• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided PC performance thread

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

(Click for general game info.)

System requirements:
deusexmdsysreqs3kkz4.jpg

deusexmdsysreqs_linux6rkns.jpg

Latest drivers: (as at 21/12/2017)
Nvidia: 388.71
AMD: 17.12.2
Intel: Depends on your processor; download the driver update utility

Benchmarks:
Bit-Tech (English; launch build[?]; DX11)
Computer Base (German; launch build; DX11)
Computer Base (German; 09/09/2016 DX12 preview build; DX12)
GameGPU (Russian; pre-release; DX11 and DX12)
Guru3D (English; launch build; DX11)
HardOCP (English; launch build; DX11)
HardOCP (English; 17/11/2016 build; DX11 and DX12)
Legit Reviews (English; launch build; DX11)
PC Games Hardware (German; launch build and pre-release; DX11)
PC Lab (Polish; 09/09/2016 DX12 preview build[?]; DX11 and DX12)
PC Perspective (English; 24/10/2016 build; DX12)
TechPowerUp (English; launch build; DX11)
Tech Report (English; 09/09/2016 DX12 preview build; DX12)

Tips and tricks:
PC performance guide (Nixxes): See this Squeenix forum thread. (Credit to MasterMenace.)
PC performance guide (PC Gamer): See this article. (Credit to 4jjiyoon.)
Cap the framerate/potentially improve frametimes: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server, input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit enter (the program comes bundled with MSI Afterburner and earlier versions of EVGA PrecisionX). Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU have the option of Nvidia Inspector, which can also be used to impose a framerate cap, either in a similar manner to RTSS or by way of forcing a different vsync interval (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if you your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frametimes. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower framerate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Stop the game from crashing after 15 minutes on touch-capable systems running Windows 10: Open the task manager, switch to the Services tab and disable TabletInputService.
Slightly improve performance: If you're using borderless window mode, use exclusive fullscreen mode instead. Also, if you're using the DX12 renderer, switch back to the DX11 one.
Skip the launcher: Append -nolauncher to the game's target line (right-click -> Properties -> Set launch options, or just right-click and Properties if you're running the game from a shortcut outside of Steam). (Credit to Parsnip.)
Skip the intro videos: Follow the instructions here. (Credit to ROFLCopter64bit @ Reddit via Tovarisc.)
Improve SLI performance: Using Nvidia Inspector, change the SLI compatibility bit in the game's driver profile to 0x2C0120F5. (Credit to ShaunBRS.) Alternatively, try using 0x281942F5 instead. (Credit to ambled_hoh.)
Note: Click the little tool icon to access the driver profile section.
Enable texture caching, texture dumping, and other assorted features: Download the Special K tool. (Credit to Kaldaien via Drogean.)
Correct the aspect ratio in exclusive fullscreen when using a non-16:9 resolution: Follow the instructions here. (Credit to Nyzme32.)
Work around blurry NPC faces: This is a bug as a result of using tessellation in conjunction with TAA. Disable whichever you can live without. (Credit to electroflame.)

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to mention my username as this way the post will appear among the results when I search for my username after an absence. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

Graphics settings:
Preset: Low; Medium; High; Very High; Ultra
Texture quality: Low; Medium; High; Very High; Ultra
Texture filtering: Off (1x); 2x; 4x; 8x; 16x
Shadow quality: Medium; High; Very High
Contact-hardening shadows: Off; On; Ultra
Temporal anti-aliasing: Off/On
Motion blur: Off/On
Depth of field: Off; On; Very High; Ultra
Bloom: Off/On
Volumetric lighting: Off; On; Ultra
Sub-surface scattering: Off/On
Cloth physics: Off/On

Ambient occlusion: Off; On; Very High
Tessellation: Off/On
Parallax occlusion mapping: Off; On; High
Screenspace reflections: Off; On; Ultra
Sharpen: Off/On
Chromatic aberration: Off/On
Level of detail: Low; Medium; High; Very High

drotahorror

Was waiting for this to pop up. Apparently there's a couple settings that tank framerate like crazy. You can have all ultra but there's 2 settings I believe that you can turn down a notch or two to dramatically increase performance.

Anyone know what they were? I think one was soft shadows? I'm away from PC at the moment otherwise I'd look.

Contact hardening shadows IIRC.

The other one I was thinking of was Volumetric lighting on Ultra tanks fps.

And MSAA is expensive as well. (unsurprisingly)

napata

Does DX12 add any visual effects in this game? If not, it seems like a pretty shitty DX12 implementation.

Big performance decrease for both GPU vendors.

Corpekata

Banned
Was waiting for this to pop up. Apparently there's a couple settings that tank framerate like crazy. You can have all ultra but there's 2 settings I believe that you can turn down a notch or two to dramatically increase performance.

Anyone know what they were? I think one was soft shadows? I'm away from PC at the moment otherwise I'd look.

Contact hardening shadows IIRC.

drotahorror

Does DX12 add any visual effects in this game? If not, it seems like a pretty shitty DX12 implementation.

I've heard DX12 won't be supported until some time in September? At the moment dx11 and dx12 performance is identical (because 12 isn't implemented). I could be wrong!

Runs great on my system, getting 55-60 FPS on my GTX 770 with medium settings and most of the effects turned off with the exception of cloth physics and subface shattering

napata

DX12 isn't even functional. There's a patch enabling it that comes out early in September, IIRC.

I've heard DX12 won't be supported until some time in September? At the moment dx11 and dx12 performance is identical (because 12 isn't implemented). I could be wrong!

Well, Gamegpu has results for both DX11 & DX12 and they are different. Pretty sure another German site also had results for DX12 (edit: no they didn't).

Might not be working properly yet then.

PCGamesHardware.de updated their benchmark table with a lot more GPUs, might want to add it to the OP.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Deus-.../Specials/Benchmarks-Test-DirectX-12-1204575/

For the first graphics card benchmarks we'll set a game scene in Prague. We rely on the game's "Ultra" preset and the performance gentle temporal antialiasing - it is automatically activated when the graphics preset "Ultra". Deus Ex: Mankind Divided incidentally also offers a built-in benchmark. Since these, however, have rarely anything to do with real workloads, we waive such, albeit comfortable traceable measurements.

770 still @ 26.5fps average on Ultra :)

JaseC

jrcbandit

MSAA and contact hardening shadows are big performance killers, especially MSAA. The developers even stated you should only use MSAA in SLI or crossfire rigs.

My 1070 is ready but I'm also ready to turn the things that destroy my FPS off. Cloth physics and volumentric lighting sound like FPS killers

~Kinggi~

Banned
While i download for an hour i want details as to the way to get 60 fps on my 980ti at 1080p. Highest settings possible.

JaseC

While i download for an hour i want details as to the way to get 60 fps on my 980ti at 1080p. Highest settings possible.

Ultra with contact-hardening shadows disabled should be fine for the most part, judging from where the Titan X 2015 sits in PCGH's benchmarks.

ymgve

I wish all these game performance tests would test with a variety of CPUs. Sure, it's nice that they test every GPU from the last five years but you only get half the picture if you pair them up with a powerful i7.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Hoping I can hit 4K 30 sans AA with some features lowered or disabled. CH Shadows seems like the best bet no?

JaseC

I wish all these game performance tests would test with a variety of CPUs. Sure, it's nice that they test every GPU from the last five years but you only get half the picture if you pair them up with a powerful i7.

GameGPU benchmarks its 980 Ti SLI setup using a variety of Intel and AMD CPUs, which is enough to make an inference.

Omikaru

Built my new PC last week:

i7 6700K, GTX 1070, 16gb RAM and a 1TB SSD. Time to put this thing to the test!

Just gotta wait for it to decrypt.

d00d3n

Ultra with contact-hardening shadows disabled should be fine for the most part, judging from where the Titan X 2015 sits in PCGH's benchmarks.

So contact-hardening shadows destroy performance? What about ambient occlusion? MSAA?

Dec

You look at both CPU benchmarks and GPU benchmarks. Combining those is just a bad idea and/or increase the amount of work for benchmarking by a ton because of bottlenecking.

Having them separate is just far more accurate and less work.

DjDafiDak

Neo Member
my specs are:

i7 4790k no oc
gtx 1080 g1 gaming set to oc mode
16 gb of ram
windows 10
playing at 1080p
game will be done unlocking in 10 min will report performance.

edit 1:
iam just playing the game and everytime it drops below 60 iam tweaking the settings, first scene its already at around 50 fps with everything max and msaa at 2x, disabled msaa and its back to 60(using vsync).
the first room with enemies it again drops to around 57, disabled contact hardening shadows, and its back to 60.

Top Bottom