• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - Game Informer details [Up: Additional Details]

injurai

Banned
It's just people who assumed that the whole "Deus Ex: Universe" thing was a MMO when it fact EM said on multiple occasion that it was just a name given to the whole Deus Ex ecosystem (games, books, etc etc). AFAIK they never talked or even hinted at any point that there would be a Deus EX MMO.

It was thought to be an MMO because Square said on multiple occasions that they were reorganizing Eidos to focus on online experiences for all their games.

NySpeed

Micheal McCann NEEEDS to come back to make the score for this!!! So excited to finally hear about this game.

I totally asked for this!

-Jensen is part of a covert, goverment-sponsored task force called Task Force 29, a new bracnh of Interpol, to combat a new breed of terrorism
Nice to see the CSI writers getting work. Hyped for the game despite this description of the villains.

Altazor

oh, and I hope we can finally (here be big Human Revolution spoilers)
kill, incapacitate or... dunno, just permanently ensure that Megan Reed isn't a problem anymore. Duplicitous wench.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Surprisingly nothing, but it's listed as single player in the mag.

I suspect it's actually singleplayer given Square Enix is one of the few companies that still ship singleplayer games, but yeah, since they didn't actually ask Game Informer has made some assumptions on that front before. Thanks though.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
loved HR, this sounds fantastic (though i would have liked to explore a new protagonist.)

i'm all in!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
No mention of them unfucking the XP system?

Worst part of HR was how it rewarded specific types of play. Experience should only be granted for completing objectives, not the method they are completed.

If I sneak through an area undetected or nuke it with rockets, the game should not care XP wise. That's how Deus Ex did things and it was fantastic. Play how you want, not how the developers want.

I suspect it's actually singleplayer given Square Enix is one of the few companies that still ship singleplayer games, but yeah, since they didn't actually ask Game Informer has made some assumptions on that front before. Thanks though.
There might be some sort of online component like Thief's challenge mode (or whatever it was called), with leaderboards and stuff.

But yeah, I hope there isn't a MP myself.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I hope the conversation battles are in, and developed further. Those were some of the best parts of DXHR.

Also curious about the hacking. If they go with a minigame again, they should make sure it's complex and deep enough to support the many, many hacking opportunities available. DXHR's was okay, but got repetitive and boring about a third of the way into the game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Worst part of HR was how it rewarded specific types of play. Experience should only be granted for completing objectives, not the method they are completed.

If I sneak through an area undetected or nuke it with rockets, the game should not care XP wise. That's how Deus Ex did things and it was fantastic. Play how you want, not how the developers want.
Probably my only real concern with this game right now.

I had a feeling the ARG going on right now had something to do with Deus Ex and this is just confirmation...That being said, Human Revolution was really good (in my opinion) and I'm pretty hyped about this even though I know nothing about it. We honestly need more Cyberpunk games in our lives and Deus Ex definitely scratches that itch.

Well beaten

Details:

Story

• Jensen joins a covert government sponsered task force in order to battle a new breed of terrorism.
  • There will be boss fights and they will be handled as they were in the DLC, with multiple ways to defeat them.
  • Eidos won't comment on which ending they feel is canon from the last game, thye may take elements from each.
  • Augmented people are now considered outcasts, Jensen feels responsible, he wants to redeem himself.
  • Jensen wants to uncover who the Illuminati is and bring them down. He joins Task Force 29, a new branch of interpol, who is a group formed to stop augmented-based terrorism.
  • They give Jensen all sorts of new augmentations and weapons, but Jensen does not trust them.
  • Jensen feeds info to another group called the Juggernaut Collective, a covert group of hackers and spies who want to uncover the Illuminati.
  • Devs describe the kind of people in the Juggernaut Collective to be like Fox Mulder style.
  • Often times Jensen will receive conflicting mission goals from Task Force and the Collective and you need to choose which side to help out.

Missions

• They played an early mission where Jensen was sent to Prague to a camp that now houses the augmented people.
  • Prague used to be very progressive, welcoming augs but after the incident they sent them all to an aug ghetto.
  • The Task Force has been following an organization called Augmented Rights Coalition (ARC), they have been branded as a terrorist organization, their leader is an activist named Talos Rucker
  • When you arrive you notice that the ARC is trying to help the aug population by striking deal with police to get medicine, grow their own food, and ensuring safety for the augs.
  • You land in a market district, its very crowded, some people begging for food, cops are arresting an aug.
  • The police in this district control the drug the augs need to survive in order to keep control. Jensen will find a doctor who asks for some supply of the medicine, that is one of the side quests you will find. Many NPCs will give out side quests just as these.
  • One of your informants got arrested, you can talk to his wife to get info, or cause a scene that scares the wife away but leaves the informants apartment open where you may hack into his computer to find info on Rucker.
  • Or you can bypass all that and simply explore and uncover the leads to ARC on your own.
  • Devs said depending on how you play you can go the whole mission without speaking to anyone, or speaking to everyone, you can go full combat or full stealth throughout every part of the game.
  • Side quests will be meaning full, for instance if you deal with a mob early on later in the game the mob boss will come in asking for a favor in the middle of a different mission. If you do a quest for someone early on odds are they will revisit you later in the story with the repercussions of that mission.

Gameplay

• There are twice as many augments in this game, upgrading and finding them remains the same.
  • Tesla is like taser, darts come out of Jensens knuckles and he can lock on and take out up to four guys at once.
  • Mark and track is like marking in far cry.
  • Smart vision is like batman vision, see enemies through walls, takes lots of energy.
  • There is an augment that tracks the mental state of the target to aid in conversation trees.
  • There is armor, a non leathal arm cannon, a nano blade that he can now fire at enemies, silent run.
  • Icarus system now allows Jensen to dash horizontally.
  • There is an augmentation wheel and assignments to the dpad to make using them easier.
  • Hacking will be more challenging with more booby-traps and more tools to make it a better mini game.
  • The energy system is now like dishonered where there is a certain amount of recharge if you wait after using an augment, there are still biocells.
  • They said stealth was not broken so they wont fix it, it will be the same as in HR.
  • One mission run was stealthy, they used the tracking and smart vision to avoid enemies, used the blades to knock out others, hacked a ladder to enter vents and they found Rucker without being seen, he remarks he is glad you did not kill his men,
  • Depending on how you conduct the conversation he may panic and press an alarm, or go with you willingly.
  • The GI mission ended with Rucker saying he may have a terrorist in his group, then he seizes and dies, someone activated his augs to kill him. Now a whole group of armed men are breaking into the room

Combat

• The devs know combat was the weakest part of the game so they made sure to make it better.
  • GI says it feels like a series of scripted set-pieces but none of it is scripted.
  • With the press of a button you can bring up the weapon overlay which allows you to change a weapons fire mode, add augments, change bullets on the fly. They remove the silencer and quick equip some offensive augments.
  • They activate the titan shield and bullets bounce right off of him, this is to encourage players to jump into the action and take more risks.
  • Later enemies will use the same kinds of tactics against you, police will use mech suits to fight you, you will not be the only super human in the game.
  • Enemies will have augments of their own, some have super jumps, some titan shields, they will coordinate tactics to take you down forcing the player to change strategies on the fly.
  • Jensen runs into a green house and with enemies in pursuit, the environment can now be interacted with, he shoots a loose wooden rafter down onto enemies.
  • He uses that distraction to icarus jump through a second story window into the streets of the city.
  • As Jensen runs to his dropship ARC soilders aim to take him out but a general tells them to stand down.
  • This is Viktor Machenko, he is huge with an augmented eye and robot arm, the two stare at each other as Jensen takes off.

There are no plans for a Deus Ex MMO, the Universe was just a marketing name. No importing of saves from HR but now the devs know this is a franchise so that may happen with future titles.

I'm guessing summer. HR did well in the summer.

For sure possible and Q2 would cover till the end of June. The April, May, or June months just seem the perfect time to launch this title. Lately those have become large release months but still not the crazy drowning that is October and November.

Almighty

I completely agree with this. If they went with an objective based XP system I would consider that a huge improvement. Games that give you many options to complete missions/quests/levels need to adopt that system. Players shouldn't have to worry about which method give you the most XP and should just be able to play as they want to.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
For sure possible and Q2 would cover till the end of June. The April, May, or June months just seem the perfect time to launch this title. Lately those have become large release months but still not the crazy drowning that is October and November.
I'm kind of surprised more publishers haven't picked up on how lately a big release in those months thends to do really well. WB capitalizing on it this year.

-Tesla is like taser, darts come out of Jensens knuckles and he can lock on and take out up to four guys at once.
-Mark and track is like marking in far cry.
-Smart vision is like batman vision, see enemies through walls, takes lots of energy.

These all sound like modern "we think the player is a more intelligent rock and this plays the game for him / her" mechanics that I really dislike. I am really tired of marking, auto killing, see throu wall kinda stuff.

d00d3n

I don't think that is correct if you are talking about the original Deus Ex. The game gave lots of extra experience for exploring particular paths. The sad power gaming option was to retrace your steps and doing all the branching paths consecutively to get maximum exp ... (I did this ...)

I hope they vastly decrease the amount of shit you can hack, it was borderline ridiculous in the last game. Hacking everything was also the most consistent way to gain XP.

I remember that you can work long and hard to gain a passcode for a lock, but you're still better off hacking it since that actually gives you XP as opposed to shit all when you just enter it. Overall, the XP system needs a complete rework this time around, it was pretty messy and inconsistent.

Other than that though, HR was a badass game. They're also saying all the right things so far, I hope they can deliver.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
  • Tesla is like taser, darts come out of Jensens knuckles and he can lock on and take out up to four guys at once.
  • Mark and track is like marking in far cry.
  • Smart vision is like batman vision, see enemies through walls, takes lots of energy.
  • The energy system is now like dishonered where there is a certain amount of recharge if you wait after using an augment, there are still biocells.
  • Hacker will allow the implant to hack turrets and computers at a distance (as in the Watch Dogs ).
I see Montreal Game™ continues to merge into one blob.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I don't think that is correct if you are talking about the original Deus Ex. The game gave lots of extra experience for exploring particular paths. The sad power gaming option was to retrace your steps and doing all the branching paths consecutively to get maximum exp ... (I did this ...)

Yea it granted xp for exploring, which I'm fine with.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I cannot wait. This is going to be fantastic. Human Revolution was a helluva game.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
These details, man, it sounds like they improved what was lacking. So good.

Can't wait until the trailer for tomorrow (I suppose it's bound for tomorrow).

super hyped for this. not really a fan of making jensen a franchise character though, his story felt finished after the first for me.

if they truly improved the gunplay on this then i'll do a second lethal playthrough for sure.

Pandy

super hyped for this. not really a fan of making jensen a franchise character though, his story felt finished after the first for me.

if they truly improved the gunplay on this then i'll do a second lethal playthrough for sure.
I agree.
Especially as one ending had Jensen killing himself and everyone in the facility. I guess we can be sure 'that' ending isn't canon.

Galileo

Neo Member
I hope the conversation battles are in, and developed further. Those were some of the best parts of DXHR.
Yeah, I really liked them too, most memorable one was
when you confront Taggart during his TV speech

Anyway, I really like what I'm hearing, hopefully they'll fix the character progression so becoming a jack of all trades won't be possible this time

FACE

Banned

I don't think I've used a single password I found because hacking everything gave way more XP.

injurai

Banned
I don't think I've used a single password I found because hacking everything gave way more XP.

In the original Deus Ex, there is some statue late in the game, it a passage an underground lab. It's at that corporation or whatever late in the Hong Kong act. I ended up guessing the password on my first try.

In that moment I was truly transhuman.

sPRZqXc.gif

Top Bottom