• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dev states that their game will have lower fps on PS5 than on XSX. Blames Sony (...then Unity, then deletes original Tweet)

Jigsaah

Gold Member
This whole 120fps thing.. The difference between 30 and 60fps is night and day. Nobody can argue this. Although I find a stable 30fps fine for most games.

I've never experienced 120fps but I can't imagine it makes a fuck of difference? Are you even able to tell? outside of competitive shooters where it could perhaps give you a leg up?
I play PC at 144 in some games. Apex Legends I play at 100 fps, and its a noticable difference from that than playing on X1X at 60 fps. So I would say 120 fps would be an even bigger difference, yes.

Stuart360

Guys its an Indie game that will probably be lucky to sell 1000 copies, i very much doubt there is some Microsoft conspiracy behind this.
As for the Dirt 5 talk, what resolution will that be?, 1080p?. I bet there are some 360/PS3 games that both next gen consoles would struggle to run at 4k/120

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Found it (thanks to @On Demand, who posted it in another thread)

So basically, it will eventually be able to hit 120 once all the kinks are worked out. So why not just wait until the kinks are worked out, release it on both consoles at 120 fps and avoid all this backlash?

Why definitively state that it's just not gonna run 120 on PS5? This seems like a problem that the dev could have avoided even if he said they would release a patch after Unity is fixed.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Xb1x will be the best of the current gen graphics, PS5 will run at a similar graphical setting to XSX but at a lower framerate.

Those is likely going to be a running thing, so it's worth mentioning often. If Xb1x runs at a the same or higher native res than the PS5, obviously they're is more going on in the next gen version.
I would not trust this developer as far as i can throw him.

Zoro7

Banned
Didn't think about this till just now but toxic Sony gamers will likely be a reason the XsX is held back by developers. They will make the specs exactly the same for both, ignoring the power difference because they have been trained by Sony fans and will not want the backlash. That would be a terrible situation but the attacks like this on a small developer will make big developers think twice.
That’s bait.

Saber

Gold Member
How is the thread provocative. I just posted a story that I saw. I did anticipate some blowback for just posting it, but I did not add any commentary other than my following comments, all of which question the ability of the dev, not Sony necessarily.

I mean to say that it was made with the purpose of incite wars(or bait). I mean, its not like people just randomly search for a case in and post here. As I said, Its my first time ever seeing this news site. Can't blame me for being a little suspicious.

Drewpee

Banned
Did you look at the game in question?

It looks like the Switch could run it at 60FPS

I am going by the developers comment. I am not gonna pretend to know more about developing his game than him. Maybe he is an idiot and shouldn't be making games, or maybe he just decided one day to piss off his biggest potential gamer base by being a troll. More likely though he just shared his unfiltered thoughts but received so much hate that it completely threw him off and he responded to it.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I mean to say that it was made with the purpose of incite wars(or bait). I mean, its not like people just randomly search for a case in and post here. As I said, Its my first time ever seeing this news site. Can't blame me for being a little suspicious.
No. It. Wasn't.

I didn't randomly search for anything. I came across it while surfing the net. I made the thread because it was news that I hadn't seen posted on a site I frequent often to find my news. I clearly stated, don't shoot the messenger. Is that a Glock in your hand...and why is it pointed in my general direction?

FYI: ScreenRant has a youtube channel, with over 7.3 million subscribers. Don't be suspicious of me because you live under a rock, Bob.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
No. It. Wasn't.

I didn't randomly search for anything. I came across it while surfing the net. I made the thread because it was news that I hadn't seen posted on a site I frequent often to find my news. I clearly stated, don't shoot the messenger. Is that a Glock in your hand...and why is it pointed in my general direction?

Pointing a gun? Not sure I like the tone of your posts, but alright.

Max_Po

Banned
I don't want to negatively comment, that game .... C R I N G E ...

Isn't fps CPU Limited ? how much is the difference between the 2 variance of CPUs ?

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I am going by the developers comment. I am not gonna pretend to know more about developing his game than him. Maybe he is an idiot and shouldn't be making games, or maybe he just decided one day to piss off his biggest potential gamer base by being a troll. More likely though he just shared his unfiltered thoughts but received so much hate that it completely threw him off and he responded to it.
I'm not calling him stupid or anything but looking at this logically we have games like Spider-man Miles Morales that will have a 60FPS mode

This game should definitely be able to hit 120FPS

sircaw

Banned
This is definitely worth some skepticism.

But that doesn't change the fact that 4k/60 on Xb1x is a very different beast to 4k/60 on PS5.

We will have to wait and see, hopefully he can work the kings out or get a better understanding how to use the tools of the ps5

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Pointing a gun? Not sure I like the tone of your posts, but alright.
I'm sorry, I didn't realize figures of speech was somehow threatening to you, I got it. Just know I don't look to incite console wars. I'm self aware enough to understand how what I post may affect others. In times like this it's usually best to minimize comments specifically to avoid accusations like what you posted here.

Yet somehow you still arrive at this point. Despite my best efforts.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I think the next logical question is...are there any other multiplat games using Unity?

EDIT: I looked it up. Some reasonable mentions here though some are PC ONLY at this time (only beta or currently released games right now)
Hollow Knight
Escape from Tarkov
Cuphead

Upcoming Games:
Oddworld Soulstorm -
Ironman VR

Not really a whole lot affecting potential PS5 library, and for games like Oddworld, one would expect the kinks to be worked out in time for it's release.

Last edited:

geordiemp

I think this supposed dev is hoping timdog buys 50 copies, he really is playing the fanboy card for a while now - does he think it will get him sales ?

Strange.

This is the same guy that was spouting anti sony stuff for a while now that Tmdog links to ?

Oh well.

Last edited:

Same ol G

Sooo just an engine issue ?
I'm wondering if this is just a one time thing.
If it starts happening with multiple games then this is gonna be a fun gen :messenger_beaming:

Saber

Gold Member
I'm sorry, I didn't realize figures of speech was somehow threatening to you, I got it. Just know I don't look to incite console wars. I'm self aware enough to understand how what I post may affect others. In times like this it's usually best to minimize comments specifically to avoid accusations like what you posted here.

Yet somehow you still arrive at this point. Despite my best efforts.

As I said, its hard for me to not be a little suspicious. I mean if that was a tweet of a dev how stupid he can be to mocking his own possible customers? And how a site you search for news make it more reliable to news than any other just because you "surf" frequently? Also from the look of it, this game doesn't sound a much of deal at all. But I don't want to make a fuzz out of this, it doesn't look like as harmfull as I though. Sorry if this sounds rude early then.

Interesting to see people blast the dev when only a portion of his tweets were referenced. Looks like he explained it as a tool problem, case closed.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So basically, it will eventually be able to hit 120 once all the kinks are worked out. So why not just wait until the kinks are worked out, release it on both consoles at 120 fps and avoid all this backlash?

Why definitively state that it's just not gonna run 120 on PS5? This seems like a problem that the dev could have avoided even if he said they would release a patch after Unity is fixed.

Gonna update your OP, or let it ride with the original baited narrative?

Alphagear

With all due respect that game could run 240fps and I still wouldn't be interested.

Seen better looking games 3 generations back on the PS2.

The developer should be embarrassed if they can't get THAT to run at 120fps on a 5700xt GPU equivalent.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
The performance of the PS5's GPU is at least 84.6% of the performance of the XSX's GPU; I say "at least" because the cache scrubbers and the Geometry Engine of the PS5's GPU offload certain tasks from the components of the GPU that are used to quantify performance in terms of teraflops.

(10.28 teraflops / 12.15 teraflops) x 100 = 84.6%

So, if the XSX will be able to run this Dolphin game at 120fps, then the PS5 will be able to run it at at least 101 frames per second if the graphics settinga are identical on both machines. Hence, by merely decreasing the graphics settings a bit on the PS5's version, it should be able to hit 120fps. Having said this, I don't think that this dolphin game is demanding enough to require the settings of the PS5's version to be lowered in order for it to hit 120fps; I think that this developer is spouting bollocks.

Jtibh

Banned
I am speechless.

A about this game that runs on ps2

B about the devs tweet

C about the devs micro penis

Or D why this game is what defines ps5

Pick one and go with it

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I did already update it, but let's be clear. It's not baited if I use the exact words of the title of the article and the words directly from the devs twitter feed.

O onQ123 got modded for that in the past for using the exact same clickbait article title, when knowing it was.

Basically the mod said something about trying to hide behind the article title when knowing damned well what the intention was, or to that effect.

Not accusing you, but we know how the cookie crumbles on here as of late.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
With all due respect that game could run 240fps and I still wouldn't be interested.

Seen better looking games 3 generations back on the PS2.

The developer should be embarrassed if they can't get THAT to run at 120fps on a 5700xt GPU equivalent.
I think the point is that initially the dev seemed to suggest some inefficiency with the PS5 devkits. He later on explains that it is in fact the engine he decided to use that is the real problem. The article doesn't go into that. I pulled the tweet directly from the article.

Jtibh

Banned
Honestly how the hell will my tv display 120hz when its 60hz.

Will i see a difference from 120 to 60 on my tv?
Does it down scale to 60 but gives the feels of 120?

But please let me buy a new 120hz tv just for this game knowing most if not all games will run 30 to 60.

Top Bottom