• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I'm still not even exactly sure what in looking at?

Two thumb sticks on top of (presumably) a touch screen?

If you look closely at the far right circle stick, you can see virtual arrows around it and a very faint virtual "a" and more visible "b" virtual button.

What seperates this from a simply touch screen interface is the fact that the user can reconfigure the background imagery/video and virtual button layout.

Say Link gets hit with a fire spell, the whole controller face would erupt in orange flames. Or glow red for damage. Green for health.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
That power brick or data cable hanging out of the controller/device is classic Nintendo...I wouldn't be surprised if this is real.

Kodaman

lVUW6SO.png

:rolleyes

prwxv3

That's not really groundbreaking, it used a customized Miracast implementation IIRC. Haptics that can fully replace the tactile feedback of a button probably isn't feasible with current technology, and if it is, it's probably expensive enough to make the Wii U gamepad look cheap.

If they pull another wiiu (expensive controller bringing the price up) they deserve to have their console divison crash and burn.

RootCause

If it's true.

How can the mobile gaming detractors(no button movement) turn around and be supportive of this?
Seems very hypocritical.

Come on. This is beyond ridiculous. You're looking at a controller, knowing nothing about the system itself or the games to be released.
I mean, if this controller is real I'm a lot less interested in the console and I think it's fair to say others feel the same.

Boogdud

The sticks don't even look like they can move. And surely the screen would reflect of the white raised part?

Wasn't there talk of Nintendo using some odd pressure sensitive buttons instead of traditional sticks in the NX thread? I didn't think even they could be that crazy, but you never know.

Neoxon

If what the source is claiming proves to be true, then we should expect...
  • Haptic buttons on screen
  • Joystick force feedback
  • 2 buttons in top analog "roll" like a computer mouse
Force feedback for the joysticks aside, these line up with the other patents (almost too well). And the sticks kinda remind me of the ones on the Sega Saturn's analog controller.
Sega-Saturn-3D-Controller.jpg

If you look closely at the image itself, it looks like it says 62.[something]fps, which is a bit impressive for what appears to be a UE4 demo. And you can see some of the haptic buttons at work (note the B button & what appears to be an A button that's hard-to-see due to the in-game lighting).
e3Hnygp.png

It would be weird that it would be a 1 to 1 copy of the patent pictures. Those are usually drawn to illustrate and concept than a straight prototype.

antonz

People saying Patents generally don't show the real things are true but do not forget patents for the Wii U in 2011. Had a controller design that was 95% accurate to the final design.

In fact the Patent had a near final gamepad design but was still showing a console that looked like the Wii instead of the Wii U

Zocano

I mean that does follow along with the patent for the controller Nintendo filed not too long ago (forget when, giantbomb beastcast discussed it a bit but I forgot the episode).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I mean, if this controller is real I'm a lot less interested in the console and I think it's fair to say others feel the same.

That's fine, but saying it will bomb worse than Wii U based off a picture of the controller?

That's GAF-level after the Wii controller was revealed. Go back into that classic thread to see those reactions.

ugly as fuck and no buttons 0_o cmon Nintendo

unless they are on the back which would be kinda cool actually

idk man, wii u gamepad was a mess so idk, I want to believe lol

RowdyReverb

I showed it to my baby on my iPad and asked "Is this real, or is it a hoax?" She then proceeded to spit up milk everywhere. Take that as you will

Toxi

Banned
After much analysis, definitely fake.

BxaHkaK.png

Flip it over and invert the colors and you can see the image it's modified from.

raqhrhe.png

Doctre81

For new page since it may get lost on next:

The light could be blurred because they took a pic of a screen using a cell phone camera. I have recorded wiiu footage off my tv a couple times and it had some weird brightning only on the screen.

bomblord1

Banned

It's incredibly disheartening to know so many people feel this way when I fell in love with the design after seeing the leak on another site.

Now if the real controller looks even remotely like this I know people are going to riot when I want it to be similar to this

Like 99% negative reaction here.

I think it looks pretty awesome.

Same

Nanashrew

Banned
I mean that does follow along with the patent for the controller Nintendo filed not too long ago (forget when, giantbomb beastcast discussed it a bit but I forgot the episode).

I remember. People freaked out over it not understanding how patents even work and that it only described possible functionalities and ideas, nothing really concrete on design as plenty of patents showed off different controller types before too. I still don't believe this to be real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom