• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: PS4 controller prototype & devkit photo, [Up: New Photo/Info In OP]

Izick

It looks so cheap and nasty. It's like that cruddy 3rd party controller that nobody wants to use at a party.

Where is the usual sexy Sony design? This is horrendous.

I Can't believe people actually think it looks good.

Yeah too bad this is the final product, as stated in the thread title you clicked on.

PaulLFC

cyC6kfL.gif
hahahahahahahaha

Nicely done.

Considering the small size of the DS3 controller, the rumoured PS4 controller doesn't seem big at all.

baSZmq7.gif

Assuming the face buttons will remain the same size.

It looks about 15 to 20mm larger than the DS. Which is really good, I don't have big hands but I also think the DS is small.

DBT85

I think for stereo cameras to sense depth accurately they would have to be quite far apart.

Why do they need to be far apart?

So a button click and no share button? Not bad but I thought the Share idea had promise.

The idea doesn't die because there is no dedicated button. It could be the first option on the screen when you press the PS button.

What never made sense to me was a button whos only function was to go to the share options.

lenovox1

Personally I'm not sure why its lighting up at all - why wouldn't they go with IR LEDs on the controller and an IR sensitive camera? Most camera are IR sensitive by default anyway

Probably for backwards compatibility reasons. And I mean being backwards compatible with the Move API. The system itself being backwards compatible another thing up for debate.

Fucking sticks still in the wrong place, y u no learn from ergonomics overlords sony.

Wii-U-Pro-Controller1.jpg

Not being a fanboy, (almost) definitely going PS4 next gen, just really don't like DS layout of sticks.

Oh well, the added bulk probably makes it a bit more comfortable.

edit: am sorry to bitch in this awesome thread
I would say most people who plan on getting a PS4 prefer having their thumbs down like they've always been.

But of course is Sony could release dozens of different color variants to the DS3 surely they could release some alternate stick-alignment variants as well?

Considering the small size of the DS3 controller, the rumoured PS4 controller doesn't seem big at all.

baSZmq7.gif

Assuming the face buttons will remain the same size.

Thanks for that, i was hoping someone would try to work out the size based on the buttons. If the buttons are the same size as on the ds3 then I'm pretty happy with it being larger.

B.O.O.M

It looks so cheap and nasty. It's like that cruddy 3rd party controller that nobody wants to use at a party.

I can't believe you can't read >_> Did you not read the thread title or what?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
If those are cameras, they are indeed 'quite far apart' on the kit. Which might suggest a bar-like camera in the consumer unit, something lower profile than the PSeye, but wider....like a higher profile wii sensor bar perhaps.

Jack_AG

Banned
Take a look at this pic:
8473793361_a97f12440b_b.jpg

I'm thinking that start and select still exist as buttons but are placed differently.

Noap. Those are flush. More than likely these are covers for screws.

I believe this is actually one of the first devkits and not a more recent version. The controller will be more streamlined when we see it next week.

cakefoo

I can't believe people can't read that it's a prototype for fuck's sake.

About the cameras in the devkit: someone asked about why they are put so far apart, the answer is that they are this way to give a much better sense of distance, size and depth!

VanWinkle

If those are cameras, they are indeed 'quite far apart' on the kit. Which might suggest a bar-like camera in the consumer unit, something lower profile than the PSeye, but wider....like a higher profile wii sensor bar perhaps.

Yeah, if they are 3D they need at least a decent amount of separation (certainly wider than the PS Eye) since they have to capture the 3D from a living room distance.

cakefoo

I wish the touchpad were a screen that could display context-sensitive buttons. Start, Select, Yes, No, Share, Map, Inventory, or even an onscreen keyboard.

DasMarcos

Banned
It'll be great to see the final version of the controller soon. Should open up some nice possibilities with the touch screen though.

DBT85

To give different perspectives

I would imagine that the distance they need to be apart would be dependant on the resolution of the cameras and the processing they can do in the images.

If they were only say 640x480 sensors then they would need to be farther apart, as there is less resolution to resolve the changes in perspective. If they were 1920x1080 sensors they could be closer together. Obviously the higher the pixel count the more effort it is to apply the same processing to the image, but it might need less because it was higher resolution.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Looks great. Just hope it's a tad bigger and they fix up the sensitivity on the sticks. Would love an xbox like placement alternative.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Err, shiny touch pads are SUPER common on laptops. Don't put too much faith in it being a screen.

This is the laptop I use (with shiny touch pad):
WLT147.solo.acer3-380-75.jpg

And with the click of the big button there, this appears on it:
ethoslead01.jpg

I'm guessing we'll see something like this on the controller as well.

...if it's not an OLED, that is......
That was my thought as well, since it'd make vastly more sense to have that be a rudimentary display of variable buttons than to be a touch pad that you use to (???) in a video game.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!

Portugeezer

doesnt look like the same perspective to me

It's not, the original photo is angled (you can see clearly from the analogue sticks) and I couldn't find a DS3 photo in the same angle. It's just a rough comparison anyway as we don't know the true size of things, but it looks like it won't be as big as some people make it out to be.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't think it will replace move. Perhaps it's there to help with some motions that sixaxis could not detect (yaw)... Hopefully with this addition we'll get gyro aiming like in golden abyss on vita.

The Sixaxis/DS3 does detect yaw, it has a gyroscope in it. It has almost never been used in games however (although there are some that use it), so that's probably why people don't know that. But yeah, the DS3 has as advanced motion sensing as the Wiimote with Motion Plus (except for the IR camera, of course). This glowing thing could, however, let the PS4 know the position of the controller with the help of the camera. So you could probably get pretty accurate pointing controls with it.

Top Bottom