• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid writer let go over including relevant information in a story?

diffusionx

Gold Member
Outing somebody is a HUGE deal, especially when they're trans - a segment of society who still struggles with acceptance - and he showed no appreciation for what it means to out her. It should be her right to reveal that information, and hers alone.

Chloe screwed up. That's not in question. But her screwing up didn't deserve this outcome. Anybody who thinks they deserved to know this is simple wrong in that assumption.

shidoshi! She put herself out there. She lied about where the money would go. Nobody was out there like "lol she's a trans guys" for no reason.

I'm not sure this was the deserved outcome, but it was an inevitable one.

Busaiku

Some of you people in this thread should be ashamed of yourself. While her scam wasn't acceptable, he disobeyed a direct order and put her life at danger by outing her as trans.

No he didn't, she attempted suicide prior to him posting this.
Her attempted suicide was the reason he posted this.

That doesn't make it right or anything, but people shouldn't be saying that her attempted suicide was a result of his actions.

Except the story isn't about video games. Its about a transgendered person saying that she needed money for surgery to save her life, when she actually was planning to use it to get a sex change. Peoples money was taken from them under false pretences.

If he didn't do it somehow this information would have needed to get out considering how important this person being transgendered was to the issue. It was the basis of the entire story and people were going to ask what their money was really for if it wasn't to save this girls life.

Exactly, I don't get why people think the core of the story should be left out just because it is a touchy subject.

If this was on a real news situation no one would have gotten fired... The poor guy is risking his entire life being destroyed because he outed a liar and a scam artist. And that is what she was. "But but but she tried to kill herself!" it doesn't change the truth of the matter. The guy wasn't trying to commit an act of malice, but I'm sorry, when you outright lie to people to SCAM THEM for money, you lose all right to any sort of moral high ground.

No matter HOW this story ends, it's a no win for ANYONE involved... but there is no reason why someone just reporting what happened should be fired.

nbthedude

1. He hasn't been fired yet.
2. The story doesn't need the details of what exactly she was planning on spending the money on. All he had to reveal was that she didn't need life threatening surgery, and then she could have decided if she wanted to go ahead to try to get the SRS on a separate fund raiser.
3. I am not defending her actions, but I don't think two wrongs make a right. Yes, the writer did nothing illegal, but that doesn't mean outing a person like that is morally right and something we should be lining up to defend.
4. No one's free speech has been infringed here. A company can fire someone for publicly taking a position they don't like. It doesn't remove that persons right to express that opinion. Destructoid are not required to provide any belief a platform.

Under normal circumstances, perhaps. But this is not really about "outing" her. That is a bi-product of revealing that she wasn't telling the truth and was misleading people donating money to her about what it was for.

This really has nothing to do with her being trans or outing her other than the fact that that is related to the story of how she was misleading people.

The guy did something his superiors told him not to do and disciplinary action was taken.

Also, I expect silence from Jim Sterling because anything he says can be used in court.

We're a very litigious society and this whole story is here because of said litigious nature.

Also, for those of you crying "Free speech" I give you the First Amendment with the important part bolded.

Source

When outing a liar and a cheat causes you to lose everything you own to lawsuits people will not do it. That's not right. That's not freedom of speech.

When Republicans regulate abortion out of existence they circumvent the legal protections offered by the supreme court, but it's perfectly legal. And a situation like this where journalists are not free to tell the truth about someone like this because of ancillary issues like lawsuits is just as wrong as if congress passed a law preventing it.

You cannot have a free society if people cannot speak their mind and call out bullshit. Whether it's because it's illegal or simply because it results in equivalent consequences.

Which would you rather? 1 year in prison or losing your home and job?

Omikaru

So then he's not a journalist then. I think people have a right to live their life as they see fit. And to each their own. But when you commit fraud and are exposed, no duh the details are going to come out.

I don't know how any journalist can do a story on fraud and leave out the relevant part of why. Just do who, what, where, when, and how (maybe, if you can dance around it)? The why is usually the post relevant part of any story. It's not journalism if you're going to omit wholesale sections.

You're wrong. He could've omitted that she was trans (and let's not forget he outed her by intentionally misgendering her of all things) and people would've speculated, and maybe SRS would've come up, but a lot of people would think the scam is the same reason for most other scams: greed.

The circumstances surrounding the scam are for Chloe and Chloe alone to reveal.

All of this, of course, is ignoring that he disregarded the fact that he was told not to report it. The guy needs sacking. He handled this situation with the sensitivity of a jackhammer.

kevinski

Banned
Dont bring yourself into the public then with fraudulent claims.

I completely agree. People deserve to know what their money is going toward. If you don't want to be outed as a transgendered person, then stick to a group that's supportive of that lifestyle and understands the importance of you not being outed and have THEM fund it. Don't drag another group into it and con them into funding something other than what you're asking for. I understand the severity of the journalist's actions, but I'm also supportive of the journalist's actions because he at least told people what the funds were really for.

Vidpixel

Terrible situation all-around. While what she did was clearly wrong, he didn't have to go about the situation in the way that he did. The Indiegogo campaign was already cancelled, so further exposing her personal information through Twitter was completely unnecessary. Yes, she had fraudulent aims with her campaign, but that doesn't excuse some of the tweets that he posted, which were completely unprofessional and out of line. With that said, no one is in the right here, no matter what the intentions were.

Marcel

This is basically the perfect storm for a piece like this. Having worked in journalism, there are things that happen that are totally out of your hands. Reactions you can't control. Likewise, there are moral implications for reporting on a sensitive matter as this. You have to be especially careful because as others stated, transgender people are discriminated against and sometimes targeted for attack. Personally, I don't believe anyone in the video game 'journalism' community should come anywhere near a story like this. They should have considered the witch hunts places like Reddit relish participating in. They should have considered the immature commenters who choose not to understand someone who has a transgender identity.

If it's true that the writer was warned off of including the gender identity by his editor and included it anyway, that's insubordination flat. Cause. If the story was cleared by the editor, then it makes for a trickier issue.

But let's face it, this is simply a tragic mess. It's a shame that the person felt so desperate as to scam unwitting people and attempted suicide over being outed, it's a shame that a writer's career is basically over, and it's a shame in 2013 some can't choose to sympathize with someone who has trouble understanding their own identity.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
The way it was said made it sound as if there are groups hunting, or actively looking for trans people.

I'm somewhat familiar with what a trans is, but that's it. I'm not very well informed on the subject.
I'm sure there are people actively hunting but that doesn't need to be the case to show how terrible this shit is. From the wiki linked above.

• Demetrio Apaza Mayta was tortured, beaten, burned, and stabbed to death by a mob of hundreds of people in El Alto, Bolivia for no reason other than her gender identity. The police claimed that they had no leads and arrested no suspects, although the murder took place in broad daylight.
  • Thapelo Makutle, a 23-year-old who was also known as 'Queen Bling', was an LGBT activist who got into an argument with men regarding her sexuality at a bar in Kuruman, South Africa. The men followed her home, broke into her apartment and killed her by slitting her throat. She was also mutilated; her genitals were cut off and put into her mouth.
  • Monchi de Jesús Crisóstomo de León was a sex worker who was murdered in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. The suspected perpetrator, a 24 year-old client, explained that he killed her in a fight that started after he realized that “she wasn’t a woman”.
  • Angie Zapata was a trans woman who was murdered on 17 July 2008, in Greeley, Colorado. Her death was the first ever case involving a transgender victim to be ruled a hate crime. Colorado is one of only eleven states that protect transgender victims under hate crime laws in the United States. Allen Andrade, who learned eighteen-year-old Angie was transgender after meeting her and spending several days with her, beat her to death with a fire extinguisher. In his arrest affidavit, Andrade calls Zapata "it", and during his trial a tape was played of a phone conversation in which he told his girl friend "gay things need to die". Andrade's attorneys used a gay panic defense, implying that Andrade suddenly "snapped" when he learned Zapata was not born biologically female. On 22 April 2009, Andrade was found guilty of first degree murder, hate crimes, and car/ID theft. He was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.
Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go fucking puke.

nbthedude

shidoshi! She put herself out there. She lied about where the money would go. Nobody was out there like "lol she's a trans guys" for no reason.

I'm not sure this was the deserved outcome, but it was an inevitable one.

Agreed. I respect people's privacy and I sympathize with the situition transgender people are in. But I don't think his story was about her being trans. That was a bi-product of revealing how the campaign as misleading it's contributors.

And yes people do DESERVE to know the truth of what they are donating towards just for the very intergity of the concept of charity and donations transparency is necessary. When you start collecting donations for something, you are the one that are putting yourself out there regarding the thing you are collecting money for.

If she were using the money for something else, even if she were using it to buy some fancy sports car, the fact that she was trans would have nothing to do with it and should have been kept private and respected. But the fact that it is directly the thing that the donation drive was about means that people deserve to know what the money is for.

Sophia

Exactly, I don't get why people think the core of the story should be left out just because it is a touchy subject.

It's called decency. There are ways to report the story and be honest about it without outing her as trans. Allistair Pinsof took to the worst means possible (social media) instead of letting a group more suitable handle it.

There was no reason to out her after her suicide attempt. He should have gone to the police as soon as he was being blackmailed, not to social media.

Can somebody explain to me how outing a transsexual puts that person's life at risk?

Because it's not a well understood situation, and people are hostile. Extremely hostile.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Again other than contacting her school and such for counseling and welfair I don't see why if it got to the point of blackmail he didn't contact the police on the threat of blackmail as well as the fraud. Then let the police take it from there.

Honestly he should have just gone to the police and she should be under full investigation/trial for it all.

Actually, does anyone have any articles from the wider media which resulted in a subject being outed due to the core of the story?

I'm trying to think of a few but having no luck at recalling - I know there's some, will edit if I find them.

Nonetheless, this is a real tragic mess at the moment and I really wish both parties well.

Jburton

Banned
Wat

Not outing someone as trans is special treatment now?

I would say of course not in a normal situation ........ unfortunately Chloe has linked her personal life with a public crime, the attempt to fund a procedure in relation to her gender status via public fraud unfortunately means that she is in a position where what would normally be solely her business and private has been brought out into the public domain via her actions.

In this instance details pertaining to the crime can not be suppressed due to her status as transsexual, people who are gay or straight would have all details pertaining to a crime like this brought out into the public domain, it is the same case for someone who is transsexual.

I understand that there is violence and hate directed towards people who are transgendered but to say her life is now in mortal danger is overblown at the very least and at the very worst creates the myth that all people who are transgendered are walking around under death threat, this is simply not the case.

Venfayth

If it's true that the writer was warned off of including the gender identity by his editor and included it anyway, that's insubordination flat. Cause. If the story was cleared by the editor, then it makes for a trickier issue.

But let's face it, this is simply a tragic mess. It's a shame that the person felt so desperate as to scam unwitting people and attempted suicide over being outed, it's a shame that a writer's career is basically over, and it's a shame in 2013 some can't choose to sympathize with someone who has trouble understanding their own identity.

This is basically how I feel. Unfortunate all around.

vareon

I'm thinking that if people want to respect her outing, she shouldn't tell a lie? I don't actually support the writer here, but the fact is that she lied about the campaign, and this is one of the consequences of lying--when the truth is out, it's not going to be pretty, whatever it is.

I never knew any trans, nor do I know any problem they had so I might be ignorant here.

aeolist

Banned
1. He hasn't been fired yet.
2. The story doesn't need the details of what exactly she was planning on spending the money on. All he had to reveal was that she didn't need life threatening surgery, and then she could have decided if she wanted to go ahead to try to get the SRS on a separate fund raiser.
3. I am not defending her actions, but I don't think two wrongs make a right. Yes, the writer did nothing illegal, but that doesn't mean outing a person like that is morally right and something we should be lining up to defend.
4. No one's free speech has been infringed here. A company can fire someone for publicly taking a position they don't like. It doesn't remove that persons right to express that opinion. Destructoid are not required to provide any belief a platform.
the only sane post in this thread

you're a good man plagiarize

Negator

Even if somebody else somewhere had outed her, that doesn't make it okay for somebody else to. It is Chloe's decision as to if people know she is trans or not, and if that is a detail that she doesn't want to be brought up, that should be respected.

If you want to keep your personal life private, you probably shouldn't try to commit fraud.

redlemon

Even if somebody else somewhere had outed her, that doesn't make it okay for somebody else to. It is Chloe's decision as to if people know she is trans or not, and if that is a detail that she doesn't want to be brought up, that should be respected.

But committing fraud does mean you lose the right to decisions like that. In the vast majority of cases you are completely right but there's no way you can knowingly deceive others and still expect the same level of privacy of your average person.

Goldmund

It's called decency. There are ways to report the story and be honest about it without outing her as trans. Allistair Pinsof took the worst means possible (social media) instead of letting a group more suitable handle it.

There was no reason to out her after her suicide attempt. He should have gone to the police as soon as he was being blackmailed, not to social media.

Because it's not a well understood disorder, and people are hostile. Extremely hostile.
You consider transsexualism a disorder?

Sophia

But committing fraud does mean you lose the right to decisions like that. In the vast majority of cases you are completely right but there's no way you can knowingly deceive others and still expect the same level of privacy of your average person.

Actually it doesn't. Contrary to popular belief, criminals do not lose all their rights like that. :p

You consider transsexualism a disorder?

Bad choice of words on my part, and I edited it. "Gender identity disorder" was the term for it in the DSM-IV, and that's what I'm used to. The upcoming DSM-V however replaced it with "Gender dysphoria."

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
no one would be standing up for me and saying i need my privacy and its not right

why is that? because im a straight white male?
Well, I called this.

No one would be standing up for you because you'd be granted that privacy implicitly through your privilege.

1-D_FTW

You're wrong. He could've omitted that she was trans, by intentionally misgendering her of all things, and people would've speculated, and maybe SRS would've come up, but a lot of people would think the scam is the same reason for most other scams: greed.

The circumstances surrounding the scam are for Chloe and Chloe alone to reveal.

All of this, of course, is ignoring that he disregarded the fact that he was told not to report it. The guy needs sacking. He handled this situation with the sensitivity of a jackhammer.

So then you're agreeing with me. You don't want it to be journalism. Because journalism is telling the story. And if the story is the money was used for a sex change operation, that's pretty effing relevant information.

Your argument is it's nobody's business. And with this I'll agree. Until you commit outright fraud. Then people have a right to known WTF just happened. It becomes a story and you lose the expectation of privacy.

Actually it doesn't. Contrary to popular belief, criminals do not lose all their rights like that. :p

And what right is that? Which right is this in the Constitution? Because newspapers violate this every day then. They constantly include the why in their stories. No matter what it is.

This is basically the perfect storm for a piece like this. Having worked in journalism, there are things that happen that are totally out of your hands. Reactions you can't control. Likewise, there are moral implications for reporting on a sensitive matter as this. You have to be especially careful because as others stated, transgender people are discriminated against and sometimes targeted for attack. Personally, I don't believe anyone in the video game 'journalism' community should come anywhere near a story like this. They should have considered the witch hunts places like Reddit relish participating in. They should have considered the immature commenters who choose not to understand someone who has a transgender identity.

The "outing" article was on the author's personal Twitter account. It was never posted to Destructoid itself.

Sblargh

Banned
Can somebody explain to me how outing a transsexual puts that person's life at risk?

I won't do number, because you can search the thread for them, but I'll try to explain.
She is already suicidal, if she lives in a place that doesn't accept her lifestyle, this possiblity increases significantly.
Trans people are particularly targeted by violent bigots, not necessarily organised hate groups (like the KKK or something) because they're so far from being accepted that most of the time all it takes are groups of "normal" men who happens to cross her path and decide that she living the way she lives is provocation enough to warrant a death penalty there and then.

The LGBT community still is very much a target of hate violence and transgerder people, in particular, even more so. Thus, outing someone is not the same as simply protecting her privacy because privacy is nice and cozy, but is is protecting her privacy because protecting her privacy is protecting her from abuse, both physical and mental.

Azull

I don't even Destructoid.

She tries to scam people by saying that she will die if she doesn't get the money (fucking disgusting since there are so many people out there legitimately in a position like that). She blackmails Alistair saying she will kill herself if he tells anyone. He reveals the truth AFTER she tries to commit suicide and yet he's in trouble?

It's not like he did it just because she's a trans, he did it because it was morally right to let everyone know why she needed the money and how she was scamming everyone. It blows my mind how people think he's in the wrong. It's not like he could tell everyone it was a scam without explaining why (she's a trans).

Omikaru

So then you're agreeing with me. You don't want it to be journalism. Because journalism is telling the story. And if the story is the money was used for a sex change operation, that's pretty effing relevant information.

Your argument is it's nobody's business. And with this I'll agree. Until you commit outright fraud. Then people have a right to known WTF just happened. It becomes a story and you lose the expectation of privacy.

There's journalism, and there's gossip. Journalism is reporting the fraud, outing her is gossip.

You don't need gossip to have journalism. Once you understand that, you appreciate why outing her is such a stupid thing, especially because it isn't necessary to the the story of the scam. Why she scammed people isn't relevant; it's only there because people are nosey. All we need to know is that she tried to scam people. That's it.

Xenon

That was not my understanding of the situation, but to be fair, I've been picking this story up in pieces during the week due to being at pre-E3 events. So, to be fair, I'm going on what information I understood as of this point, and am going to try to catch up on the full details later today.

Had she not tried to defraud people for money I would agree with you. But since her trans status was directly involved with the fraud in question she lost that right. I understand what you're saying but it is not some iron clad rule that needs to be followed regardless of the circumstances.

Domstercool

Well, I called this.

No one would be standing up for you because you'd be granted that privacy implicitly through your privilege.

Not if he was going to use the money to pay for illegal drugs or whatever.

It's what Chloe was using the money for that brought it to light. Sex would have never been brought up in question if the thievery was related to using it to buy drugs, or a new house. etc.

Sadly, it came up because of the topic of the lies told to the public.

nbthedude

Bad choice of words on my part, and I edited it. "Gender identity disorder" was the term for it in the DSM-IV, and that's what I'm used to. The upcoming DSM-V however replaced it with "Gender dysphoria."

There is no "right" to be closeted and for people not to talk about your sexuality. That nomenclature has no place in this conversation. Maybe you could say people should be "respectful" and not talk about people's sexuality, but it has nothing to do with "rights."

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Absolute nonsense.
Perhaps I should have phrased that you won't need anyone to stand up for you. That's more accurate.

Regardless of what she did her gender identity isn't the public domain. People acting like outing her as trans* is the same as outing that someone smokes or doesn't like pizza or voted a certain way or like it's at all like anything else need to stop.

Marcel

The "outing" article was on the author's personal Twitter account. It was never posted to Destructoid itself.

Ah, I see. Destructoid still has grounds then. Allistair represents their brand and if they take issue with an opinion or personal piece that he wrote that can be seen by the public sphere, they're within their rights to suspend him pending investigation or review. It's unfortunate that it all went down this way, but it's a risk you take when reporting on a very sensitive issue.

So... if someone commits a scam you think people shouldn't report it if it includes gender identity issues? Sorry... I don't buy it. You can't cover up the truth because it's unpleasant... If she didn't want the attention, she shouldn't have A: Pointed a giant spotlight at herself and B: Lied to get people to give her money. There were other ways she SHOULD have handled it if she couldn't afford the surgery but really wanted it.

This was a poorly conceived scam that blew up in her face, nothing more nothing less. This wasn't a witch hunt, she was causing financial harm to people who believed the best and WANTED the best for her.

Trans people are particularly targeted by violent bigots, not necessarily organised hate groups (like the KKK or something) because they're so far from being accepted that most of the time all it takes are groups of "normal" men who happens to cross her path and decide that she living the way she lives is provocation enough to warrant a death penalty there and then.

The LGBT community still is very much a target of hate violence and transgerder people, in particular, even more so. Thus, outing someone is not the same as simply protecting her privacy because privacy is nice and cozy, but is is protecting her privacy because protecting her privacy is protecting her from abuse, both physical and mental.

The problem I have with this argument is that it already was public assumption that she was transsexual, and violent bigots only really need assumptions (see bigots killing Sikhs in the belief they were Muslim, for example). I'm not sure what the practical difference is.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I'm sure there are people actively hunting but that doesn't need to be the case to show how terrible this shit is. From the wiki linked above.

• Demetrio Apaza Mayta was tortured, beaten, burned, and stabbed to death by a mob of hundreds of people in El Alto, Bolivia for no reason other than her gender identity. The police claimed that they had no leads and arrested no suspects, although the murder took place in broad daylight.
  • Thapelo Makutle, a 23-year-old who was also known as 'Queen Bling', was an LGBT activist who got into an argument with men regarding her sexuality at a bar in Kuruman, South Africa. The men followed her home, broke into her apartment and killed her by slitting her throat. She was also mutilated; her genitals were cut off and put into her mouth.
  • Monchi de Jesús Crisóstomo de León was a sex worker who was murdered in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. The suspected perpetrator, a 24 year-old client, explained that he killed her in a fight that started after he realized that “she wasn’t a woman”.
  • Angie Zapata was a trans woman who was murdered on 17 July 2008, in Greeley, Colorado. Her death was the first ever case involving a transgender victim to be ruled a hate crime. Colorado is one of only eleven states that protect transgender victims under hate crime laws in the United States. Allen Andrade, who learned eighteen-year-old Angie was transgender after meeting her and spending several days with her, beat her to death with a fire extinguisher. In his arrest affidavit, Andrade calls Zapata "it", and during his trial a tape was played of a phone conversation in which he told his girl friend "gay things need to die". Andrade's attorneys used a gay panic defense, implying that Andrade suddenly "snapped" when he learned Zapata was not born biologically female. On 22 April 2009, Andrade was found guilty of first degree murder, hate crimes, and car/ID theft. He was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.
Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go fucking puke.

hahaha

What the fuck are you saying now? This has nothing to do with that. I don't have any clue why just because the said perpetrator of a scam was both transsexual and suicidal makes everyone go "icky icky poo poo" and let it slide. The most immature shit I've seen in a while. You want equality? Then it doesn't matter if the person was straight, gay, bi, trans, whatever.

Goldmund

Well, I guess not everything about the DSM-V is worrying; it's been portrayed as the satanic verses in the media, bred in the dark, evil catacombs of pharmaceutical companies. I find the name easier to stomach.

EDIT:

I won't do number, because you can search the thread for them, but I'll try to explain.
She is already suicidal, if she lives in a place that doesn't accept her lifestyle, this possiblity increases significantly.

I should try to see further than the end of my nose, I mean my circle of ultra-liberal hipster friends and acquaintances. Such thinking seem so far from reality.

Also to everyone saying "she lost all rights to privacy after she committed fraud"

1: No
2: I'll go out on a limb and say the only reason she didn't outright say "it's for this" is because of this exact situation. It isn't accepted yet. Not even close. If we were a few years in the future, I bet it'd be different.

The problem I have with this argument is that it already was public assumption that she was transsexual,

i can't find the thread about her that was on GAF a few weeks back, but was it all assumption? people were talking like her being trans was a known thing. i'm particularly confused.

Jburton

Banned
Perhaps I should have phrased that you won't need anyone to stand up for you. That's more accurate.

Regardless of what she did her gender identity isn't the public domain. People acting like outing her as trans* is the same as outing that someone smokes or doesn't like pizza or voted a certain way or like it's at all like anything else need to stop.

No what you stated was a lie, if you commit a public crime, especially defrauding the public of money then your right to privacy, especially when the details of your private life are directly related to the fraud / crime become forfeit ........ wether you are white / black / gay / straight / trans.

Lets not start with this crap.

Guys, they should have respected nir privacy and instead ran a story revealing simply that "the surgery was in fact not for life threatening metal poisoning but instead for a different surgery that isn't life threatening."

Oh, wait, that's right. This is real life, and leaving out a core part of the story is... stupid.

That said, his tweets weren't really acceptable for someone as a member of the press.

EDIT: In regards to the topic of privacy: She has her right to privacy so far as she keeps things private. If she has told someone her information, or has in any way made that information public, there's nothing protecting that privacy. People aren't required by law to keep secrets.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness. Oh and for everyone to keep secrets super secret.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
2: I'll go out on a limb and say the only reason she didn't outright say "it's for this" is because of this exact situation. It isn't accepted yet. Not even close. If we were a few years in the future, I bet it'd be different.

Sorry, but that's a flimsy strawman. It doesn't matter if it was in the future: Point is, she lied about her intentions. Does it make it okay he gave the real reason? That's for you to personally decide in your own way, but the fact remains: She lied about her intentions and (personally) deserves the backlash she gets over it. If she was upfront about it instead of a long-term con pity-story, I don't think the backlash over that intention would be as bad.

Top Bottom