• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magusx

GUYS OMG THIS IS A MINDFUCK PICTURE!!!!
When you look at the side it looks like the stick is outside, and when you look when the black box is on top it looks like the sticks are inside!!
Think there is something wrong in my brain lol.
Omg can't sleep now xd

So a couple of things:
1. The rumor isn't from Duel Pixels or Geno. It's an independent source from Reddit.
2. The patent was for the controller.

Not saying it's real but those two arguments don't really hold water.

SandTorso

Can someone explain to me the purpose of having a screen behind where your hands will be 99.9% of the time? This looks awful.

But I haven't used it myself, so who knows? Could actually be good, but it seems bothersome to be covering up part of the screen.

Actually, just in case this thread pops up again 11 years from now, I am PRO oval controller! Different and new gameplay experiences are what we need more of, as long as at least Nintendo supports it with excellent first party games.

ultrazilla

Looks a lot like the patent, but it has the ring of truth to it- that screen's not something you can easily mock up.

I'd be surprised if the consumer product looked like this, but as a dev thing? Yeah, I can see it.

I can see this as a dev unit with the consumer model being different(slightly).

Ok insiders. Yes/No/No comment(ie yes) lol

EDarkness

I saw this on Facebook so it's starting to make the rounds. Not sure how I feel about it, but I'll wait until I get more information before I judge. I'd rather have buttons, though.

SRTtoZ

Can someone explain to me the purpose of having a screen behind where your hands will be 99.9% of the time? This looks awful.

But I haven't used it myself, so who knows? Could actually be good, but it seems bothersome to be covering up part of the screen.

Said every touch screen gamer.

Hex

Banned
So...uggo
5dd273a88bd269ebf7acc82b3d2161a5.gif

Vena

Either this would have to use some incredibly amazing new haptic tech, or it's still not even in the same universe as actual buttons.

Seriously, no buttons no buy. I don't do shitty touch controls on phones and I'm definitely not accepting them on a console.

This is generally how R&D and new technology work.

soultron

Banned
I opened the thread, looked at the picture, and almost fell over laughing.

So uncomfortable. Reminds me of the PS3 boomerang.
It's really trying to match the patent mock-up image, which is really meant to be a design abstract more than a 1:1 schematic of the look of the actual product.

pestul

Hmm. The sticker printed screen theory is definitely a possibility. That would be a much easier prototype for a prankster to make.

Nanashrew

Banned
I'm calling fake because the patents only describe functions on not actual designs. Not to mention only that image was going around despite the patent discussing other functions like cutting the free form display to allow for buttons and other forms.

This fake is following far too closely to the look of one specific patent though we have no design patent like we do of the Wii remote.

Finalow

If this is real and it really has no physical buttons... Nintendo dun fucked up.
you mean Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot ...

(endorsing an awful over-used gaf(?)meme so yes, I feel bad)

since it's Nintendo I'd say there is a (small?) possibility that this egg-shaped thing isn't fake. scary thoughts

hatchx

Banned
I had a cool idea awhile ago about removal d-pad, buttons, and analogs. So the player can customize the controller. Developers could even include their own buttons/analog/type-things, and it'd be cheap plastic that just stuck to the controller surface with, I don't know, magnetism?

I think it'd be a cool idea. Not ever game needs buttons, and it'd allow for a complete open-end to how we use the traditional controller interface.

If my theory/dream is right, this controller is just fine. There's no way Nintendo is releasing a non-button controller after-all.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I can accept this controller only if it doesn't cost more than $60. Lord knows we don't need a WiiU gamepad 2.0 all over again.

Xav

Now that I think about it. Playing Virtual Console games on that with some custom screen boarders would be pretty cool.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
That's not the controller, that's the handheld.

My uncle told me. He's getting a good laugh at this thread.

RootCause

Hope not. Not only does it look gross, it looks uncomfortable. The whole controller being part of the screen is idiotic too. Bleh. Holding hope for fake.

Protann

I had a cool idea awhile ago about removal d-pad, buttons, and analogs. So the player can customize the controller. Developers could even include their own buttons/analog/type-things, and it'd be cheap plastic that just stuck to the controller surface with, I don't know, magnetism?

I think it'd be a cool idea. Not ever game needs buttons, and it'd allow for a complete open-end to how we use the traditional controller interface.

If my theory/dream is right, this controller is just fine. There's no way Nintendo is releasing a non-button controller after-all.

I believe that Xbox One Elite controller has that sort of functionality. Seemed pretty neat.

gamz

GUYS OMG THIS IS A MINDFUCK PICTURE!!!!
When you look at the side it looks like the stick is outside, and when you look when the black box is on top it looks like the sticks are inside!!
Think there is something wrong in my brain lol.
Omg can't sleep now xd

I thought the same thing.

Vena

My problem is here:

The lighting is bizarre to my eyes. How can it have the same shading around where it should be bright on the side of the stick? The light is very bizarre.

Someone check with different eyes.

Nintendo is probably the last company I'd expect to usher in a groundbreaking next-gen technological improvement.

I mean, why would you expect Nintendo to be the one doing the R&D? Broadcom with Nintendo's interest/input did the R&D on the WiiU streaming tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom