• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Detective Pikachu Movie - Review Thread

Da-Kid

So... Seems it's good to great.

The Verge:
Detective Pikachu’s writing isn’t exactly strong or thought-provoking, but honestly, it doesn’t have to be. This isn’t a timeless work of cinematic genius. Instead, it’s a chance for Pokémon diehards to spend two hours inside a universe many of us have invested years in. It’s a hilarious, carefree, fun romp through a familiar place, and it’s just different enough to add a much needed twist to a formula that was growing tired.

Polygon:
The thing that kept me hooked throughout the movie was seeing how it depicted Pokémon. While initially I found the Pokémon designs uncanny in their attempts at realism, seeing them in motion sold me entirely. Cute Pokémon are a given; Pikachu is the poster boy of the movie, after all. But to see a Charizard spread its massive wings, or to behold a Ditto changing forms, or a Lickitung engulfing someone in saliva — to see the individual scales and fur, to see the burns and residue and gravity that come with taming actual monsters — that is pure awe.

That awe can be exciting and explosive in the thick of battle, but more often than not, it’s quiet and mundane, like having to strap your Pikachu into a car’s booster seat. The biggest compliment I can give Detective Pikachu is that it didn’t take long for me to wish I could live in it.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/5/2/18527380/detective-pikachu-review-pokemon

IGN: 8.0
Despite the film industry’s resistance to video game movies, Pokémon: Detective Pikachu has landed a critical hit. Sure, not everything goes off without a hitch, but the lifelike Pokémon provide a nonstop stream of delights to make the weaker aspects of the movie forgivable. Smith’s character gives the story an emotional weight and Reynolds delivers an endearing comedic performance that’s closer to his subversive Deadpool schtick than you’d expect. While video game movies haven’t had the best track record, this movie is by and far the best example of how to do one right.

Collider:
Detective Pikachu hits you with a rapid series of “Wait, what?” moments in the last 15 minutes or so, as if to make sure that, even if you weren’t paying attention throughout the rest of the movie, you’ll at least get some resolution. Is it an ending that everyone will be happy with? Absolutely not. Will most audience members be happy enough seeing super-cute live-action Pokémon frolic about that they won’t really care about the bonkers ending? Probably so.

I reiterate: See Detective Pikachu for the Pokémon, not the plot.

Rating: C-

Currently Fresh 68% with 22 reviews on Rotten Tomatoes

Majukun

so, general consensuns seems to be that has really good world building and fun factor, but not really good plot

doesn't seem the movie for me with this premises,but seemsthe world is wellmade,maybe they'll nail the sequel.

Makariel

Grace Randolph describes it as "[...] interesting mix of Roger Rabbit and Blade Runner [...]"

tenor.gif

DonF

Great! I'm super psyched for this. I saw the first trailer and I don't wanna spoil anything else. So thats all I saw.

Fbh

The Rotten tomatoes score actually went up to 74% with 34 reviews.
Sounds like it's a fun movie on its own but will obviously have added value for those familiar with the source material

Codes 208

It's a movie based in the pokémon universe, but not based in the Detective Pikachu game per-se
It’s likely not a 100% copy but everything from the talking pikachu that doesn’t know how to use electric attacks, Tim Goodman, his dad going missing, mewtwo’s involvement, and an imminent danger to the Pokémon universe is essentially the same synopsis as the 3ds game.

So I’d say it’s like comparing AMC’s the walking dead to the comic. Same series, different paths.

Last edited:
Went to an advanced screening last night and I enjoyed it a lot. Very campy at times but great fun. Was nice to see the representation of multiple generations on screen. Not a deep movie by any means but I thoroughly had fun. I did find some pokemon designs a smidge questionable but it was easy to look past them and just enjoy it for what it was.

Codes 208

Just watched it, loved it...plot was fairly predictable but the pokemon looked amazing, and reynolds easily carried the movie.
They made some changes from the game that threw me off but overall was a really good adaptation. Easily the best game movie for me.

Top Bottom