• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut [Up: Off-Screen play confirmed]

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
The more I think about the way they describe some of these features, the more I consider buying a Wii U. It actually makes the pad sound pretty neat.

The GamePad is more than a little neat. For those of us who dig what it's got to offer, I daresay it's one of the best controllers ever.

While Batman was an older port, it works as a stand-alone product much better than Mass Effect 3. Coupled with the announcement of Mass Effect Trilogy...why would any Wii U owner consider ME3?

i'd actually say interest in me3 was pretty good and it may even have sold at batman level until the trilogy was announced

So to add to the OP:
  • Boss fights have been revamped with new AI, new level layouts, and the possibility of beating the bosses without ever firing a bullet.
  • New Game+ with all augmentations carrying over
  • New augmentation that gives you an enhanced first-person view on the GamePad
  • Rebalanced energy system that includes the second battery refilling rather than just the first (except on Give Me Deus Ex difficulty)
  • Toss back grenades by swiping the touchscreen
  • Hacking, looting, sniping, and menus on the GamePad
  • Record notes with text, drawing, screenshots, or audio, and share them on Miiverse
  • Map notes
  • Off-TV Play
  • Tong's Rescue and Missing Link DLC included and integrated smoothly into the game (Missing Link originally had to be launched separately from Main Menu despite taking place during the main plot)
  • Preorder bonus weapons included
  • Official in-game strategy guide included in the menus, can be accessed at any time
  • ~8 hours of Director's Cut commentary included throughout the world
  • 45 minute "Making Of" documentary
  • Achievements from base game, Missing Link, and new Director's Cut achievements
  • Left-handed control schemes (four control schemes in total)
  • Multilingual support with English, French, Italian, German, and Spanish voice and subtitles enabled (can be mixed and matched)
  • Enhanced graphics from the Missing Link, including smoother shadows, improvements to lighting and fog, and antialiasing
  • Upgraded enemy AI

This is all really awesome stuff.
Even though we didn't get any new game content, we will probably get the sequel on Wii U as they've gone through a lot of effort porting over the Deus Ex engine.

Instro

If I hadn't already played it on PC I would bite, and I wouldn't be surprised if it hits other platforms anyway. I'm not particularly fond of the game either.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'm reversing my thoughts on this... if they cut a cool marketing trailer and put a bit of targeted spend behind it, I could see it being profitable with that kind of upgrade to the base game. Maybe. I mean, Batman AC hit 70k... though they ran TV for it.

Though if it goes the way of ME3U... yikes.

70k US only or WW?

majik13

The GamePad is more than a little neat. For those of us who dig what it's got to offer, I daresay it's one of the best controllers ever.

even if it is just off tv play. I would buy most multiplats on wiiu just for that feature. Not to discredit everything else they are doing with the pad.

Surely these new improvements won't stay exclusive. A simple patch could put make some of these things available on other platforms.

The_Lump

Banned
Because it's a game more in line with Nintendo owners taste than this type of game. But if they admitted that, and admitted that they really only own a Nintendo platform to play Nintendo games, they wouldn't be able to bitch when yet another developer says they're not bringing a game over that they may want to play - such as a Grand Theft Auto or what have you.

Wow. Talk about hive-minding/mass generalisations...

Isn't there quite a lot of improvments/additions to MH3 Ultimate? And even so, everyone is fully aware it's not a new game and would prefer a new installment instead.

As far as Deus ex goes, I've seen most people here praising this directors cut if anything. Where are people complaining? Most of the people bemoaning it don't sound like the 'Nintendo fans'to me. I'm a Nintendo fan and I'm thrilled to bits with this news :)

ozfunghi

i'd actually say interest in me3 was pretty good and it may even have sold at batman level until the trilogy was announced

The only reason i didn't pick it up yet, it was probably "the" launch game i was looking forward to most. I'll get it when it hits bargain bin price though. Same for Batman, which is now 15 pounds on Amazon. I'll be ordering it some point this week.

I don't mind old ports, i don't even mind paying (nearly) full price if the effort put in is worth it. I do mind being taken for a fool though.

The only reason i didn't pick it up yet, it was probably "the" launch game i was looking forward to most. I'll get it when it hits bargain bin price though. Same for Batman, which is now 15 pounds on Amazon. I'll be ordering it some point this week.

I don't mind old ports, i don't even mind paying (nearly) full price if the effort put in is worth it. I do mind being taken for a fool though.

me too, i was fairly interested myself and as a wii only owner i'd never got to play any of them but thought they seemed worth getting into, the trilogy killed my desire to buy it, handily i got a copy free with my wii u still not got round to playing it for more than 10 minutes though

Weng

Perhaps because this is a thread on Deus Ex and not Monster Hunter...

I am getting this game, it is freaking amazing and I am looking forward to the revamped stuff.
My point was that it's strange people keep complaining about late ports at full price but nearly nobody is complaining about MH3U (neither here nor in the other Wii U threads). MH3U is also a late port (very late) at full price, just like Deus Ex, Need For Speed, Batman, ME3,...

And another thing that I'm wondering: music albums and movies get re-releases with additional content and/or remasterd at full price (or a even at a higher price) all the time even though the original release is still available at a lower price, even for the same "platform" and there are still people buying these re-releases.

The bonus are great, indeed. But how will perform? I hope they don't fuck up the framerate like ME3 and Batman were and don't cost 50$ or this will not sell.

The_Lump

Banned
The bonus are great, indeed. But how will perform? I hope they don't fuck up the framerate like ME3 and Batman were and don't cost 50$ or this will not sell.

Well hopefully, seeing as this is supposedly the sane dev that did ME3 port, they'll have got the hang of the hardware y now. They'd technically be one of the most experienced WiiU devs out there, lol.

CrisKre

Your point was old games shouldn't be full price, that's basically what you were saying. Apply the same standards.

Listen, Wind Waker is one of my favorite games ever. If I had a Wii U, I would get that? Probably. Would I get Deus Ex? Fuck no.

But if I did, I'm not going to sit here and blow smoke up people's asses as if why third party games not selling is one big game of operant conditioning by a super informed user base that is nitpicking apart any small difference they can find on another platform; and not the fact that the userbase bought the system to play Nintendo games and little else.
The truth is somewhere in the middle dude. This enhanced port will most likely not enjoy the marketing the main release of the game got. The casual players won't be aware of is release most likely. The informed players, which will know it's coming out, may or may not support it depending on more informed parameters. How well did releases like RE 4 ps3 do? Or even bioshock ps3. How much did that sell? That's somewhat of a more fair comparison than wind waker (even though re is a much larger franchise than de)

evangd007

My point was that it's strange people keep complaining about late ports at full price but nearly nobody is complaining about MH3U (neither here nor in the other Wii U threads). MH3U is also a late port (very late) at full price, just like Deus Ex, Need For Speed, Batman, ME3,...

Probably because Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate has more new content than most sequels do these days.

Surely these new improvements won't stay exclusive. A simple patch could put make some of these things available on other platforms.

There's no way in hell they'd give it all away for free, and little reason to patch it too, unless they really value more sales on those platforms @ $20 or less.

So to add to the OP:
  • Boss fights have been revamped with new AI, new level layouts, and the possibility of beating the bosses without ever firing a bullet.
  • Rebalanced energy system that includes the second battery refilling rather than just the first (except on Give Me Deus Ex difficulty)
  • Record notes with text, drawing, screenshots, or audio, and share them on Miiverse
  • Map notes
  • Off-TV Play
  • Tong's Rescue and Missing Link DLC included and integrated smoothly into the game (Missing Link originally had to be launched separately from Main Menu despite taking place during the main plot)
  • Official in-game strategy guide included in the menus, can be accessed at any time
  • Achievements from base game, Missing Link, and new Director's Cut achievements
  • Multilingual support with English, French, Italian, German, and Spanish voice and subtitles enabled (can be mixed and matched)
  • Enhanced graphics from the Missing Link, including smoother shadows, improvements to lighting and fog, and antialiasing
  • Upgraded enemy AI

this actually sounds awesome, and the official in-game strategy guide being available at any time in the menus is really sweet

I seriously think I will pick this up as I haven't played this game yet. The $50 price isn't going to last, it will drop to $30 in no time after release

Well hopefully, seeing as this is supposedly the sane dev that did ME3 port, they'll have got the hang of the hardware y now. They'd technically be one of the most experienced WiiU devs put there, lol.

i'm quite interested to see what their next game will be, i'd guess another wii u port hopefully something a little more timely though

majik13

it will probabaly be fine considering those games were made on in flux dev kits with little documentation and in a short time period. I bet they have learned a lot since then.

I have also heard those performance issues were over exagerated or only in certain instances. But I have played neither on any console.

TheNatural

My Member!
A remake isn't the same as an enhanced port. That's a stupid comparison. Not to mention, you don't know what they're charging for WW, and can't just discredit the fact that Zelda is more popular than DE. In fact, there are a wealth of reasons that make that comparison nonsense.

Also, I would say that the type of people to buy consoles at launch usually are well informed...

Wind Waker isn't a remake. Upgrading the textures and doing some "fixes" is more than the list of the things for this game in the OP?

And the irony is many of the same people are claiming the Wii U userbase is well informed to know that 360 or PS3 have some minute extras, but at the same time beating the drum about market confusion and people not knowing what a Wii U is compared to the Wii is hilarious.

I was one of the ones out there selling this shit during the holidays, and the handful of Wii U purchases were soccer moms coming in buying it for their kids for Christmas and had more purchases of Wheel of Fortune Wii U than Mass Effect. You have no idea what the Wii U demographic is.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I have to say, the full list of additions and improvements is impressive. I kind of wish I hadn't played through it twice already but anybody playing it for the first time is in for a treat.

CrisKre

Wind Waker isn't a remake. Upgrading the textures and doing some "fixes" is more than the list of the things for this game in the OP?

And the irony is many of the same people are claiming the Wii U userbase is well informed to know that 360 or PS3 have some minute extras, but at the same time beating the drum about market confusion and people not knowing what a Wii U is compared to the Wii is hilarious.

I was one of the ones out there selling this shit during the holidays, and the handful of Wii U purchases were soccer moms coming in buying it for their kids for Christmas and had more purchases of Wheel of Fortune Wii U than Mass Effect. You have no idea what the Wii U demographic is.

We don't know the exact feature set of ww hd. But by all accounts, a remake of a 10 year old game with at least a significant graphic update in a beloved franchise that has a history with the Nintendo audience is not the most ideal comparison here. Compare it with something like bioshock ps3 or re 4 ps3. That's somewhat more fit

Would you say you are a Wii U Demographics Expert?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
This game seemed kinda neat to me way back, but I never really pursued it. This seems like a good opportunity to give it a shot.

Anyone want to tell me why it's good?

The_Lump

Banned
i'm quite interested to see what their next game will be, i'd guess another wii u port hopefully something a little more timely though

Yeah the 2nd wave of games, even if they're ports, will be interesting. We'll be starting to see what developers have managed with final devkits for a start, plus if they've had experience already that should help.

Uhh, I'd say completely redoing aspects of the visuals including a new lighting system and other changes that we probably haven't heard about constitutes a remake. I'm not sure why you're even clinging to a game we barely know anything and posing hypothetical about it...

Also the people confused comparing the Wii to the Wii U probably aren't the people who currently own it so I'm not sure what your point is. But hey, it's my anecdotal evidence against yours so we really shouldn't go down that route.

VariantX

So to add to the OP:
  • Map notes
  • Off-TV Play
  • Upgraded enemy AI

As much as I've said I think porting this game to wii u seems to be a lost cause, there is simply no way I can argue against that list of improvements and additions over the base game. If all late wii U ports were like this game and Nfs:MW, from the start, I'd probably be a Wii U owner today.

TheNatural

My Member!
We don't know the exact feature set of ww hd. But by all accounts, a remake of a 10 year old game with at least a significant graphic update in a beloved franchise that has a history with the Nintendo audience is not the most for comparison here. Compare it with something like bioshock ps3 or re 4 ps3. That's somewhat more fit

Ding, ding, ding. This is my point.

The point is, people aren't going to buy Deus Ex, Mass Effect, Assassins Creed, and so on because there's all these people sitting on the internet nitpicking what is or isn't in it compared to other versions. People aren't buying them because that's not the type of games that sell to Nintendo's demographic.

No one is playing some kind of videogame operant conditioning when they decide to buy a game. They go buy it, because they wanna go play the fucking game, not "well this company DESERVES my money, so I'm going to buy it!" They want to go play Legend of Zelda. They don't want to go play Deus Ex. If they did, they would have a 360 or PS3.

The Wii U owners bitching about third party support never had any intention of buying the games in the first place, they're just looking for some excuse to complain when Rockstar says Grand Theft Auto isn't coming, or Konami says Metal Gear isn't coming. Nothing more. The ones complaining probably never even played the original Deus Ex on PC.

majik13

the original IP was funky barn

wee-bey-gif.gif

Wow the salt all over their Facebook over this haha.

Why are only the PC guys bitching about this? I've heard maybe one suggestion of a 360/PS3 upgrade.

People need to get over it and maybe even be, Iunno, happy for the Wii U getting an upgrade to a good game?

It's only an upgrade until it comes out, and bombs. Then you'll have three dozen Wii U owners making excuses saying it was a horrible port and bombed because everyone knew it didn't have a green alternative costume option that was in the 360 version or something. You know, like every other third party game that comes out.

I just followed your conversation with GrotesqueBeauty and others back to this point, and I'm struggling to understand the need for it.

