• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kouriozan

NX revealed

nintendo-wii-2010-futuristic2.jpg
Nah, did you watch the "EyePhone" episode of Futurama, that's what we are getting.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
How fat are your damn thumbs if you think they're gonna cover half the screen?

If this thing flops, I'm blaming fat people.

How do you hold a controller!? Why would your hands be over the screen?

I'm being forced to post my own image again, but:

Thumbs barely cover anything.

Screens are expensive and weird shaped ones even more so. Why would Nintendo spend money manufacturing something that will have a much smaller viewable area?

gafneo

Banned
Put rather bluntly, it isn't like Nintendo to leak exact hardware designs through patents like this. It would be a bit careless of them if they did it this time.

Rosti posted a cryptic comment that a lot of people took as confirmation, but then they clarified that comment with a post that could be read either way.

The tech demo on the screen was identified, though some details of that have casted some doubt on whether or not the image is real.

Basically, it could still go either way, but I'm personally leaning more towards fake right now.
You are still questioning? That is legit proof it's fake. Why would an image be so out of frame?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Guys, Rösti has not put some kind of hidden code in his message.

He's just using elaborated sentences so as not to explicitly state anything which might land him or his contact in bother.

And he's doing it very well!

Exactly. Plausible deniability.

After all the reading and thinking, I lean towards this being real, but an early prototype.

The_Lump

Banned
Screens are expensive and weird shaped ones even more so. Why would Nintendo spend money manufacturing something that will have a much smaller viewable area?

How is it much smaller? It's literally two tiny sections under your thumbs?

(The rectangle on the bottom image is just there to demonstrate clear area between analogue sticks.)

Gsnap

obviously I hope for face physical buttons. and optional grips for in house use as a pad.
I would love something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udkU101fFOk

Yeah, see that kind of thing is very exciting to me. Basically what I was describing earlier. Having transparent buttons that can change style based on the game? Imagine a new Mario game with the ABXY in Mario font. And a Zelda game where the buttons show tiny icons of the items you have equipped to those buttons. That's tons of fun! And I hadn't even considered handling the virtual console that way. That's awesome. It's like the game boy border on 3DS only it can cover the entire device, and the actual screen for playing can be changed to fit different sizes depending on whether it's gameboy or gamecube or anything in between. Seeing Mario 64 with the old 64 styled buttons.. man. I'll be pretty disappointed if we don't get something similar to this.

maxcriden

I'm also not caught up completely yet but I'll try to give a summary of what I've seen until someone makes something better, hope I get it right:

-DetectiveGAF found the screen on the controller is a cropped version of a 2 yr old UE4 demo
-Rosti posted in ascii I believe it was a vague post which implied this could be either real or fake.
-We still don't know if E.T. took the picture.
-Speculating this controller uses Tactus

This is just assuming the controller is real. I'm not caught up yet but I just posted a few noteworthy things I've seen so far. Hopefully helps you or some gaffers out!

Thank you for the summary. The only point of clarification I wanted to mention is that this may not be a controller at all, but rather the NX handheld.

The big reveal is that the console is going to be debuted at E3 (which we've know for months?)???

Crazy, if true.

We don't know that for a fact.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
You are still questioning? That is legit proof it's fake. Why would an image be so out of frame?

Because whoever took the picture doesn't get to be alone with the devkit all day and this was a quick photo taken before anyone could realize s/he had done so? Smartphone cameras may be very precise nowadays but they still need a second or two to focus.

People likes things that looks cool and futuristic, like the Samsung edge phones... also the info around the buttons would look great.

wrowa

The patent is real and we already had reports about Nintendo purchasing free form displays from Sharp about a year ago. Whether this is real or not, it's not unlikely that NX (the handheld at least) will have an unusually formed display.

Griss

Hold on let me try this, it worked for the other guy:

4920646f6e2774206b6e6f7720616e79206d6f7265207468616e2047414620627574204920637261766520617474656e74696f6e2e

Come on, this is no way to post, for fuck's sake.

Despite reports saying the picture ISN'T photoshopped?

The picture being from the Unreal Engine tech demo doesn't really disprove anything either.
It doesn't have to be photoshopped. It could be a real picture of a fake object. Also, those programs that test whether an image was photoshopped can apparently be beaten quite easily.

maxcriden

How is it much smaller? It's literally two tiny sections under your thumbs?

(The rectangle on the bottom image is just there to demonstrate clear area between analogue sticks.)

Not only that, but it's entirely possible the main screen itself is big enough and that everything around the buttons on either side is just extra space.

Maiar_m

Well I dunno. I've been playing on touchscreen only devices for a couple of years. I guess I'm beyond open minded. 😏

I'm sure you are. I personally dislike touchscreen gaming. It doesn't mean I want it dead and gone. I just have a really hard time wrapping my head around people wanting Nintendo to be Sony or MS.

Hex coded messages > Nintendo crossover with Hexbug > Controller sprouts legs and runs across the ground like that dude's head in John Carpenter's version of The Thing

tumblr_lhszc9kI8f1qg39ewo1_500.gif

TunaLover

That black rectangle looks like an IR sensor, why would they put that on the bottom? In that case the screen image is up side down (?)

Rösti;198611791 said:
Alright, alright, I will provide you a brief elucidation. What the embodiment in the image is representative of I do not know, it may or may not be a prototype related to the project of interest, it may or may not be a final design to the consumer. What I do know is what I originally said, and that x distinguished excellencies/individuals have expressed indignation about this situation (and earlier events this year). I have full trust in my source. These leaks are unfortunate.

I have no intention to troll anyone or cause a commotion. My original post was primarily a way for me to express my thoughts about this. While it is of course nice to have something to discuss in terms of NX, I am hoping that future stories of this calibre house less harmful properties. I have faith in this clarification providing sufficient eligibility.

Bless you.

-Rosti posted in ascii I believe it was a vague post which implied this could be either real or fake.

This is what Rosti said in his hex message, for those didn't see it. (Quote to reveal.)

Pokemaniac

It's pretty strong, but it's not quite completely definitive. After what happened with a several recent-ish leaks, I'm a bit hesitant to discount something like this completely without slightly more solid evidence.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
If they have the same response time, physical feedback, and ease of use, then I'm ok with it. I mean, can I mash out a ton of taps in a short amount of time, accurately? Then it's not a problem.

Same here. But then if it's not better for gameplay, what's the point? Are moveable buttons that big a deal? I just have a hard time seeing the appeal. Best case I like it the same (or close) to having physical buttons. Worst case I hate it as much or worse as I did waggle and lose interest in the system like I did with the Wii.

Anyway, maybe it's just the portable and I have no intention of buying another portable as I pretty much have to force myself to play my 3DS and Vita these days as I'd rather play on the big screen and have no use for/need for gaming on the go.

*Is catching up on thread*

thanks for the confirm Rosti.

Need to see more before I decide if I like it or not. The haptic buttons need to feel real, and hands covering the screen is still weird. But if Nintendo went this route then I'm confident they can pull it off.

If it is handheld I will majorly miss 3D and dual screens. Feels like a downgrade but need to see more.

My guess is that its the controller, and it has a shared library, the controller has a screen to emulate dual screens on the handheld is my guess. As much as I love it, I can see them dropping 3D but not dual screens. So if its a shared library, then this emulates a dual screen when you factor in the tv.

The_Lump

Banned
Not only that, but it's entirely possible the main screen itself is big enough and that everything around the buttons on either side is just extra space.

Yeah exactly. The only reason I've put the 16:9 area on there is to point out that you aren't losing any screen area.

Pokemaniac

*Is catching up on thread*

thanks for the confirm Rosti.

Need to see more before I decide if I like it or not. The haptic buttons need to feel real, and hands covering the screen is still weird. But if Nintendo went this route then I'm confident they can pull it off.

If it is handheld I will majorly miss 3D and dual screens. Feels like a downgrade but need to see more.

My guess is that its the controller, and it has a shared library, the controller has a screen to emulate dual screens on the handheld is my guess. As much as I love it, I can see them dropping 3D but not dual screens. So if its a shared library, then this emulates a dual screen when you factor in the tv.

You should read a bit farther before jumping to any conclusions.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I'm currently on #TeamReal, but if this is a console controller, it better be very cost efficient. They can not afford to repeat the Game pad again, or else this console will tank like WiiU all over again.

TheOasis

Another controller with a screen on it? If this is for the console then, just like the Wii U pad, It's going to be a huge pain to replace these things when they break or become faulty. Nintendo charges a mad amount of dollars for repairs

Also, I wonder if they would sell them separately because they sure didn't with the Wii U.

Cipherr

Looks like ass. Im not playing anything on something like that; Im not likely to anyway. After being really wrong about the first reveal of the DS Ill leave a small window in case Im wrong, but currently.... that looks like ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom