• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dev states that their game will have lower fps on PS5 than on XSX. Blames Sony (...then Unity, then deletes original Tweet)

Jigsaah

Gold Member

Don't shoot the messenger.

Edit: The Unity Engine seems to be the culprit

Dynamic Voltage Games, the studio behind Orphan of the Machine, took to Twitter to criticize those who were attacking the studio for making the 120fps version of the game an Xbox Series X exclusive. Dynamic Voltage Games tweeted out a response to the sudden hate it was getting from PS5 trolls, stating that they didn't design Sony's console - and the fact that the game can't achieve 120fps on the device means fans should have "beef" with Sony. The obvious implication there is that the PS5 technology restricted Dynamic Voltage Games from getting a similar level of fps performance on the console, rather than a deliberate decision from the studio to make its Xbox Series X version the "definitive" one, so to speak.

Last edited by a moderator:

sircaw

Banned
I mean, it’s not like Sony did anything bad. Their console is less powerful, if that hurts your feelings it’s on you, not Sony. Sony never claimed to have the most powerful next gen system anyway right?

Something seems of though. this is one of his tweets

Some OOTM tidbits. 4k/120 on XBSX, 4k/60 on XB1X, 940p/60 on XB1, 4k/60 on PS5, 1080p/60 on PS4Pro/PS4, 720/60 docked on Switch, not sure about Switch handheld mode yet. Those are the target resolutions and frame rates.

just look at those numbers 4k 60 on xb1x but ps5 the same.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm more confused about the "how" part. Like how is PS5 not able to run this at 120 fps?

tenor.gif

I'm more confused about the "how" part. Like how is PS5 not able to run this at 120 fps?

Yeah, I'm not sure what is so demanding there...

Also seems like a game that he would just lock at 60 across all platforms and run at lower res on systems that require it as he already seems to be doing for the older systems.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Why do the developers with the hottest takes on the differences between these consoles always have games that look like this?

orphan-of-the-machine-xbox-series-x-2-5-740x370.png

Forgive me for "doubting the experts" here, but is the sequel to the addictinggames.com flash Shark game really pushing either of them? Did they REALLY tear into the API for bespoke optimizations for the hardware to render this dolphin? I might think that entering the console wars is the most free attention they get...

Edit: Aaand they're not even using the Tempest engine, and using Unity.This isn't a console performance thing, it's an indie dev hasn't optimized thing.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
I think it stands to question why this developer can't get it up to snuff. What is it about this game that's so demanding? I think Psykodad Psykodad may be onto something. Isn't Unity owned by Microsoft or something?
Someone posted that tweet in another thread.
Can't remember which one though, but he said it wasn't an issue with PS5 hardware, but with Unity.

Last edited:

Mmnow

This is going to be mayhem for the mods...

In all honesty though, 120 frames is going to be such a little used feature this gen, I'm not sure it's even worth worrying about. At this point, there's barely even any tvs that support it.

We're gonna have more disappointed people saying 120fps doesn't make any difference (because they don't have the required kit) than people who actually play this game at that framerate.

Does this have wider implications for both consoles? Potentially yes. That's probably why this guy tweeted what he did. But we definitely don't have the required info to properly know what we're dealing with.

Paulxo87

This whole 120fps thing.. The difference between 30 and 60fps is night and day. Nobody can argue this. Although I find a stable 30fps fine for most games.

I've never experienced 120fps but I can't imagine it makes a fuck of difference? Are you even able to tell? outside of competitive shooters where it could perhaps give you a leg up?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I feel like that both this thread and tweet are remarkably provocative in terms of console wars rather than being informative.
On a side note, thats the first I heard of this news site.
How is the thread provocative. I just posted a story that I saw. I did anticipate some blowback for just posting it, but I did not add any commentary other than my following comments, all of which question the ability of the dev, not Sony necessarily.

Drewpee

Banned
Don't shoot the messenger.

Didn't think about this till just now but toxic Sony gamers will likely be a reason the XsX is held back by developers. They will make the specs exactly the same for both, ignoring the power difference because they have been trained by Sony fans and will not want the backlash. That would be a terrible situation but the attacks like this on a small developer will make big developers think twice.

Last edited:

Raphael

Some OOTM tidbits. 4k/120 on XBSX, 4k/60 on XB1X, 940p/60 on XB1, 4k/60 on PS5, 1080p/60 on PS4Pro/PS4, 720/60 docked on Switch, not sure about Switch handheld mode yet. Those are the target resolutions and frame rates.

Normally i would Say ps5 will get more effects and better textures. But i dont even know what game is he making? Its not the doplhin thing is it? Cause if so lol. MS might have paid for this move haha.

Mmnow

Xb1x will be the best of the current gen graphics, PS5 will run at a similar graphical setting to XSX but at a lower framerate.

Those is likely going to be a running thing, so it's worth mentioning often. If Xb1x runs at a the same or higher native res than the PS5, obviously they're is more going on in the next gen version.

I've never experienced 120fps but I can't imagine it makes a fuck of difference? Are you even able to tell? outside of competitive shooters where it could perhaps give you a leg up?

On many games it really does make a difference. Once you get a chance to experience it, you'll know what I mean. Things are just SO smooth and "feel" better (I have no other way to put it into words).

That said, a slow moving dolphin swimming under water? Yeah, 120 vs 60 likely wouldn't make much of a difference.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I think it stands to question why this developer can't get it up to snuff. What is it about this game that's so demanding? I think Psykodad Psykodad may be onto something. Isn't Unity owned by Microsoft or something?
I honestly don't know the reason for this developer's inability to get the game to run at 120fps on the PS5. It's just a simple sidescroller, so even a PS4 Pro should be able to run it at 120fps.

The power gap between the PS5 and the XSX isn't great enough for the PS5 to be stuck at 60fps while the XSX hits 120fps; that's a 100% difference, so that developer needs to GTFO.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This whole 120fps thing.. The difference between 30 and 60fps is night and day. Nobody can argue this. Although I find a stable 30fps fine for most games.

If your tv can't do 120 fps, doesn't look like it makes a difference anyway.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Didn't think about this till just now but toxic Sony gamers will likely be a reason the XsX is held back by developers. They will make the specs exactly the same for both, ignoring the power difference because they have been trained by Sony fans and will not want the backlash. That would be a terrible situation but the attacks like this on a small developer will make big developers think twice.
People are seriously falling for this? lol

Top Bottom