• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut [Up: Off-Screen play confirmed]

Kimawolf

Totally disagree. They're running a business too, and if you release a clusterfuck of a design, there's not going to be an infinite budget to solve all the hardware problems. The Saturn was extremely difficult to develop for, to the point that it's still one of the most difficult systems to get good emulation from as I understand. That design basically was the beginning of the end for SEGA.

If you're truly in the game business, you should know this better than most. Judging by your name, 99% of your posts in WiiU threads, and Wii U site linked in your profile you're much more of a Nintendo fanboy than anything else to give a fair and balanced view though.

I read a recent story about how the developer of Retro City Rampage just released the game for Wii, and it cost him $20,000 to do so because of Nintendo hoops he had to go through to get it out, even knowing he'll never recap that money with the system dead. These things have real costs, they just don't happen to a handful of different developers just because they're lazy.

Calling someone a fanboy doesn't negate his point of view. This is the only industry where there are a serious group of apologist like you who think we should just give developers a constant pass for bad games and blame the platform holders.

you think this would stand in any other industry? you don't blame Ford because you don't know how to drive a high performance car or Maytag because you fucked up your laundry. Stop blaming hardware for software shortcomings. these guys work, get paid like everyone else and people have a right to expect them to put out competent work like any other industry.

Calling someone a fanboy doesn't negate his point of view. This is the only industry where there are a serious group of apologist like you who think we should just give developers a constant pass for bad games and blame the platform holders.

you think this would stand in any other industry? you don't blame Ford because you don't know how to drive a high performance car or Maytag because you fucked up your laundry. Stop blaming hardware for software shortcomings. these guys work, get paid like everyone else and people have a right to expect them to put out competent work like any other industry.

Thank you for this. I wrote up a three paragraph rant earlier (which I didn't post) that said pretty much the same thing, but this is much more to the point.

TheNatural

My Member!

It's funny you blame software developers who've had no problems developing multi-million dollar GOTY candidates on other platforms, yet give no blame to a hardware developer who's created significant development hoops to jump through going on four straight generations.

The only apologists are the one excusing shitty hardware. Who's fault is it the Wii U was locking up and the only way to fix it was to hit the power? That's NES level shit. Who's fault is it when 6 or 7 different otherwise totally competent developers on other platforms only have framerate problems on ONE system?

When you have to point the finger at everywhere else but the source, it's the source.

It's funny you blame software developers who've had no problems developing multi-million dollar GOTY candidates on other platforms, yet give no blame to a hardware developer who's created significant development hoops to jump through going on four straight generations.

The only apologists are the one excusing shitty hardware. Who's fault is it the Wii U was locking up and the only way to fix it was to hit the power? That's NES level shit. Who's fault is it when 6 or 7 different otherwise totally competent developers on other platforms only have framerate problems on ONE system?

When you have to point the finger at everywhere else but the source, it's the source.

Nintendo first and second party developers don't seem to have any problems working on Nintendo hardware. All of them aren't involved in R&D for consoles. Are they exempt because they're Nintendo developers?

You have a truly magical way of generalizing and ignoring aspects of certain situations to fit your preconceived notions.

Wooooowee.

Unlike every other console manufacturer ever right...

To the second bolded, how many ports were actually handled by the original teams? Criterion and Frozenbite are very positive on the WiiU and have produced superior results on it then other consoles.

TheNatural

My Member!
Nintendo first and second party developers don't seem to have any problems working on Nintendo hardware. All of them aren't involved in R&D for consoles. Are they exempt because they're Nintendo developers?

How do you know when the only games they've made are about as least graphically intensive as possible? And they have access to their hardware team RIGHT there.

This isn't new either, there were plenty of rumblings on how the development kits were causing plenty of headaches because of Nintendo cheaping out:

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rumor/27583

Darksiders 2 developer early on:

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/ne...as-been-tricky-says-darksiders-developer.html

How do you know when the only games they've made are about as least graphically intensive as possible? And they have access to their hardware team RIGHT there.

Nintendo's first party developers have pulled off some blood from a stone miracles over their history. Your initial point is straight nonsensical bullshit.

TheNatural

My Member!
Nintendo's first party developers have pulled off some blood from a stone miracles over their history. Your initial point is straight nonsensical bullshit.

They've released two fucking games on Wii U so far, neither one were graphics powerhouses. That's hardly evidence they've had no hardware issues. And they continue to delay games. What the fuck are you talking about?

EDarkness

Hardware lockups are a different problem altogether. Totally Nintendo's fault and I hope they get off their ass and get it fixed. But if we're going to go that route, then what about Microsoft and the damn RROD? How about the original Playstation? I had to have mine upside down in order for it to work at all. I played FFIX that way, but it "worked" most of the time so that was fine. Nevermind that none of this has anything to do with third party software quality. FFIX was a great game and relatively well made, despite the hardware problems Sony had.

Anyway, we're talking about software from third parties, however.

That doesn't answer my question, but I'll play along. If Nintendo was making bad hardware that even their own teams didn't want to develop for, why is it that Nintendo first and second party games are always so good? If they're limited by the hardware, that's one thing, but they're almost always top notch productions in terms of quality. I'd assume that everyone who's making Nintendo games on Nintendo hardware would be making bad games if the hardware was just so terrible and hard to work with... Further, at what point would they cut their losses and move on?

The bolded is interesting. Are graphics your thing? You said that for four generations, that Nintendo has made hardware that's caused developer hoops for devs to jump through. Outside of the the Wii's lack of power compared to the HD twins, wasn't Wii development actually pretty easy? Especially considering it was based on GCN archetecture? I know it was certainly cheaper.

They've released two fucking games on Wii U so far, neither one were graphics powerhouses. That's hardly evidence they've had no hardware issues. And they continue to delay games. What the fuck are you talking about?
Metroid%20Prime%203%2004.jpg

This is Metroid Prime 3, a Wii game running in dolphin. I'm at the point of giving Retro Studios the benefit of the doubt when it comes to graphical output.

sfried

Man, can we stop it with the super late ports on Wii U.
Man, can we stop the complaining about the super late ports on Wii U?

Honestly, if DX:HR Director's Cut is considered a late port, despite all the enhancements and retooling, does it make it a bad game on the system?

StevieP

Banned
In this thread, port houses that are given very low budgets and often very stringent time requirements are expected to produce software with the same competence as gigantic, huge budget teams on well established systems. Hilariously, the results are usually pretty close.

TheNatural

My Member!
Hardware lockups are a different problem altogether. Totally Nintendo's fault and I hope they get off their ass and get it fixed. But if we're going to go that route, then what about Microsoft and the damn RROD? How about the original Playstation? I had to have mine upside down in order for it to work at all. I played FFIX that way, but it "worked" most of the time so that was fine. Nevermind that none of this has anything to do with third party software quality. FFIX was a great game and relatively well made, despite the hardware problems Sony had.

Anyway, we're talking about software from third parties, however.

You're right, Sony and Microsoft did fuck up badly. The Cell was a fuck up too. Throw Windows 8 in there too, which I've most recently dealt with.

I've roasted every bit of that over time, roasted EA over their SimCity anti consumer bullshit among others. I have no allegiances.

The fact you were quick to jump on Sony and Microsoft though shows your agenda. I'm not a console warrior bashing one system or another just because, but you're definitely one to jump to Nintendo's defense just because.

I've played more Nintendo games in my life than any other, they're the best software company in the world, but just because Mario and Legend of Zelda and the software side are traditionally great doesn't mean that translates to blaming everyone else when they're very subpar on the hardware development side and since the N64 developers have always had one issue or another to contend with.

You're right, Sony and Microsoft did fuck up badly. The Cell was a fuck up too. Throw Windows 8 in there too, which I've most recently dealt with.

I've roasted every bit of that over time, roasted EA over their SimCity anti consumer bullshit among others. I have no allegiances.

The fact you were quick to jump on Sony and Microsoft though shows your agenda. I'm not a console warrior bashing one system or another just because, but you're definitely one to jump to Nintendo's defense just because.

I've played more Nintendo games in my life than any other, they're the best software company in the world, but just because Mario and Legend of Zelda and the software side are traditionally great doesn't mean that translates to blaming everyone else when they're very subpar on the hardware development side and since the N64 developers have always had one issue or another to contend with.
The gamecube is indisputably a feat of consumer electronics engineering. Raw power is not the end all of hardware metrics.

LOL
Revisionist history much? Are we suppose to sit here and pretend the PS3, and the Cell and it's first 2 years didn't happen? That the Emotion Engine wasn't also a pain to use? That Xbox Live doesn't still implore archaic restrictions that devs don't still complain about? You should try to be more subtle about your anti-Nintendo bias. Yes, they aren't perfect and without blame but most of your points against them don't hold up to even the most basic of scrutiny

Huff

Banned
kind of a shame that this port seems to have a decent bit of love and tenderness given to it, only to potentially be the worst selling 3rd party game yet

TheNatural

My Member!
The gamecube is indisputably a feat of consumer electronics engineering. Raw power is not the end all of hardware metrics.

Except when they decided to go with ridiculously small storage medium - again. And a nonstandard controller, just because. The lack of DVD support basically eliminated developers like Rockstar wanting to cut 2/3rds or more out of the game to bring Grand Theft Auto or whatever over.

You arent a console warrior but you are some kind of warrior.

Dead Man

It looks good, but calling it a Directors Cut is ridiculous. More stuff like this could get me to pull the trigger on a U though.

I remember laughing at the idea of a Wii U port of this game but with all those enhancements, I'll have to triple-dip. Even if it does get ported (which it will) the miiverse compatibility and off screen play will make it the definitive version for me.
Also helps that I still haven't beaten it yet...

TheNatural

My Member!
LOL
Revisionist history much? Are we suppose to sit here and pretend the PS3, and the Cell and it's first 2 years didn't happen? That the Emotion Engine wasn't also a pain to use? That Xbox Live doesn't still implore archaic restrictions that devs don't still complain about? You should try to be more subtle about your anti-Nintendo bias. Yes, they aren't perfect and without blame but most of your points against them don't hold up to even the most basic of scrutiny

Anti Nintendo? I was playing Nintendo games while you were getting breast fed. You don't know shit about me.

They were fuckups, I've said as much, and Sony paid huge consequences in their balance sheet. And Nintendo is paying theirs now with horrible monthly sales. You make a shitty hardware decision, you have to pay the paper, not pass the buck.

Except when they decided to go with ridiculously small storage medium - again. And a nonstandard controller, just because. The lack of DVD support basically eliminated developers like Rockstar wanting to cut 2/3rds or more out of the game to bring Grand Theft Auto or whatever over.

And? I was referring to the actual architecture of the system, I assumed you were doing the same because of this:

Feel free to correct me.

StevieP

Banned

Yeah, I mean its not like Rockstar ever put games on multiple discs before.

http://m.computerandvideogames.com/344925/max-payne-3-for-xbox-360-will-come-on-2-discs/

http://gamerant.com/la-noire-multiple-xbox-360-discs-tao-82932/

http://n4g.com/news/1121630/gta-v-file-size-may-require-more-than-two-discs-on-xbox-360-analysis

Or that GTA 3 wasn't something like 700mb in size.

Roo

Anti Nintendo? I was playing Nintendo games while you were getting breast fed. You don't know shit about me.

They were fuckups, I've said as much, and Sony paid huge consequences in their balance sheet. And Nintendo is paying theirs now with horrible monthly sales. You make a shitty hardware decision, you have to pay the paper, not pass the buck.

You sound so pressed.
Let it go dude.. seriosuly.

TheNatural

My Member!

Yeah a streaming game like GTA would have worked great on Gamecube. Would have loved to changed discs everytime you cross a bridge to another borough.

StevieP

Banned
Yeah a streaming game like GTA would have worked great on Gamecube. Would have loved to changed discs everytime you cross a bridge to another borough.

GameCube discs could have easily fit the entirety of GTA3 as an example, and I guess you didn't see the rest of the links.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
As a lurker (mostly) I have to say I find it ironic that you're claiming someone else has an agenda. In almost every big third party Wii U thread I see you posting about how sales of game x are terrible, how if no one buys game y then those platform owners "don't deserve third party support", or how Nintendo's Wii U is fucked. I get your passionate but dude ... it's just too much.

EDarkness

This has nothing to do with some kind of "agenda". I just wanted to point out that this issue with hardware goes all over. It's part of of the game biz and we should put the blame where it belongs.

The discussion we're having is about third party software, not hardware. Hardware has nothing to do with what we're talking about. Software problems happen all over on every system for many reasons, but all I'm saying and have been saying from the beginning is that it's the developer/publisher that is 100% at fault at how software turns out. They write the code, make the decisions on budget, time, features to cut or add, etc. If a game turns out bad on the PS3 (looking at you Skyrim), then the blame is squarely on the head of the developer. This is true for the Wii U. If the game has a bad framerate, missing features, etc. this is their fault and they should take the responsibility. And players have every right to take them to task for this.

We should not have to buy their game just because. They're not doing us a favor, they're trying to get our money and if they can't make compelling software for us to buy, then that's their business. You making it seem like it's our duty to buy this stuff is just crazy to me. I still want you to tell me why someone should buy Mass Effect 3 on the Wii U. That game deserved to fail and it basically did. That had nothing to do with the Wii U.

Lancehead

Haven't played Missing Link. Might pick this up. When it's around $ 5.

Heard this version has two cell recharge, is that correct?

All the GTA's were that small? Right.

Since they weren't even in conceptual stages yet how is that possibly relevant?

(Vice City was, San Andreas wasn't)

Edit:
to actually get on topic I'd probably buy this game the moment it hits $30.
The boss fights and NG+ alone are my only significant flaws with the original game and I never got around to the missing link.

TheNatural

My Member!
As a lurker (mostly) I have to say I find it ironic that you're claiming someone else has an agenda. In almost every big third party Wii U thread I see you posting about how sales of game x are terrible, how if no one buys game y then those platform owners "don't deserve third party support", or how Nintendo's Wii U is fucked. I get your passionate but dude ... it's just too much.

Well this is usually how it goes:

1) Third party game to Wii U or third party developer says they're not making a game for it

2) Entitled crybabies converge and trash the third party developer because they're not making the game good enough for 'their' systems, or making it at all

3) I'll point out it's totally justified why they're doing what they're doing, because the audience isn't there, and they don't want to lose money, it's what anyone would do to keep their business going

4) Two dozen random people quote me, not vice versa, complaining that I said that and then proceed to argue how every single third party and every single third party game slighted them as Nintendo owners for the past 17 years for absolutely no reason other than they're lazy and belong to some anti Nintendo illuminati conspiracy

5) I respond to the ridiculous and get caught up in this cycle of hell that closely resembles some 2001 IGN console war ridiculousness

But yeah you're right, I'm done, going to bed and letting this die. Should have known better to bring some rationality into a hoard of Link4Life or EternalDarknessRulez posters, where if you bring even 0.0000001% blame on how Nintendo has designed their hardware they take it like you stabbed their brother in the eye with an ice pick. Far be it for me to defend mostly small teams of developers who work their ass off to get a game out, like the Need for Speed game, only to be shit on over and over again.

Adieu.

EDarkness

But yeah you're right, I'm done, going to bed and letting this die. Should have known better to bring some rationality into a hoard of Link4Life or EternalDarknessRulez posters, where if you bring even 0.0000001% blame on how Nintendo has designed their hardware they take it like you stabbed their brother in the eye with an ice pick. Far be it for me to defend mostly small teams of developers who work their ass off to get a game out, like the Need for Speed game, only to be shit on over and over again.

EternalDarknessRulez? Oh come on, man. My forum name has absolutely NOTHING to do with Nintendo's game. I won't even grace you with with the whole story, but I'll use one of your own lines....

You don't know shit about me. .

Yep. Exactly.

Well this is usually how it goes:

1) Third party game to Wii U or third party developer says they're not making a game for it

2) Entitled crybabies converge and trash the third party developer because they're not making the game good enough for 'their' systems, or making it at all

3) I'll point out it's totally justified why they're doing what they're doing, because the audience isn't there, and they don't want to lose money, it's what anyone would do to keep their business going

4) Two dozen random people quote me, not vice versa, complaining that I said that and then proceed to argue how every single third party and every single third party game slighted them as Nintendo owners for the past 17 years for absolutely no reason other than they're lazy and belong to some anti Nintendo illuminati conspiracy

5) I respond to the ridiculous and get caught up in this cycle of hell that closely resembles some 2001 IGN console war ridiculousness

Adieu.

You did a Nobel prize winning job of rational debate in this thread. Those ignorant Nintendo plebs just wanted good games, selfish bastards

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
In this thread, port houses that are given very low budgets and often very stringent time requirements are expected to produce software with the same competence as gigantic, huge budget teams on well established systems. Hilariously, the results are usually pretty close.

IF their price is the same or more than the original at launch they should provide the same or more value.

Edit for the drama: Adieu ... until the next Wii U thread.

AKA Deus Ex: Human Stuff-We-Probably-Should-Have-Done-In-The-First-Place Revolution.
Anyhow, I still haven't tried this series out, so I'm gunna pick this up along with Revelations Unveiled after my birthday :D

Why do people go to threads to shit on a certain company? I mean I can understand why people would be bias towards one they love, its natural, but to actively hate on another company? Its not even a joking or trolling kinda way either, people hate with a passion by the looks of it. I just really don't understand.

Why would a port require as much time or budget as development of a game? Everything's already done, you just need to port it over. You might as well just put it towards a sequel then with this line of thinking. Porting is mostly technical work, development needs creative work too, and that is always gonna need more time.

Top Bottom