• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: PS4 controller prototype & devkit photo, [Up: New Photo/Info In OP]

LastNac

DS has put on some pounds. Remove 1/4 of the "gerth" and make the sticks convex and we might have a beauty on our hands.

One thing is for sure: PS4's FIFA will be the definitive version. I LOVE the feature in Vita where you can shoot by touching, with the touchpad being the net. Touch top right and the shot will be top right. It's very precise and very amazing.

Is that just penalties or during standard play?

You know the pricing of next gen Kinect? Please do tell. If you're basing it on current gen, then the 150 dollar part isn't accurate nor is the comparison accurate since that 150 dollar camera you're mentionned supports up to 4 players while Move doesn't. I don't want open the discussion Move vs. Kinect again because neither of them are cheap.

Who says I was referring to the touch screen only? The leaked images show what's probably a microphone, move and touch pad in a single controller. How is that any different from bundling Kinect in a box? And it's not about the level of force feeding this gen because how things look like as of now, both Microsoft and Sony will force feed you their gimmick crap, yet people despise Microsoft for it and applaud Sony for it.

Which people? I mean if you have none you're basically white noise.

Nintendo needs to sue here, I take seriously the idea that a company should be encouraged to create their own ideas versus leeching off of other successful products. On this controller I see the heart and soul of the WiiU and Dreamcast. Positioned in the center where everyone can see it is everything wrong with the gaming industry today. End this Sony.

Apple would love to hire you as their patent lawyer.

Nintendo needs to sue here, I take seriously the idea that a company should be encouraged to create their own ideas versus leeching off of other successful products. On this controller I see the heart and soul of the WiiU and Dreamcast. Positioned in the center where everyone can see it is everything wrong with the gaming industry today. End this Sony.

images

Correct. The 360 pad is one of the worst controllers ever.

Denial is fun.

Trevelyon

Form factor will undoubtly shrink over iterations as with the treyshocks, hopefully they keep the weight inline with the current DS3.

Hattori

Banned
hmm... I'm not sure what to feel, I was hoping for a bigger controller, oh well I'm still looking forward to the reveal. I hope that touch pad is like my MacBook trackpad :)

They're learning from their mistakes. If that is a microphone it will guarantee a lot of mics online from day one. If they choose to go the PSEye route then that will work as well.

Jb

I like where this is going. They seem to have adressed most of the complaints people had with the DS3 + yeah for Vita DPad + screen could be cool to display twitter feed/PSN messages/tutorials.

ASIS

Also, why is no one appalled that Sony stole the speaker-on-controller idea from Nintendo? Utterly despicable, they should be sued for that as well!

PaulLFC

Is that just penalties or during standard play?
Standard, and it's brilliant. One of the two great uses I've seen for the rear touchpad (the other being scrolling webpages in the browser without having to cover the screen).

The touchpad shooting can be disabled though, so I'd imagine it'd be the same if it ended up in the PS3 version.

Perkel

Banned
  • Microphone in pad looks like brilliant idea. No fucking headset needed and with proper hardware it can be really good (array function, noise cancelation)
  • Build-in headphones jack is also very good idea. Pads do have good battery after all (vibration) so audio should not be a problem.
  • Move thing looks like gimmick to me. If it is only for deph then there is some redeming quality but still... gimmick
  • Vita D-PAD. FUCK YES. Best D-pad ever.
  • Touch-pad. To little to say. Could work well with browser and other features of OS like slide to change page etc.
  • Good placement of select/start buttons. Love it and it is very good to reach in shorter time than standard start select on ps3 controller.
  • Thank god they didn't change to asymmetrical analogue sticks. If rumor is true then also no deadzone so big improvement over standard DS

KalBalboa

Banned
Who says I was referring to the touch screen only? The leaked images show what's probably a microphone, move and touch pad in a single controller. How is that any different from bundling Kinect in a box? And it's not about the level of force feeding this gen because how things look like as of now, both Microsoft and Sony will force feed you their gimmick crap, yet people despise Microsoft for it and applaud Sony for it.

I think it's again due to history. The Kinect really hasn't delivered on its promise and so far is only using voice-controls when it comes to appetizing core gamers. The Move has worked rather well since day one. Motion-sensitive Kinect games haven't had any real successes outside of dance gamers, and the Move itself was implemented into a lot of major first-party games well enough (Killzone, LittleBigPlanet, Heavy Rain, Resistance, and so on). It was also a cheaper investment and hasn't eaten up a lot of Sony's conferences over the years, whereas Kinect became the 360, to a degree.

I'm not defending either product here as much as I'm explaining why people on this thread wouldn't mind Move being built-in to their regular controllers. It'd be an afterthought for most, as this prototype looks like a basic refinement of a controller we've been using since 1994.

I hope the touchpad is multitouch. Two finger tap for friends list, three for sending message, four for chat window, etc.

This is actually very clever, I hope it will be like this, kind of like a Macbook touchpad or something.. I just have a bad feeling it will never be implemented for this type of practical usage. It will most likely only be used for specific games that allow you to use touch gestures.

If you think about it, it will be complicated to do both, it's either one or the other, unless those games that use gesture would feature a settings in the menu that will "Turn off touchpad default gestures" or something like that.

Ok, now you have to be kidding

Takuya

Banned
Disagree.

My thumbs sometimes bump together when playing the Dualshock controller due to the analog placement.

Seems like you shouldn't have that issue anymore given that the controller looks like it's a little bit wider this time around.

Liamario

Banned
In a few years time you're going to re read this post and you are going to hang your head in shame.....I hope :-/

Meanwhile ..........

AE-kaz-dance.gif

M.D

Are the triggers on the Move controller any good? I'm pretty sure they will use those for this controller.

Can't be worse than the ones on the DS3 lol

• [*]Microphone in pad looks like brilliant idea. No fucking headset needed and with proper hardware it can be really good (array function, noise cancelation)

[*]Build-in headphones jack is also very good idea. Pads do have good battery after all (vibration) so audio should not be a problem.

• Move thing looks like gimmick to me. If it is only for deph then there is some redeming quality but still... gimmick
  • Vita D-PAD. FUCK YES. Best D-pad ever.
  • Touch-pad. To little to say. Could work well with browser and other features of OS like slide to change page etc.
  • Good placement of select/start buttons. Love it and it is very good to reach in shorter time than standard start select on ps3 controller.
  • Thank god they didn't change to asymmetrical analogue sticks. If rumor is true then also no deadzone so big improvement over standard DS

Man, Sony is so brilliant with those ideas that Nintendo ripped them off with the Wii U Gamepad!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This is actually very clever, I hope it will be like this, kind of like a Macbook touchpad or something.. I just have a bad feeling it will never be implemented for this type of practical usage. It will most likely only be used for specific games that allow you to use touch gestures.

If you think about it, it will be complicated to do both, it's either one or the other, unless those games that use gesture would feature a settings in the menu that will "Turn off touchpad default gestures" or something like that.

I would actually prefer that it be reserved for the game's use.

OS gestures would muck up any gameplay interaction.

Only read first page and this page and it hasn't been brought up yet - Am I really the only one excited that they added speakers to the controller? This is a great feature on Wii and Wii U, does a lot for the immersion. Also perhaps it can also service as a mic? That way everyone has one.

Top Bottom