and they want to stop it before it happens.

So what this means is that everyone needs to join a neogaf clan or a clan made with friends and get others to join and then use the forums on the bungie website to facilitate raid nights and with who and what groups. Great idea. GAF West is like 75 people deep on ps4 and not to mention almost all of my psn friends are getting destiny, this is a non issue for me.

TP-DK

Bungie wants to be our mother. "No sweetie you're not allowed to talk to strangers, and no I don't care if you can't talk to them, you're not allowed to play with 5 strangers for such a long time!".

Very possible, but by not having it (and not having any grouping tools) they are going to have just as much negative light cast, see this topic as evidence.

Dirtbag

They have never thought matchmaking through. It's all been handled poorly in the past by bungie, options always extremely limited and poor choices when it comes to playing content i actually want to play.

LOL.

Never thought matchmaking through? They created it. It was their idea.
The more options the more you limit the player pool and the longer it takes everyone to find matches, its all pretty simple really.

Bungie wants to be our mother. "No sweetie you're not allowed to talk to strangers, and no I don't care if you can't talk to them, you're not allowed to play with 5 strangers for such a long time!".

Yea, both of these things bother me for that reason (not speaking to randoms at all or playing with them in raids). They obviously have a vision for the game and don't want it to be tarnished, but I think they're severely limiting themselves because of it. It's probably the same reason they got rid of proximity chat after Halo 2, which was literally the best thing ever.

Honestly raids may have been so designed around teamwork to the point where a single random without a mic may screw up the experience, but that's when you have to start questioning their raid design in the first place, not just the option for matchmaking.

so you haven't actually been reading peoples concerns
Actually, I have. Maybe you haven't, because if what I'm mocking hasn't been expilicitly stated, it's definitely been implied.

Oh look, more valid criticism. I shouldn't be so dismissive!

Reminds me of when they omitted matchmaking for HALO:ODST firefight mode. RESULT: I barely ever got to play it....
They hadn't fucking built it yet. There was no campaign or firefight matchmaking until Reach. I suppose Apple omitted the iPhone from hardware offerings until 2007?

I'm sure Bungie just dropped the ball on implementing a well understood feature in the main focal point of their 10 year game project. There's no chance they have a reason for doing what they're doing. /s

LOL.

Never thought matchmaking through? They created it. It was their idea.
The more options the more you limit the player pool and the longer it takes everyone to find matches, its all pretty simple really.

Matchmaking is one of my biggest peeves of console gaming. It's hurt gaming far more then it's helped.

Considering they created it look how awful default firefight is in reach and there is no way to change it and host it publicly. There is no way to just play something as simple as capture the flag in halo with out join some dumb map list of various modes I don't care about.

Matchmaking could have easily existed coexisted with publicly hosted unranked modes/maps that could have spawned more community involvement but they never allowed it. For that reason I have no faith in their design decisions.

Kaezul

Not happy about this at all. I don't know 5 other people who have PS4's. I mainly play with 3 other friends and only 2 of them has PS4's right now. So basically I'll be locked out of raids.

Not happy about this at all. I don't know 5 other people who have PS4's. I mainly play with 3 other friends and only 2 of them has PS4's right now. So basically I'll be locked out of raids.
There will be millions of people playing Destiny that want the things raids award. I think you'll be able to make friends or at least form partnerships just fine.

So you are campaigning for more of it and bitching about not having it?
Doesn't need matchmaking really but could coexist, server browser could be setup similar to borderlands or any other cooperative game for all I care. Filters by levels/ experience or whatever from joining your game it's not that hard to understand.

Spawnling

Interesting to see arguments on both sides of this. It's funny, the reaction from the community when we've already went through this phase of "give us this" and Bungie did so, only to see the Community react with "man, it was SO much better back then!"

And yes, I'm referring to Firefight.

ODST Firefight Endure specifically. There was no matchmaking support, you had to find your own players. Thus when Reach launch, Bungie announced that there would be "firefight matchmaking", I would always see threads and discussions related to "how firefight lost it's meaning" in Reach when it became a spamfest of FRG's and Rocket Launchers, for spawn killing enemies for points, rather than for survival.

Raids, are a test of not only player skill, but leadership. As much as Bungie is hyping up the difficulty of Raiding, it would seem impossible to complete one WITHOUT a coordinated team, that's the whole point. It should be impossible without that coordination, otherwise it's not a Raid.

I'm indifferent on matchmaking support. But even if this is something that comes to fruition later down the road, it seems like an activity that has run countless playtests and uncoordinated teams throw their controllers in frustration because there is no teamwork, only to create feedback saying "Raids are too difficult!", "Nerf the boss!", "Raids are BS!".

Granted, those that have already play tested it are under NDA and we really can't offer insight to how it actually plays out until 5 weeks from now.

ib1YMmGqrc6B6R.gif

frequency

I know where you're coming from. My "clan" in shooters is typically 2-3 other guys. And in most shooters, the MP is simply PvP so matchmaking is a necessity. But having played a bunch of other MMO's, I understand what Destiny is going for and I like the idea. I started playing MMO's before any of them catered to solo or small groups of players. Even then I played solo most of the time and I still do for the most part. I'm also a parent now so I don't have a ton of time to farm stuff or to devout to super long Raids and the like. So I really do get the point of view that you and some others are expressing. I just disagree that it means that Bungie should change their design to suit us.

The biggest glaring problem is the difficulty in forming groups. Having to use PSN or XBL messaging system to check if someone is wants to do something or just jumping into their party without saying anything isn't cool. They need at least a basic messaging system (I'd be happy with pre-wrtten messages that players could select from) and they need a simple and clear UI based way to form groups. Until that happens, I'll do what I have to though and will use PSN to message people who I come across who I mesh with playstyle-wise and add them to my friends list. Then I'll use that in addition to my current regular group to form Raid groups when the time comes.

That's fair. I think they seem set on this decision though so...
I may be able to do raids occasionally if magic happens and everything is just right. But I'll probably go into Destiny assuming I won't ever raid. It's disappointing to miss out on what I believe will be the best designed content in the game. Which is why I really really want to see what else they have on offer other than daily/weekly quests.

How different does the Nightfall challenges actually make it and things like that.

I said previously that I considered this basically online co-op Halo on Playstation. And I was happy with that and had some excitement for the final product after beta. But for some reason this interview changed my perspective and now I am concerned about having enough content. I think it's because Luke Smith said "the game begins at 20", which suggests to me that the road to 20 is pretty short. It's also a common phrase with MMORPGs (that the game begins at end game).

I guess I'll have to keep watching for Destiny news up to release. I hate having to say this (like it's some threat or something...) but depending on what Bungie tells us from now to release I may or may not have to cancel day 1. I don't really mean it as a threat but more just a statement of how important it is to me that Bungie be communicative about their game features in the coming weeks. I assume the PR cycle is going to ramp up though so I'll have to watch.

Note: I've also played a lot of MMORPGs. I think you have more experience than I do though. I started with FFXI when I was really young but then moved on to more user friendly MMORPGs after years of it.

Make friends at the Tower. Also, you know more than 5 people with PS4s; you're on GAF.

I get that they are essentially making a stand in this, but why cant the stand be "We will not decrease the difficulty.", instead of "We want to make it harder for you to try it."

Top Bottom