People were down on the port until this thread and the reveal that actually it looks like a good job. There are plenty of Human Revolution fans in here saying they want to pick it up, and Eidos are already getting requests for ports... What evidence or reasoning gives you carte blanche to suggest that a significant amount of people on the forum will turn sour on it if sales disappoint?

Is it because it facilitates some tired, baseless argument you want to peddle? That some posters only care about their console-player in a console-war? That there is "no audience" for certain games on Nintendo platforms? Point us to the evidence for either conclusion.

The truth for games on any platform is this: if people learn of good games, believe they will be fun, and the games represent good value - people will buy them. Reasonable development efforts and marketing are required to convince people of that, and to educate and inform them - but by and large, people buy in to good products. All of the early third party ports for this machine so far HAVE been lacking or have fallen short in various ways. Personally, I've enjoyed some of the supposedly flawed ports myself (Batman, AC3 -- I think Batman is the best version of the game), but NFS:MW and this game appear to be the first ports with some real added content and effort on the developer's part to warrant some interest from those who've played the games before. I don't see what makes you think people will treat the latter games like the former... or what makes you think they'd want to. Those here who've told me this was one of the best games in the generation should surely be happy that people who haven't played it yet, will now get to. Nintendo console owners of a certain age and taste should be looking at this and feeling relieved that the dreary port schedule at least has one more potential gem...

I don't see why everything here has to be squabbling, generalisation and character assassination. That's what that whole conversation read like.

sfried

I'm pretty sure this is gonna be another Razors Edge situation. Except this game is liked.

I'm thinking the same thing too. I don't see how Deus Ex HR on Wii U would be a bad thing considering the overhaul. It certainly beats having no Deus Ex on a Nintendo console.

CrisKre

The point is, people aren't going to buy Deus Ex, Mass Effect, Assassins Creed, and so on because there's all these people sitting on the internet nitpicking what is or isn't in it compared to other versions. People aren't buying them because that's not the type of games that sell to Nintendo's demographic.

No one is playing some kind of videogame operant conditioning when they decide to buy a game. They go buy it, because they wanna go play the fucking game, not "well this company DESERVES my money, so I'm going to buy it!" They want to go play Legend of Zelda. They don't want to go play Deus Ex. If they did, they would have a 360 or PS3.

The Wii U owners bitching about third party support never had any intention of buying the games in the first place, they're just looking for some excuse to complain when Rockstar says Grand Theft Auto isn't coming, or Konami says Metal Gear isn't coming. Nothing more. The ones complaining probably never even played the original Deus Ex on PC.

Ding ding ding! My point is that these ports of two year old games arent going to be big sellers irrespective of the platform they release on and making am assumption about the platforms audience as a result of their sales is asinine. The expectations should be low because of the nature of the product (and is lack of marketing). Not wii us audience.

shouldn't the WW HD comparison be, I dont know compared to other HD remakes? And not enhanced ports.
Of course, but..people are stupid. WW HD in terms of quality and changes look like it'll shit on any HD remake ever made. And we still dont know alot about it.

edit: Well people are not stupid just unknowledgeable :p

Yeah, except for the fact that an audience liking one type of game doesn't mean they don't like another. You act like fans of WW and DE are mutually exclusive which is completely baseless.

Not to mention your second point...I feel like you're just trying to rile up people. Obviously the people complaining are the people who would want those games on the system. I'm not sure what line of logic allowed you to arrive at the conclusion that they're complaining just to complain

sfried

I guess the question isn't "Are people going to buy it" but "Are you going to buy it (at some point)". People are already portbegging this to be on other platforms but stuff like GamePad features and Off-TV play, play Miiverse integration make it scream that if they ever do try to release a Director's Cut on other platforms, they're going to have to remove said features just to make the quick buck.

In other words, it seems more time and effort has been involved in it than, say Mass Effect 3. It kinda feels it was worked on from the ground up for the WiiU rather than shoehorned (compared to other ports).
Ding ding ding! My point is that these ports of two year old games arent going to be big sellers irrespective of the platform they release on and making am assumption about the platforms audience as a result of their sales is asinine. The expectations should be low because of the nature of the product (and is lack of marketing). Not wii us audience.
They would have to spam ads heavily for this. That or cleaver marketing. They need to show the Wii U exclusive features, then maybe cut quickly to say stuff about it being remastered/redesigned segments.

MDX

You think the kids who got the WiiU as a Xmas present wanted Wheel of Fortune?

Another NeoGAF Expert™. This one is a Major in Audience Demographics and Consumer Behaviour, brought to us by the University of Anecdotal Videogame Sales.

Top Bottom