• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dev states that their game will have lower fps on PS5 than on XSX. Blames Sony (...then Unity, then deletes original Tweet)

Jigsaah

Gold Member
@onQ123 got modded for that in the past for using the exact same clickbait article title, when knowing it was.

Basically the mod said something about trying to hide behind the article title when knowing damned well what the intention was, or to that effect.
Anybody who tries to assume my intent needs to read my post history. New information (to me) surfaced since making the thread and therefore warrants updates, which I did adjust.

Add to the fact that in subsequent posts I acknowledged Psykodad Psykodad input prior to seeing the actual tweet he was referring to. I'm not hiding behind a damn thing. I just want the facts and thought it warranted discussion.

I think it still does, because this is not the only game using Unity and it would be interesting to explore if this inadequacy with Unity spans to other games using the same engine with intended release on PS5.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Forgive me, but if we all know that the Ps5 does indeed run games at 120 FPS, and that the particular game we’re talking about here isn’t a resource intensive game... doesnt it just mean that this guy is a shitty developer?

”My game won’t run at 120 FPS but others will” isn’t exactly something I’d put on my CV.

The game in question. Now this thread is on ignore.

Oh, holy shit 😂😂😂 Yeah. Ignore is the best bet here! 😂😂

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Anybody who tries to assume my intent needs to read my post history. New information (to me) surfaced since making the thread and therefore warrants updates, which I did adjust.

Add to the fact that in subsequent posts I acknowledged Psykodad Psykodad input prior to seeing the actual tweet he was referring to. I'm not hiding behind a damn thing. I just want the facts and thought it warranted discussion.

I think it still does, because this is not the only game using Unity and it would be interesting to explore if this inadequacy with Unity spans to other games using the same engine with intended release on PS5.

I edited my post before your reply.

"Not accusing you, but we know how the cookie crumbles on here as of late."

Many a threads never get OPs updated after the intended fighting ensues. It's why I tend to stray away from them more often than not, now.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Forgive me, but if we all know that the Ps5 does indeed run games at 120 FPS, and that the particular game we’re talking about here isn’t a resource intensive game... doesnt it just mean that this guy is a shitty developer?

”My game won’t run at 120 FPS but others will” isn’t exactly something I’d put on my CV.
It would seem there is more than meets the eye with this dev for sure.

Well Sony made such a big deal about PS5 being variable. So some games run well and some don't. It varies.

Last edited:

Stuart360

It will probably end up 120fps on PS5 in the end. If OneX can hit 4k/60, PS5 can hit 4k120. PS5 gpu is like twice as powerful as the OneX, when taking into account GCN, and the cpu is way more than twice as powerful.
I wish you guys wouldnt be so hard on Indie games though. For a start the graphics in this look pretty damn good for a 2D Indie game. I used to be the same, until i started playing a lot of Indies on Steam.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That's what I keep telling people. Go look up the game.

Why would people do that, war requires no context.

see-hear-speak-no-evil-ani.gif

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It will probably end up 120fps on PS5 in the end. If OneX can hit 4k/60, PS5 can hit 4k120. PS5 gpu is like twice as powerful as the OneX, when taking into account GCN, and the cpu is way more than twice as powerful.
I wish you guys wouldnt be so hard on Indie games though. For a start the graphics in this look pretty damn good for a 2D Indie game. I used to be the same, until i started playing a lot of Indies on Steam.

I play far more Indie games than I do AAA, they are the new AA filler we used to have from big companies. The criticisms at least from me, have nothing to do with "being hard on Indie games", but rather disingenuous tweets and BS from these 1 man rodeos.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize figures of speech was somehow threatening to you, I got it. Just know I don't look to incite console wars. I'm self aware enough to understand how what I post may affect others. In times like this it's usually best to minimize comments specifically to avoid accusations like what you posted here.

Yet somehow you still arrive at this point. Despite my best efforts.

Your thread is clickbait. And you know it, don't pretend otherwise...

Stuart360

I play far more Indie games than I do AAA, they are the new AA filler we used to have from big companies. The criticisms at least from me, have nothing to do with "being hard on Indie games", but rather disingenuous tweets and BS from these 1 man rodeos.
Well its just the way people talk about the game itself, you would think it had Pong level graphics or something. I mean one of his other tweets said that XB1 wont even be 1080p. And like i said above, there are probably some 360/PS3 games that both consoles would struggle a bit to run at 4k/120.

CamHostage

Having said this, I don't think that this dolphin game is demanding enough to require the settings of the PS5's version to be lowered in order for it to hit 120fps; I think that this developer is spouting bollocks.

To be a little fair to him (which is charitable, given that he's equating a lack of fanboy outrage that a small indie game isn't remaining exclusive with some kind of outpouring of response over a technical statement that the PS5 is an inferior console than Series X... who could have guessed which one of those statements would catch fire?), his "company" Dynamic Voltage HAS shipped two other games, and has a fourth one in the works...

There seems like a lot of asset-kit stuff in there (it's kind of hard to give credit that a game looks "good" these days when so much is available on the shelves these days, but it's also unkind to assume everything is kitbashed from the Unity/Unreal Store if you haven't ever made a game before... the Pirates game seems to be puppets who roam around and then play Tetris?), but all of these are bigger in scope than just the 2D swim-around game that so many on this thread are jumping to LOL at.

Last edited:

geordiemp

The performance of the PS5's GPU is at least 84.6% of the performance of the XSX's GPU; I say "at least" because the cache scrubbers and the Geometry Engine of the PS5's GPU offload certain tasks from the components of the GPU that are used to quantify performance in terms of teraflops.

(10.28 teraflops / 12.15 teraflops) x 100 = 84.6%

So, if the XSX will be able to run this Dolphin game at 120fps, then the PS5 will be able to run it at at least 101 frames per second if the graphics settinga are identical on both machines. Hence, by merely decreasing the graphics settings a bit on the PS5's version, it should be able to hit 120fps. Having said this, I don't think that this dolphin game is demanding enough to require the settings of the PS5's version to be lowered in order for it to hit 120fps; I think that this developer is spouting bollocks.

Graphics engine LOL, its a Ps1 game made by 1 guy who is on the xbox discord..

FFS.

Ribi

Console plAyers are cute thinking they know about 120fps when they don't know about refresh rate yet. They just found out about SSDs maybe next gen hz

Lort

Banned
Indie developers dont have tens of millions to spend on customizations .. their games will always run slower.

The only interesting aspect of this is why? Maybe because of the non hyper-threaded CPU boost mode? Maybe because of the higher mem bandwidth..

its unlikely to be because of VRS, mesh shaders or ray tracing.

dottme

I’m just laughing to see Dynamic Voltage being enthusiastic about the XSX when you think there’s probably no dynamic voltage in the XSX.
But outside of this, I can believe that the XSX can have better framerate than the PS5.

MastaKiiLA

Meh. There are going to be games that will look better on the XSX, if they take full advantage of both consoles. XSX simply has more raw computational power. This game isn't one of them. However, that doesn't change that underlying fact. If that if your ultimate reason for buying games, get the XSX. I don't think there's any reason disparaging a game developer for that. They didn't build the machines. Personally, I don't care. I'll get a PS5 because I want the 1st party games on it, and since mobile gaming has been my primary form of gaming for the last 5 years, I really don't care. Games will look more than good enough for me.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I don't know man, the reaction of the Sony fanboys so far has been amazing.

I mean, imagine getting mad at this shit and demanding all indignant for the OP to update the thread and call him names. And I'm not even touching the death threats.

Fucking hilarious.

The guy is a “developer” making up bs and spreading it just to prop Xbox and diss PS5. Not the first one either. Sorry but as far as the fanboy Olympics go the green team has been putting records on the board and it’s just pre-season.

I know OP's play in this but that dev continues to puzzle me with his fanboyism. You make a game to make money. Putting out BS he knows is BS to rile up a fanbase he doesn't like and provide ammo for the other side has to be some of the dumbest shit I've ever seen from someone in the business. Xbox fans better pay in kind for his services by buying that crap otherwise he'll be up there with the biggest suckers of all time on the console war pantheon.

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
Could it be that, maybe, the PS5 isnt as easy to develop for than Sony previously alluded to?

I have a feeling those "Sony cry babies" the dev mentioned arent gonna enjoy a lot of Digital Foundry videos later this year. :messenger_blowing_kiss:

Honestly, has power ever really mattered? Xbox One X is more power than PS4 Pro. Xbox was stronger than PS2 and Dreamcast. Switch is weaker than PS4 and XBox One. Neo Geo was more powerful than Genesis and SNES. 3DO blew SNES and Genesis out the water. Bottom line is, a slight power discrepancy probably won’t really matter in the end if the good games are there.

Soulja

The game in question. Now this thread is on ignore.

Finally.. We get to see what these machines can do with a graphically demanding game! And we can see the ps5 is really struggling here, half the fps of the series x! Xbox has won the next gen!

Seriously though, the developer needs to get of Microsofts dick and up the frame rate on the ps5 version. I honestly don't believe this game is too demanding for the ps5 to run it at 120hz.

ANIMAL1975

Don't shoot the messenger.

Edit: The Unity Engine seems to be the culprit

This guy again trying to shit on ps5 and warring on Twitter, what kind of serious professional acts like this?... and calling others fanboys what a fucking joke.
Didn't think about this till just now but toxic Sony gamers will likely be a reason the XsX is held back by developers. They will make the specs exactly the same for both, ignoring the power difference because they have been trained by Sony fans and will not want the backlash. That would be a terrible situation but the attacks like this on a small developer will make big developers think twice.
That's the same talk from the beginning of this gen (roles inverted) and what happened?
Then Xbox X came out more powerful than the Pro, and Sony was in the lead with a base of almost 100 million ps systems sold, now that's something to put devs thinking about _ you don't want stepping on the toes of that big (and apparently toxic) user base... Now tell us how many games got paraty on the ps pro?... I think we Sony gamers are so toxic that started to poison your mind...
Just wanted to say that this reta... Pardon me, Dev, was the one that said he was not developing for the PS5 because the Dev kit was too expensive.

That's all.
And was also financially struggling to get the game done until Ms stepped in... Where the fuck did he get the money to buy a PS5 devkit?

Redlancet

Banned
I don't know man, the reaction of the Sony fanboys so far has been amazing.

I mean, imagine getting mad at this shit and demanding all indignant for the OP to update the thread and call him names. And I'm not even touching the death threats.

Fucking hilarious.
imagine taking seriously this guy words as a fact to brag about your system,thats whats happening now on twitter and every xbox forum,people here are just laughing at the stupidity

Top Bottom