• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided review embargo lifts on 8/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

nOoblet16

Eh? Bloodborne has awesome story.

Tbh I'll even stand up for MGSV.

It doesn't..if we are talking about the plot.
It does if we are talking about world building and lore, but we aren't really talking about that here since Deus Ex has that one locked down.

It's to do with the fact that "story" in most reviews just means the main plot thread that takes you through the game...I believe that to be far less important than world building and lore.

Window

The best stories in games are all about subtext. The plot events themselves just serve to push you along through the entire experience.

That said, MGSV (much like most MGS games I guess) has some very interesting ideas but the execution seems botched and seems incongruous with the tone of the rest of the game.

Moff

I can suffer though some mediocre or good not great gameplay for an awesome story.

literally a not comprehensible stament for me
no, games are meant to be played, they are games after all, that's why we play them, not watch them, or read them. if I want a good story I will turn to other media who have mastered that. the only time I care about a story if I can influence it, the more the better, because at this point the story becomes part of the gameplay.

but yes, obviously that's subjective.

Tovarisc

The best stories in games are all about subtext. The plot events themselves just serve to push you along through the entire experience.

That said, MGSV (much like most MGS games I guess) has some very interesting ideas but the execution seems botched and seems incongruous with the tone of the rest of the game.

Witcher 3 - Red Baron storyline, that is some epic shit.

MGSV was first MGS I player personally, seen rest as deep lets plays by certain Twitch channel that does deep lore etc. plays. Anyways, MGSV was hyped to me by friend who is MGS fan and holy shit that game is stinker. Gameplay is very good sneaky sneaky stuff that I like, but story itself? Oh wow what clusterfuck with no proper ending.

Sanctuary

literally a not comprehensible stament for me
no, games are meant to be played, they are games after all, that's why we play them, not watch them, or read them. if I want a good story I will turn to other media who have mastered that. the only time I care about a story if I can influence it, the more the better, because at this point the story becomes part of the gameplay.

but yes, obviously that's subjective.

So I take it then that TW3 did nothing for you, since pretty much the only good thing it has going for it is the narrative and characters?

dr_rus

First benchmark, and with DX12: Deus Ex Mankind Divided GPU test

dem_1920_11_2.png
dem_1920_12.png

dem_2560_11.png
dem_2560_12.png

dem_3840_11.png
dem_3840_12.png

So as I've expected another Gaming Evolved title running like crap on NV h/w.

You can also see why they've decided to postpone DX12 to after release as it's bad even on AMD's own cards.

Witcher 3 - Red Baron storyline, that is some epic shit.

MGSV was first MGS I player personally, seen rest as deep lets plays by certain Twitch channel that does deep lore etc. plays. Anyways, MGSV was hyped to me by friend who is MGS fan and holy shit that game is stinker. Gameplay is very good sneaky sneaky stuff that I like, but story itself? Oh wow what clusterfuck with no proper ending.

MGSV didnt really have a story.
Its place in the timeline was so insignificant, it added nothing to the overall story.

mxgt

Banned
Ew, that performance does not look too hot.

If I can't max it @ 3440x1440 on my Titan XP I'll be seriously disappointed.

Fret

Mankind Divided looks to me like a pretty narrative focused game. They obviously spent a ridiculous amount of time on the world and environment details - if it doesn't have a good story then it would be a waste of all that effort.

Sanctuary

First benchmark, and with DX12: Deus Ex Mankind Divided GPU test

dem_1920_11_2.png
dem_1920_12.png

dem_2560_11.png
dem_2560_12.png

dem_3840_11.png
dem_3840_12.png

You can also see why they've decided to postpone DX12 to after release as it's bad even on AMD's own cards.

I literally cannot comprehend these low numbers on a 1080. The game doesn't look like it's the modern equivalent of Crysis or anything. The numbers it's getting at 1080p are much worse than I expected it to do at even 1440p.

Evo X

Something seems VERY wrong with those benchmarks.

I refuse to believe 1080 SLI can't get 60fps at 4K.

Will wait for confirmation from other sources.

Edit: 1080 SLI getting the same frame rate as 980 SLI at 1080p shows a significant CPU bottleneck, but that doesn't make sense with an overclocked 5960x.

Blitzhex

First benchmark, and with DX12:

Ugh, those 1440p results are abysmal. I'd really like to see what specific settings the game has. IS it possible to see another nvidia driver focusing on mankind divided?

Renekton

I literally cannot comprehend these low numbers on a 1080. The game doesn't look like it's the modern equivalent of Crysis or anything. The numbers it's getting at 1080p are much worse than I expected it to do at even 1440p.
Probably max quality is really insane, plus it also uses Gameworks.

CHC

Hoooooly shit those benchmarks are terrible considering how the game looks. I mean, it looks good but ~30 FPS 1440p on a 1070. Sad!

But then again there's probably a lot of stupid stuff like physics / hair / etc that can be turned off for practically no visual loss. Proprietary AMD stuff.

Moff

So I take it then that TW3 did nothing for you, since pretty much the only good thing it has going for it is the narrative and characters?

I doubt Witcher 3 would have gotten that many GOTY awards if story was the only good thing about and I personally disagree with that staement as well.
But as I said, I do care about story as soon as you can influence it, which makes it part of the gameplay, and that is the case in witcher 3 and the witcher series in general like few other franchises.

Window

Mankind Divided looks to me like a pretty narrative focused game. They obviously spent a ridiculous amount of time on the world and environment details - if it doesn't have a good story then it would be a waste of all that effort.

I suspect that when reviewers mention the story, they mean the main plot. Not the environmental story telling, sidequests, logs etc. I expect the main story in this game to be serviceable at best but have very high expectations from other dimensions of the story.

Sanctuary

Probably max quality is really insane, plus it also uses Gameworks.

So did TW3, and it ran a lot better than this.

The game apparently uses msaa, could be the reason for those numbers.

If that's the case, then I guess it's a bit more sensible.

I doubt Witcher 3 would have gotten that many GOTY awards if story was the only good thing about and I personally disagree with that staement as well.
But as I said, I do care about story as soon as you can influence it, which makes it part of the gameplay, and that is the case in witcher 3 and the witcher series in general like few other franchises.

Then I must have quite a bit higher standards for gameplay, because the gameplay overall was pretty bad, and the only reason I bothered to continue was only for the story. By the halfway mark, I just wanted it to end already. Actually, Gwent was more fun than the main game. Critics weigh graphics a lot more than they should too, and their priority seemed to be: graphics > story > size > performance > gameplay.

nOoblet16

Didn't that guy say he tried ultra settings on a a 770 and got like 40FPS with dips ?
That doesn't sound right after these benchmarks.

The game apparently uses msaa, could be the reason for those numbers.

Indeed. There could also be one or two settings that aren't optomized or whatever. People were cranking 50+ fps on medium on a 770, so I feel like it's not just a horrific bottleneck in the game itself as much as it's certain settings.

Eh what AA options are in this game? If maxed settings includes 8xMSAA then of course the framerate is going to be low. Taking that picture with a massive grain of salt personally.

Fret

Yeah "maxed out" sounds to me like MSAA x8. We shouldn't base our impressions from those benchmarks, seeing as Totalbuiscut seemed pretty happy on twitter about the game before

nOoblet16

Oh ok ok.
Calm down everyone...false alarm !

This is obviously with max MSAA...that is always a killer.
These benchamarks should mention MSAA (or any AA) quality used separately rather than putting them together under "Very High". Because lots of people would want to see Very high setting performance with variable MSAA settings.

Indeed. There could also be one or two settings that aren't optomized or whatever. People were cranking 50+ fps on medium on a 770, so I feel like it's not just a horrific bottleneck in the game itself as much as it's certain settings.

MSAA is by definition demanding, nothing to do with optimisation

didamangi

They're using 8xMSAA and they commented that it drops performance hard in their article (at least according to google translate)

Activating the smoothing does not completely eliminate all the irregularities of surfaces, and slightly smoothed. It is worth noting that this is the level of anti-aliasing MSAA 8X, where the 1080 GTX performance drops to 30 frames per FullHD ...

Mifec

Yeah "maxed out" sounds to me like MSAA x8. We shouldn't base our impressions from that, seeing as Totalbuiscut seemed pretty happy on twitter about the game before

He didn't have the code at the time. He just mentioned it being GOTY because he likes Deus Ex.

ekim

Per google translate:
Activating the smoothing does not completely eliminate all the irregularities of surfaces, and slightly smoothed. It is worth noting that this is the level of anti-aliasing MSAA 8X, where the 1080 GTX performance drops to 30 frames per FullHD ...

This is what the page translation says:
Es ist möglich, diese Probleme mit einem Patch von dem ersten Tag festgelegt werden. Die Tests wurden ohne Anti-Aliasing durchgeführt, wie Sie die Leistung und Speicherverbrauch und so kritisch kennen.
"the tests were conducted without Anti-Aliasing as you know how important performance and memory usage are."
Per google translate:

That may just be for the comparison screenshots, they later say as per above that tests were without Anti-Aliasing. ANd when they Say "Anti.Aliasing" I think they mean MSAA and not the TAA.

It's probably not 8x MSAA, in the test it says that it drops to 30 with that on a 1080.

Edit: beaten again.

Man, that does not look good. Hopefully there are options that are performance hungry and that can easily be turned off without losing too much of the graphics fidelity.

Nzyme32

Just got linked this post. Sorry for quoting several pages back. But just want to be clear here: you are not employed by OpenCritic, nor do you have any contractual relationship with us.

Knowingly breaking an embargo is a serious mistake, one that calls into question your motives for reviewing games to begin with. Are you posting your reviews to help others? Or are you just doing it to gain a quick follower or two? Regardless, it's not sustainable and certainly not something that OpenCritic will support. The entire reason we made OpenCritic is to better the industry for all parties, and we believe embargoes do that. One reason we believe that is for what's you've been called out on in this thread: so that no one's pressured to publish a review after only a few hours.

We've disabled your contributor account for the time being; I'll discuss next steps with the team in the morning.

And rightfully so, when someone is very clearly not interested in either abiding to an embargo or even playing the god damn game properly with the time they were specifically given to complete the game and make the most complete impression possible. What an arse

Moff

So did TW3, and it ran a lot better than this.

If that's the case, then I guess it's a bit more sensible.

Then I must have quite a bit higher standards for gameplay, because the gameplay overall was pretty bad, and the only reason I bothered to continue was only for the story. By the halfway mark, I just wanted it to end already. Actually, Gwent was more fun than the main game. Critics weigh graphics a lot more than they should too, and their priority seemed to be: graphics > story > size > performance > gameplay.

Then I doubt you had much fun with the game because the story really goes south in the last third of the game.

SomTervo

It doesn't..if we are talking about the plot.
It does if we are talking about world building and lore, but we aren't really talking about that here since Deus Ex has that one locked down.

It's to do with the fact that "story" in most reviews just means the main plot thread that takes you through the game...I believe that to be far less important than world building and lore.

Agreed, bear in mind the hierarchy is like (I just realised the formatting to follow might entirely break):

<story>The entire fictional universe, the whole thing, like as a ubiquitous whole.
---------------<symbolism and theme>
------------------------------<narrative>How the story is told, the 'lens' (style, techniques, perspectives - the execution)</narrative>
------------------------------<plot>Events that pull the user through the narrative - basically optional</plot>
------------------------------<backstory/lore/context>
---------------------------------------------<characters></characters>
---------------------------------------------<places></places>
---------------------------------------------<historical events>Past plot</historical events>
------------------------------</backstory/lore/context>
---------------</symbolism and theme>
</story>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom