• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil's Third - Import Impressions Thread

Ninja Dom

Devil's Third got it's Japanese release today. So this thread is for impressions and opinions for those playing the Japanese version.

Release Dates: Wii U

Japan - 4th August 2015
UK/Europe - 28th August 2015
US - Q4 2015

Valhalla is also publishing a PC multiplayer only version due for release shortly.

From Scoops thread, here are the first 75 mins of the Japanese version being played.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=1MLcA4XEwgs

Oh good, I've been waiting for an import impressions thread. Shame that 75 minutes of footage doesn't include online, looking forward to reading more about the finished thing.

Shiggy

The visuals remind me a lot of GoldenEye: Reloaded (that's not meant as a positive), though the AI seems to be a lot worse.

Not sure if the player is really bad or if the game is that frustrating.

Pyrrhus

The visuals remind me a lot of GoldenEye: Reloaded (that's not meant as a positive), though the AI seems to be a lot worse.

Not sure if the player is really bad or if the game is that frustrating.

I watched a stream of Japanese players in multiplayer earlier today and they were a lot more skillful in their play. The guy in that video linked in the OP is just poor. Can't seem to aim, control a right stick camera, or judge spacing worth a damn. The game might still not be gold. Wouldn't surprise me a bit. But he's definitely a bad player.

Shiggy

I watched a stream of Japanese players in multiplayer earlier today and they were a lot more skillful in their play. The guy in that video linked in the OP is just poor. Can't seem to aim, control a right stick camera, or judge spacing worth a damn. The game might still not be gold. Wouldn't surprise me a bit. But he's definitely a bad player.

Yeah, I guessed so. That guy was basically running into enemies without attacking them. Looked extremely frustrating, if that was me I would've given up lol

basik

this looks really fun in multiplayer when you watch a good player...shame they didnt let all those previewers try multi.
i think the single player in call of duty games sucks too.

Seems to be the general consensus, I guess it's not that surprising that few people have picked this up, compared with Xenoblade X when that launched in April.

I'm hoping someone uploads some footage of the online, I keep missing these twitch streams! Looks like the livestream with Itagaki is on YouTube now, though: https://youtu.be/8voSM_ZGBvI

impact

Banned
this looks really fun in multiplayer when you watch a good player...shame they didnt let all those previewers try multi.

This game makes CoD look fucking amazing, man.

multiplayer servers went online just a couple of days ago, so people with a review code are starting to play right now. however multiplayer previews and streaming is under embargo for another week and a half

Exile20

Seems to be the general consensus, I guess it's not that surprising that few people have picked this up, compared with Xenoblade X when that launched in April.

I'm hoping someone uploads some footage of the online, I keep missing these twitch streams! Looks like the livestream with Itagaki is on YouTube now, though: https://youtu.be/8voSM_ZGBvI

Here is a video of some online play
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw4...7OmrqKM9U&annotation_id=annotation_3794939231

tei15

I'll repost my impression from a gamefaqs thread.

I just beat the game, it took me around 7 hours to beat it. Last boss fight was extremely cool, very Character Action like, I really enjoyed it. Though the game ended sort of abruptly, it's a pity. In the last fight Ivan sort of "transforms" as a character and I was hoping that there're be some more game where we can play as this new Ivan, but BAM and credits started to roll.

Otherwise, I REALLY liked the game. It's very basic in it's mechanics, really barebone, but thanks to that it has an awesome feel of a really old school action/shooter, you just keep running forward shooting the s*** out of everything and then occasionally you face a really nicely designed boss. There aren't that many bosses (8 if my count is correct), but at least 5 fights are really memorable and challenging and I enjoyed them. It's a really simple game, but it has a really nice feel to it, it you enjoy good action games, chances are you'll like Devil's third.

As far as I can tell, there are no unlockables after beating the game BUT in each of 9 missions you can collect 6 items (crap like bottles of sake or magazines or stickers) and I didn't manage to collect all 6 in any of the mission, so maybe they unlock something, don't know for sure.

Also, after a game you get a really touching message from Itagaki thanking the players, really made me feel for the guy, I sure hope he'll be able to find funding for another game, I'd like to see where he goes after Devil's Third.

I just beat the game, it took me around 7 hours to beat it. Last boss fight was extremely cool, very Character Action like, I really enjoyed it. Though the game ended sort of abruptly, it's a pity. In the last fight Ivan sort of "transforms" as a character and I was hoping that there're be some more game where we can play as this new Ivan, but BAM and credits started to roll.

Otherwise, I REALLY liked the game. It's very basic in it's mechanics, really barebone, but thanks to that it has an awesome feel of a really old school action/shooter, you just keep running forward shooting the s*** out of everything and then occasionally you face a really nicely designed boss. There aren't that many bosses (8 if my count is correct), but at least 5 fights are really memorable and challenging and I enjoyed them. It's a really simple game, but it has a really nice feel to it, it you enjoy good action games, chances are you'll like Devil's third.

As far as I can tell, there are no unlockables after beating the game BUT in each of 9 missions you can collect 6 items (crap like bottles of sake or magazines or stickers) and I didn't manage to collect all 6 in any of the mission, so maybe they unlock something, don't know for sure.

Also, after a game you get a really touching message from Itagaki thanking the players, really made me feel for the guy, I sure hope he'll be able to find funding for another game, I'd like to see where he goes after Devil's Third.

Thanks for the impressions. Day one.

Neff

That's all I ask for from a game, really. Good to hear.

thanks for the impression

Kid Ying

I've just finished. The story is a mess and the characters are either unlikable or have no personality at all.

The graphics are also a mess. Some stages are beautiful and others are awful. The character models are great though.

The gameplay is quite strange. It shows that cod is its biggest influence. You've got a team of marines with you almost all time, there's breachings and even slowtime shootings in first person

The game in general is a series of rooms filled with soldiers and most of the time the only way to get out is by using guns. Melee is only useful to spare bullets most of the time. There is a cover system that doesnt work well. The protagonist glues into the the walls so easily sometimes you end up covering while you are fighting someone with melee. The game autosaves a lot, almost in every room, so you dont need to be nervous if you die on those shootings.

Lots of melee weapons, but they play pretty much the same with their weights being the only changing factor. In some bosses you need to use, cause bullets dont affect them. In those cases, you need to learn to use the camera, which is awful all the time. There is a boss called Ludmila at the end of the game thag gets much tougher just because of the camera.

The car section is just a tiny part of a stage, thank god, cause its the worst control i've ever saw. Truly awful.

The framerate is quite bad most of the time even when nothing happens and bugs happens from time to time.

Overall, it looks like one of those japanese games that tried to appeal to western gamers and ended up being something that appeals to no one. Some parts are nice, so i will give it a 4/10. Not the worst nintendo game of all time, but its the worst of them that i played recently.

Oh, just like the poster above, i didnt got the six memorabilia in any stage (got 5 at best) so i dont know if they do something else.

Neiteio

Overall, it looks like one of those japanese games that tried to appeal to western gamers and ended up being something that appeals to no one. Some parts are nice, so i will give it a 4/10. Not the worst nintendo game of all time, but its the worst of them that i played recently.
To be fair, Nintendo didn't develop. They just published this... for whatever reason.

robotrock

Banned
I've just finished. The story is a mess and the characters are either unlikable or have no personality at all.

The graphics are also a mess. Some stages are beautiful and others are awful. The character models are great though.

The gameplay is quite strange. It shows that cod is its biggest influence. You've got a team of marines with you almost all time, there's breachings and even slowtime shootings in first person

The game in general is a series of rooms filled with soldiers and most of the time the only way to get out is by using guns. Melee is only useful to spare bullets most of the time. There is a cover system that doesnt work well. The protagonist glues into the the walls so easily sometimes you end up covering while you are fighting someone with melee. The game autosaves a lot, almost in every room, so you dont need to be nervous if you die on those shootings.

Lots of melee weapons, but they play pretty much the same with their weights being the only changing factor. In some bosses you need to use, cause bullets dont affect them. In those cases, you need to learn to use the camera, which is awful all the time. There is a boss called Ludmila at the end of the game thag gets much tougher just because of the camera.

The car section is just a tiny part of a stage, thank god, cause its the worst control i've ever saw. Truly awful.

The framerate is quite bad most of the time even when nothing happens and bugs happens from time to time.

Oh, just like the poster above, i didnt got the six memorabilia in any stage (got 5 at best) so i dont know if they do something else.

SOLD

Can anyone fell me if the Japanese version has any English text or voice options?

Based on the NiNTENDOMiNATi0N video, it does not. However, there is apparently a bug in the Japanese version that it sometimes inexplicably switches to English audio during the game.

KingV

Based on the NiNTENDOMiNATi0N video, it does not. However, there is apparently a bug in the Japanese version that it sometimes inexplicably switches to English audio during the game.

Looking at Japanese streams, it looks like the lip syncing is in English.. Or at least NOT Japanese.

catmario

Can anyone fell me if the Japanese version has any English text or voice options?

Based on impression from import user at Ruliweb, Japanese version has dual-voice options. You can select voices between japanese and english.

But text is japanese only though.

danwu

Banned

I think I'm going to really enjoy this game too !

Top Bottom