• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: "Duke Nukem in Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition is a Big Failure"

Drencrom

Wait, Gearbox literally just shoved Duke Nukem into this 'remaster' by replacing some goon in the original game with him?

What the actual fuck

I watched the first 5 mins of the gameplay and got a chuckle about how duke "does not know where he is", but then as other cutscenes played and there was more Duke dialogue I turned it off. Duke just is not funny anno 2017. He is made even less funny by being ram-rodded into a game with little to no care about making it actually gel.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I'd rather listen to Steve Blum any day than some washed up relic straight out of the early 90s

wipeout364

I thought it was ok but I wasn't expecting much for something I feel they added essentially as a joke. I don't get the bad delivery either; some of the lines made me laugh some sounded stupid pretty much Duke Nukem since the beginning. I am surprised people thought this was some sort of remake of the game with The Duke ( although that would have been pretty awesome).
Having played the game a couple of times in the past the Duke Nukem voice over is appreciated. I feel like People Can Fly are getting a bad rap due to the gearbox connection which sucks because they are a pretty solid developer; painkiller, bulletstorm and even their take on gears of war were all pretty enjoyable and I would love to see something new from them.

Edit: just saw all the Gray comments above, I totally agree if playing the game for the first time that Grayson is awesome definitely don't select Duke if you haven't played the game before.

This feels like Gearbox testing the waters for Duke. Am I the only one who feels like the only way Duke could ever be brought back is by making him the butt of a joke?

The problem isn't Duke in 2017, it's Duke as written by Gearbox in 2017. They're a comedy vacuum, a few minutes of playing Borderlands should make that abundantly clear.

This feels like Gearbox testing the waters for Duke. Am I the only one who feels like the only way Duke could ever be brought back is by making him the butt of a joke?

This has nothing to do with testing the waters for Duke, they realized they could mash 2 things together for absolutely no effort so they did.

Why would the only way to bring him back be if he's the butt of a joke, why not bring him back as he was originally portrayed?

The problem isn't Duke in 2017, it's Duke as written by Gearbox in 2017. They're a comedy vacuum, a few minutes of playing Borderlands should make that abundantly clear.

Exactly

Is there anyone out there (apart from Randy Pitchford) who has any interest in Duke Nukem at all?.

People that played the game that Duke became famous from.

Duke as most people know it today is basically an entirely different character than the one in Duke Nukem 3d.

Jawmuncher

It's such a shame. This game deserved better, since it's very fun.

This should have been a simple remaster priced at $20 that could have gauged interest in a sequel. Rather than the $60 it shouldn't be, and the duke DLC shenanigans make it worst.

Is there anyone out there (apart from Randy Pitchford) who has any interest in Duke Nukem at all?.

Well, yeah, just not necessarily for Duke Nukem as defined by Gearworks, as suggested by a poster above. Duke Nukem as defined by me is a very interesting product of a specific in-story environment that can be a catalyst for very interesting scenarios when combined with an appropriate cast of contrasting characters and a talented writing crew. And even in the raw form in DN3D he wasn't that annoying in the first place as some of the posters here would make him out to be.

Gator86

The idea of this is just profoundly stupid. Most people wouldn't have any clue who he is and most of the ones who remember won't care/will actively detest him. I'm struggling to think of a more irrelevant character to try and drag back into relevance in 2017. There's roughly a 0% chance of Gearbox being able to pull out the writing required to make Duke work even as a joke. Randy Pitchford is an idiot.

Mesoian

So y'all want misogynistic Duke in 2017?

I want the giant bomb version of Duke, which is misogynistic Duke doing what Duke do, but everyone around him calling him out on it, forcing him to have to go through a bit of personal self reflection.

You can do Duke now, but that is not going to be the same character throwing dollars at pixelated breasts.

SirNinja

At least Borderlands got the occasional chuckle out of me. Watching just a few minutes of Duke in Bulletstorm was an experience that was cute for about 90 seconds before it became unfunny. There's really only so much you can wring out of "Who's Gray? I'm Duke!" before it becomes apparent that this crossover was not the best idea.

Sou Da

Wouldn't it have been smarter to just make Duke a horde mode character thus cutting down on the amount of lines John would have had to record anyways?

The lack of accurate lip sync and not bothering re-recording lines from other characters to react to Duke is such a waste. Also, why even have Duke in the game where you can even use things like his Shrink Ray gun. This is just flat out cash grab. It's disgusting.

Hesh

Huh, I haven't visited Destructoid for years, didn't know they still had writers that would take publishers to task like this. Good on Peter Glagowski, hopefully he can get a job at a better outlet.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Is this a fucking joke? It looks shockingly awful.

mjlaughingreverse.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1t5hDxDbWU

Looks sloppy and half-assed as fuck. What a shame. Duke is the main reason I wanted to play this. Guess I will wait until it is on super duper sale. Like $5.

Oof, that Duke inclusion looks rough. I don't expect them to re-record all the original dialogue, but surely they could have fit him in better than this.

Edit - also, as someone else mentioned, I would rather play as Gray anyway. He was a well-written character who actually had an arc. I really liked his relationship with Ishi.

It's especially sad because the bulletstorm gameplay is actually a good fit for duke and his boot.

Should have just done a small separate duke campaign detached from the main story but uses similar gameplay.

A modern day duke with bulletstorm gameplay would be pretty awesome imo.

taoofjord

I mean, Gearbox sucks and has for a while. They have one good series (which I don't personally like at all) and everything else they do is shady, lazy, or uninspired. Expecting anything more will lead to disappointment.

And yes, Bulletstorm is a damn fun game. Hate to see it being talked about for the wrong reasons. I'd love a sequel at some point.

PaulloDEC

I really wish Gearbox had just left Duke out of this. The sorry state of Forever went a long way towards erasing any positive feelings people had about the character and the IP, and shit like this is just salting the earth.

Duke Nukem is just a dumb character. We're passed this. Duken Nukem cannot be presented as "Awesome" in today's world.

If I were to sit here and list the characters and IPs that were popular in the 90s only to return post 2010 with great success I'd be here a very long time.

The only thing stopping Duke from returning and being successful is a developer who cares enough to work out how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1t5hDxDbWU

Looks sloppy and half-assed as fuck. What a shame. Duke is the main reason I wanted to play this. Guess I will wait until it is on super duper sale. Like $5.

That seems really terrible, it looks like they put no effort in at all. What he says doesn't make any sense in that context or line up with what the other characters are saying to him.

This whole thing is made even worse by this an extra £5 DLC rather than an actual part of the remaster included for free.

dEvAnGeL

I legit don't understand since when peole started believing gearbox was the top of the crop in videogame development, they made a decent game in borderlands 1 and a great game in birderlans 2, aside from that everything has been shit or just "ok", seriously

Fury451

Banned
I had no idea they crammed Duke Nukem into Bulletstorm. That seems pretty random.

It makes perfect sense actually. Gearbox puts Duke in their game about a foul mouthed moron who shoots first and asks questions later who was essentially a Duke expy of sorts anyway.

Except they botched it because they're Gearbox. Which is sad, really, because they have greater potential. Also Croteam did it in a pretty hilarious fashion with Talos Principle and the Serious Sam voice DLC, so: monkey see, monkey screw-up.

PaulloDEC

So y'all want misogynistic Duke in 2017?

Why does Duke have to be overtly misogynistic anyway? Just leave that stuff out entirely and make a game about a goofy, wise-cracking action hero saving the world.

I know people have this idea now that a gross perspective on sex is an intrinsic, immovable part of the IP, but I can't agree. There were great Duke games before that idea took hold, and there could be great games after if someone had a mind to make them.

AJ_Wings

I've seen this covered in the Giantbomb quicklook and it's as just as half-assed & sloppily put together as you can expect from Gearbox. Plus, Steve Blum Grayson is a million times more fun to listen to rather than an actor who can barely muster up the will to give a shit about the performance he's giving.

Village

I don't see it happening. I think Borderlands' time will have passed whenever the hell it actually comes out.

I do , Desitiny is like GTA, Borderlands is Saints row.

They have two different functions. They may have started in the sameplace, but I feel like they have different functions.

DocSeuss

That actually pretty funny, the only reason I am even interest in playing BulletStorm was BECAUSE they replaced the main character with Duke. I found it pretty funny, its a mindless fun shooter and who does that better then Duke?!

If you think Bulletstorm is mindless, you should go back and replay Bulletstorm, jfc.

Yeah, exactly. I don't think Duke is a lost cause, but in the hands of Gearbox it most definitely is

There are interesting things to do with Duke Nukem in 2017. Gearbox are just interested in grabbing the lowest hanging fruit

gafneo

Banned
I mean, Gearbox sucks and has for a while. They have one good series (which I don't personally like at all) and everything else they do is shady, lazy, or uninspired. Expecting anything more will lead to disappointment.

And yes, Bulletstorm is a damn fun game. Hate to see it being talked about for the wrong reasons. I'd love a sequel at some point.
Gearbox sucks why? That Duke thing is a free cheap experiment. I made Duke Nukem in Saints Row 4 and it looked just as cheesy.

Top Bottom