• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Swifty

coldvein said:
it got off to a kinda slow start, but this has turned into my GOTY so far. can't wait to finish and replay it in a different way.

the silly thing about it, to me, is the story. it's structure is so predictable. like:

who did this? person A

*find person A*

well what you gotta say about that? "it wasn't me, i was just a puppet for person B!"

*find person B*

so why'd you do that? "i'm just a puppet! talk to person C!"

*find person C* "i'm just a puppet, too! really! you will never imagine the REAL PUPPETMASTER! but look for him here. his name is person D".

*find person D*

so what the fuck, this is getting tiring. did you make the shit happen or not? "NO, i'm just a puppet! you will never imagine who the real puppetmasters are! they don't even have NAMES!"

me: okay, fuck, i get it. jesus christ. at this point i don't even care anymore and i think i'll just murder everyone.
i'm not saying it's the illuminati.

but it's the illuminati.

feel

Game is incredible. Such engrossing atmosphere and gameplay. LOVING IT

Sucks that the
Motherly Ties
sidemission glitched for me and can't be completed. boo
I hate seeing the poor lady standing there in my building's lobby watching me walk by, waiting for me to say something
:(

MaddenNFL64

Letters said:
Game is incredible. Such engrossing atmosphere and gameplay. LOVING IT

Sucks that the
Motherly Ties
sidemission glitched for me and can't be completed. boo
I hate seeing the poor lady standing there in my building's lobby watching me walk by, waiting for me to say something
:(

Kill her. DO IT.

I dare ya.

I double dare ya.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I'm playing pacifist - as much as possible - on my first run through, but next time? I'm killing everybody. We'll see if I run out of ammo before the world of Deus Ex runs out of NPCs.

finowns

Just finished. Fantastic game. The morality in this game felt so natural.

Choice at the end had a lot of weight. I spent 30 min just standing there trying to figure out what to decide.

This is not the edge of the world but you can see it from here. I was like O CRAP!

Edit - WTF! Just saw the little clip after the credits. DAMN YOU REED!!

MaddenNFL64

DennisK4 said:
GOTY contender.

My personal GOTY candidates include this game & Crysis 2. I don't want to bring up some uppity "high level play" bullshit, but I felt like I was decently knowledgeable about Crysis 2's spawn points, maps & gameplay. I felt like a badass taking everyone out efficiently. Same with Deus Ex. Just had a ball wiping out people in an efficient way. I learned where to exactly do this, at this exact moment to get this result. It's not exactly skill, but it feels very satisfying.

They're not exactly alike, and Crysis 2's story is shit, but I love both games. Need to play Gears soon, BF3 coming up too, I may get into that (not a CoD dude).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wallach said:
It really is. I actually like it a little more than Deus Ex.
It's honestly a toss-up for me, and I deeply love the first one.

I posted on it a while back and it's hard to sum up, but I feel like the changes they made to the formula to make the game more accessible were very successful. The mechanics of this game with the wide-open freedom of progression in the original would make one of the best games of all time.

Finowns, use spoiler tags please. go like this (you can quote this post to see how):
stuff to black out

Nelo Ice

Banned
finally beat this game today and wow has to be one of my favorite games of the year! also managed to get foxiest of the hounds and pacifist(on normal) :D

GhaleonEB

bishoptl said:
I'm playing pacifist - as much as possible - on my first run through, but next time? I'm killing everybody. We'll see if I run out of ammo before the world of Deus Ex runs out of NPCs.
This is a mid to late game location spoiler, which I'll tag since I'm not sure how far along you are.

I'm at the second trip to Hengsha, and the streets are littered with a mix of sleeping and dead civilians and Harvesters. I stocked up over 70 rounds of sniper ammo for just this moment. Punching out every dude in line for LIMB was a highlight. There's something about triggering the NPC to speak and then interrupting them with a punch to the face that never gets old.

On my next game, I'm going to fully deplete the post-riot Detroit. Sniper, top of building, headshot bonanza.

Oh, and The Hive? Say hello to level 2 Typhoon in the middle of the bottom floor.

Replicant

Finally platinum'd this game. Overall, one of the least painful platinum effort I had to endure. Only the e-book trophy was mildly annoying.

Finished it, very fun throughout even though I pretty much went all out guns ablazing through the entire game, but the ending surprised me, felt kind of sudden to me and I went WTF when the credits started rolling

Wallach said:
It really is. I actually like it a little more than Deus Ex, I think. Such a stacked year, though.
For me, the first one is still better. But that's ok - after all, the first one is my favourite game.
HR is a worthy sequel, and that's more than enough.

MaddenNFL64

Replicant said:
Finally platinum'd this game. Overall, one of the least painful platinum effort I had to endure. Only the e-book trophy was mildly annoying.

It's one of the easiest, for sure.

Dyni Crippler said:
For me, the first one is still better. But that's ok - after all, the first one is my favourite game.

Agreed. Only thing holding HR back is it's story is just not on par. Gameplay wise, it does many things better, with only a few of HR's design decisions lacking in comparison to the first game.

Worthy sequel indeed.

I finished Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines just yesterday and can't wait to dig into Deus Ex: HR after reading this thread . Vampire turned out to be easily one of the best games I've ever played and there's only one thing keeping me off from starting DE right away: ENB Series

Should I wait for a new version of the ENB Series? The dude working on it said on September 29th a new version is due soon. If I'm not mistaken the current ENB mod runs on DX9 only, right? Do the improved graphics make up for the lack of DX10 and 11 effects? Do you recommend playing the first playthrough with ENB at all?

My rig is pretty good: Phenom II X4 3,4 Ghz, Geforce GTX 570 and 8 GB RAM.

EDIT: Can I install the current ENB version and simply update it once he releases the updated version without losing my save files?

Dyni Crippler said:

Yep, I feel the same. Not as good as the first, but the fact that it comes even close to one of my favorite games is a huge achievement.

I finished Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines just yesterday and can't wait to dig into Deus Ex: HR after reading this thread . Vampire turned out to be easily one of the best games I've ever played and there's only one thing keeping me off from starting DE right away: ENB Series

Should I wait for a new version of the ENB Series? The dude working on it said on September 29th a new version is due soon. If I'm not mistaken the current ENB mod runs on DX9 only, right? Do the improved graphics make up for the lack of DX10 and 11 effects? Do you recommend playing the first playthrough with ENB at all?

My rig is pretty good: Phenom II X4 3,4 Ghz, Geforce GTX 570 and 8 GB RAM.

EDIT: Can I install the current ENB version and simply update it once he releases the updated version without losing my save files?

Not sure about the rest of your questions, since I haven't played with ENB, but I think the game still looks great without it. I'll personally wait until we get a more optimized version, and hopefully a DX11 one.

The game was fucking AWESOME! Just beat it.
I never got the "upgraded" biochip because I figured it would be a trick. Turns out it was... Do you gain anything whatsoever by actually getting the biochip?

aasoncott

Imp the Dimp said:
I finished Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines just yesterday and can't wait to dig into Deus Ex: HR after reading this thread .

High five. I finished Vampire last week. Beating both Vampire and Human Revolution in the same month was gaming bliss. I hope that the success of Human Revolution means everyone and their dog jumping into the genre.

DeadFalling said:
The game was fucking AWESOME! Just beat it.
I never got the "upgraded" biochip because I figured it would be a trick. Turns out it was... Do you gain anything whatsoever by actually getting the biochip?

In the fight with Jaron all of your augmentations get deactivated, making the fight much more difficult. When you meet up with Megan, she injects with some sort of nanomachine that deactivates the biochip so you get your augs back.

Broseybrose

Wallach said:
It really is. I actually like it a little more than Deus Ex, I think. Such a stacked year, though.
Just finished and I agree, GOTY so far (Dark Souls..). I say best AAA game since Bioshock.

Edit- Just think about how well they lived up to the legacy of the original game. They should be given a special award just for that!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
XB360 version.

Chapter 15.

Stairwell.

Freezes before I can go through the doors.

Installing to HDD did not seem to help.

Any ideas guys? A quick Google search reveals that I'm not the only one with this problem but I seem to be short on solutions.

I'm so torn GAF, help me... I just got this game on ps3, still wrapped, as a present. However, I think I might hold off and trade it in for Rage? What say you gentlemen?

Korigama

innervision961 said:
I'm so torn GAF, help me... I just got this game on ps3, still wrapped, as a present. However, I think I might hold off and trade it in for Rage? What say you gentlemen?
Keep this (no reason why not, especially when someone gave it as a present), wait for a price drop on Rage.

soultron

Banned
Late in the game, I'm trying to do the Talion A.D. sidequest, and I'm not sure if it's glitched or not, but I've retrieved a pocket secretary, as instructed, but nothing happens after that. The blue waypoint marker has disappeared. I'm thinking of checking the
sewers in the other districts,
but I find it weird that the waypoint marker didn't change, rather it disappeared altogether.

I'm just worried that if the marker disappeared that it's reflective of a glitch in the game's scripting or something. I'm thinking that even if I go to the right spot, unless the game schedules the correct people to be there, I won't be able to complete the quest. Anyone else have this issue?

Wallach

soultron said:
Late in the game, I'm trying to do the Talion A.D. sidequest, and I'm not sure if it's glitched or not, but I've retrieved a pocket secretary, as instructed, but nothing happens after that. The blue waypoint marker has disappeared. I'm thinking of checking the
but I find it weird that the waypoint marker didn't change, rather it disappeared altogether.

I'm just worried that if the marker disappeared that it's reflective of a glitch in the game's scripting or something. I'm thinking that even if I go to the right spot, unless the game schedules the correct people to be there, I won't be able to complete the quest. Anyone else have this issue?

Everyone experiences that, yeah. You have the right idea.

CatPee

soultron said:

Check the sewer in the giant ditch in the other district.

Korigama

soultron said:

It's a glitch. Check
the sewer entrance outside the Alice Garden Pods, down in the storm drain

Edit: Beaten.

SHAZOOM

I'm pretty sure I've run into a glitch. Whenever I return to Detroit, some computers/locks have been reset so they haven't been unlocked (even though I'm 100% sure I unlocked them). Unfortunately, this also applies to Jensen's Comp at Sarif HQ. So "Acquaintances Forgotten" Sidequest never triggers.

LordAlu

ZealousD said:
XB360 version.

Chapter 15.

Stairwell.

Freezes before I can go through the doors.

Installing to HDD did not seem to help.

Any ideas guys? A quick Google search reveals that I'm not the only one with this problem but I seem to be short on solutions.
Know anyone else with a 360 and a spare 15 mins? You could take your save/GT and disc round and see if you can get past that point on a different 360 (you never know it could be the console). If you can, save and take it home. If you can't you've ruled out your box so it is either a dodgy save or your disc.

thechemist said:
Bit of a noob question but do I get a storage locker to store stuff in, as my sniper rifle is taking up alot of space. Thanks.
Not exactly, but I think you can drop stuff in your apartment. It shouldn't disappear.

Bumhead

Banned
Got to the third boss.

Tempted to file the game away in my "Finished" Steam folder and forget it even exists at this point. I've just attempted the third boss some 30 or so times and not even come close to beating him. Can barely even scratch him.

Ruined the game for me, absolutely awful.

Mat C said:
Got to the third boss.

Tempted to file the game away in my "Finished" Steam folder and forget it even exists at this point. I've just attempted the third boss some 30 or so times and not even come close to beating him. Can barely even scratch him.

Turn the difficulty down for the fight.

Mat C said:
Got to the third boss.

If you want a cheesy way to beat him, wait for him on the opposite end of a wall and bait him into jumping over. You'll get a takedown prompt during the animation that allows you to knock him out in one punch.

Bumhead

Banned
ThoseDeafMutes said:
Turn the difficulty down for the fight.

Way ahead of you on that one. Think I turned it down after being insta-killed for the 10th time and proceeded to get my ass handed to me in a gimped fight for a further 20 or so times on easy..

Mat C said:
Way ahead of you on that one. Think I turned it down after being insta-killed for the 10th time and proceeded to get my ass handed to me in a gimped fight for a further 20 or so times on easy..

Do you have access to your augs? Have you looked up guides to killing him on youtube or something? What weapons, equipment etc do you have access to?

in hengshah, need some tactical advice

im trying to escape the upper level and they set up those cube mechs in those large rooms. i have a rocket launcher with only 4 rockets, 1 emp grenade, and 2 frag grenades. plenty of combat rifle ammo, and a decent amount of (explosive) magnum ammo. (other stuff includes double barrel shotty, flash nades, and whisperhead sniper rifle. i have very few combat related augs.)

it seems like i have to either waste an EMP to take one down, waste rockets to take one down, or peck at it forever with my combat rifle until they kill me with missile splash damage.

is there an easier way of taking them down without using all of my ammo and items? i really want to take them out, as i SUUUUUCK at sneaking. but i feel like a boss fight is close and i want to have ammo left over. (especially my EMP, as it saved my ass with barret)

Replicant

LOL. Those mechs are
Semi-boss of some kind. There is no boss after that until you arrive in Picus News and explore the entire place. By then you'll have a few more stuff to prepare against boss fight. You don't need anything fancy to fight the 2nd human boss anyway. Just use Typhoon level two x 2 times.

As for those mechs, if you don't want to fight them you can sneak into the upper area and turn them off from the control room. But you can kill each one easily with one EMP bomb/Frag grenade each.

thanks, i'll go ahead and try to brute-force them a few more times. maybe change my angle of attack too. the railing gets in my way a little and also fudges the splash damage i receive.

as a side note, i can't get over how perfect the magnum feels. especially now with explosive rounds. i've only ever fired a revolver once in real life, and it oddly didn't kick at all. i squeezed the trigger and then suddenly i couldn't hear anything. (was so loud) so even if the kick in the game isn't too realistic, i have this image in my mind of how it felt holding the revolver i did long ago.

Korigama

SenseiJinx said:
I guess you never played the first game? Nanotechnology is all over that game. And years before MGS4 too.
Nanomachines factored into MGS1 as well, though (and that was two years before DX1). Comparing MGS titles, 2 before 4 as well, but MGS2 was a year after DX1.

Top Bottom