• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut [Up: Off-Screen play confirmed]

Yagharek

Ive played it a bit on PS3 and 360, and could never get the hang of the shooting mechanics. Felt very unforgiving and unwieldy. Maybe it was my frame of mind at the time.

In any case, I'm interested to see how this goes and will try it out if it is the 'directors cut' improved edition the press release sounds like. Strictly speaking, more games like this that get ported over leaves me with fewer excuses to keep the other consoles hooked up.

I will be waiting to read impressions from other players before getting it again though. I want to know if these improvements are PR speak or genuine.

TheNatural

My Member!
Yeah, except for the fact that an audience liking one type of game doesn't mean they don't like another. You act like fans of WW and DE are mutually exclusive which is completely baseless.

Not to mention your second point...I feel like you're just trying to rile up people. Obviously the people complaining are the people who would want those games on the system. I'm not sure what line of logic allowed you to arrive at the conclusion that they're complaining just to complain

It's easier to play the persecution complex with third party support by doing this. Admitting the userbase just isn't there means that the people complaining are in the minority in some of their gaming interests, and any third party ignoring the Wii U is justified for business reasons.

By constantly saying that every third party game is dog shit, and that every Wii U owner is some super informed watchdog group playing operant conditioning with their money about mostly total minutia differences, they can place the blame on third parties.

This way when a game they may want is confirmed not to come out for the system they own, they can throw a hissy fit and blame them, saying it's not justified - when it is.

Randdalf

I'm totally getting this provided that there are no frame rate issues or anything like that. Human Revolution is one of my favourite games, possibly my favourite game, of the last gen, and if they're polishing it up then I'd love to play through it again. I played it on PC the first time round.

It's easier to play the persecution complex with third party support by doing this. Admitting the userbase just isn't there means that the people complaining are in the minority in some of their gaming interests, and any third party ignoring the Wii U is justified for business reasons.

By constantly saying that every third party game is dog shit, and that every Wii U owner is some super informed watchdog group playing operant conditioning with their money about mostly total minutia differences, they can place the blame on third parties.

This way when a game they may want is confirmed not to come out for the system they own, they can throw a hissy fit and blame them, saying it's not justified - when it is.

0134_um2m.gif

Things I learned from this thread:
-The Wii U userbase is made up of soccer moms who like Monster Hunter (Source) (Source)
-A remake of a 10-year-old game is exactly the same as a port of a readily available, dirt-cheap game (Source)
-Everyone who wants third party games on Nintendo systems is a lying fraud who just likes to complain (Source)
-The prediction that Deus Ex won't sell based on the fact that it's a $50 version of an old $5 game is just a convenient excuse by the dread Nintendo fanbase to slander hardworking third party publisher Square-Enix (Source)

This has been a very educational evening.

Otnopolit

-The Wii U userbase is made up of soccer moms who like Monster Hunter (Source) (Source)
-A remake of a 10-year-old game is exactly the same as a port of a readily available, dirt-cheap game (Source)
-Everyone who wants third party games on Nintendo systems is a lying fraud who just likes to complain (Source)
-The prediction that Deus Ex won't sell based on the fact that it's a $50 version of an old $5 game is just a convenient excuse by the dread Nintendo fanbase to slander hardworking third party publisher Square-Enix (Source)

Sounds like a relative of Pachter...

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Not to mention the fact that the people are complaining just to complain so they will be able to complain later that they are not getting the games they want and should not complain about it.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I am very keen to learn what 'in-depth Mii-verse integration' is. So far all I see the Miiverse as is a closed forum for WiiU owners. There is not really anything that great about it so I can't imagine what 'in-depth' will conjour up.

Great game though for anyone who has missed out.

Guys I heard this awesome game is coming to Wii U.

I was going to buy it, but not anymore cuz I was told it doesn't belong on the Wii U. *sadface*

Amazing.

I've certainly learned some things about myself as a Nintendo fan and a WiiU owner.

TheNatural

My Member!

Things I learned from this post: make up shit to sound good, that I never said.

Learn the distinction between the majority and the minority. You post here, you're in the minority. People who care about third party games who use Wii U as their primary platform for it, including Monster Hunter: minority. The minority here willing to forgive full priced Monster Hunter and Wind Waker updates, but will bitch about the same thing for Deus Ex or Mass Effect, because they really don't care about the games in the first place. If they did, they would have, you know - purchased a 360 or PS3 or played it on a PC ages ago like everyone else did.

Majority: not sitting on GAF wondering what $10 downloadable content the Wii U version isn't getting, or how good the anti aliasing is during cut scenes compared to another version. Majority: pushed Mario, Sonic, zombie game, dance game, and cartoon game above 100K for Wii U. None of which they were debating the technical merits of on the internet deciding who they should reward with their money.

CrisKre

The problem with this argument is that it dismisses the fact that this releases have, in fact, been late ports of greatly discounted titles. You may have a point, but it is too soon to extrapolate conclusions about the audience.
Moreover, you implying that people that complain about the nature of 3rd party support don't intend to purchase better, more reasonably priced games is patronizing and obtuse.

majik13

I am very keen to learn what 'in-depth Mii-verse integration' is. So far all I see the Miiverse as is a closed forum for WiiU owners. There is not really anything that great about it so I can't imagine what 'in-depth' will conjour up.

Great game though for anyone who has missed out.

you are familiar with how NSBU and NintendoLand do it right? Stuff built into the game. It will probabaly be something like that. But I am not sure I want some mii faces and bright colors popping up in a dark dystopian game.

sfried

Guys I heard this awesome game is coming to Wii U.

I was going to buy it, but not anymore cuz I was told it doesn't belong on the Wii U. *sadface*
You should certainly buy this if you haven't played Deus Ex: HR yet. Ignore the people who tell you to get the other versions.

Human stupidity or near impossible desires upon the preface of reality isn't a bannable offense in any single form it takes.
Well port-begging certainly is a bannable offence, human stupidity or not. I'm sick and tired of hearing people saying "It does not belong on Wii U".

"Well they made it on Wii U now shut it" should be the respose to those folks. Why can't people just accept it and leave it at that?

you are familiar with how NSBU and NintendoLand do it right? Stuff built into the game. It will probabaly be something like that. But I am not sure I want some mii faces and bright colors popping up in a dark dystopian game.
I don't think Mii's are obligatory for Miiverse integration. I believe AC3 had some MiiVerse in it, and you posted screencaps.

Can somebody please explain to me how the Wii U FINALLY starting to get decent effort third party ports (albeit late) is somehow a bad thing?

I bought NFS:MWU. That's now the expected minimum standard for a late port and by this time next year it'll be the same for any port.

This looks like it meets that standard so it piques my interest. I'm sure I can't be the only one. The fact I've never played it certainly helps as well.

Not going to bet on any late port selling well, but the chances of me buying it are very decent I'd say.

Yagharek

The minority here willing to forgive full priced Monster Hunter and Wind Waker updates, but will bitch about the same thing for Deus Ex or Mass Effect, because they really don't care about the games in the first place.

Just on this: Mass Effect 3 is a special case, since the same month Wii U came out they announced the trilogy version on PS3 for less than the ME3 Wii U version. It was bad value to the point of being insulting, unlike the other games which are all sold as standalone single titles.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.

I have both of those games but I never really noticed anything different from say ZombieU. You press the Home button, you go to Mii-verse, post screens or a comment and return to the game.

Can somebody please explain to me how the Wii U FINALLY starting to get decent effort third party ports (albeit late) is somehow a bad thing?

I bought NFS:MWU. That's now the expected minimum standard for a late port and by this time next year it'll be the same for any port.

This looks like it meets that standard so it piques my interest. I'm sure I can't be the only one. The fact I've never played it certainly helps as well.

Not going to bet on any late port selling well, but the chances of me buying it are very decent I'd say.
I completely agree... Too many console warriors mucking up GAF lately... This used to be the Ivy League of game forums... I thought I'd stumbled onto IGN earlier... Goodnight GAF.

You should certainly buy this if you haven't played Deus Ex: HR yet. Ignore the people who tell you to get the other versions.

I was being sarcastic but thank you for the kind gesture.

Also, I already have the 360 version with missing link and Tong's mission and yes I will be getting this version unless we find out something catastrophic after release.

This will be the best version of the game, no question about it.

majik13

I think most people have been pleased with the details so far, and there seems to be a good amount of interest in the title on here. i think some are just a little concerned about the price.

I know I will be looking out and hoping for a better deal as well as impressions around launch. But I will definitely eventually be purchasing it.

sfried

You're not the only one. I liked Human Revolution enough on my OnLive deal that I decided I would by the WiiU port for tangible medium purposes if there ever is one. Well now it not only looks like we're getting a Special Edition, but an overhauled version that fixes various fundamental (as in, not something you could just patch) issues with the vanilla release and integrating the DLC to make it actually part of the full game instead of just extras (again, not something easily patchable).

TheNatural

My Member!
Just on this: Mass Effect 3 is a special case, since the same month Wii U came out they announced the trilogy version on PS3 for less than the ME3 Wii U version. It was bad value to the point of being insulting, unlike the other games which are all sold as standalone single titles.

Hypothetically if it mattered, the game did 10,000 in the holidays which is totally horrendous. Lets say the Wii U version game out WITH the trilogy and the same price: what exactly do you expect the overall impact to be? Do you think the amount of people who would have purchased it would have double or tripled? Or still even come close to the best sellers for the system?

majik13

Hypothetically if it mattered, the game did 10,000 in the holidays which is totally horrendous. Lets say the Wii U version game out WITH the trilogy and the same price: what exactly do you expect the overall impact to be? Do you think the amount of people who would have purchased it would have double or tripled? Or still even come close to the best sellers for the system?

if the trilogy would have released on wiiu, I would have probabaly bought it by now.

sfried

I have both of those games but I never really noticed anything different from say ZombieU. You press the Home button, you go to Mii-verse, post screens or a comment and return to the game.

I think when you scan around, you'll sometimes see certain messages pinpointed by your prepperpad.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
minority report

You know that everyone writing here on GAF is just a minority compared to the mass of users for each console/PC, right ?

Have you noticed how much almost everyone around here is complaining about pricing about everything ? How not buying a console/game day one is a wise thing to do?

Why are you blaming this only on Wii U owners now in a thread about a game that is mostly praised by everyone even being a late port as it is?

Yagharek

All ifs and buts. It was a bad value release when it was on sale side by side with the original trilogy bundled for the same price.

If it had been the trilogy I would have paid money for it, or even had the trilogy not existed I would have paid money for 3

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Holy shit :lol

Yesterday this game was the most hated announcement of the year, and now it's already a favorite. What an 180º.

CrisKre

I suspect it would have sold quiet a bit better yes. My assumption is that sales of non advertised ports tend to sell to more informed customers. That is unless they are heavily discounted, in which case they may fall into the impulse buy territory. And this particular release was borderline insulting in terms of price vs. Value.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Improved boss fights?! surely this version is getting released for PS3 too, I hope.

A completely daft and pointless mental exercise. Why should anyone indulge hypotheticals like this?

We don't know what would have happened. Perhaps it would have benefited from the cross-platform promotion for the trilogy on television, in print and in stores, and people would have felt some uptick in value perception based on the fact it would have been three games in one, and a complete trilogy - instead of the final entry in a game that has until now, not had a single release on Nintendo platforms. Maybe Nintendo would have chosen to highlight it in their own marketing or on their eStores.

We don't know, because that didn't happen.

Neiteio

So to add to the OP:
  • Boss fights have been revamped with new AI, new level layouts, and the possibility of beating the bosses without ever firing a bullet.
  • New Game+ with all augmentations carrying over
  • New augmentation that gives you an enhanced first-person view on the GamePad
  • Rebalanced energy system that includes the second battery refilling rather than just the first (except on Give Me Deus Ex difficulty)
  • Toss back grenades by swiping the touchscreen
  • Hacking, looting, sniping, and menus on the GamePad
  • Record notes with text, drawing, screenshots, or audio, and share them on Miiverse
  • Map notes
  • Off-TV Play
  • Tong's Rescue and Missing Link DLC included and integrated smoothly into the game (Missing Link originally had to be launched separately from Main Menu despite taking place during the main plot)
  • Preorder bonus weapons included
  • Official in-game strategy guide included in the menus, can be accessed at any time
  • ~8 hours of Director's Cut commentary included throughout the world
  • 45 minute "Making Of" documentary
  • Achievements from base game, Missing Link, and new Director's Cut achievements
  • Left-handed control schemes (four control schemes in total)
  • Multilingual support with English, French, Italian, German, and Spanish voice and subtitles enabled (can be mixed and matched)
  • Enhanced graphics from the Missing Link, including smoother shadows, improvements to lighting and fog, and antialiasing
  • Upgraded enemy AI
HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

DAMN, I have to buy this game a THIRD TIME.

FUCK.

Seriously, this is the most awesome "enhanced port" ever.

Just run well, dammit.

EDIT: I can finally do a TRULY non-lethal run, bosses included.

ME LIKEY.

Effect

So to add to the OP:
  • Boss fights have been revamped with new AI, new level layouts, and the possibility of beating the bosses without ever firing a bullet.
  • New Game+ with all augmentations carrying over
  • New augmentation that gives you an enhanced first-person view on the GamePad
  • Rebalanced energy system that includes the second battery refilling rather than just the first (except on Give Me Deus Ex difficulty)
  • Toss back grenades by swiping the touchscreen
  • Hacking, looting, sniping, and menus on the GamePad
  • Record notes with text, drawing, screenshots, or audio, and share them on Miiverse
  • Map notes
  • Off-TV Play
  • Tong's Rescue and Missing Link DLC included and integrated smoothly into the game (Missing Link originally had to be launched separately from Main Menu despite taking place during the main plot)
  • Preorder bonus weapons included
  • Official in-game strategy guide included in the menus, can be accessed at any time
  • ~8 hours of Director's Cut commentary included throughout the world
  • 45 minute "Making Of" documentary
  • Achievements from base game, Missing Link, and new Director's Cut achievements
  • Left-handed control schemes (four control schemes in total)
  • Multilingual support with English, French, Italian, German, and Spanish voice and subtitles enabled (can be mixed and matched)
  • Enhanced graphics from the Missing Link, including smoother shadows, improvements to lighting and fog, and antialiasing
  • Upgraded enemy AI

That is an impressive list of improvements. They're pulling me in that's for sure. Gotta say I do want to buy this now even if it's at $50 if the actual gameplay holds up. Glad to see full Miiverse integration.

TheNatural

My Member!
A completely daft and pointless mental exercise. Why should anyone indulge hypotheticals like this?

Maybe you're correct. If someone is hell bent on believing that their gaming tastes correspond with the vast majority of people that own the system and by saying 'I know about the differences and I would have bought one if I got what they got' means that it applies to everyone, then there's no convincing.

When Need for Speed does low numbers, and this does low numbers, the same tired drum will be beat. There's no satiable resolution with one "perfect" version good enough that will ever prove to you or others that the audience isn't there. You'll always have an out, an excuse, or a complaint. It's will always be too late, too expensive, too extra-less, too everything.

It's your own grave though, when you're waiting 3, 4 months to find a game to buy. Just remember that.

Top Bottom