• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Champion

NNRSQFS.jpg
1st but probably not the last time seeing this.

Obviously even if this is real there is still a ton we don't know, but I'm trying to figure out who this appeals to or how this solves the issues the wii u had? How does this change the business trajectory that the 3DS/WiiU put them on?

kankki

Senior Project Lead, NX Hardware Design at Nintendo of Europe
Can a game engines/ graphics processors be programmed to render an oval image? If not I can see a lot of processing power get lost in the non-visible corners.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If the handheld and console share the same hardware, it definitely could give credence to that rumor a year or so ago that said Nintendo was hoping for something ultra-affordable in the console space.

Schnozberry

Unless they are on the bleeding edge of haptics, I don't think this is a realistic expectation.

Not really. Companies have been working on programmable haptics that can give the sensation of different textures for different things on screen now for several years.

Jon

I doubt this will be the final version of this controller, but I think if they truly end up going with the handheld/console hybrid, a screen like this will end up attaching into a controller shell and the final product will look something similar to the Pokken Tournament arcade controller. I am not sure what that would mean for the outright processing power of the handheld device, but perhaps it would leverage some sort of streaming function to better render the games. In "console-mode" the screen would only be used as a screen with perhaps touchpad responsibilities for extra control options.

bomblord1

Banned
I doubt this is the handheld though. A design like that would be impractical for showing actual gameplay. A controller with dynamically chaninging buttons though would be the best use for such a design.

Would actually be the exact opposite assuming the buttons change on the fly having to look up at the screen would mean you would completely lose track of the position of the buttons meaning a device that you are looking at the screen of would be the only thing that would make sense

ironcreed

Banned
i love the angry comments like "gimmie a pro controller or no thanks, Nintendo" lol such a closed minded approach to games, you don't need to hold a controller with all the buttons you know in all the places you want to enjoy a game, sheesh, a bit of innovation never hurt the industry did it

No, but it is certainly hurting Nintendo lately. I wager this sort of design is not going to do them any favors, either. Most people just care about their games, not weird ass controllers that they should have learned from after the Wii U.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The part of the tech demo we see on the controller screen is 6 seconds in though. What if the 62.72 was the framerate?

It's a big coincidence though. I think it more likely that it just displays the exact length of the video file.

Can anyone extract some data from the UE4 demo video to figure out it's exact length?

Obviously even if this is real there is still a ton we don't know, but I'm trying to figure out who this appeals to or how this solves the issues the wii u had? How does this change the business trajectory that the 3DS/WiiU put them on?

It allows them to incorporate mobile experiences as well as core stuff, though from the looks of it the core people aren't too happy. It's trying to balance both worlds.

This thread is almost a carbon copy of the Wii controller reveal thread. It's quite amazing.

The_Lump

Banned
Good point. If it were real, then wouldn't the screen be showing more of the image and not less?

It's a moving image. It could be taken from, say, 8 seconds into the clip as the camera has moved closer.

Basically, the image the IGN guy found is not necessarily the same frame as the one we see in the "leaked" image.

Nice find! If real, that may not be an FPS counter, as we assumed.

But the scene on the screen is from 7-8 seconds in...
Would it really just have the total length of a video of a demo slapped at the top of the screen?

Tevious

It's not real. There is absolutely no way anybody would think this would be a good idea.
At least with WiiU there was some method to the madness (tablets are the future? We'll just stick one onto the controller!).

This though? Nahhh fam, not a chance.

idk, I could see Nintendo doing this. They've arguably been out of touch with what their audience wants for a few gens. They obviously thought it was a good enough idea to patent the design in the first place. Maybe there is some gimmick that isn't immediately apparent that Nintendo is banking on.

21XX

Banned
But... Why?! Why? Why?

Nintendo, just... I don't get it. I was fully on board with the Wii and Wii U concepts, but this?

You were 100% in on those two concepts but this somehow is the breaking point?

If this is the real deal (or at least the real concept) it is, at the very least, interesting. That's enough to get me taking a serious look. Who the hell knows if the thing will deliver, but it's going to be a fun ride.

oti

Banned
So:

NX Console: Game is on TV, map and other stuff on this controller screen.
NX Handheld: Game is on the screen.

It sounds interesting but how are you going to solve the battery issue?

(And wowza this screen must be expensive to produce.)

It allows them to incorporate mobile experiences as well as core stuff, though from the looks of it the core people aren't too happy. It's trying to balance both worlds.

This thread is almost a carbon copy of the Wii controller reveal thread. It's quite amazing.

The core people aren't too happy, and will the noncore people be interested? Trying to get them to drop their phones and tablets seems like a losing proposition. It'd be stuck in that same purgatory that sunk the WiiU

The404ce

Banned
If true, this will be in the same line of Nintendo's logic, one step ahead, 10 steps backwards... No physical buttons are a HUGE turn off to me.

I'm probably the only person in the world who wants a normal-ass, GameCube-like controller. I'm tired of gimmicks, to be honest. The Wii U rarely used all of the gamepad features to full extent and I haven't used the 3D on my 3DS XL in a long time. Huh. Personal preference, I guess.

Yeah, everyone else in this thread hates normal controllers.

DSix

Banned
Looks like crap. Even with great haptic feedback it wont be as good as actually buttons.

Even worse If it is the home console controller, it'll bring back all of the issues of the U gamepad as if nintendo has learned nothing. Multiple screens is a stupid idea for home consoles.

Jarmel

Banned
So how much is this going to run? It's going to be super expensive if it's a handheld and still pretty expensive if it's a controller. That screen has got to be custom.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Not really. Companies have been working on programmable haptics that can give the sensation of different textures for different things on screen now for several years.

Could you link me to where these technologies are successfully mimicking physical buttons and used in combination with high-DPI displays in retail consumer products?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom