• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

antonz

The Patent design has handlebars so to speak on the controller. If real the finalized form may very well have them versus what we see with what would be a devkit prototype

Prototype gamepad had less buttons than the final.
Lacks handles and doesn't look comfortable to hold. This also looks very thin and the cable looks like a very clean made one so it doesn't look very dev Kit-y.
The picture displayed is also odd. Why would a game ever look like that without a gun or something being visible.
I also don't think Nintendo would've made a patent that looks identical to the final device.
You're not supposed to do that when making patents.

MADGAME

Why is it upside down in the OP?

QvqDe7B.jpg

Look at the B button in the top left of your flipped pic and the numerical readout at the bottom and tell me what's upside down.

i'd like to believe this is false because it's the worst thing i've ever seen -- but that patent tho...

If anything the patent makes it more obviously fake. It was a vague conceptual patent revolving around the free-form display. Not a patent for the entire controller's design. A pre-reveal patent filing for the general application of one piece of technology is not going to have a serious visual design attached to it. Here are other patents filed for Nintendo somewhat recently:

Doubt it's fake. Why would someone spend the time and money to make a real looking controller just to troll peole?

With that being said, I hope it is fake. Looks awful, although it could be a dev kit unit and the retail version will look different.

More like "i want to do this in my spare time for fun to test my skills and also fuck with people on the internet for kicks".

I hope this is fake. Damn, that looks unwieldy.

And yeah, how often are patents like that completely 100% representative of a finished product? Not often, right?

120v

its fake but i'll humor it for the sake of speculation... i wonder what the point of extending the screen onto the analogs would be.

Malus

The Patent design has handlebars so to speak on the controller. If real the finalized form may very well have them versus what we see with what would be a devkit prototype

Yeah I just noticed the lack of handles.

I'm on board the donut screen train (just a smaller, cooler looking Wii U gamepad), just give me physical buttons Nintendo.

Though RIP battery life

I'm going to go ahead and make a bet that it's real.

If I'm right, I'm going to buy myself a large pizza.

If I'm wrong, I'm going to buy myself two large pizzas.

Just because a patent has an example of what the product could be does not mean that the product has to look EXACTLY like the patent. None of the Wii and DS patents look remotely like the actual product in question.

So basically someone made a physical fake

Keby

Hahahahahahaha! what a crock of shit.

No way this is real. I'm ready to eat crow if this is exactly what it looks like.

Dystify

I'm not arguing whether this is real or not, but I find it surprising how there can be so many negative comments about it when no one even used it yet. Then again, lots of people call the Wii U gamepad bad too, when I personally love it.

Just because a patent has an example of what the product could be does not mean that the product has to look EXACTLY like the patent. None of the Wii and DS patents look remotely like the actual product in question.

So basically someone made a physical fake

That's kinda where I am with it. A well-made fake for sure, but I really, really doubt the final product (or even a test product) would look exactly like the patent.

it isn't

this is actually a wonderful post. nintendo does some weird experiments with controllers that never make it to market

And Joe Blow isn't going to get their hands on any of those mock-ups.

People pointing to random other mock-ups over the years saying "LOOK WEIRD THINGS" aren't even making a point anyway. Ok, weird things have been made. Sooooo... What the fuck does that mean here? This is also random and weird, ergo... true? What? So why do people keep doing it?

I'm not arguing whether this is real or not, but I find it surprising how there can be so many negative comments about it when no one even used it yet. Then again, lots of people call the Wii U gamepad bad too, when I personally love it.

if anything, i'm interested in it because it's so different. we already have 5 "traditional" controller consoles and PC on the market along with two handhelds. something new ala the wii is interesting.

Mr-Joker

Banned
My mind came up with 3 logical options;

1. It's fake and the person made it base on the patent.

2. It's real but it's the prototype with the final product being much different, plus the guy broke NDA and will be dealt with Nintendo's lawyers.

3. It's real and that's what the final product will be, plus the guy broke NDA and will be dealt with Nintendo's lawyers.

I leaning towards option one as no-one would be stupid enough to break NDA and think that they would get away scot-free.

The odd analog sticks actually give this 'leak' some credibility to me. The first renders of The WiiU's GamePad looked like this. Legit analog sticks seem to come last pretty often

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom