• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Detective Off - Batman vs Sherlock Holmes

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeathyBoy

Banned
For reasons Sherlock Holmes (from the original stories) is in the present day. So is Watson if that's where your inclinations lie. They're contacted by Jim Gordon (because why not) to find out who Joker really is once and for all. Batman, betrayed by another father figure (turns out Alfred was Ra's Al Ghul, go figure) gives a press conference where he says HE'LL uncover who Joker is, and do it for free... unlike Holmes, who's working for the secret stash of Joker-opium in the GCPD Evidence Room.

So it's Batman vs Sherlock Holmes - best detective wins.

Who wins? You decide. Kinda.

Zeppu

bSKFRIg.jpg

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Holmes. In all honesty Batman is a pretty terrible detective.

Yus. Also, with a bit of actual thinking involved, Wayne is pretty much the only person who possibly can be Batman. Cares for Gotham, knows people, rich enough for his equipment, able to actually produce it somewhere while keeping it secret, secretive enough, smart enough, strong enough etc etc.

Holmes wins, no contest.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
against idiots like Joker and the Penguin?
he wouldn't even need to leave his house to gather all evidence for a life sentence

Chariot

Well, I think most versions of Sherlock could outwit Batman, but he has a clear advantage of technology and assets (money, comrades, friends) to work with and isn't dumb either. So Bruce could get the upper hand.

Sherlock routinely pulls things out of his ass and makes extremely loose and unlikely connections which are only right because the author(s) design extremely contrived and insanely specific scenarios for him to be right inside of, like the world's shittiest general knowledge round at a pub quiz night. He can't even comprehend basic logic, because as any schoolboy could tell you (provided your school wasn't free), concluding that somebody likes being rear-ended by a gorilla based on observing them walk to the zoo with a bottle of Vaseline in their purse is induction, not deduction. I will not stand for this overrated charlatan, no sir. I prefer my stories to be serious, and highly realistic, like Batman.

Zeppu

Sherlock routinely pulls things out of his ass and makes extremely loose and unlikely connections which are only right because the author(s) design extremely contrived and insanely specific scenarios for him to be right inside of, like the world's shittiest general knowledge round at a pub quiz night. He can't even comprehend basic logic, because as any schoolboy could tell you (provided your school wasn't free), concluding that somebody likes being rear-ended by a gorilla based on observing them walk to the zoo with a bottle of Vaseline in their purse is induction, not deduction. I will not stand for this overrated charlatan, no sir. I prefer my stories to be serious, and highly realistic, like Batman.

I induce you, Mr Deaf Mutes, enjoy rear-ending kangaroos from your choice of avatar and your above-average knowledge of various uses for vaseline.

JohnDoe

Banned
Hold up.... Wuuut?!

Sami+

I induce you Mr Deaf Mutes enjoy rear-ending kangaroos from your choice of avatar and your above-average knowledge of various uses for vaseline.

He would have gotten away with it too if he hadn't made the mistake of mentioning a specific name brand!

vato_loco

But if they carry a book titled "Gorilla Lovin' for (Sadistic) Dummies", then it's settled.

Given the way these things to turn out in comics I'd say if you ran this scenario 100 tines you'd get 60 ties , 25 to Holmes and 15 to Batman.

Alienous

I believe I've deduced, just why you hide your face
You're shamed, and traumatised, and haunted by the vast disgrace
Of watching like a passive waste, as mommy died and daddy was dispatched with haste
"Holmes, you've cracked the case"
You're a batshit crazy basket case.

Holmes wins.

No dice. From the OP.

Only way to make this kinda fair is to have the original Holmes out of his element, blinded by his love of opium.

Awwwwwww :<

Sherlock still will win at Detective-ing .... except if it's a boring case. Then maybe Sherlock would be 2high2care ... :x

DeathyBoy

Banned
Awwwwwww :<

Sherlock still will win at Detective-ing .... except if it's a boring case. Then maybe Sherlock would be 2high2care ... :x

I was too haste before. Pick any version of Batman versus any version of Holmes. I mean it is Christmas after all.

Isn't it?

Chariot

While that might be true, I don't think Sherlock Holmes can take on Batman in a physical fight. The latter knows a gazillion martial art styles and has a lot of technical crap that enhances his fighting.

While that might be true, I don't think Sherlock Holmes can take on Batman in a physical fight. The latter knows a gazillion martial art styles and has a lot of technical crap that enhances his fighting.
Holmes would probably be two steps ahead. He's also a perfect shot, blindfolded, and a good hand to hand combatant. It's tough to say really, and both sides of the argument could be right. Holmes is most likely smarter and as a pure detective solving crimes, more competent. Bats may be stronger, possibly more street savvy, and more equipped to take on criminals directly.

Here's what I'd rather. Get Mike Mignola to resurrect Gotham By Gaslight and partner him up with Holmes. Let's make this interesting!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The real question is how things get shaken up when Detective Chimp enters the fray
detectivechimp.jpg

EDIT: Wait, DC's literal answer to Captain America is Rex the Wonder Dog?
Rex is a white German Shepherd Dog who spent his early years in the U.S. Army's K-9 Corps, alongside his brother, Pooch. Early in his training it became apparent that Rex had great potential, which resulted in Dr. Anabolus selecting him as a test subject for a super-soldier serum. After receiving an injection of the serum, Rex found himself endowed with great strength, speed, stamina, and intelligence. Dr. Anabolus was killed by a Nazi spy soon after, and as Anabolus left no records, this led to Rex being the only dog of his kind

Chariot

Holmes would probably be two steps ahead. He's also a perfect shot, blindfolded, and a good hand to hand combatant. It's tough to say really, and both sides of the argument could be right. Holmes is most likely smarter and as a pure detective solving crimes, more competent. Bats may be stronger, possibly more street savvy, and more equipped to take on criminals directly.

Here's what I'd rather. Get Mike Mignola to resurrect Gotham By Gaslight and partner him up with Holmes. Let's make this interesting!
Yeah, it's pretty difficult, since both are pretty supposed to be human, but have numerous extreme abilities and in the case of Batman there isn't even a definitive one. With Sherlock we can at least take the original as reference.
And I think Bruce would've been in the advantage because of his wealth, future technology and contacts. With just Bruce Wayne, the man without any of his assets, Sherlock would probably win. But not against the Bat, with all his gadgets, ranging from his suit and his vehicles, over things like the batcomputer and technology like Brother Eye to friends like mindreaders, aliens and magicans. Dr. Watson don't measure up there.
The real question is how things get shaken up when Detective Chimp enters the fray
detectivechimp.jpg
Isn't he behind? If I remember right, It's Batman, Ralph Dibny and then the Question for the best detectives in the DC Universe, right? (although Ralph is gone. Kind off)

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Sherlock Holmes is a goddamn genius. Batman runs around in a bat costume flinging bat shaped throwing stars at bad guys and solving crimes with fancy gizmos that his butler designs.

Chariot

Now that I think about Ralph again... the whole fucking Justice League had trouble to solve the murder of Sue (which was pretty pathetic). Would Sherlock been able to deduce that?

butalala

Guys, Sherlock doesn't use opium. He's a cocaine guy. Get it right.

also, I know in my heart that Sherlock would win if it came to it, but they would work together in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom