• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Replicant

sazabirules said:
What's not glorious is I can't hack turrets and the only gun I've upgraded is my pistol since I'm doing a stealth/pacifist save. I know there's a bunch of weapons laying around but I've died about 20 times fighting him. This is extremely frustrating and I didn't have a problem with the other bosses. I've tried every strategy listed.

I never understand this kind of response. If you're doing stealth/pacifist game, then obviously you'd have to do a lot of hacking. In that case, you'd spend most of your praxis on hacking augmentations. In that case, why can't you buy the turret aug? Also, the more you hack, the more EXP points you get so technically by the time it's the 3rd boss, you should have been able to have not only Level 1-5 hacking + turret + camera + robot. Not to mention a few other stuff like Typhoon. Unless, of course, you waste it on hacking analysis (which is completely useless) or fortify (not useless but I won't spend too much Praxis points until I got other stuff first).

Unless, the reason you're not hacking is because you're afraid the guards will detect you. But trust me, they're as blind as a mice. You can be hacking merrily behind their back and they wouldn't have a clue! If you are not sure, then knock all of them unconscious first then hack and hack. You can choke their comrade until he's unconscious while two other guards are nearby facing the other way and they wouldn't notice. You'd still pass the stealth/pacifist achievement with flying colors!

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I never bothering putting points into hacking any turrets or robots. I just turn the cameras off and sneak by everything else. I didn't realize a lame boss would come up and make hacking turrets necessary.

Replicant

sazabirules said:
I never bothering putting points into hacking any turrets or robots. I just turn the cameras off and sneak by everything else. You're acting like I'm playing the game "wrong". I didn't realize a lame boss would come up and make hacking turrets necessary.

No one said obtaining the turret is necessary. That's just one of the options. You can spam the boss with a combination of EMP grenades then shoot him or throw Frag grenades while he's incapacitated. The idea is to keep yourself as far away as possible from him while fighting him. Or alternatively, you can return to the point before
you decide to get the replacement chip
. Then you can Typhoon him all you want.

Or as someone else suggested, you can lower the difficulty level.

IoCaster

Korigama said:
I was referring more to the scenarios you mentioned (
i.e.,the desire to avenge the people slain in the Alice Garden Pods, going on a rampage to save Malik
)...playing the hero and striking down people like Belltower, Purity First, and the harvesters, that sort of thing, as opposed to pursuing your own interests and only eliminating immediate obstacles. Since, with the exception of
saving Malik (I could mention the hostage situation as well, provided you make use of your time at Sarif HQ, but even then going lethal or non-lethal doesn't matter)
, it still does nothing to prevent any of what they do from happening in the first place, let alone put an end to their activities altogether, I see it as making no difference. What I'm saying is, I view your perspective as the idealistic one when you seem to be under the (mistaken) impression that mine is. The reasons for my actions in dealing with the enemy aren't rooted in compassion.

This would be all well and good, but this stance on how things should work in real life doesn't line up with how this game is balanced. The way this game is designed, it's both more logical and practical to use non-lethal methods to maximize XP.

Fundamentally, it makes little difference to me whether people like those associated with Purity First, or any of the other offending factions, live or die: sparing them is simply more profitable. If killing everyone yielded the more favorable rewards, I'd just as well do that instead.

I play games like this based on context and internal logic. There is no logical or practical in-game reason to me for Jenson to spare the lives of his enemies. The game is generous enough with XP and Praxis kits so I had no difficulty getting whatever augs I needed while playing stealthy and lethal. There are very few augs that I found to be essential and quite a few that I leveled simply because I had spare Praxis points. Then again I also tend to avoid grinding in RPGs unless it's absolutely necessary.

The main problem with the design of DX:HR is how it leads players to game the system by going pacifist and farming XP. Then they throw boss fights at you where you're locked into an arena in a fight to the death. Look at all of the complaints in this very thread about the issue. They really should not have included a pacifist achievement since it contradicts the internal logic of the game and story.

Got every Praxis kit in the game (even the hidden ones), had 220k~ exp when I finished. Had everything maxed except the lame vision augs, useless 'mark n track', and the useless 'hacking fortify'. Even got the 3rd Praxis kit my first time through Detroit, Level 5 hacking is awesome!

LordAlu

sazabirules said:
You can't if you installed the biochip.
Damn, really? I didn't bother. Got any mines? You could throw all your mines at him right at the start and take him out pretty easily.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Troidal said:
That is not true. I had it too but it works. The context menu just doesn't show up.

I couldn't get it to work after trying several times so I didn't know that. I finally beat the boss a different way.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
IoCaster said:
I play games like this based on context and internal logic. There is no logical or practical in-game reason to me for Jenson to spare the lives of his enemies.

Actually I thought there was a very persuasive reason for trying to keep everyone alive, namely that Adam is not a police officer any more, but is essentially hired security. The litigation and associated costs that Serif would incur if Adam ran about killing everyone he met (even if they "deserved" it) would be enormous, so given that my first run through was as "loyal company man", I thought there would be a good incentive to take people out non-fatally and to try to talk my way through obstacles instead of immediately pulling out my gun.

GhaleonEB

luxarific said:
Actually I thought there was a very persuasive reason for trying to keep everyone alive, namely that Adam is not a police officer any more, but is essentially hired security. The litigation and associated costs that Serif would incur if Adam ran about killing everyone he met (even if they "deserved" it) would be enormous, so given that my first run through was as "loyal company man", I thought there would be a good incentive to take people out non-fatally and to try to talk my way through obstacles instead of immediately pulling out my gun.
And then there's me, who lined up four knocked out guards and shot them each in the head for good measure, execution style. They were a pain to take down. Not to mention the steep decline in the homeless population in Detroit.

I'm a very mellow, nice person in real life, but boy does this kind of game bring out my violent side.

IoCaster

luxarific said:

I would guess that if you go around busting down doors and blowing shit up that might be a concern. I prefer to use the stealth option when I'm nailing the bad guys. Playing a lethal ghost is loads of fun.

Korigama

luxarific said:
This sounds about right (international incidents would generate considerable negative press for Sarif Industries, a company which already has enough PR problems as it is).

I just watched the cutscene
where Sarif tells Jensen that the Illuminati is behind everything.
I'm curious, about how far through the game am I?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
DeadFalling said:
I just watched the cutscene
where Sarif tells Jensen that the Illuminati is behind everything.
I'm curious, about how far through the game am I?
SenseiJinx said:
A little over half, I would say.
I'm not done, but I'm past there, and that cutscene sure felt like the halfway point. :p

1stStrike

Banned
I just started my 2nd play through. I'm doing it on hard and going for lethal (mostly). There's times where you want to be silent and sneak around, but if I have enough ammo and I'm in a situation where I have the advantage, I'm going to unload on them.

I did pick up the DLC packs, which is handy, but I'm tempted to hold off on the later portion of the game until they release that side story DLC pack with the extra level. I really don't think I can play through the game 3 or 4 times as it'd be getting stale by that point.

Rhindle

1stStrike said:
I did pick up the DLC packs, which is handy, but I'm tempted to hold off on the later portion of the game until they release that side story DLC pack with the extra level. I really don't think I can play through the game 3 or 4 times as it'd be getting stale by that point.
Wait, what - are you saying we'd need to start a new game to play the DLC??

1stStrike

Banned
Rhindle said:
Wait, what - are you saying we'd need to start a new game to play the DLC??

Nah, you could keep a game save and go back and just do the DLC mission, but I never do that in games. If I'm going to play the game I go from start to finish and don't just do the DLC mission pack. I'd be compelled to continue the game afterward.

Mooreberg

Uh... I just
defeated the female mercenary aug in the Picus databank
and now when I go to the helicopter that Malik is in, it gives me all the XP, says the mission is complete, autosaves, and then... nothing. No matter how many times I tell her I am ready to go nothing happens. Is this a known issue with the Xbox 360 version? Even Fallout New Vegas never boned me this hard. :-\

I own the pc version, but I am wondering has the long load times on the console versions been improved via patch like they done for the pc version?

And does the console version have any stuttering? I am thinking of going back to the x360 version due to my pc being very loud and all.

Thanks.

coldvein

Banned
it got off to a kinda slow start, but this has turned into my GOTY so far. can't wait to finish and replay it in a different way.

the silly thing about it, to me, is the story. it's structure is so predictable. like:

who did this? person A

*find person A*

well what you gotta say about that? "it wasn't me, i was just a puppet for person B!"

*find person B*

so why'd you do that? "i'm just a puppet! talk to person C!"

*find person C* "i'm just a puppet, too! really! you will never imagine the REAL PUPPETMASTER! but look for him here. his name is person D".

*find person D*

so what the fuck, this is getting tiring. did you make the shit happen or not? "NO, i'm just a puppet! you will never imagine who the real puppetmasters are! they don't even have NAMES!"

me: okay, fuck, i get it. jesus christ. at this point i don't even care anymore and i think i'll just murder everyone.

Truant

Detroit is the game at it's peak, because you really have to work with the few augs you have. Later on, you're turned into a master of all trades, and the game suffers from it.

daviyoung

Banned
coldvein said:
"NO, i'm just a puppet! you will never imagine who the real puppetmasters are! they don't even have NAMES!"

They have a collective name, and in true gamestory style, it's completely ridiculous.

coldvein

Banned
daviyoung said:
They have a collective name, and in true gamestory style, it's completely ridiculous.

the second i heard that word get thrown out, my eyes rolled really, really, really hard into my brain. i don't know if the sockets will ever recover.

ultimately tho, that doesn't really bother me. what bothers me is that i'm pretty sure the writers/planners of this game expected me to be sucked into the story. i'm not fucking 12. c'mon, dudes.

Carcetti

coldvein said:
the second i heard that word get thrown out, my eyes rolled really, really, really hard into my brain. i don't know if the sockets will ever recover.

ultimately tho, that doesn't really bother me. what bothers me is that i'm pretty sure the writers/planners of this game expected me to be sucked into the story. i'm not fucking 12. c'mon, dudes.

Guess you didn't play first Deus Ex?

coldvein said:

This part was terrible because of Adam's reaction to it, makes him look like a complete idiot or like he is seperated from the game world.

Sarif: How did you last mission go?

Jensen: Oh, pretty good. I found a supercomputer AI manipulating the entire world's media while seemingly controlled from a centralized location, I'm not sure what the implications of that are yet...

Sarif: Oh that reminds me, the Illuminati control everything from behind the scenes.

Jensen: Don't be ridiculous, that's impossible.

1stStrike said:
Nah, you could keep a game save and go back and just do the DLC mission, but I never do that in games. If I'm going to play the game I go from start to finish and don't just do the DLC mission pack. I'd be compelled to continue the game afterward.

Actually, Eidos confirmed you won't need a save at that point to play the DLC. It'll just be an option in the main menu.

I finally beat this beauty. 32 hours total.
I have to say this has been my GOTY so far. Which is a huge feat because I consider the boss fights in this game to be some of the worse I have ever encountered and
Panchea
is a terrible last act. Man I really hated that whole section of the game. That being said though I loved the story, the world and Adam Jensen is one BA sucka.

Cant wait for DLC.

Truant said:
Detroit is the game at it's peak, because you really have to work with the few augs you have. Later on, you're turned into a master of all trades, and the game suffers from it.

Perfectly said. I felt the same way. The game was magical when your in Detroit. The missions and exploration provided a feeling of isolation never again matched once you leave.

GhaleonEB

"...and thanks, Spy Boy."

"No problem, Fly Girl."

I tore through that section the second time through, but the lines at the end were just as great the second time around.

Second boss dropped like a rock to Typhoon. Thanks, whoever suggested it.

Dennis

Banned
leng jai said:
Wow the ENB mode runs pretty bad. Stuttering all over the place and it looks pretty washed out on my setup.
ENB looks fantastic and only stutters for me right after loading or entering a new area. Otherwise, its smooth sailing with average fps of 55 at 2560 x 1600 resolution.

Top Bottom