• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

213372bu

Banned

I could see playing Fallout 4 on this, easily. What's so far-fetched about that?
The non-standard approach to this totally goes against the rumor that the NX is aimed at being able to play games at the same level as the Xbone.

There is absolutely no way someone is going to be playing CoD, Sports games, etc. with having to rely with emulated buttons that are to the bottom-left of the right thumb stick.

And if they aren't emulated buttons, why does the display blow out/make the button hard to see?

Like how are you supposed to play, claw-style with your right hand?

The face buttons can easily be replicated, but the lack of any triggers could be a problem.
Yeah, the trigger replacement is weird. It's just two really small nubs on the top.

An4rGxa.jpg

You see it now?

Lol I finally see it

Aces&Eights

Man, that little clock thing really has my attention. I mean, it has to be a battery charge counter. If this is fake, that's a damn nice little touch.

The non-standard approach to this totally goes against the rumor that the NX is aimed at being able to play games at the same level as the Xbone.

Everything Nintendo has done lately points to the idea that they are not going in this direction. They don't care that you can't play Xbone games with this controller, they aren't trying to court the CoD audience. At some point people need to accept that.

??? They already did better with the Pro Controller.

And Valve did better with the Steam Controller as well.

Seriously, some people here seem to treat the Dualshock design like some people seem to treat the US constitution as some kind of sacred infallible document when both are still rather flawed and could easily have numerous changes and improvements.

It's bizarre how hard some people in this topic are trying to believe this. Every argument has some random counter that doesn't even make sense.

Like posting random Nintendo prototypes as if that validates... anything? Somehow?
And yet none of those prototypes would have ever been seen by anybody outside of Nintendo's R&D/upper NCL management anyway, let alone some random guy risking massive repercussions to post a single enormously shitty JPG on Reddit.

Or posting Wii U patents forgetting that they were filed after the reveal and were patents on the core design of the entire controller, NOT random pre-reveal patents on specific concept, and ignoring the fact that we've seen completely different designs for potential NX controllers to demonstrate other concepts.

Or posting people's reactions to the GamePad and Wii Remote reveals for... some reason?

It's all random unrelated "counters" that do nothing to prove this isn't spectacularly fake, and just show people are bizarrely willing to cling on to some bullshit rumor with non-existent sourcing because uh... because.

It's already like, conspiracy theory logic.

When the controller is revealed and it looks nothing like this:
"Well, obviously it was just a prototype, so of course it would look different."

When the prototype designs are revealed during a developer interview:
"Well, naturally they had several designs, they probably wouldn't spend time showing all of them."

please be fake please be fake please be fake please be fake please be fake please be fake please be fake please be fake please be fake please be fake please be fake please be fake please be fake please be fake please be fake

ps3ud0 8)

I'm glad doing this is still a thing.

DCX

I'm definitely with the side thinking this is fake or a very early prototype. Either way I can only imagine Nintendo trying to sell this controller to 3rd parties while they are like "Lol what."

[/img]

I don't know if anyone has already noticed but there seems to be 3 buttons besides the B button.

This still doesn't change the fact that I am TeamFake.

It doesn't even have to be an actual screen for this sort of thing. Custom Arcade stick boards follow the same sort of functionality, just put a crisp picture underneath a clear cover.

The fact that the leak for this image is literally just one poor quality photo and nothing else is just to obfuscate the fact that it can easily be made.

3D print leaks from now on, folks.

Oersted

There is absolutely no way someone is going to be playing CoD, Sports games, etc. with having to rely with emulated buttons that are to the bottom-left of the right thumb stick.

And if they aren't emulated buttons, why does the display blow out/make the button hard to see?

Yeah, the trigger replacement is weird. It's just two really small nubs on the top.

We have 2 credible rumours. 2016 release and Zelda launch title. Thats about it.

jax

Banned

My guess is paddles. Buttons died in 2014.

Right about what? Seems like most people hope its fake is all...
Right about this being real, or at the very least a prototype.

213372bu

Banned
Everything Nintendo has done lately points to the idea that they are not going in this direction. They don't care that you can't play Xbone games with this controller, they aren't trying to court the CoD audience. At some point people need to accept that.

There is absolutely no thought into the controller though.

Which is kinda the point of what Nintendo has been doing since the GC.

Just throwing out "Nintendo is non-standard" doesn't make things make sense.

How are you going to play even Mario 1-1 by having the buttons awkwardly placed to the lower left corner of the right-analog stick. Better question, how are you going to hold it.

The fact that there seems little thought put into the controller reeks something a fan threw up.

It's bizarre how hard some people in this topic are trying to believe this. Every argument has some random counter that doesn't even make sense.

Like posting random Nintendo prototypes as if that validates... anything? Somehow?
And yet none of those prototypes would have ever been seen by anybody outside of Nintendo's R&D/upper NCL management anyway, let alone some random guy risking massive repercussions to post a single enormously shitty JPG on Reddit.

Or posting Wii U patents forgetting that they were filed after the reveal and were patents on the core design of the entire controller, NOT random pre-reveal patents on specific concept, and ignoring the fact that we've seen completely different designs for potential NX controllers to demonstrate other concepts.

Or posting people's reactions to the GamePad and Wii Remote reveals for... some reason?

It's all random unrelated "counters" that do nothing to prove this isn't spectacularly fake, and just show people are bizarrely willing to cling on to some bullshit rumor with non-existent sourcing because uh... because.

It's already like, conspiracy theory logic.

When the controller is revealed and it looks nothing like this:
"Well, obviously it was just a prototype, so of course it would look different."

When the prototype designs are revealed during a developer interview:
"Well, naturally they had several designs, they probably wouldn't spend time showing all of them."

who are you trying to convince? them or yourself? you're already comparing them to conspiracy theorists

I'd like to think this is fake, considering how turrible and unergonomic it looks, but it's Nintendo. I would not doubt they'd actually do something like this.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I still don't get the E.T. reflection being there. I mean, I see it, but don't get why it is there.

Looking at the pic I still can't tell if its the handheld or home controller lol.

Honesly, haptic buttons sound cool if they actually feel like buttons, and developers can put them anywhere for certain games.

I don't like how the sticks go over the screen however, which points to a controller since it'd feel super wierd on a portable, but need to see it in motion.

Also if real and handheld then rip in piece 3D and dual screens. I still want to believe damnit!

gai_shain

Its pretty late where I am and im really tired but what is up with the right "stick", my brain cant process the weird angle, it just doesnt make sense to me.

e: alright figured it out the button looked concave to me for whatever reason haha

shiroikaze

Neo Member
So which one of "Miyamoto's hobbies" inspired this thing?

Did he take up discus shooting? American football? Or, perhaps, science fiction? UFO hunting?

So many possibilities...

It's not irrational when Nintendo themselves struggled to come up with a reason for why that screen in the middle should exist until it was too late. The thing felt half baked.

the Wii U failed because the gaming sites reviewers who by then were strongly in the dudebro camp, either Sony or Xbots, destroyed the one game that was supposed to (and did a great job actually) showcase the gamepad and its uses (ZombiU) It was a great game but dudebros weren't having it. So they regurgitated the moronic reviews and made up their mind on the spot. Despite decent launch numbers, Ubisoft then took away Rayman Legends exclusivity away from the Wii U and most 3rd parties followed suit and stopped making games. Nintendo did not help themselves by not having enough software ready (though it wouldn't have mattered) and by its 1 year anniversary the Wii U was financially a failure. Maybe if Super Mario 3D World or Splatoon had been a launch title that might have helped. Maybe it came out in 2010 like it should have (a super wii so to speak) it would have killed.

It had nothing to do with the gamepad. Dozens of games showcase it and most games allow for off tv use. Face it, the tweens playing Halo and BF aren't going to be interested in Nintendo. Nobody is leaving PS Plus or Xbox Live where they get to play their mates in Fifa and Madden for Zelda. The SNES generation and before buys Nintendo. That's it. That's why the Wii U failed. Only reason the fad Wii did so well is because of the party use that got Grandma playing with her grandkids. Couch co-op and party games are also done. Mostly it's online or solo play.

Hopefully the NX will be something that appeals to "hardcore" gamers because if it's just a box as powerful as PS4 it will fail. It needs a gimmick to get PS360 gamers to take the plunge. It also has to be cool and have hype beyong belief. Graphics and hype is the way to today's gamer's wallets.

I can't even wrap my head around how you'd even touch the furthest left button without the thumbstick getting in the way. This just looks like an incredibly dumb design in terms of ergonomics.

jax

Banned
There is absolutely no thought into the controller though.

Which is kinda the point of what Nintendo has been doing since the GC.

Just throwing out "Nintendo is non-standard" doesn't make things make sense.

How are you going to play even Mario 1-1 by having the buttons awkwardly placed to the lower left corner of the right-analog stick. Better question, how are you going to hold it.

The fact that there seems little thought put into the controller reeks something a fan threw up.
Paddles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom