• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Detective Off - Batman vs Sherlock Holmes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chichikov

Sherlock routinely pulls things out of his ass and makes extremely loose and unlikely connections which are only right because the author(s) design extremely contrived and insanely specific scenarios for him to be right inside of, like the world's shittiest general knowledge round at a pub quiz night. He can't even comprehend basic logic, because as any schoolboy could tell you (provided your school wasn't free), concluding that somebody likes being rear-ended by a gorilla based on observing them walk to the zoo with a bottle of Vaseline in their purse is induction, not deduction. I will not stand for this overrated charlatan, no sir. I prefer my stories to be serious, and highly realistic, like Batman.
Yep.
Not only holmes uses induction (which is misidentified by Arthur Conan Doyle) but it is also a pretty shitty way to acquire the knowledge and the insight he's after.

But whatever, I used to love Sherlock Holmes when I read it as a young person and I've never bothered to re-read them for the fear that they wouldn't hold.
And hey, he did introduce me to both Mormons and the KKK, can't take it away from him.

DeathyBoy

Banned
The real question is how things get shaken up when Detective Chimp enters the fray
detectivechimp.jpg

EDIT: Wait, DC's literal answer to Captain America is Rex the Wonder Dog?

Detective Chimp figured out the ending to Lost in 2006.

Chariot

It could go either way.
Not with his advanced Batsuit. He gets thrown off buildings, get punched by monsters like Bane and Croc and constantly shot and stabbed without big damage. Let's face it, Sherlock Holmes isn't build as much on fighting as Batman is and that's ok. We're talking wits anyways.

With the tools and knowledge batman has, he'd win. You'd have to modernize Holmes for him to stand a chance. The advances in science and understanding since Holme's time is absurd.

Chariot

So, and what about Bruce buying all cocain in the world? I am pretty sure he can do that, seeing how much he can buy and still have his company grow and be ridiculously philanthropic.

Acorn

Batman uses brother eye or some other surveillance gadget/device that promptly bites him in the ass post "win". Batman wins battle loses war.

Sherlock Holmes would solve it in five minutes, run around not telling anyone for hours as he collects all the evidence (read:not really evidence) then spend the last 1/3 of the book with a long, boring, overwrought backstory to the crime, finally revealing the answer that he figured out in the first five minutes through...super powers, basically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom