• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: PS4 controller prototype & devkit photo, [Up: New Photo/Info In OP]

Good observation but my guess is, instead of a microphone it could be speakers that have to do with the screen on the controller. Maybe like a wii controller?

Microphone can be used for specific audio and can also be used for multiplayer chat to be broadcasted on the controller instead of the TV, similar to that of Wii.

One request. I want "Codec" sound from the next Metal Gear to come from the controller, and you answer the call by sliding/tapping the touchpad. Do it, Kojima!

ekim

Btw: am I the only one who thinks the DS3 is too small? If I grasp it the way I can comfortably reach RL1/2 my thumbs are bumping on each other using both sticks. If I want to avoid that I have to wrench my fingers to reach L/R1. It feels really awkward.

The 360 controller however fits perfectly for me. I also love that its more weighty.

Zen

Banned
Disagree.

My thumbs sometimes bump together when playing the Dualshock controller due to the analog placement.

I would prefer it to be like the Xbox controller.

Picture of your hands holding the controller. There's no way your thumbs should bump together, unless you're wrongly placing your thumb directly on the top of the stick and that's not how you use convex sticks.

MisterHero

the ProgramPad is back!

1427015-acc_programzpjiu.jpg

Only read first page and this page and it hasn't been brought up yet - Am I really the only one excited that they added speakers to the controller? This is a great feature on Wii and Wii U, does a lot for the immersion. Also perhaps it can also service as a mic? That way everyone has one.

Not excited whatsoever for it to be a Wii-esque speaker. No thank you. I want the speaker to be for in-game chat and in-game chat only. Mostly I want it to be a mic for in-game chat.

DaBuddaDa

Nintendo needs to sue here, I take seriously the idea that a company should be encouraged to create their own ideas versus leeching off of other successful products. On this controller I see the heart and soul of the WiiU and Dreamcast. Positioned in the center where everyone can see it is everything wrong with the gaming industry today. End this Sony.

I think you've been playing too many JRPGs.

LastNac

Every one have their own taste. Some prefer convex and symmetrical location.

Prefer implies that I want something to be universal, which I don't. Honestly, I like my xbox controller for my Xbox games and my DS3 for my PS3 titles.

But honestly, the new sticks are hideous. It is like they wanted to appease everyone, the end result looking like some kind of "pigs-in-a-blanket" or an uncircumcised penis.

Picture of your hands holding the controller. There's no way your thumbs should bump together, unless you're wrongly placing your thumb directly on the top of the stick and that's not how you use convex sticks.
its very much possible by resting your thumbs on top of the analog head and pressing the left stick to the right, and the right stick to the left.
Basically, it can happen when strafing right and aiming left in shooters.

spats

Torgo from the PSNation podcast on twitter:

Tell us your secrets!

My guess: Sony didn't have time to cram the biometric sensor hardware into the controller, so the development controller has to be fitted with a sensor condom type deal, which is absent from the picture we have.

I guess it's the patented 3D camera within the controller? I don't know why it is there but I'm willing to find out.

Nah, those would be dotted around the touch pad and I'm not seeing it, but standard under-tv 3D camera sounds likely. Clickable touchpad is one pretty much confirmed feature that's not 'shown'. 2nd Triggers could also be hiding something.

Liamario

Banned
Are the triggers on the Move controller any good? I'm pretty sure they will use those for this controller.

Can't be worse than the ones on the DS3 lol

The trigger is quite nice and would suit a new dual shock nicely. They may need to be modified slightly, but they are perfect for move controller.

Perkel

Banned
360 d-pad is bad. Why so aggresive? I believe you're suffering from what you blame him for. Its his opinion that a lot of people share, similar to how everyone agrees that PS3 triggers are bad and 360 triggers are the best.

Because they are not triggers. Those are GAS PEDALS. Every racing game on PS3 used R2/L2 for gas/brake and it was wayyyy better than X360 controller triggers with click near end

jett

D-Member
Welp.

I can only hope that isn't final because that monstrosity is sum ugly. And what have they done to the sticks? That looks like a downgrade.

edit: yeah that can't be final, it looks fat as fuck. But those sticks maynes. :/ It has a mic at least. Seems like a cheap alternative to including a headset. Good enough for me.

Nintendo needs to sue here, I take seriously the idea that a company should be encouraged to create their own ideas versus leeching off of other successful products. On this controller I see the heart and soul of the WiiU and Dreamcast. Positioned in the center where everyone can see it is everything wrong with the gaming industry today. End this Sony.

Reminds me of that Japanese honor post a while back.

Top Bottom