• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

AniHawk

Famassu said:
Because, shocking as it is, other people don't share your POV of the game?

I know, this is a radical suggestion, but there just might be something to it...

no that can't be it. i'll just assume people were just passing the time here while they waited for rayman origins.

DennisK4 said:
I have uploaded a short 720p video of the ENB mod in action.

FOV is set to a rather high 90.

I suggest people who watch go Fullscreen and imagine 1600p instead.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sakG1-lU2Vk&hd=1

So wait, the ENB mod is running on DX9?

whoa

angular graphics said:
With a higher FoV, you see less of the guns and miss some of their cool animations etc: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=120514

Joke? Why would I rather have guns take up half my screen when I can see more of the environment.

Dennis

Banned
Baller said:
So wait, the ENB mod is running on DX9?

whoa
Yes.

Now imagine if poor Boris the ENB guy could afford a DX11 card.....

I honestly don't understand why Nvidia or AMD doesn't throw one of their top DX11 cards his way. He is doing a better job promoting uptake of high-end GPUs than they are!

Giving him a card is nothing compared to their marketing budgets.

Dennis

Banned
Baller said:
Is there a guide somewhere for how to set this up? I don't understand what I'm supposed to do with the 2 random DLL's on the website.
On this page

http://enbdev.com/index_en.html

Go to Downloads and download

Deus Ex Human Revolution 0.087 FX IMPLANT v2.0

easy to install per the readme.

I didn't have to install any DDL's - I just did what the readme told me to do.

Bear

Lyphen said:
The LOD pop in at :18. Couldn't help but laugh.

Happens again at 1:30.

ENB is looking quite good so far, I've had it since it came out and having proper reflections is nice. Still feels like a WIP though, I can't wait to see what it looks like in a few weeks' time.

Yikes! I guess ENB is good for bullshotting, but boy does it make playing the game suck. My load times are now a good 20-30 seconds longer and the framerate looks like it's constantly stuttering, despite running at 60fps.

Yeah.. time to figure out how to uninstall. Should have known better than to try another graphics mod. -_-

Bear

I don't have any stuttering problem (I have the speedhack installed too, if that helps), but the longer load times are really annoying. A few times I thought the game froze on me while loading.

karlhungis

Neo Member
Sorry for the stupid question, but how similar is this game to Alpha Protocol? I just picked that up on the steam sale and will be getting this soon and I was just wondering if they are relatively similar or not.

Here's what I think would have made for a much better ending to the game.

First of all, scrap the zombie augs. That was too much, really. Keep the final level in Panchea, though -- I thought it was an awesome area for the finale. Obviously either scrap the Zhou fight entirely, or actually turn it into a respectable boss fight (probably the former, I don't think anyone would really miss Zhou as a character).

Give us a tiny bit more closure with Megan. At least some sort of choice for a final confrontation with her. I'm fine with leaving her involvement in everything vague and up to player deduction, but I felt there needed to be a bit more there.

A lot of this would take a drastic restructuring of the plot, and I'm not sure how they would do it, but...I would have liked either Darrow to have been dropped from the plot, or to have there be more to him in the game. The final confrontation with him was satisfying, I'll admit. But you meet him, what, once in the game? When it all comes down to it, the game never really had a clear cut "antagonist".

Endings that required more then just sitting in a room and choosing which button to push.

Something slightly more to connect it to the DX1 plot. I remember hearing early on from some developer that they wanted to include the formation of UNATCO at the end of the game? I still stand by the fact that the bombing of the Statue of Liberty and formation of UNATCO would have been an amazing way to end the game. Of course it would have been largely fan service, but is that a bad thing?

Either way...the ending kind of left a weird taste in my mouth. The rest of the game was unbelievably awesome, but the end was just weird. Not necessarily terrible, just...weird.

One of the big things I feel that the game missed out on was exploring more issues than JUST augmentation. I felt like that was the main message of the entire game, with very few "sub" threads. It was all just a big debate about human augmentation. That's all anyone even wanted to talk about, whether they were high up executives in the industry or bum #32 on the streets. I felt like DX1 didn't have a single issue that it focused on: rather, it was a conglomeration of different aspects and themes. Conspiracies, government, politics, terrorism, augmentation, technology, artificial intelligence...

I was also saddened that there wasn't really anything as effective as
discovering that the MJ12 base your stuck in is really all below UNATCO. And then having to escape from your previous offices and speaking to those you knew along the way. Or discovering a hidden MJ12 base in the sewers of NYC (completely optional, too). Or the dilemma of how to approach the Lebedev - Navarre situation. Or being given the choice to either let your brother die or to fight it out with him. Or poignant moments like rescuing (or not) Savage's daughter. Or something so simple yet as effective as the DuClare Chateau.

Although, even with all of my complaints, I still loved the game. It was better than I thought it would be, better than it should have been really. Definitely deserves the title of a Deus Ex game.

Also, the music in this game is great, but...man, I really miss the DX1 music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX0hU7jQ5O4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vTvHsHx4TM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHQZNNajxOk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBPK_oXeJgA

So good.

Replicant

Kole_Koiott said:
Does anyone else suffer from motion sickness while playing this game? I'm playing the PC version, perhaps some settings that could be changed? Anyway, i'd appreciate any advice.

Yes! The first time I played it I got so motion-sick that I had to sleep off the night. Thankfully the next day I don't feel sick anymore. Also, walking while crouching helps to reduce the shaking effect.

AniHawk said:
so i beat this game yesterday. wasn't bad or terrific. so i don't know why its official thread is over 18k in posts.

Your opinion is terrible. Mine, however, is great. The only reason I've avoiding the OT is because of spoilers. I am loving this game. In fact Gears 3 is sitting still in the Gamefly case since last week.

I just popped in here to say it's amazing! What a great game. The sidequests feel like they aren't actually sidequests. So great. I'm on 7 during the loading screen whatever that means.

Troidal

Finished the game, like many have already mentioned, it starts off strong and doesn't really keep the momentum towards the later half. The last mission was like a different game
(Left 4 Dead much?)
and the ending was a let down.

Right now, I have to say Human Revolution and Invisible Wars are about the same in terms of gameplay and story. Both games do have at least two different paths to infiltrate a building, but the map is not big enough so you end up seeing what the other path is at some point. Both games also have very limited augmentation options. It just shows that the original DX had so much more options for players.

The boss fights do feel like it was tacked on and made the game a little too archaic. The third boss was annoying.
I read that if you didn't install the biochip, you wouldn't have all those EMP interferences...I don't remember when I was given the choice NOT to install the damn biochip. God, I guess I was really not paying attention to the story.

Even though I ignored a lot of the previews, those trailers really did its job hyping the game up. The story in the trailer actually looked more intriguing than the one in the game, and the CG was definitely better looking. Oh, I was fooled once again by the wonderful PR machines.

With that said, it's a pretty solid game but went slightly below my expectations. It's probably my fault for putting the expectations so high next to DX. Thief 3 was awesome compared to how Invisible Wars turned out, I hope that it will be the same for Thief 4.

Blizzard

Banned
Troidal said:
Right now, I have to say Human Revolution and Invisible Wars are about the same in terms of gameplay and story. Both games do have at least two different paths to infiltrate a building, but the map is not big enough so you end up seeing what the other path is at some point. Both games also have very limited augmentation options. It just shows that the original DX had so much more options for players.
I think almost everything I've heard puts you in the minority here. :/ Did you like Invisible War?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Troidal said:
Right now, I have to say Human Revolution and Invisible Wars are about the same in terms of gameplay
This is lunacy. I'm sorry, and you can say what you want storywise (though HR's appeals to me personally much more), but the advances in gameplay since Invisible War are immense, and quite frankly the same is true of this game in comparison to the original Deus Ex.

Hear me out for a second. I know the absolutely ludicrous level of freedom and varieties of tackling different situations from the original is not here. There are a lot of subtle things, like recharging health, that completely change the feel of the game in the middle of a level. There is a huge list of things the first one does better. But in terms of how fun it is to play... I'm in the middle of a session right now and after bypassing a bunch of guards completely, I then, just for the hell of it, sliced the hell out of two and continued on my merry way.

I try to think about "rating" the game this way: it's in the Deus Ex franchise. But if I was going to recommend a game to a huge number of my friends, many of whom would be getting it on console and play mostly online FPS and fighting games, it would appear pretty incredible to them to just sit down and play with no prior experience, and that is quite an accomplishment. It seems minor to those of us who have played all three games, or know about the might of the Dragon's Tooth... but I'm sure a lot of the development cycle was spent making sure it played like that.

Anyway, compared to Invisible War in particular, that's crazy.

edit: Also I should mention that, especially in light of following this thread, playing without caring about achievements seems way more fun. For the record I'm playing it on the hardest difficulty (Give Me Deus Ex) on my first playthrough, which is how I always play games I like.

Troidal said:
Finished the game, like many have already mentioned, it starts off strong and doesn't really keep the momentum towards the later half. The last mission was like a different game
(Left 4 Dead much?)
and the ending was a let down.

The boss fights do feel like it was tacked on and made the game a little too archaic. The third boss was annoying.
I read that if you didn't install the biochip, you wouldn't have all those EMP interferences...I don't remember when I was given the choice NOT to install the damn biochip. God, I guess I was really not paying attention to the story.

Even though I ignored a lot of the previews, those trailers really did its job hyping the game up. The story in the trailer actually looked more intriguing than the one in the game, and the CG was definitely better looking. Oh, I was fooled once again by the wonderful PR machines.

With that said, it's a pretty solid game but went slightly below my expectations. It's probably my fault for putting the expectations so high next to DX. Thief 3 was awesome compared to how Invisible Wars turned out, I hope that it will be the same for Thief 4.

Stopped there. HR = IW?

Yo no se senor.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
wtfwps4.jpg

Is this supposed to happen? I think I discovered the secret upside down city.

Troidal

Yeah I thought Invisible War was ok, but I wouldn't say I hated it so I guess I am in the minority.

I meant, like the map size and design. I just felt the world was very limited and both games share that. IW was worst because there was so much load time in between sections, but even then, HR didn't really have a big set piece either. It's either the door, or hacking the terminal, or the vents. No multi-tool, no third path leading to a completely different part of the building, there wasn't much of a surprise really.

I'm still trying to settle my feelings with HR, right now it just feels like it was less than my expectations, maybe another play through might change my opinion on that. Again, I probably had such high hopes for it and just venting.

snack

AniHawk said:
so i beat this game yesterday. wasn't bad or terrific. so i don't know why its official thread is over 18k in posts.
I agree with you. Game felt a bit overrated. I beat it without finishing every quest so maybe I'm missing out?

Troidal said:
Yeah I thought Invisible War was ok, but I wouldn't say I hated it so I guess I am in the minority.

I meant, like the map size and design. I just felt the world was very limited and both games share that. IW was worst because there was so much load time in between sections, but even then, HR didn't really have a big set piece either. It's either the door, or hacking the terminal, or the vents. No multi-tool, no third path leading to a completely different part of the building, there wasn't much of a surprise really.

I'm still trying to settle my feelings with HR, right now it just feels like it was less than my expectations, maybe another play through might change my opinion on that. Again, I probably had such high hopes for it and just venting.

In terms of multi-tools, I don't really miss them. Lockpicks and multi-tools were essentially the same thing, and all HR did is consolidate them into the hacking game.

In regards to third paths, I think there's a fair amount of those. At least in my playthrough, I seemed to run into quite a few alternate paths to situations. Nothing like DX1 of course, but it was definitely there. And I think it'll really take a second playthrough before I can really make up my mind on that particular aspect.

Troidal

SenseiJinx said:
In terms of multi-tools, I don't really miss them. Lockpicks and multi-tools were essentially the same thing, and all HR did is consolidate them into the hacking game.

That's the thing though. Too many hacking mini-game. Lockpicks or multi-tools allowed you to ignore that and break open the door instead. I do miss that option.

Troidal said:
That's the thing though. Too many hacking mini-game. Lockpicks or multi-tools allowed you to ignore that and break open the door instead. I do miss that option.

You can break open doors in HR.

And while I'm with you on the fact that there are too many hacking mini-games, they're short and pretty fun still. And honestly I would rather do the hacking game then sit there and wait for the lockpicks to finish, or for the Icebreaker to automatically hack something. Took about the same amount of times as hacking did.

SenseiJinx said:
You can break open doors in HR.

And just because a lot of people seem to have missed this (not sure how -- every door has the obvious "Hard" or whatever label, with an HP meter perfectly visible), here's proof:

dxhr2011-09-2723-18-36-07.jpg

dxhr2011-09-2723-18-59-05.jpg

i just stared playing this tonight (xbox 360). i finished the first mission at the facility where you have to talk the spanish dude into letting the female plant manager go. i'm not really feeling it. it's unfortunate because i was really excited about this game.

will it get better or am i not going to warm up to it if i haven't liked it so far? i've been playing stealth and no kill and realize i haven't really even begun to upgrade my character, so i'm thinking there's a chance it will become more engaging. i felt like it was really difficult to go through the part that i played using a stealth and non-lethal approach. i'm thinking it may become more fun as i upgrade my character...?

MikeHaggar said:
i just stared playing this tonight (xbox 360). i finished the first mission at the facility where you have to talk the spanish dude into letting the female plant manager go. i'm not really feeling it. it's unfortunate because i was really excited about this game.

will it get better or am i not going to warm up to it if i haven't liked it so far? i've been playing stealth and no kill and realize i haven't really even begun to upgrade my character, so i'm thinking there's a chance it will become more engaging. i felt like it was really difficult to go through the part that i played using a stealth and non-lethal approach. i'm thinking it may become more fun as i upgrade my character...?

I didn't really like that first mission either. It was exploring Detroit for the first time that the game really clicked for me. My recommendation is to keep going. Take your time in Detroit, and do some sidequests. They're worth it. And yes, stealth becomes better and more satisfying once you get some more weapons and stealth augs.

IoCaster

Korigama said:
They wind up saying this even if you play non-lethal.

Ah, didn't know that since I don't play pacifist, but that doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. It's only on the single display in the Picus pen and I only noticed it the last time I played the game.

Troidal

SenseiJinx said:
And just because a lot of people seem to have missed this (not sure how -- every door has the obvious "Hard" or whatever label, with an HP meter perfectly visible), here's proof:

I've done this, but would make a lot of noises ;) Not suitable for a stealth playthrough I imagine.

Replicant

I finally get to kill ALL of the goons who massacre the innocent people in that pod garden. It felt so good. My first playthrough was all pacifist and sneaking around but now I can go full-throttle. It's so nice being able to use cloak, get in the middle of a few soldiers, and typhoon the hell out of them.

NOKYARD

Troidal said:
I've done this, but would make a lot of noises ;) Not suitable for a stealth playthrough I imagine.
It shouldn't be a problem. I decided to blow up walls with my abundant frag mines instead of wasting energy punching through them. Even though it was noisy the AI quickly went back to patrol state.

I just bought this today. I played for about thirty minutes, and thought it was pretty cool. The cover controls felt really weird though, but that's obviously not enough to ruin my enjoyment

IoCaster

MikeHaggar said:

Why are you playing non-lethal? Why force yourself to play a game in a manner that could potentially lessen the fun factor? Is it because of the achievement? I don't think I'll ever understand this. Not to mention that 'pacifist' doesn't really make much sense within the context of the story.

Top Bottom