• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided review embargo lifts on 8/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like I'll be getting it tomorrow fingers crossed. Dispatch note for Royal Mail 1st class delivery popped up in my emails a few hours back. Can't wait to blast it the weekend!

nOoblet16

Looks like I'll be getting it tomorrow fingers crossed. Dispatch note for Royal Mail 1st class delivery popped up in my emails a few hours back. Can't wait to blast it the weekend!

It's raining heavy today..what if the shipments are delayed until tomorrow evening...in which case you'll have to wait until monday.

what if :p

Facism

Expect performance benches today as embargo has been lifted. Even TB said that he tries to get PC Port Report done for MD despite having chemo week.

excellent. I have a ps4 but Deus Ex has always been a PC franchise for me, so that's where i want to play it.

Belakor

Banned
"real gamers", "real games"

That attitude is still around?

Still around?NEOGAF's 2015 GOTY is the epitome of that attitude.That's why Bloodborne was so beloved and Dark Souls franchise in general.A game that you play,it doesn't play you.I mean the Order 1886 had a lot more coverage than Deus Ex,fits perfectly to what I was saying before about media coverage ;)

Btw,what's the exact time the embargo should be lifted?

SomTervo

Still around?NEOGAF's 2015 GOTY is the epitome of that attitude.That's why Bloodborne was so beloved and Dark Souls franchise in general.A game that you play,it doesn't play you.I mean the Order 1886 had a lot more coverage than Deus Ex,fits perfectly to what I was saying before about media coverage ;)

Btw,what's the exact time the embargo should be lifted?

Somebody just said. 1.5hrs.

Arun1910

sorry,was quoting a post some pages ago and hadn't read the recent ones
I predict a solid 90 at metacritic

75-82 if the story is lackluster like that one review says. I cant see a game being 90 with a sucky story.

Edit - OutsideXbox just mentioned Deus Ex a little on their show of the week, they said "A Story full of intrigue" for anyone that wants to know that sentence of info :D

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah this is going to score well.

You mean not really having stratified teams and kind of sharing individuals within the whole company?

Pretty much. It's par for course for more or less all modern developers, but yeah. Thief's core directorial team was different from Human Revolution and thus Mankind Divided, but I'm sure there was plenty of crossover. These huge AAA games require a massive amount of input.

drotahorror

So I have HR on my Steam, I remember playing like 1 hour of it and can't remember why I dropped it, is it worth trying again?

I started to, and it is cool and the gameplay is fun but yo...the graphics...have not held up well.

I watched the 2 part recap series on youtube from the deus ex youtube account.

Tovarisc

75-82 if the story is lackluster like that one review says. I cant see a game being 90 with a sucky story.

Edit - OutsideXbox just mentioned Deus Ex a little on their show of the week, they said "A Story full of intrigue" for anyone that wants to know that sentence of info :D

Somehow Skyrim managed to get 94 in Meta even when its story is hot garbage that is set on fire.

nOoblet16

Probably the most relevant first
tiAnz2j.png

3BfuDcO.png

GRH4Xjk.png

cbCRbJA.png

Sno3JuF.png

2j1vEmE.png

lxWax8f.png

Dark Souls 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition at 89.

Moff

story is one of the least important aspects in a game, as others have pointed out by now. I dareasy most classics have either a bad story or simply did not care about story at all, look at all the nintendo games for instance. and games wich actually focus on story, are mostly boring.

that said, however, I would still be disappointed if MD had a bad or unsatisfying story, simply because the original deus ex had a pretty cool one and I see that as a part of the franchise. but a game can easily get a 90+ rating without a story, no problem.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
story is one of the least important aspects in a game, as others have pointed out by now. I dareasy most classics have either a bad story or simply did not care about story at all, look at all the nintendo games for instance. and games wich actually focus on story, are mostly boring.

that said, however, I would still be disappointed if MD had a bad or unsatisfying story, simply because the original deus ex had a pretty cool one and I see that as a part of the franchise. but a game can easily get a 90+ rating without a story, no problem.

I would say you are entirely incorrect.

Games story is massively important to getting me immersed in a game. The actual plot doesn't have to be perfect, but at the very least the lore and world building should be spot on.

I can suffer though some mediocre or good not great gameplay for an awesome story.

nOoblet16

I think Deus Ex is a game where story is everywhere, and whenever critics say "bad story" they just mean the immediate plot. Especially when it is for a game like this it just makes me feel that it might be that they didn't bother to focus on things outside of the mainquest conversations/cutscenes. If you do that they ofcourse you will miss out on things.

I would say you are entirely incorrect.

Games story is massively important to getting me immersed in a game. The actual plot doesn't have to be perfect, but at the very least the lore and world building should be spot on.

I can suffer though some mediocre or good not great gameplay for an awesome story.

Well considering we know for a fact that Mankind Divided will have incredible world building, it should suffice.

ChazGW7

Is CDKeys the best price to pick this up if you're in the UK? I think they have it listed for £28 for Steam.

Never played the first one but im highly intrigued by this.

story is one of the least important aspects in a game, as others have pointed out by now.

What? This depends entirely on the type of player. Some will find story most important, others will find gameplay most important. Completely subjective.

Just got linked this post. Sorry for quoting several pages back. But just want to be clear here: you are not employed by OpenCritic, nor do you have any contractual relationship with us.

Knowingly breaking an embargo is a serious mistake, one that calls into question your motives for reviewing games to begin with. Are you posting your reviews to help others? Or are you just doing it to gain a quick follower or two? Regardless, it's not sustainable and certainly not something that OpenCritic will support. The entire reason we made OpenCritic is to better the industry for all parties, and we believe embargoes do that. One reason we believe that is for what's you've been called out on in this thread: so that no one's pressured to publish a review after only a few hours.

We've disabled your contributor account for the time being; I'll discuss next steps with the team in the morning.

#Ethered

Sanctuary

I started to, and it is cool and the gameplay is fun but yo...the graphics...have not held up well.

I'm currently playing it, and my first thought was "Hmm, it doesn't look as good as I remember". Although it's not like it's so bad as to look awful or anything. I just think the CGI movies are complete crap though when compared to the actual gameplay, and it really stands out as awkward if playing the Director's Cut. The movies still have the golden filter look going on, while it was removed for the actual game.

SomTervo

Review code provided by the developers, I work for opencritic so I asked if there was a chance they have codes and in fact they did.

Also I'm one of the 30 launch partners for the contributor program that just launched today, this program is indented for smaller publications like myself.

Just got linked this post. Sorry for quoting several pages back. But just want to be clear here: you are not employed by OpenCritic, nor do you have any contractual relationship with us.

Knowingly breaking an embargo is a serious mistake, one that calls into question your motives for reviewing games to begin with. Are you posting your reviews to help others? Or are you just doing it to gain a quick follower or two? Regardless, it's not sustainable and certainly not something that OpenCritic will support. The entire reason we made OpenCritic is to better the industry for all parties, and we believe embargoes do that. One reason we believe that is for what's you've been called out on in this thread: so that no one's pressured to publish a review after only a few hours.

We've disabled your contributor account for the time being; I'll discuss next steps with the team in the morning.

O0oo0.gif

Is CDKeys the best price to pick this up if you're in the UK? I think they have it listed for £28 for Steam.

Never played the first one but im highly intrigued by this.

You should play the first one first.

And yeah, IMO CDKeys is best. I got this for about £22 a few months back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom