• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

NOKYARD said:
o1Uu1.jpg

It was funny to hear her cleavage talk.

I took a similar picture. Wonder if the game just glitches out in the same spots for everyone? I was in Detroit and saw a guy fall through the ground while walking.

So I finally got this for PC, should I go straight to the ENB mod? I've read a lot about stuttering and stuff that this mod (kinda?) fixes. Or is it so far unstable? I have a HD5850 and a non-SB i5 CPU, sorta mid-range by today's standards, but should let me crank up some settings I guess.

AniHawk

snack said:
I agree with you. Game felt a bit overrated. I beat it without finishing every quest so maybe I'm missing out?

the game without sidequests would definitely suck a lot. i agree with the guy who is otherwise incorrect when he said they don't feel like sidequests. a couple of them add background to the story, too.

plus it's good for exp, which makes your adam more awesome.

it's definitely not a bad game though, and i don't think it's overrated. i think it's pretty straightforward though, and i'm surprised to see a single player game that isn't part of a huge, established franchise get so much attention here.

my favorite part of the game was when i remembered that i hated achievements/trophies. i had been not killing people because i tend to want to be the good guy in games like these, and at some point i learned of the pacifist achievement so i tried going for that. but then i ran into a part
with a downed helicopter
and said fuck it and started killing those bastards. they were obviously showing no mercy to someone clearly in trouble, unlike almost everywhere else in the game where you are the invader and it's simply a job they were hired for to keep people out.

Borman

Just beat it using OnLive. A mostly smooth experience really. Enjoyed the game, apart from a few small things, but Id still recommend it to people.

Cantstandya

Neo Member
I should be doing hw said:
So I finally got this for PC, should I go straight to the ENB mod? I've read a lot about stuttering and stuff that this mod (kinda?) fixes. Or is it so far unstable? I have a HD5850 and a non-SB i5 CPU, sorta mid-range by today's standards, but should let me crank up some settings I guess.

The latest patch fixed the stuttering for me and i have a much older CPU (core 2 duo e6400, Geforce 460 GTX) , so you probably won't have any problems.

Dennis

Banned
I should be doing hw said:
Officially, the ENB mod is Nvidia GPUs only. There are some claims of getting it to work on AMD GPUs but I have not looked into it.

SenseiJinx said:

This is hilariously
horrifyingly
yellow

Korigama

IoCaster said:
Why are you playing non-lethal? Why force yourself to play a game in a manner that could potentially lessen the fun factor? Is it because of the achievement? I don't think I'll ever understand this. Not to mention that 'pacifist' doesn't really make much sense within the context of the story.
I enjoyed myself quite a bit in spite of playing non-lethal/stealth on my first run. In a way, figuring out how to get through places without killing anyone or being noticed felt almost like solving a puzzle. Personally, I don't see how it makes any less sense for a security chief attempting to maintain a low profile when dealing with most scenarios (i.e., ones that don't involve the bosses or
ambushes like the Alice Garden Pods or the crash at the construction site
).

Of course, I'm not going to lie and say the trophies/achievements weren't motivators, but I couldn't have been bothered to care sticking with that approach if I found it boring or frustrating. However, I would also be lying if I said I'm not looking forward to employing a mixed lethal/non-lethal approach the next time I play.

koji

Kole_Koiott said:
Does anyone else suffer from motion sickness while playing this game? I'm playing the PC version, perhaps some settings that could be changed? Anyway, i'd appreciate any advice.

Yeah, same here. I switched from playing with a controller to kb/mouse, don't have it as hard now though but I still get it. Sucks.

IoCaster

Korigama said:
I enjoyed myself quite a bit in spite of playing non-lethal/stealth on my first run. In a way, figuring out how to get through places without killing anyone or being noticed felt almost like solving a puzzle. Personally, I don't see how it makes any less sense for a security chief attempting to maintain a low profile when dealing with most scenarios (i.e., ones that don't involve the bosses or
ambushes like the Alice Garden Pods or the crash at the construction site
).

I had plenty of fun killing all of the armed opponents and hiding the bodies without setting off alarms or being seen. That had just as much of the puzzle aspect for me.

If you listen to the idle chatter it's easy to determine that these people (Belltower, Harvesters, DRB, etc,..) are hardy innocent bystanders.
They're murdering or attempting to murder (Sarif employees, @Pods, Sevchenko, Malik, etc,..) folks throughout the course of the game. That's not even counting the many folks they've abducted, killed and left the corpses strewn around that tidy little morgue in Singapore. All of it leading to Panchea and the worldwide slaughter that's initiated there.
In that context, roleplaying the game like Mother Teresa didn't make a damn bit of sense to me. I've played through the game 2.5 times and never had any inclination to adhere to a non-lethal approach. Of course, achievements and trophies mean less than nothing to me. But hey, whatever floats your boat, ya know. *shrug*

Korigama

IoCaster said:
I had plenty of fun killing all of the armed opponents and hiding the bodies without setting off alarms or being seen. That had just as much of the puzzle aspect for me.

If you listen to the idle chatter it's easy to determine that these people (Belltower, Harvesters, DRB, etc,..) are hardy innocent bystanders.
They're murdering or attempting to murder (Sarif employees, @Pods, Sevchenko, Malik, etc,..) folks throughout the course of the game. That's not even counting the many folks they've abducted, killed and left the corpses strewn around that tidy little morgue in Singapore. All of it leading to Panchea and the worldwide slaughter that's initiated there.
In that context, roleplaying the game like Mother Teresa didn't make a damn bit of sense to me. I've played through the game 2.5 times and never had any inclination to adhere to a non-lethal approach. Of course, achievements and trophies mean less than nothing to me. But hey, whatever floats your boat, ya know. *shrug*
Oh, there's no question that there are definitely quite a few bad people you run into. However, I would view Adam killing them as more of an emotional response, rather than one necessary to find the answers he's looking for more often than not. I have no doubt that it's gratifying to put some of them down for good, but the decision to do so has no real bearing upon the mission (exceptions like
Zeke Sanders
aside). But then, I usually view things from a more pragmatic perspective, and non-lethal methods grant more XP. I would picture mixing this with a lethal approach as ideal for picking off anyone left over who would've been ignored otherwise for extra points, more than anything else.

That said, it could be argued that rewarding one approach over the other, as opposed to an even spread whether you kill people or not, is a bit biased.

GhaleonEB

Korigama said:
That said, it could be argued that rewarding one approach over the other, as opposed to an even spread whether you kill people or not, is a bit biased.
This is emerging as one of my major critiques of the game. If you look at the weapon assortment, the upgrade systems for them, an the Praxis categories, combat is more or less on an even level with stealth in terms of options (and arguably with a greater set of options, given the range of lethal weapons). However, the XP system rewards stealth much more richly. IIRC, the XP rewards go like this for taking guys out:

Kill: 10 XP

Kill with headshot: 20 XP

Lethal takedown: 30 XP

Non-Lethal takedown: 50 XP

Double lethal takedown: 85 XP

Double non-lethal takedown: 125 XP

I'm doing a semi-lethal game right now, but the lure of so much more XP is causing me to often alter my play style. I love the juiced up, exploding bullet revolver, but plugging a guy in the chest with it nets just 20% the XP as a non-lethal takedown. And since that adds up to a few more Praxis early in the game, that's the approach I take. I get that they're trying to offer a risk/reward relationship here, where we have to both close distance to down someone, and then stash the body so they are not revived, but the proportions just seem skewed. The weapon upgrades and Praxis augs make combat look appealing, but the XP system is clearly saying otherwise.

Rufus

You won't need the extra XP if you rely on weapons anyway, though I agree that it makes things look weird because we're trained to maximize points.

GhaleonEB

Rufus said:
You won't need the extra XP if you rely on weapons anyway, though I agree that it makes things look weird because we're trained to maximize points.
For me at least, there are a lot of non-combat Praxis I want early on, such as hacking, vertical jump, strength to move objects and fall damage removed, because those all open up the game world for further exploration and resource harvesting (and having more slots in inventory helps on that front as well). When I started this second run, I intended to do it with a greater emphasis on lethal play, but doing so would have meant I upgraded those things more slowly, and thus couldn't explore areas as thoroughly (which in turn meant less XP and even fewer Praxis). It all added up to push me to max my XP collection, because I wanted those upgrades. So it wasn't so much about maxing out points per se (though that's definitely subtle motivation), as wanting to open up the game world and enable me to build my ideal character as quickly as possible. And that meant stealth play.

Tactical Enhancement + Explosive Mission Bundle (preorder content) is up.

Explosive Mission Pack: Unlocks the Tong's Rescue Bonus Mission, the Grenade Launcher, the Remote-Detonated Explosive Device and the Automatic Unlocking Device for Deus Ex: Human Revolution. - $2.99

Tactical Enhancement Pack: Unlocks the Double-Barrel Shotgun, the Silenced Sniper Rifle, and 10,000 extra in-game credits for Deus Ex: Human Revolution. - $1.99

Buy both for $3.99

Scapegoat

shagg_187 said:

Explosive Mission Pack: Unlocks the Tong's Rescue Bonus Mission, the Grenade Launcher, the Remote-Detonated Explosive Device and the Automatic Unlocking Device for Deus Ex: Human Revolution. - $2.99

Tactical Enhancement Pack: Unlocks the Double-Barrel Shotgun, the Silenced Sniper Rifle, and 10,000 extra in-game credits for Deus Ex: Human Revolution. - $1.99

Buy both for $3.99
Cool. Glad they put them up. Will grab them for my hard/lethal playthrough!

Lothars

shagg_187 said:

Buy both for $3.99

It's also available on the Xbox Marketplace and probably next week will be on PSN.

slicknick27

Neo Member
koji said:
Yeah, same here. I switched from playing with a controller to kb/mouse, don't have it as hard now though but I still get it. Sucks.

Try setting the FOV to 90 in options. I played the entire game for hours on end with no queasy feeling at all (and I'm notoriously bad with most FPS games).

If the game has a FOV 90 option that 9 times out of 10 works for me.

Korigama

shagg_187 said:

Buy both for $3.99
$4 for both sounds in line with what I was expecting. Will have to wait for them to show up on PSN, though.

On the steam store page for Human Revolution it has an option to buy both DLC packs for $4.98, but if you go to the store page for either DLC they have a bundle for both at $3.99. Don't get duped!

epmode

shagg_187 said:

Buy both for $3.99
The best part is how all of these items have been in your game from the start. And you can even use them with that debug mode hack on PC. But hey, gotta milk you for every last dollar, right?

Derrick01

Banned
The explosive pack is worth it for everything else but the mission, which is like 20 minutes long at most and very boring. You can get a few auto unlock tools right when you start the detroit hub which can help unlock some higher stuff very early, really useful stuff.

Sidequest question, early game:

Okay so the guy you can let go from the first mission, that takes the woman hostage, he just gave me a pocket secretary with some info on it. The sidequest indicator disappeared, so I was wondering what this is used for?

GhaleonEB

shagg_187 said:

Buy both for $3.99

The copy I have has the code for this in the box, but I haven't redeemed it. How does this...work? Where do the weapons show up at? The extra mission thingy?

GhaleonEB said:
The copy I have has the code for this in the box, but I haven't redeemed it. How does this...work? Where do the weapons show up at? The extra mission thingy?

No, they just magically appear in your inventory during the first mission post-augmentation (the warehouse hostage rescue one). Given how huge the sniper rifle is, it's pretty terrible for inventory space.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
robotzombie said:
Sidequest question, early game:

Okay so the guy you can let go from the first mission, that takes the woman hostage, he just gave me a pocket secretary with some info on it. The sidequest indicator disappeared, so I was wondering what this is used for?

It has a security hub password IIRC, for one of the upcoming missions.

Troidal

Will it magically appear on any saved file? I am about to head to wrap things up in Detroit and head to Hengsha on my 2nd playthrough.

IoCaster

Korigama said:
Oh, there's no question that there are definitely quite a few bad people you run into. However, I would view Adam killing them as more of an emotional response, rather than one necessary to find the answers he's looking for more often than not.

I think it's comical and somewhat whimsical that you would characterize the lethal approach as somehow 'emotion' based. My perspective is that the pacifist approach is the one that's based almost singularly on emotion. It makes no sense otherwise. The lethal path is almost entirely based on logic and practicality. There's a good and practical reason why you would choose to kill the enemy. There is no logical or practical reason to spare them.

I'll grant you that with the Purity First guys you can bundle them up and hand them off to SWAT, but there's no option to do that with any other enemy. Your choices are limited to sneak by, knock out or kill. With any choice other than kill, you're essentially sparing the bad guys so that they can continue to do bad things for no logical or practical reason.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Just finished up the first boss and I must say this game is nowhere near as fun as the original. I'm just going to beat it quickly one time then sell it to Amazon.

Don't know when I'm going to stop falling for the GAF hype. It's been wrong for me every single time.

Hm...not sure if I want the explosive mission pack at all. (I already have the contents of the other pack, from getting it off of Amazon.) I've heard the mission isn't all that great, and I watched the entire thing off of YouTube anyway Are the extra items/weapons worth it?

EDIT:

With the tactical enhancement pack, you get those both when you start the first mission. The sniper rifle and the shotgun just get put in your inventory, along with the money. And with the pack with the extra mission, I'm pretty sure that you get the grenade launcher as a reward for finishing the quest, and the other items are given around that time as well.

Korigama

IoCaster said:
I think it's comical and somewhat whimsical that you would characterize the lethal approach as somehow 'emotion' based.
I was referring more to the scenarios you mentioned (
i.e.,the desire to avenge the people slain in the Alice Garden Pods, going on a rampage to save Malik
)...playing the hero and striking down people like Belltower, Purity First, and the harvesters, that sort of thing, as opposed to pursuing your own interests and only eliminating immediate obstacles. Since, with the exception of
saving Malik (I could mention the hostage situation as well, provided you make use of your time at Sarif HQ, but even then going lethal or non-lethal doesn't matter)
, it still does nothing to prevent any of what they do from happening in the first place, let alone put an end to their activities altogether, I see it as making no difference. What I'm saying is, I view your perspective as the idealistic one when you seem to be under the (mistaken) impression that mine is. The reasons for my actions in dealing with the enemy aren't rooted in compassion.
My perspective is that the pacifist approach is the one that's based almost singularly on emotion. It makes no sense otherwise. The lethal path is almost entirely based on logic and practicality. There's a good and practical reason why you would choose to kill the enemy. There is no logical or practical reason to spare them.

I'll grant you that with the Purity First guys you can bundle them up and hand them off to SWAT, but there's no option to do that with any other enemy. Your choices are limited to sneak by, knock out or kill. With any choice other than kill, you're essentially sparing the bad guys so that they can continue to do bad things for no logical or practical reason.
This would be all well and good, but this stance on how things should work in real life doesn't line up with how this game is balanced. The way this game is designed, it's both more logical and practical to use non-lethal methods to maximize XP.

Fundamentally, it makes little difference to me whether people like those associated with Purity First, or any of the other offending factions, live or die: sparing them is simply more profitable. If killing everyone yielded the more favorable rewards, I'd just as well do that instead.

Replicant

Korigama said:
This would be all well and good, but this stance on how things should work in real life doesn't line up with how this game is balanced. The way this game is designed, it's both more logical and practical to use non-lethal methods to maximize XP.

Not to mention that on "Give Me Deus Ex", it's suicidal to go gun-blazing while being surrounded by enemies. If you want to go gun-blazing, at least find a corner where you can tunnel the enemies so you won't be flanked left, right, front, and behind by them. To me it's more logical to avoid them unless I really feel like killing all of them like in the pod garden.

Korigama said:
I was referring more to the scenarios you mentioned (
i.e.,the desire to avenge the people slain in the Alice Garden Pods, going on a rampage to save Malik
)...playing the hero and striking down people like Belltower, Purity First, and the harvesters, that sort of thing, as opposed to pursuing your own interests and only eliminating immediate obstacles. Since, with the exception of
saving Malik (I could mention the hostage situation as well, provided you make use of your time at Sarif HQ, but even then going lethal or non-lethal doesn't matter)
, it still does nothing to prevent any of what they do from happening in the first place, let alone put an end to their activities altogether, I see it as making no difference. What I'm saying is, I view your perspective as the idealistic one when you seem to be under the (mistaken) impression that mine is. The reasons for my actions in dealing with the enemy aren't rooted in compassion.

Fundamentally, it makes little difference to me whether people like those associated with Purity First, or any of the other offending factions, live or die: sparing them is simply more profitable. If killing everyone yielded the more favorable rewards, I'd just as well do that instead.

I thought that these kinds of decisions led to so me interesting themes, so to speak. For instance, when invading
Tai Yong Medical, you could go crazy and just kill everyone trying to get to Zhao. Or you can stealth your way through it, and be completely non-lethal. I chose the first route, not because of achievements or anything, but because I felt that Adam wouldn't want to become the same as those that invaded Sarif.

It could have ending up being basically an exact mirror image of what happened to them: an augmented agent goes through their headquarters, kills innocents -- and soldiers -- along the way, finishes his job, then escapes. I didn't think Adam would want to become like those that screwed his life up, and would thus seek a non-lethal way to approach things.

But even if you chose the opposite way, it could be argued that he had become cold and calculating, and would do anything to achieve his means.

It's interesting choices like these that really make DX for me.

phinious

So I am at what I think is
the third boss, the one that interferes with your augments. I cannot beat this guy at all. Every time I wail on him, but eventually get hit with grenades. Any tips?

phinious said:
the third boss, the one that interferes with your augments. I cannot beat this guy at all. Every time I wail on him, but eventually get hit with grenades. Any tips?

Turn the difficulty down? That's what I had to do. =/ Of course, if you're going for achievements, I guess that wouldn't work.

Korigama

SenseiJinx said:
I thought that these kinds of decisions led to so me interesting themes, so to speak. For instance, when invading
Tai Yong Medical, you could go crazy and just kill everyone trying to get to Zhao. Or you can stealth your way through it, and be completely non-lethal. I chose the first route, not because of achievements or anything, but because I felt that Adam wouldn't want to become the same as those that invaded Sarif.

It could have ending up being basically an exact mirror image of what happened to them: an augmented agent goes through their headquarters, kills innocents -- and soldiers -- along the way, finishes his job, then escapes. I didn't think Adam would want to become like those that screwed his life up, and would thus seek a non-lethal way to approach things.

But even if you chose the opposite way, it could be argued that he had become cold and calculating, and would do anything to achieve his means.

It's interesting choices like these that really make DX for me.
It is rather interesting (I tend to enjoy it when a game inspires debates such as these). Another take is the belief that truly achieving Adam's objectives through stealth shouldn't entail confronting enemies (bosses excluded, of course) at all, which led to one player attempting to play through the game just like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94TuvveHexI

This was the player.

Jerk

Banned
phinious said:
Yeah your prolly right=( ugh

Run. A lot (you should never be on the same side of a wall as him).

He follows a pattern: Grenade->Attack last known position.

Exploit that and make sure you never stay too close to him (shoot him from cover).

Frag Grenades also do a lot of damage; exploit that.

Troidal

phinious said:

I was almost tempted to lower the difficulty but
you can beat him by going close to him and do a takedown. Sometimes, it fails and he jumps behind your back, I dunno how I succeeded, but just kept mashing the takedown button. I really hated that boss and didn't know that not taking the biochip was an option.

Replicant

phinious said:

See, I don't understand why anyone would
accept Chinese knock-off chip over whatever Sarif had installed on Adam. I'd trust Sarif first before Tai Yong Medical, which we already know is controlled by several suspicious characters.

SHAZOOM

Replicant said:
See, I don't understand why anyone would
accept Chinese knock-off chip over whatever Sarif had installed on Adam. I'd trust Sarif first before Tai Yong Medical, which we already know is controlled by several suspicious characters.

I actually thought
getting the chip
made for a interesting turn of events. It totally felt like
3rd Boss fight
was balanced more around that happening.

SHAZOOM

SenseiJinx said:
So my brain just exploded. Apparently Elias Toufexis (the voice of Adam) is married to Michelle Boback (the voice of Megan).

Makes that conversation in the Elevator at the beginning seem more authentic, huh? :)

GhaleonEB

sazabirules said:
The third boss is so cheap. I can't beat him without my augs.
I carried the turret I hacked from the very beginning of that area all the way through to him, sort of testing how far I could take it. Never had to fire a shot - dude stepped from around the corner, got caught in the turret fire, danced for ten seconds and died. It was glorious.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
GhaleonEB said:
I carried the turret I hacked from the very beginning of that area all the way through to him, sort of testing how far I could take it. Never had to fire a shot - dude stepped from around the corner, got caught in the turret fire, danced for ten seconds and died. It was glorious.

What's not glorious is I can't hack turrets and the only gun I've upgraded is my pistol since I'm doing a stealth/pacifist save. I know there's a bunch of weapons laying around but I've died about 20 times fighting him. This is extremely frustrating and I didn't have a problem with the other bosses. I've tried every strategy listed.

Top Bottom