• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut [Up: Off-Screen play confirmed]

EDarkness

In Actually Talking About Deus Ex Land, I'm going to disagree with Derrick and say that two energy bars refilling is fine. It might make it easier, but it also allows a lot more versatility and lot less looking for candy bars in drawers.

Aren't candy bars a staple food in the Deus Ex universe? ;)

For everyone who was asking why they were porting this instead of like, Tomb Raider or some more recent game, consider this:

If you had JUST bought Tomb Raider, and had JUST finished it, thought it was a kinda fun game, and then saw this, would you want to buy it again, ALREADY?
Now, say there was this game, that you played 2 years ago. Juuuust at that point where you remember it was fun as hell, and was maybe thinking about playing it again. Now, let's say that the additions to the game are not only awesome, but fit in with the high tech future sort of theme of the game, does that make it better? Maybe you sold the game, and now you can have it again, BUT BETTER?

I think they are expecting many of the people that were going to buy the game to be people who had played it the first time around, and probably expected that most people would likely be double dipping on Tomb Raider had they chosen that one -- a game that just recently came out, and thus would be harder to justify.

Is it what some people wanted? I guess not, but if you look at it from a market perspective it isn't TERRIBLE.

Neiteio

I'm still reeling from the fact they're retooling the boss fights. That was, like, the one main flaw to the original game, yet it seemed too involving to be corrected in a port.

Now I stand corrected!

robot

One of those games I had to pass on due to other releases at the time. Will grab this on the Wii U fo sho.

They should have a mode that replaces Jensen with my Mii. But not really.

I'm still reeling from the fact they're retooling the boss fights. That was, like, the one main flaw to the original game, yet it seemed too involving to be corrected in a port.

Now I stand corrected!

What was the problem w the boss fights, I always hear it was an issue but not sure what.

JDSN

Banned
There's no way this will be just a patch, just with integrating the missing link and the bosd fights will change the way the game is built. Not to mention the other stuff.

Neiteio

What was the problem w the boss fights, I always hear it was an issue but not sure what.
You were forced to kill the bosses, which sucked if you were doing a non-lethal run like me, relying on stealth, hacking and social skills to resolve every confrontation peacefully or avoid them altogether. Now they're overhauling the boss fights -- even revamping the arenas where you confront them -- so that there will be multiple solutions. Just like the rest of the game. :)

KevinCow

Banned
In Actually Talking About Deus Ex Land, I'm going to disagree with Derrick and say that two energy bars refilling is fine. It might make it easier, but it also allows a lot more versatility and lot less looking for candy bars in drawers.

Aside from the bosses, the energy system was my other big complaint. I rarely used anything beyond the first bar because dicking around with candy was annoying.

Refilling two bars instead of one is nice, but I wish they just had the occasional energy recharge station, or just had enemies drop instant consumables that go straight to the bar instead of your inventory, like ammo.

Neiteio

Aside from the bosses, the energy system was my other big complaint. I rarely used anything beyond the first bar because dicking around with candy was annoying.

Refilling two bars instead of one is nice, but I wish they just had the occasional energy recharge station, or just had enemies drop instant consumables that go straight to the bar instead of your inventory, like ammo.
Yep, having two rechargable batteries will make this game WAY more fun. Cuts out the tedium of constantly scrounging for bar-replenishing items when you want to do a two-battery move but you just K.O.'d someone.

VariantX

One of those games I had to pass on due to other releases at the time. Will grab this on the Wii U fo sho.

They should have a mode that replaces Jensen with my Mii. But not really.

Basically, the bosses just didn't fit with the rest of the game when the whole game is about building your character the way you want to complete objectives the way you want. If you went down a path that favors stealth or hacking instead of just building a character based around fighting, you would hit a wall because you're forced into a situation where fighting is the only way to progress forward. And if your character isn't built for fighting, you're at a huge disadvantage.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
If this comes to the PS3, I'll buy it for full price. Last time I got it for a buck and almost felt bad.

TheNatural

My Member!
Heh, heh. I'm working on my own project right now. I'll have to remember to blame everyone else but myself if it doesn't turn out well. Maybe it's the hardware's fault. Yeah, I should blame Nintendo for that. When I'm converting it over to another platform I should just throw the game on that platform without worry, because if it doesn't work I can simply blame the hardware manufacturer for my shortcomings.

Heh, if the developer didn't think it would work, or didn't want to put the time in, then that's on them. I don't see how you can put that on the hardware. Hell, maybe we should blame Sony for the way Skyrim turned out on the PS3, too. After all, they made the hardware to begin with...

You don't think the PS4's hardware design is based completely off the headaches their Cell processor caused?

The developers have some degree of responsibility, but do you think they actively make a decision to put a game out with issues? It's not that the games had game breaking problems in the first place, except maybe the Epic Mickey game. A few games had framerate issues directly related to the processor Nintendo decided to go with, but they were far from broken. Why should they waste a ton of resources and money to try to get the game running better, when Nintendo didn't even do the same with their hardware?

It also didn't help that the original Deus Ex let you skip boss fights in various ways, including killing one character hours before you're supposed to face them as an enemy, discovering methods of instakilling two bosses via a dialogue choice, and even sneaking past a boss while he's waiting in an arena-type room to fight you.

Wallach

It also didn't help that the original Deus Ex let you skip boss fights in various ways, including killing one character hours before you're supposed to face them as an enemy, discovering methods of instakilling two bosses via a dialogue choice, and even sneaking past a boss while he's waiting in an arena-type room to fight you.

Yeah, the game is definitely going to benefit a lot from retooled boss encounters.

Mind you, I didn't really fight any of the bosses in this game so much as I mashed on the Typhoon button a few times. Still.

sfried

There's no way this will be just a patch, just with integrating the missing link and the bosd fights will change the way the game is built. Not to mention the other stuff.
This. Plus the WiiU specific stuff. Having most of your interaction now down on the touchpad frees realestate on the main screen (which means you can see if people are shooting at you while hacking/reading stuff), plus the MiiVerse stuff.

Neiteio

Mind you, I didn't really fight any of the bosses in this game so much as I mashed on the Typhoon button a few times. Still.
HA! That's what I did, too. Then I could fantasize that I didn't really kill them, I just sort of... exploded... into marble-like projectiles... which accidentally turned them into Swiss cheese...

They still have to die even in the updated version (story doesn't change) but I am definitely looking forward to not having to resort to something like the typhoon to take them out. (I ended up using it on the second boss due to frustration)

Replicant

Am I the only one who liked the boss fights? With the exception of the 1st guy, which is hard until you find out what you should do, the rest are pretty easy. In fact, I thought the last boss fight was kind of fun.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
You don't think the PS4's hardware design is based completely off the headaches their Cell processor caused?

The developers have some degree of responsibility, but do you think they actively make a decision to put a game out with issues? It's not that the games had game breaking problems in the first place, except maybe the Epic Mickey game. A few games had framerate issues directly related to the processor Nintendo decided to go with, but they were far from broken. Why should they waste a ton of resources and money to try to get the game running better, when Nintendo didn't even do the same with their hardware?

It wasn't their processor that caused frame issues but rather their memory structure. The CPU is MORE than comparable to the 360 and PS3's usable power, the difference is how you get data to the processor. Since the RAM is lower bandwidth than expected, it's supposed to feed the eDRAM, which is so high bandwidth it's retarded. As I understand it, alot of techniques involved streaming straight through the RAM to the processors. However, because the RAM doesn't really have the bandwidth for the kind of work, using that technique will cause problems. Data has to be ordered differently to feed the eDRAM, but doing that isn't particularly more difficult than trying to do it the old way.

At least that's how I understand it, if any tech guys want to correct me, please do.

Derrick01

Banned

That game was so amazing, too bad nothing else compares to it :\

bangai-o

Banned

Invisible War did that. I beat the game without even seeing the final boss. One of my allies just ran into the warehouse and won the game for me.

sfried

I wonder if it's now possible for me to do a completely no-kill run. Although you probably have to end up killing bosses, I wonder if there's now a more indirect way of doing so that doesn't go against your non-leathal score.

Neiteio

They still have to die even in the updated version (story doesn't change) but I am definitely looking forward to not having to resort to something like the typhoon to take them out. (I ended up using it on the second boss due to frustration)
You may be right. Still, an inspired MacGyver-esque takedown will be more fun than just shooting them and shit.

EDarkness

Who knows what new headaches will be there with Sony's new system. I remember people saying the PS1 was easy to develop for, but it came with it's own headaches as well. Either way, it's still up to the developer. This is in no way the fault of the hardware. If the developer doesn't want to take time to make their game good, then that's on them.

Having worked in the game biz for a while, I can tell you that sometimes a game will go live knowing damn good and well there are showstopper bugs in it. As sad as that is. I don't for a minute give these guys a pass. People half-heartedly do things all the time and if they get the chance to pass that off on something else, then they will. They should and must be held accountable for the software they create. Anyone who is in the porting business should know that architectures are different for various hardware layouts and they have to work to iron those things out. It's their responsibility to do it, and if they can't (or won't), then that's on them. Let's not give these guys an "out". Either they want to put in the work, or they don't. It's up to them to decide.

I find it hard to believe that the guys who made MLB 2k11 on the 360 released that game without knowing their game was broken. They released it anyway and should we blame Microsoft for not giving them enough RAM to work with or whatever? No.

Software being good or bad has everything to do with the developer.

Replicant

Speaking of ports, I'd have seriously bought the game again if they had remake this as TPS instead of FPS. But just making the boss easier + adding seamless integration of DLC are not enough incentive for me to replay the game.

dwu8991

Banned
I'm more excited for this than Mass Effect 3 - give it to me!

Also having intergrated miiverse is way to go, I love seeing what other players did

Derrick01

Banned
Speaking of ports, I'd have seriously bought the game again if they had remake this as TPS instead of FPS. But just making the boss easier + adding seamless integration of DLC are not enough incentive for me to replay the game.

WHAT? That's not deus ex then.

Replicant

WHAT? That's not deus ex then.

Pfft, who says Deus Ex has to be FPS? Plus, don't diss it before you try it. Not to mention, I always think it's a waste of Jensen's in-game model to not actually see him in the game itself (except when you do flying jump).

You may be right. Still, an inspired MacGyver-esque takedown will be more fun than just shooting them and shit.

According to the EuroGamer article about the game, you do have to kill them still, but they don't make you take a frontal assault approach -

EuroGamer said:
Many found
Barrett
, for example, a particularly tough difficulty spike on account of his high damage, relentless pursuit of the player within a tight hanger. This map has been reworked to provide a second additional layer so Jensen can hide, forcing his foe to lose sight of him.

Understandably Eidos Montreal wasn't able to provide players with the option to not kill the bosses, although it sounds like it would have liked to, because the game's story couldn't be altered.

"They have to die," Dugas says, "but the fact is you're not forced to go full-frontal with them. You can just use some of the devices or tricks in the rooms to eventually kill them without having to spend your own bullets."
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...nfirmed-and-yes-theyve-fixed-the-boss-battles

Couldn't really expect them to alter the story and leave them alive, but it will be nice to have another approach or two aside from the direct assault.

TheNatural

My Member!
Who knows what new headaches will be there with Sony's new system. I remember people saying the PS1 was easy to develop for, but it came with it's own headaches as well. Either way, it's still up to the developer. This is in no way the fault of the hardware. If the developer doesn't want to take time to make their game good, then that's on them.

Having worked in the game biz for a while, I can tell you that sometimes a game will go live knowing damn good and well there are showstopper bugs in it. As sad as that is. I don't for a minute give these guys a pass. People half-heartedly do things all the time and if they get the chance to pass that off on something else, then they will. They should and must be held accountable for the software they create. Anyone who is in the porting business should know that architectures are different for various hardware layouts and they have to work to iron those things out. It's their responsibility to do it, and if they can't (or won't), then that's on them. Let's not give these guys an "out". Either they want to put in the work, or they don't. It's up to them to decide.

I find it hard to believe that the guys who made MLB 2k11 on the 360 released that game without knowing their game was broken. They released it anyway and should we blame Microsoft for not giving them enough RAM to work with or whatever? No.

Software being good or bad has everything to do with the developer.

Totally disagree. They're running a business too, and if you release a clusterfuck of a design, there's not going to be an infinite budget to solve all the hardware problems. The Saturn was extremely difficult to develop for, to the point that it's still one of the most difficult systems to get good emulation from as I understand. That design basically was the beginning of the end for SEGA.

If you're truly in the game business, you should know this better than most. Judging by your name, 99% of your posts in WiiU threads, and Wii U site linked in your profile you're much more of a Nintendo fanboy than anything else to give a fair and balanced view though.

I read a recent story about how the developer of Retro City Rampage just released the game for Wii, and it cost him $20,000 to do so because of Nintendo hoops he had to go through to get it out, even knowing he'll never recap that money with the system dead. These things have real costs, they just don't happen to a handful of different developers just because they're lazy.

Neiteio

According to the EuroGamer article about the game, you do have to kill them still, but they don't make you take a frontal assault approach -

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...nfirmed-and-yes-theyve-fixed-the-boss-battles

Couldn't really expect them to alter the story and leave them alive, but it will be nice to have another approach or two aside from the direct assault.
Thank you for sharing this. I'm cool with this. I would've liked the option to spare them from a story standpoint (even though they are colossal dicks!), but giving me more ways to take them down if I'm not doing a "fighting build" run will be much appreciated. :)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
i had fun with it. at the beginning you could throw a basketball around and kick boxes. It was cool.

Invisible War was troubled, but even so I think it gets more flak than it deserves. It's not nearly as good as Deus Ex. It's not even as good as Human Revolution. But it's still a good game, at least back when I played it on Xbox nine years ago. It's the kind of game that would be received much differently without the expectations of being a sequel to one of the most highly revered games ever.

i played invisible war on pc without knowing anything about deus ex and my takeaway back then was "that was a busted ass mediocre game with some neat ideas that it couldn't do at all i guess"

then i played deus ex 1 and it was amazing how much worse invisible war was. when the opening stage from the old game in the series has to be cut into small chunks in the new game because of technical limitations you know you've got issues

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I played IW after OG DX, but both were console versions. DX on PS2 and IW on Xbox. It was all I had to work with.

I definitely need to revisit Invisible War when I have the time. Because I honestly did enjoy it quite a bit. It might ruin my fond memories, though.

EDarkness

Totally disagree. They're running a business too, and if you release a clusterfuck of a design, there's not going to be an infinite budget to solve all the hardware problems. The Saturn was extremely difficult to develop for, to the point that it's still one of the most difficult systems to get good emulation from as I understand. That design basically was the beginning of the end for SEGA.

If you're truly in the game business, you should know this better than most. Judging by your name, 99% of your posts in WiiU threads, and Wii U site linked in your profile you're much more of a Nintendo fanboy than anything else to give a fair and balanced view though.

I read a recent story about how the developer of Retro City Rampage just released the game for Wii, and it cost him $20,000 to do so because of Nintendo hoops he had to go through to get it out, even knowing he'll never recap that money with the system dead. These things have real costs, they just don't happen to a handful of different developers just because they're lazy.

I post in all kinds of threads on this site and others, but that doesn't have anything to do with the topic at hand. Yeah, you're right, business decisions need to be made. However, as with any business it's up to the company to make the right (or wrong call). Making these decisions are tough and sometimes something good happens and sometimes something bad happens, that's the name of the game. I make good and bad calls all the time, but I'm never going to blame someone else for what I decided to do. And other companies shouldn't either.

I have no sympathy for those who make investments that go bad (unless it's straight up fraud...that sucks). And I hope no one would have sympathy for me in the exact same situation. We are responsible for what we put out for people to consume, and if we skimp in one area or spread ourselves too thin, we have to understand the risk involved. Heh, I worked for NCsoft and when they invested in Auto Assault we always wondered why they would have even bothered with that game. The writing was on the wall, but there it was. When we were ultimately laid off due to that game failing the management was pretty up front about it, but that didn't change the fact that it was a bad investment in the first place. Ultimately, we paid the price for that by losing our job at least they didn't try to sugar coat it when it happened.

Making a game with missing features, poor framerates, etc. comes with risks. Do people buy or not knowing the quality of the game? Don't believe that people don't know how bad this software is on the inside. Many times they do. But there's only so much money and time to go around, but that's where management of resources is important. Even so, they are responsible for this. It has nothing to hardware. If X company decides to port Y game at $Z and they skimp out on features, allow bugs, etc., then maybe they shouldn't have ported it in the first place...or they accept responsibility for when it fails (or succeeds).

Business is tough, no doubt about it.

i played invisible war on pc without knowing anything about deus ex and my takeaway back then was "that was a busted ass mediocre game with some neat ideas that it couldn't do at all i guess"

then i played deus ex 1 and it was amazing how much worse invisible war was. when the opening stage from the old game in the series has to be cut into small chunks in the new game because of technical limitations you know you've got issues

Heh, I tried like mad to like Invisible War, but damn that game was terrible. I don't even think I made it to the last boss. After the first game (that I played on the PS2 and PC) it was hard to believe the game could have been changed so much.

Loading up Deus Ex: Human Revolution now on the 360 to give it a shot. Depending on how the sneaking around is, maybe I'll consider trying out the Wii U version.

I'm kinda waiting to see what the devil in the details are. I mean, I love my Wii U and all, but I already have Human Revolution on the PC. And while having an extra battery at my disposal and better boss fights is something I'd relish, I have a sinking suspicion that it'll come at the cost of something stupid like load times longer than either of the existing console versions or some snag that people won't think about until it's out there in the open.

I like the sound of the changes. While I would prefer that my PC copy be upgraded (a small fee would be fine) I may actually double dip for the improved boss fights alone if the quality port is up to snuff. That's one aspect of the game that's really held me back from replaying Human Revolution.

Top Bottom